• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Just reordered my the supposed Red Dead Redemption 2 artbook listing with the $5 off $20 book deal. Now looking at $17 for it.

Good so far, now if they would just confirm it!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My Dark Souls III art book arrived. It is indeed excellent, but after seeing it didn't have any interviews like the others I kinda regretted waiting so long for the localized version.
true but i'd say that there's a lot more to say regarding the latter games.
Why is that? FF I was one of the first console JRPGs, II eschewed the typical level up system, III introduced a more complex class system a la Dragon Quest III, IV provided a well developed cast for the first time, V offered an excellent and richly defined class system, VI traded in the class system for a richer, fuller cast and introduced an almost vignette style story to introduce its characters one by one, etc. I don't think there's a lot more to say about the later games at all given that the earlier games did so much.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Why is that? FF I was one of the first console JRPGs, II eschewed the typical level up system, III introduced a more complex class system a la Dragon Quest III, IV provided a well developed cast for the first time, V offered an excellent and richly defined class system, VI traded in the class system for a richer, fuller cast and introduced an almost vignette style story to introduce its characters one by one, etc. I don't think there's a lot more to say about the later games at all given that the earlier games did so much.

Probably because we have FF X-2, XI and XIV expansions, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns. Maybe XII Revenant Wings, too. But I haven't opened my vol. 1, so I don't know if they include direct sequels in the book (Is FF IV After Years included in vol. 1?). I wonder if vol. 2 will also include Advent Children and the whole VII spin offs...

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Probably because we have FF X-2, XI and XIV expansions, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns. Maybe XII Revenant Wings, too. But I haven't opened my vol. 1, so I don't know if they include direct sequels in the book (Is FF IV After Years included in vol. 1?). I wonder if vol. 2 will also include Advent Children and the whole VII spin offs...

It only includes mainline games.

man, that's a lot of games for one book. :(

The Japanese version is broken down like this:

X - page 6-104
XI - 106-154
XII - 156-228
XIII- 230-318
XIV- 320-330

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
ah, that's too bad. oh well.

You can always ask the developer and LRG if there will be a chance of a small reprint. There might even be a few extras left aside for potential lost ones during shipping. LRG does that with its print runs and sells them during later sales like Black Friday, or at trade shows, to get rid of remains inventory. I don't think these books are made yet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
You can always ask the developer and LRG if there will be a chance of a small reprint. There might even be a few extras left aside for potential lost ones during shipping. LRG does that with its print runs and sells them during later sales like Black Friday, or at trade shows, to get rid of remains inventory. I don't think these books are made yet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Honestly, I didn't even know it existed before today so I'm not really broken up about it.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I've been looking around online for a bunch of artbooks, here and there, and I found something I've had my eye on. Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives. I freaking love Dishonored, and I've been meaning to replay the first game because I never got around to playing any of the DLCs. What a perfect way to get back into that universe!

I know it's not much of an artbook, more of a lore book. Still, I believe the book is on the rare side nowadays, at least if trying to purchase online in the US. I've seen it for $100+ on Amazon, Ebay, etc. Thought I'd post, in case anyone else was interested.

Barnes & Noble - $35.99 - Free Shipping - 20% off with coupon code : CYBER20
[Link]

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not much of an artbook, more of a lore book. Still, I believe the book is on the rare side nowadays, at least if trying to purchase online in the US. I've seen it for $100+ on Amazon, Ebay, etc. Thought I'd post, in case anyone else was interested.
Huh. I didn't realize it started becoming scarce. I still have my copy.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
My Dark Souls III art book arrived. It is indeed excellent, but after seeing it didn't have any interviews like the others I kinda regretted waiting so long for the localized version.

i just would assume there's more reference material available to use for the modern games compared to the older ones really.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Final Fantasy, I got the first Ultimania Archive in from Amazon and have been reading on and off since Saturday. What a great book. Makes me want to fire up FF IV or VI for the umpteenth time.

Will definitely pick up volume 2. Maybe volume 3, though I don't really care about any of the games post IX.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
man...that dark souls 3 design works just sold out on amazon! are there alot of text that requires translation or will the japanese version suffice?

Also, abit OT from gamebooks, anyone know where i can buy the Kamen rider and super sentai encyclopedia artbooks?

Last edited:

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what happened to the RDR2 artbook that leaked earlier in the year? I haven't seen any news about it :(

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Volume 3 is available for pre-order – https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Ultimania-Archive-3/dp/1506708013/

81Jn1DIAMTL.jpg

I'll have to buy this one

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the day would never come, but FFXIV Encyclopedia Eorzia is back in stock at the SQEX shop. The second volume just released as well.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I got the collector's edition RDR2 guidebook today. I am so glad I bought this...

The book is absolutely amazing. Every single bit of content is covered in the guide, in full detail. Every single animal, npc, weapon, chance encounter, point of interest, elixer, everything is in there.

The pages are very thick and glossy quality, and the cover is debossed with a glossy Arthur. It is perfect.
Lots of photos:

It's pretty mind-blowing just how much content is in the game. I see a ton of stuff I missed despite playing over 150 hours so far.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up the Pokemon Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee guide book. I'll miss Prima... nice detailed guides, and the Pokemon ones also had extra sections full of interviews and tons of concept art/designs.

Finalpotion

Jun 24, 2018
Just picked up my Breath of the Wild: Creating a Champion Champions' Edition, this thing is MASSIVE; I can't fit it onto my shelf. Be warned.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The Amano biography is starting to release in comic shops. Apparently the limited edition is about 5000 copies, far more reasonable than the 1000 signed copies of The Sky they released. Comes with signature, Blu-Ray documentary, Paris sketchbook, and two prints (Terra & Vampire Hunter D)

Crunchyroll has a preview of the translation from French, which seems quite good: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...artist-yoshitaka-amanos-illustrated-biography

4CkClAB.jpg

3b2R4UF.jpg

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Question for anyone here who might know. In your opinion, what is the best Resident Evil Art book out there?

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any word on a Kingdom Hearts art book? I know there's a mini one coming with some version of the game, but the series deserves a complete one.

Finalpotion

Jun 24, 2018
Question for anyone here who might know. In your opinion, what is the best Resident Evil Art book out there?

Hard to tell, honestly. Most of the RE books have been quite lackluster. If I had to choose, though, I'd pick Udon's Art of Resident Evil 5, well above any of the others.

Just hope that The Resident Evil 2 ReMAKE has an accompanying artbook, or that Capcom partners with Titanbooks, Insight, or DarkHorse.

Cheers.

MukuMuku

Oct 31, 2017
The Udon RE artbooks are lackluster for me. It feels like they were copy pasted from the game. I saw some previews of the book online.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only RE artbooks/companions I've come across have been the Archives. First one has some interesting art in a small section in the middle, but the book is more of a lore resource than anything else.

Not the greatest quality though. Half of my copy is falling apart. Pretty sure Brady Games did the publishing.