• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
Knuckles could be $200 by themselves lol people who think the whole package is gonna range around 399 have no clue.

"Upgrade your experience" tells me its going to have major new features, not a sidegrade ala Rift S or the other new inside out HMDs

This can't be understated. I love my Rift but ooph its hard to recommend it for room scale. Its such a potential pain in the ass. I built my PC specifically for VR and made sure I had like 12 USB slots. Still not enough for 3 sensors. Added a PCIE slot! Fucked my CPU or some shit and didnt improve tracking. Have to do a PRAM reset now and I've just put it off and played some regular pancake games since. Witcher 3 is pretty video gaem.

.....This just sounds crazy to me lol white is way more obvious plus it gets dirty a lot easier/more noticeably

Pancake games lol, as in TV games are flat like a pancake. That's rather amusing.
Simple things please simple minds I guess.

It's good the newer headset only require one wire.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone has done something about this. Companies sell prescription lens adapters for both Oculus and Vive, they are basically frameless glasses that fit just in front of the headset lenses. I use them myself on my Oculus Rift (and my Pimax to less effect), I take off my glasses and put on the VR headset. The Oculus Go even has official prescription lenses you can order.
Oh ok, where do you order them? Will be kinda annoying changing out the lenses though if you have friends over and your taking turns using the headset

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
That's not how Lighthouse tracking works.
The Lighthouse base stations are not sensors. They are emitters which send out synchronized beams of infrared light sweeping across the room for the sensors inside the headset to pick up. That's why they only need power and not a high bandwidth data connection to the computer like Oculus' USB3 cameras.

The array of sensors inside the headset detects these beams of light that the Lighthouses emit, and determine its position based on the precise timing differences between when each sensor detected the signal from the Lighthouse.

Most of my walls are light colors/shades of white, and I'd expect that to be the majority. Even with dark colored walls, most ceilings and molding are still going to be painted white. Black stands out a lot more.

My bad. Hate to spread misinformation, edited my original post too.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Yes, this is true. Markerless is a great, short and accurate term for describing the Rift S or WMR. My problem is that inside-out really is inherently better - but also that Lighthouse is inside out. It's short-selling what makes Lighthouse superior to the outside-in solutions if you don't recognize it as inside-out. There's a pretty important distinction between inside out, marker based tracking like Lighthouse and outside-in tracking like PSVR or Rift gen 1. Not least of which being the extreme setup and bandwidth requirements of needing data cables for each camera and the much smaller coverage zones in both distance and angle.
I also prefer the "markerless" terminology. It encapsulated the primary advantage of such technology -- not having to specifically prepare your environment.
(well, other than turning on the light, I often use my lighthouse-tracked HMDs without much illumination).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I don't see a bundle with Knuckles coming in under $500 and that's optimistic. I could see Knuckles costing anywhere from $100-$200 for a pair and if this headset is an actual gen 2 upgrade, I imagine it will be at least $400 alone if not more depending on what they packed in to it.
I think though that the Oculus Rift S is at least $100 over charged.
Considering Quest comes with internal chipset, memory, storage, battery...
Knuckles is great design but component cost with cheaper Lighthouse 2.0 emitters... $399 would be good.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I also prefer the "markerless" terminology. It encapsulated the primary advantage of such technology -- not having to specifically prepare your environment.
(well, other than turning on the light, I often use my lighthouse-tracked HMDs without much illumination).
The thing is, using the term "markerless" is just as inaccurate as using the term everybody already knows and uses, inside-out tacking. Marker-based tracking is where you have a static pattern (a "marker") in the room that a camera uses for tracking. Most commonly used are QR codes though it can be anything; 3DS used to come with some cards that it could use to track a position in 3D space for AR-based gaming. So all modern VR headsets use markerless tracking.

And it's just as confusing to people, since the term everybody, including people who work in the VR industry, uses, is inside-out tracking for any tracking that happens entirely in the headset without any external devices or physical objects.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's crazy to think we could be a few days away from finally learning all about the VR hardware and software Valve has been up to for years.
I wouldn't expect much from the software side. I think Valve would've likely teased their games already had there been big announcements in store. I feel like they'll likely focus on the hardware moreso and maybe provide some tech demos that could turn into games down the line. Any VR game projects they have will probably appear on their own time, if they do.

Deleted member 11832

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds pretty good, tho I hope they're doing away with Lighthouse stations. I don't want anymore clunky setups when you can have inside out tracking like on Quest/S.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is, using the term "markerless" is just as inaccurate as using the term everybody already knows and uses, inside-out tacking. Marker-based tracking is where you have a static pattern (a "marker") in the room that a camera uses for tracking. Most commonly used are QR codes though it can be anything; 3DS used to come with some cards that it could use to track a position in 3D space for AR-based gaming. So all modern VR headsets use markerless tracking.

