• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
So there are a few steps that lead up to China yet again banning/censoring in response to criticism

China's state broadcaster will no longer show Sunday's match between Arsenal and Manchester City after comments made by midfielder Mesut Ozil, according to reports.
Ozil posted messages on Twitter and Instagram that were critical of China's policies towards Uighur Muslims on Friday.

The Global Times, China's national English language newspaper, reported on Sunday that the match would not be broadcast because Ozil's remarks had "disappointed fans and football governing authorities".

The two teams are due to kick off at 4:30pm UK time on Sunday, which would be midnight on Monday morning in China.

Ozil, who is a practising Muslim of Turkish descent, called Uighurs "warriors who resist persecution" and criticised Beijing's crackdown and the silence of Muslims in response.

He wrote in his posts on Friday: "(In China) Qurans are burned, mosques were closed down, Islamic theological schools, madrasas were banned, religious scholars were killed one by one. Despite all this, Muslims stay quiet."

Arsenal tried to distance themselvesfrom the comments on Saturday. The north London club shared a post from its official account on China's Twitter-like Weibo platform, which read: "The content he expressed is entirely Ozil's personal opinion.

"As a football club, Arsenal always adheres to the principle of not being involved in politics."

Arsenal received angry responses on Weibo, with one showing a shredded Ozil football shirt next to a pair of scissors. Others called for the midfielder to be expelled from the club.

Arsenal are obviously not backing their player because "that China money".

China claiming fake news despite

The United Nations and human rights groups estimate that between one million and two million people, mostly ethnic Uighur Muslims, have been detained in harsh conditions in Xinjiang as part of what Beijing calls an anti-terrorism campaign.

China has repeatedly denied any mistreatment of Uighurs.

In November, leaked documents emerged that contradicted government claims that the detention camps were voluntary training centres.

Classified documents appeared to confirm the testimony of many former detainees that they are centres for forced ideological and behavioural re-education.

Last edited:

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
He's fine with some evil fucks and not others is pretty obviously the point. Don't ask him for comment on bombing the shit out of Syria or wiping out Kurds.

Sure, okay, you're right.

What do you suggest we do? Ignore both?

Well, if you call out the horrible things China does to Uighurs but stay silent on the horrible things your best bud does to Kurds, then yes, you should kindly shut up.

Ozil has world wide reach with what he says. I'm okay with him not shutting the fuck up on this one.

I dont disagree about the Recep stuff...but Americans support Trump, Russians support Putin, English support Boris Johnson.

Ozil is 1 of billions of guilty people but I really dont think they should all shut the fuck up.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
That's awfully aggressive. Are you OK?
I'm very OK. I hate comments like that though. Everytime some thread appears about something a person has done, someone comes in and posts 'but they did this and that', which has nothing to do with the actual topic.

Nobody here said that Özil is a hero or anything. Nobody said he doesn't do bad stuff. But coming here and just stirring the pot with negative shit is totally unnecessary.

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Dictators being your best man should always be relevant.

It should and I wouldn't tone police anyone wanting to use the topic to comment more widely on Ozil, but bringing light to what China is doing to Muslims and the way in which businesses around the world will capitulate to them because of money is still worth doing.

Not a lot of people in positions of influence speak out about China because of the ramifications.

The business side of Arsenal football club will now be running around a room like headless chickens trying to appease China. Just in the same way Blizzard did. Doesn't matter if it's football, video games or Hollywood, capitulation to China is rampant.

Read this for a look at the severity

"Escape was impossible," she said. "In every corner in every place there were armed police."

She called the centre a "concentration camp... much more horrifying than prison," with rape, brainwashing and torture in a "black room" where people screamed.

She and another former prisoner told the ICIJ that detainees were given medication to make them obedient and listless.

https://news.sky.com/story/chinas-x...ents-lift-lid-on-uighur-brainwashing-11869700

Last edited:

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I guess nobody should be able to call out anything evil if they have a problem themselves I guess according to the responses here.

Shameful how much people will bend over not to call out China.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Derailed within 15 posts, nice.

China deserves to be called out. Arsenal has a huge draw worldwide so out of all the things that have been banned because of comments, I would say this is the most significant.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The moment when Mesut Özil has the moral high ground against your Club.

I fully agree with him in this case btw.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
lmao some of you.

nobody is saying he shouldn't call him out, anyone should call out evil.

but be prepared to be criticised if you have double standards yourself.

let me put this into perspective for you.

turkish fascists, of AKP/Erdogoon, are engaged in an ETHNIC CLEANSING CAMPAIGN THEMSELVES against KURDS.

