• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
A french editor, mana books, just published a single hardcover regrouping both DS1 & 2 artbook into one. As there is barely any text, it could be in your interest, unless you are looking specifically for the Udon edition

411507-d17f0d3099dd2ddf036163366689be10-article_image_d-1.png

Thanks! I would possibly consider that one. But since I already have books for 2 and 3, it would be nice to complete the collection.

Its frustrating because I've tried contacting Udon and they never write back. It's very annoying.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

It looks like Pix N' Love is gonna make a Samurai Shodown Artbook.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
New Amano?
hmm so is there any news on a English print? I want this asap and I might not wait.

Dark Horse occasionally publishes his books in English, but this one has no commentary to worry about. They typically announce new titles at San Diego Comic Con if you are willing to wait.

~~~
Amano Book Review #1: Maten
Amano Book Review #2: Hiten
Amano Book Review #3: Think Like Amano
Amano Book Review #4: The Virgin

Amano Book Review #5: Collected Paintings of Amano's World (ISBN 978-4331902127)

G3Exl7F.jpg

Collected Paintings of Amano's World is a peculiar book. It's not attached to an exhibition, nor is it a collection of commissioned work. Instead, it is a collection of personal works and sketches. This book features over 300 pieces, the bulk of them being ink on paper with a smattering of acrylic paintings on wood.

Compared to Amano's most famous paintings, many of these pieces look relatively simple. They typically feature a single character, often times with a few brushstrokes taking the place of his typical intricate hair rendering. However, these pieces offer a glimpse into the working process of creating a new Vampire Hunter D cover or Final Fantasy painting. The usual sword-brandishing warriors, women in repose, and Guin Saga characters also make appearances.

So far, the paintings are exclusive to this book. I would recommend it to completionist fans or artists who want a window into Amano's method of brainstorming. I should mention that this book is A5 size, measuring only 8.27x5.83 inches. Disappointingly, the size of the paintings themselves or their names is not indicated. At a retail price of 3000 yen for the standard edition, it is a fair price considering the book's compact size and large number of pieces.

I have uploaded fourteen scans to Imgur as I did not believe four images was enough for this review: https://imgur.com/a/WioLfxX

Amazon Japan link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/COLLECTED-PAINTINGS-AMANOS-WORLD-天野喜孝/dp/4331902129/

4JkeZA5.jpg
qLvwIlg.jpg

qlBT52c.jpg
w7Q4RU0.jpg

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

And as expected. Their books are very good but I hope they translate this one to English.

Oct 31, 2017
Just read an email from Pix'n'Love Editions: they'll release a 200 pages artbook named "The Art of Samurai Shodown" including artworks, concept arts, design documents and sketchs used by SNK to make the upcoming game.

vLJa3lXk7s1i6IYqeoMH1DwBTO9Vf-meo3BMbdNqdckQhYBqVLz6B2c9jESqhHh5yjZ2d-5AiBqTmSwQetb5UFdoWoJx=s0-d-e1-ft

Edit: too late ! :D

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Just read an email from Pix'n'Love Editions: they'll release a 200 pages artbook named "The Art of Samurai Shodown" including artworks, concept arts, design documents and sketchs used by SNK to make the upcoming game.

vLJa3lXk7s1i6IYqeoMH1DwBTO9Vf-meo3BMbdNqdckQhYBqVLz6B2c9jESqhHh5yjZ2d-5AiBqTmSwQetb5UFdoWoJx=s0-d-e1-ft

Edit: too late ! :D

I love some good SNK art. I'm a tad disapointed its only for the new one. I'll probably pick this up

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Horse occasionally publishes his books in English, but this one has no commentary to worry about. They typically announce new titles at San Diego Comic Con if you are willing to wait.

~~~
Amano Book Review #1: Maten
Amano Book Review #2: Hiten
Amano Book Review #3: Think Like Amano
Amano Book Review #4: The Virgin

Amano Book Review #5: Collected Paintings of Amano's World (ISBN 978-4331902127)

M7IpoWj.jpg

Forgot to ask but where did you order this from? Amazon Japan is charging me $10 for shipping. Any alternative sources to buying this?