And it's just as confusing to people, since the term everybody, including people who work in the VR industry, uses, is inside-out tracking for any tracking that happens entirely in the headset without any external devices or physical objects.

This isn't true, Lighthouse is marker based inside-out tracking. The sensors in the headset and controllers use the lighthouses as static positional markers.

Heh, I play Beat Saber in pitch black most of the time... makes me feel a little less self conscious in case people can see anything through my windows.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect much from the software side. I think Valve would've likely teased their games already had there been big announcements in store. I feel like they'll likely focus on the hardware moreso and maybe provide some tech demos that could turn into games down the line. Any VR game projects they have will probably appear on their own time, if they do.

It's a pretty well know secret Valve is working on Half Life VR.
Who knows if it will ship with this but I would hope they plan on shipping a killer app with this hardware.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck, I don't have that kinda money right now but I wanna upgrade badly. Hope it works with lighthouse and I hope knuckle controllers will also be available soon.

Deleted member 33597

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's a pretty well know secret Valve is working on Half Life VR.
Who knows if it will ship with this but I would hope they plan on shipping a killer app with this hardware.
They've been "working on it" since forever and the strings that show up then now and again tell us about as much as the strings referencing Half-Life 3 did. There's absolutely no indication the project is still being worked on and that the strings aren't just leftovers that keep being included in released builds by accident. That's why I'm suggesting people chill with the speculation. It's better to not expect anything software wise than think Valve's going to announce a new Half-Life game with their new VR headset and get burned like dozens of times before.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I don't think we're at the point where wireless is of sufficient quality/reliability and cheap enough to be the default option for a PC HMD.

What I do hope is that they support VirtualLink.

Then I hope they ship with a very long cable, the one with the Rift is too short and I haven't bothered trying to get a longer one.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
They've been "working on it" since forever and the strings that show up then now and again tell us about as much as the strings referencing Half-Life 3 did. There's absolutely no indication the project is still being worked on and that the strings aren't just leftovers that keep being included in released builds by accident. That's why I'm suggesting people chill with the speculation. It's better to not expect anything software wise than think Valve's going to announce a new Half-Life game with their new VR headset and get burned like dozens of times before.

I don't see any reason why he'd lie about this:

I highly doubt the HLVR game would be shelved, they know that one is gonna draw the most people. But you're right that doesn't necessarily mean there will be a game announcement coinciding with the headset reveal. Now the Boneworks game being developed by Stress Level Zero...I can see that being fully revealed.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Most of my walls are light colors/shades of white, and I'd expect that to be the majority. Even with dark colored walls, most ceilings and molding are still going to be painted white. Black stands out a lot more.
You know I read your comment twice and still missed that fact you were specifically talking about the lighthouse boxes lol

Yeah I agree that white would be better in that case. I've tucked my Rift cameras into some corners and in shelves that are obfuscated to the quick glance but a lighter colour would totally be more appealing to the eye.

Yet having a beige colored high tech VR hardware does sound weird lol

Pancake games lol, as in TV games are flat like a pancake.
When you're talking with VR in mind, the terms 2D and 3D become too broad, since you can have 2D in 2D, 3D in 2D, 3D in 3D (VR), 2D style in 3D (VR), 2D in a 3D in 3D (VR) and lets not forget 3D in 3D (fake VR) in 2D lol

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'm happy about the timing of this reveal as I've been considering (begrudgingly) going from Rift to S. The idea of removing the cables running up my wall and the sensor mounts is appealing. The difference in tracking would be worth the trade off for me personally as I'm firmly in camp "good enough" as far as that goes. So if there is some outside chance of the lighthouses being optional I would see the cleaner setup as a nice positive.

"Upgrade your experience" speaks directly to me and those like me who wanted a little more out of the S and I'm very curious to see the specs. Will be looking for new info daily until we hear something.

Feb 10, 2018
You know I read your comment twice and still missed that fact you were specifically talking about the lighthouse boxes lol

Yeah I agree that white would be better in that case. I've tucked my Rift cameras into some corners and in shelves that are obfuscated to the quick glance but a lighter colour would totally be more appealing to the eye.

