• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Dang. Just got a email that the Blade Runner 2049 Interlinked art book got delayed from October to May 12th, 2020.

Also Amazon has a 200 page Cyberpunk 2077 art book up for pre-order now.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

It looks like CD Project is doing it again same as for Witcher 3:
locking the artbook in the collector edition
and releasing a lore / world book stand alone...

I'm not sure how I feel about this

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Depends what you want.

I recommend:
- Evangelion : Artwork and Illustration Collection :
md6705186180_4.jpg

No idea how old it is and if you can find it. First half is full page Sadamoto paintings and characters arts, the ones that made it to be the manga covers. These are the most beautiful and iconic Eva artworks from the late 90s. Second half is detailed black pen of every characters, costumes, robots, vehicules, rooms, accesories, gizmo, building, everything. It's a goddam treasure for the anime fans. But its not the usual " Groundworks " you can find for animation. This is not the story board with early animation sketches (Eva has a lot of these books, I wont cover them here as Im not so found of them)

- Die Sterne :
latest

This one is rather easy to find, its a collection of official works made for the show and all the merch around it. Its not always made by the original artists but that the point : it will be characters art for coffee commercial, travel brands, fashion brands, OST covers, anniversary illustration... it's like an official fan art book for all the licensed Eva art. It's amazing, I love this one for the variety it shows and how you can find the characters we love being dressed casual, hiking, biking, etc... It has a few full pages of original Sadamoto art at the end, gorgeous but ultimately a bit redundant with the early pages of the book I mentioned on top.

- Evangelion Illustration 2007 - 2017 :
grw46601_0.jpg

This is Die Sterne, but for the new movies called " Rebuild ". If you enjoyed the new movies, go for it. (we are still waiting for the 4th and final Rebuild movie)

- Der Mond :
1421507676.jpg

This is a Sadamoto (evangelion lead chara designer) illustration book, covering Evangelion but also his earlier work at gainax : Nadia of the Blue water, Wings of honneamise etc... This is short but beautiful if you really like Sadamoto soft colors and painting.

Udon is also bringing this to the US (or is it already available ?) :
Evangelion-TV-cover.jpg

And I have no idea what is it but I suspect it might be the detailed character and vehicules and building plans I mentioned in the first book so this might be good.
This is also a great companion to the Der Mond book mentioned above since it's more of Sadamoto's beautiful art. And it's not too hard to find on Amazon or eBay:

59NZApf.jpg

(just search Carmine Sadamoto)

There are numerous other books out there that haven't been released outside of Japan, so I can't really speak on what's best or most comprehensive, but out of the handful I've seen Carmine and Der Mond are probably my favourites as far as just straight up Eva art.

Also hyped for that Production Art Collection Kate posted. Hopefully it's good.
Are either of you familiar with the Evangelion Chronicle: Illustrations book? Looks like there's an original edition with Rei and a revised edition with Asuka on the cover. It looks pretty good from the pages I've seen.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget ArtbookEra that Prime Day always has a few artbook deals. There's the straight $5 off of $15 (I already used mine lol). Some specific VG artbooks like Mass Effect Andromeda, MGS1-4, and Breath of the Wild are all upcoming deals as well.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Are either of you familiar with the Evangelion Chronicle: Illustrations book? Looks like there's an original edition with Rei and a revised edition with Asuka on the cover. It looks pretty good from the pages I've seen.
I've seen that one on Amazon, but I don't have it.

I do own both of the similarly titled Essential Evangelion Chronicle books. Both of them are fantastic, though they focus on the lore and the worldbuilding in the show, so I don't know if I'd call them artbooks. There's a lot of text and background info.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Same. It says August, but I'm going to take a "it'll get here when it gets here" attitude. I bought this thing in January lol
Is it common for art books to have so little transparency on this stuff? This has happened a couple times with art books I've preordered, and to my knowledge none of them put out a formal update for the delay.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Looks like it's some art from the normal Chronicle books.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The US release by Udon (featured in the quoted video) is the original one (even though on parka blogs it mistakenly says it's the revised edition). The Japanese revised edition with Asuka has new pages with art from the Rebuild movies (as you can see in the vid below).

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the Spider-Man Far From Home artbook just got pushed back from today to October 1st. Super annoying.

May 30, 2018
did anyone get that Gears Retrospective book and have thoughts on it? i haven't opened it and am thinking about returning it due to other big purchases lately

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
The visual biography of Amato showed as a lightning deal for me and with the PrimeBook19 coupon it came to 18. My order went through and was going to post here and it was gone.

Anyone else saw it? Not sure if it sold out or was a mistake 🤷‍♂️

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah CheapAssGamer posted about it. It's over now.