China is also engaged in an ETHNIC CLEANSING CAMPAIGN against Uighurs.

Both are Muslim groups.

it's absolutely relevant to criticise him. This is as double standard as you come. This is not about him "calling out an evil doing".

the reason he's calling it out, is because Uighurs are Turkic muslims. He won't say jack shit about other Muslim groups under pressure from Turkish fascists, he's best buddy after all with a dictator at the helm of an ethnic cleansing campaign against another muslims group that aren't the "right ones".

there's a fuck ton of german turkish people here in germany that are very angry about Erdogoon/AKP and what is happening with Uighurs in China. These are the voices that matter. Someone like Özil should absolutely be called out in this regard, what he says about Uighurs means nothing *coming from him*, it's good it brings some attention to that cause but it's despite him personally, it's just his sport celebrity status that helps, but he himself is two-faced fuck. so people applauding him is sad/funny to me. nothing here he is doing is "good", i don't know how you can think that when he champions another ethnic cleansing campaign, the attention it brings is just a by product of his status, not him being a good person.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
You know what, maybe you're right. For me it's extremely hard to take Ozil seriously. That's about the nicest thing I can think to say about him.

The fallout from this has made mainstream press, it's on the BBC too

China's state broadcaster CCTV has removed Sunday's Arsenal-Manchester City game from its schedule after comments made by Gunners midfielder Mesut Ozil, state media has reported.

Ozil posted on social media about the treatment of Uighur Muslims in China.

Arsenal distanced the club from the German's views, saying it was "always apolitical as an organisation".

The Global Times described Ozil's comments as "false" and claimed he had "disappointed" football authorities.

In addition, the Chinese Football Association said Ozil's comments were "unacceptable" and had "hurt the feelings" of Chinese fans.

Even if the source is being questioned/examined, the actual message holds up for anyone looking into China and what it is doing.

Because China's response is to call Ozil's comments fake, which, objectively, they aren't. Even if you want to question the motives of the source.

BBC analysis of this

A few weeks ago I asked someone who is an expert on China-UK relations if the Premier League could face an 'NBA moment' if or when a player criticised China in public.

English football's top flight is such a global phenomenon, so diverse in its range of players, so vast in its audience spread.

The answer to my question was clearly yes.

The NBA's crisis in China showed how serious and how immediate the impact on commercial interests could be.

So important is football to the UK and its soft power that very senior British diplomats have pondered the impact on UK China relations of something like this.

The reaction to Ozil's comments appears more muted compared to Daryl Morey's Hong Kong support.

China's state machinery went after the NBA, not just the man and club. On this occasion it's targeting Ozil and to a limited extent Arsenal.

Any lasting damage here is likely to be sustained by him personally. Although there will also be some praise and support. You just won't hear about that in China's state-run media.

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
There's a simple solution to this. Don't be friends with genocidal cunts. And yeah, fuck off Arsenal.

I agree, but making this about the messenger is just a huge distraction on the actual topic. Whoever Ozil had at his wedding is pretty insignificant compared to the plight of millions under the thumb of genocidal autocrats.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I agree, but making this about the messenger is just a huge distraction on the actual topic. Whoever Ozil had at his wedding is pretty insignificant compared to the plight of millions under the thumb of genocidal autocrats.
the person he had at his wedding as BEST MAN is a genocidal autocrat engaged in an ethnic cleansing campaign right now...

nobody is saying not calling out evil is wrong. but he can absolutely be criticised when he champions evil himself, on the exact same issue, against a group that are not the "right Muslims". it's only good coming from him DESPITE him personally, only because of his celebrity sports tatus that brings it to the news. but it's not good personally *from him*.

so people wagging their finger saying not to criticise or bring it up are wrong.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So it's best he not call out anything then? What kind of logic is that?

I'd say it differs from "you can't champion X cause unless you also champion A-Z causes". Being personal friends with a murderous autocrat with his own systemic purge against a minority ethnic group compromises the message. He can definitely say it, but it'll ring a bit hollow when he gives a pass on a similar issue.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While he's right about China, while it's a good thing he calls them out. I think the double standard is important to underline, especially in this case where your best bud is a genocidal cunt as well. His words still have weight because he's a big player, however knowing this will perhaps temper the feelings of those who will immediately translate those as those of a 'hero' with a little background check.

I mean, I didn't know that detail myself, so I appreciate it. It helps staying grounded and having an informed opinion at least.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
the person he had at his wedding as BEST MAN is a genocidal autocrat engaged in an ethnic cleansing campaign right now...

I understand that, but Erdogan being invited to a celebrity wedding is basically gossip that doesn't address the actual politics and needs of people in danger.