Yet having a beige colored high tech VR hardware does sound weird lol

When you're talking with VR in mind, the terms 2D and 3D become too broad, since you can have 2D in 2D, 3D in 2D, 3D in 3D (VR), 2D style in 3D (VR), 2D in a 3D in 3D (VR) and lets not forget 3D in 3D (fake VR) in 2D lol

So your saying "pancake games" is a poor term?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It seems impossible to believe this won't demo with at least one Valve game. Jeep Barnett's been teasing for over 2 years that his VR game is coming out "soon". It's the infamous Valve "soon", but even by Valve calanders, it's reasonable to expect this thing is close.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
o.o I wasn't suggesting it was a poor term? I was just trying to explain it since you threw the "simple minds" shade lol

treemasterx

Nov 16, 2017
Watched the latest Valve News Network video on this, Tyler sounded like a different person.

This is an exciting time to see what Valve can do, especially after Artifact, Left for Dead 3, the multiple Half Life related projects.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I so hope we will see a much wider FoV out of this headset. That plus inside out tracking would certainly entice me to come over from Oculus land.

Feb 10, 2018
o.o I wasn't suggesting it was a poor term? I was just trying to explain it since you threw the "simple minds" shade lol

I guesss it is considered shade, but I disagree with that meaning, I think simple things pleasing simple minds can be a good thing.

You explained why "pancake game" was wrong and not true, so that is suggesting its a poor term.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
you guys remember that crazy rumor back then, that said that valve was waiting for technology to improve, cause they wanted to go full cinematic, but the technology for what they wanted wasnt there? this might be it. half life 3 lol.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
At the very least I hope this is backwards compatible with Vive wireless solution if it doesn't have it's own.

I don't want to go back to a wire.

At the very least, I suppose it is very likely the Knuckles will release by themselves and I can just use those with the my wireless Vive Pro. Not ideal because I expect Valve's solution to likely be an improvement (in FOV and probably ergonomics), but I still prefer wifi over those.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would happily take a 'Half-Life 2 Index Version' as a launch title. Dont even need Ep 3. Half-Life 2, Ep 1 and Ep 2 Index would fill my mind

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
you guys remember that crazy rumor back then, that said that valve was waiting for technology to improve, cause they wanted to go full cinematic, but the technology for what they wanted wasnt there? this might be it. half life 3 lol.

Haven't been this excited about a gaming related announcement in a long time. Super hyped. But I'm not going to lie. A little bit of me is looking forward to seeing the world burn to the ground when these VR titles finally get shown. The salt is going to be epic (if they're actually any good).

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the rumors, I'd keep my expectations low on HLVR actually being a thing. I think there's a good chance it's real, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure if I should try to sell my Vive or not. I'm not really in the position to buy a new headset without selling something to make up a lot of the cost.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, speculation time. When do you think they'll talk more about details on this thing and how? Assuming May really is the release, I'm starting to think they'll do an info dump (specs, prices, promo videos(s)) a month +1 day ahead of the planned release day then open up pre-orders the next day.

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, speculation time. When do you think they'll talk more about details on this thing and how? Assuming May really is the release, I'm starting to think they'll do an info dump (specs, prices, promo videos(s)) a month +1 day ahead of the planned release day then open up pre-orders the next day.
I'm expecting more info next week. I hope they do one of those countdown timers.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Valve usually does their Hawaii company vacation in early April so probably mid to late April at the earliest.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I'm assuming they'll invite a bunch of press to their HQ and do the unveiling that way.

Last edited:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
does it come in red

viewfinder-flash.png
I'd buy that add-on.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. I don't think we're at the point where wireless is of sufficient quality/reliability and cheap enough to be the default option for a PC HMD.

What I do hope is that they support VirtualLink.

This is basically guaranteed, Valve was listed by name on the initial founding PR sheets for VirtualLink last year.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They aren't going to sell this without controllers, this is a consumer headset trying to get people to buy Steam VR games, the vast majority of which require motion controllers. Plus the new lighthouses aren't compatible with HTC's old Vive controllers, and of course people with any other headset wouldn't be able to use their controllers with this.
The tagline is 'upgrade your experience', I'm sure they know a ton of Vive owners are going to want to the Index as their upgrade and forcing them to buy unnecessary new lighthouses and controllers to get the headset seems unlikely, and gen1 Lighthouse and Vive controllers will be compatible. I'll be shocked if there isn't a headset only option.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PokerStarsVR does it, and does it extremely well. Tabletop/card games are freaking great for social VR.
Oh wow. THIS so much this. PokerstarsVR impressed this shit out of me. As someone who tests these things and gets into alphas and such the tech is always cool and the future so interesting. But the social dynamic at times is wanting but man Pokerstars nails it with current everything. We did a very indepth discussion with some WMR devs about the future and that game was mentioned many times as a building block and good use case for particular things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.