• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What skill level are you? (Answer will guide discussion)

• Beginner - I can only draw stick figures

Votes: 128 52.5%
  • Intermediate - I'm comfortable with drawing

Votes: 85 34.8%
  • Advanced - I've done art for years

Votes: 31 12.7%

• Total voters

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this course posted:

https://www.udemy.com/manga-art-school-anime-and-manga-style-character-drawing/

I was wondering if it was actually a good beginner course for someone who would like to draw in that specific style, or if it's useless if I don't know the fundamentals first (or if it doesn't actually teach anything new from said fundamentals).
Do you actually want to draw like that dude? If you're not drawing the first obstacle is to start drawing so if it gets you to start drawing regularly then its as good as anything else. If your looking instructions on how to draw and want materials focused around manga style art try and track down some copies of How to Draw Manga: Sketching manga style. They're part of the old school how to draw manga books with the red titles that were actual translated books from Japan.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any drawing courses that are part of the current Udemy sale (6 hours left) that anyone can recommend? I finally bought the bullet and purchased a couple of courses for A+ studying, so I was wondering if there were any stellar drawing courses, or if the free stuff linked previously will suffice.

Edit: Huh, totally forgot I asked a similar question before. But again, there's a sale right now so the question stands.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Following the art schools banning anime thread made me think of how difficult it can be to keep up your motivation for learning and growing your skills. And it made me think of an excellent book helping you to do just that. Not so much focussing on techniques but on a way of looking and thinking. Lynda Barry's Syllabus is really a joy to read and work with.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/12/02/lynda-barry-syllabus-book/

"Hardly anyone has explored this delicate relationship between drawing and looking, drawing and experiencing, drawing and thinking with more rigor, wit, and insight than Lynda Barry, one of the greatest visual artists of our time. In 2011, Barry joined the faculty at the University of Wisconsin to teach a class titled "The Unthinkable Mind" — a wonderfully unusual interdisciplinary course exploring the biological function of the arts and the psychological mechanisms of the creative impulse by blending cognitive science, visual art, and writing. Barry's magnificently illustrated syllabus notes and class assignments, many of which she had released on her Tumblr throughout each semester, are now collected in Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor (public library | IndieBound) — a slim but infinitely invigorating compendium of illustrated exercises, instructions, and meditations on everything from how to keep a diary (because, as we know, the creative benefits of doing so are vast) to memorizing things effectively to navigating the psychological phases of the creative process to why art exists in the first place."

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've returned to trying drawing again because I did not have the discipline to sit myself down and draw before. I've been drawing every day this month for at least 1-2 hours.

I've been working my way through DrawABox, and have been looking into Proko's figure drawing series. I'm having a tough time with gesture drawing at the moment. Some of the relatively easy poses look alright, but more difficult poses look bad and the more complicated ones I don't even know where to start.

I think I've been trying to work on study/fundamentals too much without actually just drawing anything. I get frustrated trying to work on my gestures then I kind of just stop for the evening. I'm afraid that if I just draw random things for fun I may just be reinforcing habits that I do not even know I have.

How do most people divvy up their drawing time? 50/50 with study/fun?

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, congrats on your discipline to spend 1-2 hrs each day on drawing!

I haven't gone through Proko's figure drawing series, but I've had figure drawing classes and I assume they're similar. If you're having trouble with gesture drawing, try to focus on the line of action -- the line that runs through the body from the top of the head through the feet. You're basically drawing stick figures, trying to capture the pose. For 30 second gestures i usually end up with pages of stick figures, and for 2 minute gestures I have a bit more time to fill out the stick figures a bit.

Another tip for gesture drawing is to hold your pencil like this:
holding_the_pencil_for_gesture_drawing_by_spiritedfool-d4n0iuu.jpg

It may feel strange at first, but will keep your lines loose and flowing. It will help you in the long run.
If possible, you should see if there any life drawing classes or groups are held near you. Drawing with fellow artists is great support and inspiration, and you'll improve quickly.

You should definitely try to keep things enjoyable for yourself. Keep things fun and draw things that interest you, because there's no reason that you can't combine the study with fun. For instance, I'm trying to get better had drawing hands, so I've been trying to incorporate more hands in my drawings while still drawing things that I like. Keep things fun, but make sure you're challenging yourself.

I don't know if this any of this helped or was what you're looking for, but if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. Or if you want to throw up a drawing or two for a critique, I'd be happy to give my two cents.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First of all, congrats on your discipline to spend 1-2 hrs each day on drawing!