They overprinted the limited edition. 5000 copies is too many for this book, but 1000 copies was too little for The Sky.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has been happening with some Marvel artbooks lately due to them wanting to avoid leaks (at least that's my theory). Usually these books come out around the same time the movies release but the Infinity War book didn't come out until the fall as is the case with the upcoming Endgame book and now the Spidey one.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

I do own both of the similarly titled Essential Evangelion Chronicle books. Both of them are fantastic, though they focus on the lore and the worldbuilding in the show, so I don't know if I'd call them artbooks. There's a lot of text and background info.

The US release by Udon (featured in the quoted video) is the original one (even though on parka blogs it mistakenly says it's the revised edition). The Japanese revised edition with Asuka has new pages with art from the Rebuild movies (as you can see in the vid below).

Thanks! Looks pretty good. I'll try to pick up the revised Asuka version. Seems a lot more spendy than the original unfortunately.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Just got a email that the Blade Runner 2049 Interlinked art book got delayed from October to May 12th, 2020.

Definitely buying this. I wonder if it'll be a case like The Witcher III though where the art book from the Collector's Edition is better than the standalone.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the Spider-Man Far From Home artbook just got pushed back from today to October 1st. Super annoying.

On Amazon, it was showing October for a while now, at least it was when I looked it up a few weeks back.

They usually release the Marvel art books day and date with the films (with the exception of the Infinity Wars/End Game books) so I was surprised that Far From Home wasn't coming out until later.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As something to just pick up and flip through from time to time, should I grab the Dark Souls Compendium or the Design Works stuff?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just ordered the Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection (http://blog-soth.blogspot.com/2010/10/evangelion-20-complete-records.html) for 136€ used, which is a great deal. Can't wait to finally own it. Now i need to find the 1.0 records as well (although interestingly enough, some places still have brand new copies).

The 1.0 CRC is a bit underwhelming compared to the 2.0 CRC, it just one book + storyboards, while 2.0 has 2 books and storyboards.

Also khara recently announced the 3.0 CRC, but it is probably going to be released after 3.0+1.0 release in theaters as Anno said it contains spoilers for the final movie.

khara has also started selling the storyboards and the books seperate in different formats, the interviews however are not included. Hopefully they'll publish them in english too in the future.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really cool that they're still panning to release one for 3.0.

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
Kazuma Kaneko Works Vol. 8 will release on the 25th of August in Japan.
It will only focus on Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. That's why it will only be 144 pages long.

I'm kind of disappointed. I wish they included SMT If... and Maken X/Shao artworks too in this one.

I really hope there will be a volume with Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 artworks, as well as the original Strange Journey.

For now, we have:

Volume 1: SMT1. (SNES)
Volume 2: SMT2. (SNES)
Volume 3: SMT3 Nocturne, SMT1 (PS1), SMT2 (PS1) and SMT: NINE.
Volume 4 & 5: Devil Summoner.
Volume 6 & 7: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers.
Volume 8: Persona, Persona 2: IS and Persona 2: EP.

Aside from Vol.8, they are all available on Amazon Japan.

Last edited:

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone end up picking up that "Fire Emblem If Visual Collection - Pellucid Crystal" art book? Is it as comprehensive as the one they released for Awakening?

I can post my copy.
Here with Dark Horse's Awakening release
lKi81dS.jpg

Underneath the slip cover
69KDPiM.jpg

Making of the cover
MziYpGp.jpg

Table of contents
hVPagZr.jpg

Inside
l0gy2QI.jpg

Cipher and full character illustrations

In game portraits and sketches

Misc character sketches and designs

Story cutscenes

Bonus: My friend and I got Kozaki's signature recently. I got Lucina, they got Travis.

It also has sections on backgrounds and environment design, creature design, DLC art, and such. Well worth it in my opinion if you liked the art in Fates, and comparable to the Awakening artbook.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Is it just me or is the font in those Essential Chronicle books really, really fucking small?

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I can post my copy.

Cipher and full character illustrations

In game portraits and sketches

Misc character sketches and designs

Story cutscenes

Bonus: My friend and I got Kozaki's signature recently. I got Lucina, they got Travis.

It also has sections on backgrounds and environment design, creature design, DLC art, and such. Well worth it in my opinion if you liked the art in Fates, and comparable to the Awakening artbook.

So I'm wondering, is this a hardcover artbook? I looked it up on Amazon and it says "Paperback".

Sorry if it's an obvious question. I can't tell from the pictures.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
can't find it. Where to look ? In the book section ? on specific items ?

With Amazon.de I always just pick the "Foreign Books" section from the dropdown window. If that doesn't show up, you can set your search options for Books to english, and pretty much everything should show up. I bought my Alita HCs that way via Amazon.de.