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Awww man The Amano book is 6x8 -_-
Its still pretty though.

I just realized it doesnt tell you the materials he used as well. Knocking points off for that.
Ehh I'm nitpicking.

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Awww man The Amano book is 6x8 -_-
Its still pretty though.

I just realized it doesnt tell you the materials he used as well. Knocking points off for that.
Ehh I'm nitpicking.

Yeah, it's pretty tiny. The paintings are nice, but they're more like warm-ups for the bigger paintings.

Most of the pieces should be in acrylic except for the gold foil parts. He just waters the paint down a lot.

There's a great video showing a peek at his materials + archives.

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
Got my Xenoblade 2 artbook way earlier than anticipated (today instead of Monday)!!!

edit: oof, these are huge images. Sorry in advance lol

20190301_132311.jpg

20190301_132318.jpg

Quick question, I already have the artbook that came with the EU CE (Collected Works 220 pages) and am looking to pick this one up. Do you happen to know whether or not these 2 books share a lot of art? It would be a bit of a waste to buy it and then find out i already have most of the art.

Thanks!

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Quick question, I already have the artbook that came with the EU CE (Collected Works 220 pages) and am looking to pick this one up. Do you happen to know whether or not these 2 books share a lot of art? It would be a bit of a waste to buy it and then find out i already have most of the art.

Thanks!

I'm American but I also own the same Collected Works book. There is some overlap, but while the first book focused more on the world, Titan designs, and the main characters/antagonists, the second book is much more focused on the Rare Blades and new art only in that book.

There is still a lot of world design in both books, and there's also a whole section in both books on weapons. I think there's some overlap in there in regards to those, but the second book also has Torna-exclusive art.

Both books have their own substantial exclusive art, so don't worry about overlap.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I love some good SNK art. I'm a tad disapointed its only for the new one. I'll probably pick this up
Same, I thought it was going to be for the whole series, still interested but will wait for a preview.

probably should order this one too, looks so cool

An art book just for the expansion! I suppose this won't be included in the Splatoon 2 English translated version. I wonder how likely this will be published in the west.

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
I'm American but I also own the same Collected Works book. There is some overlap, but while the first book focused more on the world, Titan designs, and the main characters/antagonists, the second book is much more focused on the Rare Blades and new art only in that book.

There is still a lot of world design in both books, and there's also a whole section in both books on weapons. I think there's some overlap in there in regards to those, but the second book also has Torna-exclusive art.

Both books have their own substantial exclusive art, so don't worry about overlap.

That's great to hear, i'll pick it up then. Thanks for the feedback!

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Cinematic Art of Starcraft came out recently. It focuses on all the CGI cutscenes. The Cinematic Art of World of Warcraft has been pushed back to October...

Here's a very through preview of all the pages.

May 30, 2018
i've never ordered from RightStufAnime - do they have easy cancellation before shipping? i trust the Amazon price will go down but it seems worth it to get an order in at RSA just in case.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I've never had a problem cancelling, but note it is more involved than just a button click. You need to open a ticket saying you want to cancel an order, and then wait for them to respond.

gati3478

Apr 13, 2018
Has anyone any idea how much from each separate (DS1 and DS2) Futurepress guides is in the DS Compendium? The amazon page says 500+ pages, but it also lists DS Remastered Guide having 400+ pages. Is DS Remastered Guide really that big?

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone any idea how much from each separate (DS1 and DS2) Futurepress guides is in the DS Compendium? The amazon page says 500+ pages, but it also lists DS Remastered Guide having 400+ pages. Is DS Remastered Guide really that big?

DS remastered is 463 pages, includes Artorias of the Abyss. I imagine they might cut down on the pages that list the values for every reinforced weapon. I mean, it's nice to know a Magic Plank Shield +10 has a attack value of 78 physical and 84 magic, whilst the Fire +10 has 80 in both physical and fire but it's not massively necessary.