I haven't gone through Proko's figure drawing series, but I've had figure drawing classes and I assume they're similar. If you're having trouble with gesture drawing, try to focus on the line of action -- the line that runs through the body from the top of the head through the feet. You're basically drawing stick figures, trying to capture the pose. For 30 second gestures i usually end up with pages of stick figures, and for 2 minute gestures I have a bit more time to fill out the stick figures a bit.

Another tip for gesture drawing is to hold your pencil like this:
holding_the_pencil_for_gesture_drawing_by_spiritedfool-d4n0iuu.jpg

It may feel strange at first, but will keep your lines loose and flowing. It will help you in the long run.
If possible, you should see if there any life drawing classes or groups are held near you. Drawing with fellow artists is great support and inspiration, and you'll improve quickly.

You should definitely try to keep things enjoyable for yourself. Keep things fun and draw things that interest you, because there's no reason that you can't combine the study with fun. For instance, I'm trying to get better had drawing hands, so I've been trying to incorporate more hands in my drawings while still drawing things that I like. Keep things fun, but make sure you're challenging yourself.

I don't know if this any of this helped or was what you're looking for, but if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. Or if you want to throw up a drawing or two for a critique, I'd be happy to give my two cents.

I think I've been trying to do sometime that looks like a 2 minute gesture drawing in 30 seconds. Trying too much more in than is necessary to capture just the gesture. I've also been trying to copy and compare my gestures to Proko too much which doesn't help either. I should not be surprised that my gestures do not look as good or as natural. I'll give holding my pencil like that a shot. Some of my lines feel a little stiff holding a pencil like I normally would.

Your point about incorporating study into fun is not something that I had really considered. There is nothing I am studying specifically yet, but that will definitely be helpful in the future.

I'm starting from basically 0 experience so there is certainly a lot to take in, and a lot I did not even know about to begin with.

If I have any other questions I'll be sure to post them here in the future, and eventually some of my own art.

Thanks for the advice!

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I was doing some of these to warm up and thought it might be a useful exercise to share in here.

If you're working digital, zoom way in and do a rendered thumbnail like this. It takes the pressure off of feeling like it has to be good, and having such a finite amount of pixels makes you work in a more impressionistic way. On top of that, if you like what you come up with, you can blow up your thumbnail and give yourself an underpainting to work from for a more rendered piece.
H5K8vwm.png

6tNGxhc.png

S8PTOTw.png

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm coming here from the recent thread about wanting to learn to draw. I have zero experience or talent in drawing but I am very interested in learning how to draw as a new way to tell stories. I'm trained in writing but I have always envied how artists can tell stories silently through their art.

Anyway, I'm someone who learns well from books. I read through the OP and I see so much good information and different aspects of learning to draw, but I'm a bit paralyzed with where to start. I feel like I don't actually know enough about the main categories in the OP to make an informed decision of where to start. Is there one (or two) books that are a good starting place for an absolute beginner? I have heard a lot of good things about Andrew Loomis books but everyone seems to have a different opinion of which order to actually work through the books, and I see that each section of the OP recommends a related Loomis book. But looking at sample pages they all seem rather intimidating. I get that the first step is just putting lines on paper, but I would feel more comfortable working alongside a book (or video series or whatever).

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If my end goal is to learn pixel art(similar to Stardew Valley), would I be best starting off with those wacom tablets or should I learn how to draw with pencil and paper first?

Oct 25, 2017
If my end goal is to learn pixel art(similar to Stardew Valley), would I be best starting off with those wacom tablets or should I learn how to draw with pencil and paper first?
Pixel art specifically is generally created by using mouse input to fill everything in pixel by pixel. A drawing tablet won't help you at all unless you want to put pixels over a sketch you've drawn. You could also just sketch on a paper and take a quick photo instead if that's the case. Learning how to properly draw/paint will be very useful no matter what medium you apply it to, of course.