Does this implicate Ozil in Erdogan's politics? I'm not sure - plenty of people can have "decent", normal social lives and intimacy with others, and yet be monsters in their day jobs.

The more relevant topic here is moneyed interests and the powers that be ignoring a genocide because capitalism. That's got much scarier, wider and harmful implications than this one players potential bias on Erdogan because they are close.

Jul 19, 2018
Haha people still stanning for ozil, utterly embarrassing. It's perfectly reasonable to say that he's right with this, but also to point out that he's still a fucking massive twat and anyone lending him their support is implicitly condoning him being bffs with a genocidal dictator.

One of my friends is an arsenal season ticket holder and can't accept any criticism of him, it's pathetic. His argument is that he can 'separate the player from what he does off the pitch'.

'how far does that go then? Would you support him if he was a rapist, for example?'

'he's not a rapist'

....kinda missing the point.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
China continues to alienate the rest of the world by not understanding that the type of bullying and overt control it exercises internally cannot be applied externally. Ban the NBA, ban soccer, ban films, blah blah blah. Eventually you just look like a petulant child throwing a temper tantrum because people are calling you on your BS.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I understand that, but Erdogan being invited to a celebrity wedding is basically gossip that doesn't address the actual politics and needs of people in danger.

Does this implicate Ozil in Erdogan's politics? I'm not sure - plenty of people can have "decent", normal social lives and intimacy with others, and yet be monsters in their day jobs.

The more relevant topic here is moneyed interests and the powers that be ignoring a genocide because capitalism. That's got much scarier, wider and harmful implications than this one players potential bias on Erdogan because they are close.
Erdogan being best man is an implied endorsement by Özil. It is not that hard.

Doesn't mean that Özil is wrong this time though. If Arsenal wasn't spineless they should have condemned his support for Erdogan and supported him in this case.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Haha people still stanning for ozil, utterly embarrassing. It's perfectly reasonable to say that he's right with this, but also to point out that he's still a fucking massive twat and anyone lending him their support is implicitly condoning him being bffs with a genocidal dictator.

One of my friends is an arsenal season ticket holder and can't accept any criticism of him, it's pathetic. His argument is that he can 'separate the player from what he does off the pitch'.

'how far does that go then? Would you support him if he was a rapist, for example?'

'he's not a rapist'

....kinda missing the point.
plenty of people supporting actual rapists like Ronaldo, so I'm not even sure if that would move the needle for many with other football players.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
This has nothing to do with this topic. What are you trying to accomplish? Fuck off with that shit here.

Good on Özil. Fuck China's terrorist government. Free the Uighurs.

Ozil is supporting Erdogan who wants to wipe out the Kurds, how is this shit not relevant to the topic? You should fuck off.
You can't call out a genocide, while ignoring another one perpetrated by your fascist genocidal friend.
It's like condemning Hitler while inviting Mussolini to your wedding.

Fuck China's government and fuck Ozil's hypocrisy, he has no moral ground to stand on.

Would you applaud a famous Chinese person for condemning what Erdogan is doing to the the Kurds, yet showing support to Xi Jinping?
I wouldn't, because it would be fucking hypocritical.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Ozil is absolutely right about China, yet even in his statement he reveals how stupid he is. Muslims are silent about China, says the man who remains silent about what his pal does to other ethnic minority Muslims. But the Kurds aren't Turkic so why would Ozil give a fuck. If the Uighur were Kurdish, would Ozil have said anything? I doubt it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By process of elimination I feel like a decade from now China will have summarily banned every major form of outside media except for maybe a few notable exceptions. Imagine if someone at Disney said something about the Hong Kong protesters?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
By process of elimination I feel like a decade from now China will have summarily banned every major form of outside media except for maybe a few notable exceptions. Imagine if someone at Disney said something about the Hong Kong protesters?

"Disney has hurt the feelings of Chinese fans, and have insulted China itself! BANNED!"

It is incredible how they keep mentioning how calling out their genocidal behaviour hurts the feelings of Chinese fans. Fuck their feelings.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ozil is a hypocrite. That is a fact.

However, what he said is a good thing. I don't care if he is a hypocrite if it leads to China's genocide being exposed to more people. People saying "he shouldn't say this if he doesn't talk about Turkey" should maybe rethink what they are saying. Call him out as much as you like but that doesn't mean what he said somehow shouldn't be said.

The fact China's crimes are being talked about is a good thing.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
If Turkey would do something like that and not china he would love it.

Özil is such a hypocrite and tool.

But still calling china out is good no matter from which idiot it is.