• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GM3K1Qc.png
So the FOV is 130 degrees

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Yeeeeesh. £919 for the set.

If I wanted to just get the controllers for my it's like, £540 (controllers and two base stations as I have a Rift).

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I would have to spend $1000 since I don't have any previous base stations (sensors). Yeaaaah not gonna happen.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The headset price is whatever but I'm surprised at the cost of the controllers and especially the basestations.

I thought they were able to sell those to OEMs for $60 each? Maybe they don't want to kill HTC completely

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Look like I'm out, $1000 is too rich for my blood . Seems as though Valve decided against subsidizing the hardware - was way off on my prediction (Probably not wanting to kill off potential hardware partners). My only remaining hope is Valve is just trying to hit the early adopters hard, and will lower the price once they get through the initial people willing to pay out the ass. 120 Hz is a nice thing to see on a PCVR headset, could probably use 'always on' motion smoothing now. Now I'm going to have to make due with my old rift.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The headset price is whatever but I'm surprised at the cost of the controllers and especially the basestations.

I thought they were able to sell those to OEMs for $60 each? Maybe they don't want to kill HTC completely

It was assumed that was cost (as an incentive to get OEMs to build SteamVR systems). The typical markup needed on BoM is generally regarded as around 3X. So they're a little under or around 3X BoM.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was assumed that was cost (as an incentive to get OEMs to build SteamVR systems). The typical markup needed on BoM is generally regarded as around 3X. So they're a little under or around 3X BoM.

But they cost more than v1 basestations from HTC. Wasn't part of the point with v2 to reduce parts and cost?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
But they cost more than v1 basestations from HTC. Wasn't part of the point with v2 to reduce parts and cost?

Honestly, HTC got a lot of shit over their pricing, but it really wasn't that outrageous considering how expensive Lighthouse/tracking chips are. It's possible HTC has a more sophisticated production system too.

If rumors are true, Valve is manufacturing everything in the US. And they certainly don't have the experience with scale/factories that HTC does. I think the fact that HTC never swapped OG Vive to 2.0 tracking says something about these costs. HTC felt it was more profitable to just keep their production lines as they were rather than switch OG Vive to 2.0 tracking.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
Yeah that's too rich for my blood. And not available in my country anyway.
Might get the new HP headset if WMR headsets works well with steam vr

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
On the one hand I feel a little disappointed in the price.

On the other hand it's a definite step up from a Vive Pro in a few big ways and that's a $1400 set.

Status
Not open for further replies.