For reference the DS2 guide is 463 as well but no mention of DLC, DS3 guide by Prima (bleugh) is 400 with no DLC.

Also, I should be getting Sekiro guide tomorrow!

Last edited:

gati3478

Apr 13, 2018
DS remastered is 463 pages, includes Artorias of the Abyss. I imagine they might cut down on the pages that list the values for every reinforced weapon. I mean, it's nice to know a Magic Plank Shield +10 has a attack value of 78 physical and 84 magic, whilst the Fire +10 has 80 in both physical and fire but it's not massively necessary.

For reference the DS2 guide is 463 as well but no mention of DLC, DS3 guide by Prima (bleugh) is 400 with no DLC.

Also, I should be getting Sekiro guide tomorrow!
That's great, please share your thoughts about it

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

collector edition of Samurai showdown artbook is only 10$ more than regular (49 instead od 39)
This limited and numbered edition includes:

• An exclusive cardboard box with cut-out and "soft touch" effect.
  • A numbered certificate of authenticity.
  • 2 large format lithographs (28 x 25 cm) with Haohmaru and Yashamaru.
  • The artbook The Art of Samurai Shodown.

https://www.pixnlovepublishing.com/accueil/865-the-art-of-samurai-shodown-collector-s-edition.html

Discover:

• nearly 700 official illustrations.
  • all characters, weapons, costumes and backgrounds.
  • unused tests, drafts and research work in the final version of Samurai Shodown.
  • the storyboards and epilogues of each fighter.
  • unpublished interviews with illustrator Yumi Saji and Director Nobuyuki Kuroki.
Looks dashing

gati3478

Apr 13, 2018
Got an e-mail from Amazon saying that Dark Souls Compendium has been postponed till the end of June. Has anyone else received it too?

cvltclassic

Oct 27, 2017
Got an e-mail from Amazon saying that Dark Souls Compendium has been postponed till the end of June. Has anyone else received it too?

Yes, I got that email as well.

For some reason I thought the Sekiro Futurepress guide was coming out today, but I must have been confusing that with this one. The Sekiro guide is Tuesday the 30th according to Amazon.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I got that email as well.

For some reason I thought the Sekiro Futurepress guide was coming out today, but I must have been confusing that with this one. The Sekiro guide is Tuesday the 30th according to Amazon.
The Sekiro guide was originally listed for April 15th.

Good thing I don't rely on physical strategy guides anymore. The things never come out until you've been done with the game for a month.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
That's great, please share your thoughts about it

Just got it delivered today - I've the contents page in a spoiler just in case. From a very quick flick through I'd say it's at least up to the standard of the Dark Souls guides from Future Press - very detailed on every aspect, well designed and looks good all round. Very pleased with it at first glance!

Apologies for the potato quality - photos aren't my thing

img_2051rzj1p.jpg

img_20627ijsp.jpg

img_20636zkuv.jpg

img_206424jd3.jpg
img_20600ikx6.jpg

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Hello friends,

I am happy to report that I finally got my hands on a brand new Dark Souls artbook without having to resort to paying $200 CAD for one on eBay.

While it was still an inflated price, the fact that I was able to find it without having to break the bank makes me so happy!

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Just got my copy of Devil May Cry 5 Official Art Works

This cover is absolutely amazing. Really digging the book as well, would love to understand the commentary bits though. Also would have preferred a hardcover book instead of softcover, but I'm still really happy with my purchase

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

This cover is absolutely amazing. Really digging the book as well, would love to understand the commentary bits though. Also would have preferred a hardcover book instead of softcover, but I'm still really happy with my purchase

I forgot this was announced. It looks superb. That cover :O

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

Oh my goodness! How much Yoshikawa artwork is there in the book? Is most of it Yoshikawa? Are there a ton of Kawamori designs for the Devil Breakers too?

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wow, I don't even follow DMC that much and I would pick up that art book for 5, the art for the series is usually pretty amazing.