• Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Artbooks & Gaming books |OT| A new era, a new shelf

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have the new Amani book?
Do you mean Amano? If so I do and love it. It's all very high quality and the supplemental book about his visit to France is neat. There are pages where you see a photo of him sketching a subject and the sketch itself with a little blurb about it, like what the subjects did when they noticed he was drawing them.

It's not cheap but it was completely worth it to me, especially as it has an actual autograph from him, something I've long wanted. I've yet to watch the blu-ray so can't comment on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean Amano? If so I do and love it. It's all very high quality and the supplemental book about his visit to France is neat. There are pages where you see a photo of him sketching a subject and the sketch itself with a little blurb about it, like what the subjects did when they noticed he was drawing them.

It's not cheap but it was completely worth it to me, especially as it has an actual autograph from him, something I've long wanted. I've yet to watch the blu-ray so can't comment on that.
Yea, autocorrect. Do you have any photos? I’m thinking of getting it and I’m curious about what’s in it.

Oct 27, 2017
I wan't to get in the habit of posting a few pics of my art books. I seem to be ordering quite a lot lately so i'll do my best to share :)

I got this today (sorry for the crappy pics) :

It's smaller format art book, almost like a comic sized hardback but i love it. It's wall to wall Toriyama character design. The only game it's missing is XI (it has one image from that). As far as i know the art book for that was only released in the special edition of the game?

Pure bliss looking through this on my commute home :)

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, autocorrect. Do you have any photos? I’m thinking of getting it and I’m curious about what’s in it.
Here you go (I'm not sure if there's a way to post imgur links without the white borders):

First is the sleeve containing the blu-ray, two prints, and autographed CoA. Then the France sketchbook. Then the main book with its contents.

Oct 26, 2017
I wan't to get in the habit of posting a few pics of my art books. I seem to be ordering quite a lot lately so i'll do my best to share :)

I got this today (sorry for the crappy pics) :

It's smaller format art book, almost like a comic sized hardback but i love it. It's wall to wall Toriyama character design. The only game it's missing is XI (it has one image from that). As far as i know the art book for that was only released in the special edition of the game?

Pure bliss looking through this on my commute home :)
Book looks great, I haven't ordered it yet but I've been gathering up his other art books, love his older designs in particular.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the new Amano book?
I do. The limited edition is well worth it in my opinion.

You get a signature, the two postcards, and the documentary which basically mirrors the book with video of his time in France.

My favorite ancedote is from the interviewer describing how Amano had some of his iconic Final Fantasy pieces just stacked on top of each other in his studio cabinets.

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Ooh, that's interesting. I've had the book on my Amazon wishlist for a bit. The one complaint I've read about, which has held me from buying, is that the book dedicates far more pages to I-III, then to IV-VI. Seems kind of... backwards. But English text might have just sold me. Besides, I've been meaning to get a hold of the Gravity Daze artbook, but I too didn't want to make an order for just a single book. Thanks for that bit of info.
Yeah I would say 2/3 of the book is FF1-3, and 1/3 is FF5-6 (with the FF7-15 stuff and the long interview with Kazuko Shibuya being a bonus). I feel there's a reason for that though. The book is designed less of an artbook and more of a showcase and reference for the style of pixel art employed in FF. So when focusing on the evolution of the pixel art used in the games, it's less about picking the best looking sprites to showcase, and more about laying the foundation and showing changes over the course of the games. That being said, I do feel there could have been even more content, but given the niche appeal of such a book, perhaps it was a balance of costs. It's not a thin book by any means, but to be a more comprehensive collection of the pixel art, it would have to be twice the size at least I think.

So has anyone ordered from Bitmap Books' US website yet? I made my first order with them today after waiting months for it to launch and it was....not great.

I ordered the NES and SNES visual compendiums and the Neo Geo Visual History. The NES and Neo Geo books arrived and are wonderful but they were kind of damaged in packaging. The sleeve of the NES compendium is folded badly around the edges and the entire bottom right corner of the Neo Geo book was noticeably bent to the point there was an imprint on all of the pages. But hey, at least I actually received those.

The SNES book, well....who the hell knows where that went. I opened the package and along with the two books I ordered and the shipping slip to verify that I had ordered all three was.... a floor vent in place of my last book. I don't even have any floor vents in my house.

I dunno if there was an error at the USPS sorting station or what but I really can't fathom how two of my three items shipped with the invoice listing all three, but with a completely unrelated item in place of the third. I sent an email to bitmap about it but realistically I don't know what I expect them to be able to do about it.

So yeah. I can vouch for the quality of the books themselves, as even with their cosmetic issues from shipping I don't regret buying them one bit. The ones I actually got at least. >_> But unless there's enough positive reviews of the service out there to be able to note mine as an unfortunate outlier I'd definitely say they're a buyer beware atm.

Do you like these books?

The character profiles are not very well written, and the real highlight seems to be the pixel art. I was hoping for more development interviews and planning docs.
Not sure atm, received this book only today. I need to spend more time with it. What I can say right now, even "as is" there's a lot of stuff that I never saw before.

Though, about "development interviews and planning docs" I kinda agree.

Jan 10, 2018
No pics, but I got my copy of the Breath of the Wild book "Creating a Champion" today and holy crap it's huge! Can't wait to get home from work and pour over it.
Just a little thing, but I love how the spine design is consistent with the other Zelda books Dark Horse has published. I really appreciate that stuff.

Anyway, thought this would be the place to ask, but this Xenoblade Chronicles 2 art book was announced the other day- what do you think the chances are of this being released in English?