Speaking of tablets, I just ordered a Huion Kamvas Pro 13. Hoping it's not too much worse than a Cintiq. I've always felt very disconnected using a non-display tablet while drawing so hopefully this will make it a bit more intuitive. Luckily my tolerance for troubleshooting software stuff is pretty high unless the drivers/hardware are completely borked.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to start with pen and paper first before a tablet? I think that if I eventually get a tablet (recommendations?) I probably wouldn't return to pencil/paper if that matters.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is it worth it to start with pen and paper first before a tablet? I think that if I eventually get a tablet (recommendations?) I probably wouldn't return to pencil/paper if that matters.
All of the skills that you learn by working with traditional media work well for digital, but the same isn't true going the other way. For that reason, I'd recommend starting with traditional. I also think it's a good idea to stick to ink rather than pencil when first starting out. When you can't erase it encourages the development of clean lines a lot faster.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I am getting back to drawing now. I used to draw a lot, but after an injury I can't really do that anymore and have to re-learn with my opposite hand. Attempts at doing it on paper are not going well because of the somewhat ridiculous amount of mistakes I am making given the injuries, so I was thinking of getting a tablet.

What's a good drawing tablet? Should I get one with a screen or without?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot this thread existed, thank you Scoobs for bumping it. I used to draw a ton back in high school (10 years ago now 😓) but basically fell off it entirely when I went to University/started working outside of some doodling here and there. I recently picked up an iPad Air which I'm using as an excuse to relearn some drawing skills (and I've restocked on notepads and pencils!) I added this thread to my watch list forever ago as a resource to use when I eventually got to this point and had desire to relearn so here I am!

Here's my first drawing in 10 years:
It's the little Bard from Wandersong for those who don't know! I really fucked up his right hand...
D6r-Sn8X4AA1XL8

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
I want to start painting. Not painted/drawn since I was a kid. Was told I should start drawing again first but to be honest I want to jump straight into painting. Any tips, materials I should buy as a beginner, canvases, types of papers, paint etc?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

For the past 1.5 years, I draw everything with pencil and paper and then bring a scan into iPad/Procreate and "ink" and add color. Before that I was all digital from when I started drawing (2013 or so). I'm really happy with this process and I feel like my drawings have more personality and style now.

Maybe start with something cheap like the base iPad with Pencil support ($250 at Best Buy now) to see how much you like digital and how it will fit into your workflow.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Awesome thread. I suddenly found an interest in drawing. I have so many ideas and dreams that I want to communicate with other people, and I think drawing them will be the best way for me to do that. Used to draw as a kid, and took a few art classes in high school which I loved. However, once those were over, I haven't really drawn in 2 decades.

I'm starting with an Ipad Pro and Procreate. I also will practice in real paper with pencil. And I'm planning on devoting some time everyday to practice.

Jul 18, 2018
Getting back into drawing by hand via pencil/ink (just used to digital too much atm).... is there any good recommendations on sketchbooks? Preferably multipurpose or just ink/pencil

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Getting back into drawing by hand via pencil/ink (just used to digital too much atm).... is there any good recommendations on sketchbooks? Preferably multipurpose or just ink/pencil
Not really but I prefer smoother paper for ink. Only real adivice is that don't spend too much so your not afraid to do terrible work in it.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017

My favorite for the past two or three years has been the Moleskine Large sketchbook (5"x8.25"). For me at least, it's a nice portable size, yet still not too small for sketching. Nice smooth paper with just a bit of tooth, and fairly thick if you want to use pens, ink or watercolors.

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8883701151/

Jul 18, 2018
Not really but I prefer smoother paper for ink. Only real adivice is that don't spend too much so your not afraid to do terrible work in it.
Makes sense, i should definitely invest in a few of same type when starting off

My favorite for the past two or three years has been the Moleskine Large sketchbook (5"x8.25"). For me at least, it's a nice portable size, yet still not too small for sketching. Nice smooth paper with just a bit of tooth, and fairly thick if you want to use pens, ink or watercolors.

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8883701151/
ooh, thanks! Wasn't aware they made any for art. I shall actually try this out very soon, thanks again
Edit: Any issues with bleeding?

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, i should definitely invest in a few of same type when starting off

ooh, thanks! Wasn't aware they made any for art. I shall actually try this out very soon, thanks again
Edit: Any issues with bleeding?

You're welcome!
Nope, not that I remember. Maybe a bit of bleed, but not as bad as some other papers and sketchbooks I've used. That said, I usually use pencils with the sketchbooks. The paper is also thick enough where I don't think I've ever bled through to the other page, even when using something like a Sharpie. Although I usually play it safe and throw a piece of scrap paper underneath if possible, when I'm doing that.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Is the recommendation that the topics in the OP be tackled in order if someone is a beginner? I'm probably heading to the library today and would like to know what book/s to get.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas