• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have the new Amani book?

Do you mean Amano? If so I do and love it. It's all very high quality and the supplemental book about his visit to France is neat. There are pages where you see a photo of him sketching a subject and the sketch itself with a little blurb about it, like what the subjects did when they noticed he was drawing them.

It's not cheap but it was completely worth it to me, especially as it has an actual autograph from him, something I've long wanted. I've yet to watch the blu-ray so can't comment on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean Amano? If so I do and love it. It's all very high quality and the supplemental book about his visit to France is neat. There are pages where you see a photo of him sketching a subject and the sketch itself with a little blurb about it, like what the subjects did when they noticed he was drawing them.

It's not cheap but it was completely worth it to me, especially as it has an actual autograph from him, something I've long wanted. I've yet to watch the blu-ray so can't comment on that.
Yea, autocorrect. Do you have any photos? I'm thinking of getting it and I'm curious about what's in it.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I wan't to get in the habit of posting a few pics of my art books. I seem to be ordering quite a lot lately so i'll do my best to share :)

I got this today (sorry for the crappy pics) :

IMG-20190114-200211-01.jpg
IMG-20190114-200230-01.jpg

IMG-20190114-200342-01.jpg
IMG-20190114-200454.jpg

It's smaller format art book, almost like a comic sized hardback but i love it. It's wall to wall Toriyama character design. The only game it's missing is XI (it has one image from that). As far as i know the art book for that was only released in the special edition of the game?

Pure bliss looking through this on my commute home :)

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, autocorrect. Do you have any photos? I'm thinking of getting it and I'm curious about what's in it.

Here you go (I'm not sure if there's a way to post imgur links without the white borders):

First is the sleeve containing the blu-ray, two prints, and autographed CoA. Then the France sketchbook. Then the main book with its contents.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I wan't to get in the habit of posting a few pics of my art books. I seem to be ordering quite a lot lately so i'll do my best to share :)

IMG-20190114-200454.jpg

It's smaller format art book, almost like a comic sized hardback but i love it. It's wall to wall Toriyama character design. The only game it's missing is XI (it has one image from that). As far as i know the art book for that was only released in the special edition of the game?

Book looks great, I haven't ordered it yet but I've been gathering up his other art books, love his older designs in particular.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the new Amano book?

I do. The limited edition is well worth it in my opinion.

You get a signature, the two postcards, and the documentary which basically mirrors the book with video of his time in France.

My favorite ancedote is from the interviewer describing how Amano had some of his iconic Final Fantasy pieces just stacked on top of each other in his studio cabinets.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Ooh, that's interesting. I've had the book on my Amazon wishlist for a bit. The one complaint I've read about, which has held me from buying, is that the book dedicates far more pages to I-III, then to IV-VI. Seems kind of... backwards. But English text might have just sold me. Besides, I've been meaning to get a hold of the Gravity Daze artbook, but I too didn't want to make an order for just a single book. Thanks for that bit of info.
Yeah I would say 2/3 of the book is FF1-3, and 1/3 is FF5-6 (with the FF7-15 stuff and the long interview with Kazuko Shibuya being a bonus). I feel there's a reason for that though. The book is designed less of an artbook and more of a showcase and reference for the style of pixel art employed in FF. So when focusing on the evolution of the pixel art used in the games, it's less about picking the best looking sprites to showcase, and more about laying the foundation and showing changes over the course of the games. That being said, I do feel there could have been even more content, but given the niche appeal of such a book, perhaps it was a balance of costs. It's not a thin book by any means, but to be a more comprehensive collection of the pixel art, it would have to be twice the size at least I think.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This BOTW Creating a champion book is huge, holy shit. It's like 1.5 times the overwatch one.

Props to Dark Horse for publishing this material.

Oct 28, 2017
So has anyone ordered from Bitmap Books' US website yet? I made my first order with them today after waiting months for it to launch and it was....not great.

I ordered the NES and SNES visual compendiums and the Neo Geo Visual History. The NES and Neo Geo books arrived and are wonderful but they were kind of damaged in packaging. The sleeve of the NES compendium is folded badly around the edges and the entire bottom right corner of the Neo Geo book was noticeably bent to the point there was an imprint on all of the pages. But hey, at least I actually received those.

The SNES book, well....who the hell knows where that went. I opened the package and along with the two books I ordered and the shipping slip to verify that I had ordered all three was.... a floor vent in place of my last book. I don't even have any floor vents in my house.

I dunno if there was an error at the USPS sorting station or what but I really can't fathom how two of my three items shipped with the invoice listing all three, but with a completely unrelated item in place of the third. I sent an email to bitmap about it but realistically I don't know what I expect them to be able to do about it.

So yeah. I can vouch for the quality of the books themselves, as even with their cosmetic issues from shipping I don't regret buying them one bit. The ones I actually got at least. >_> But unless there's enough positive reviews of the service out there to be able to note mine as an unfortunate outlier I'd definitely say they're a buyer beware atm.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Do you like these books?

The character profiles are not very well written, and the real highlight seems to be the pixel art. I was hoping for more development interviews and planning docs.
Not sure atm, received this book only today. I need to spend more time with it. What I can say right now, even "as is" there's a lot of stuff that I never saw before.

Though, about "development interviews and planning docs" I kinda agree.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
No pics, but I got my copy of the Breath of the Wild book "Creating a Champion" today and holy crap it's huge! Can't wait to get home from work and pour over it.
Just a little thing, but I love how the spine design is consistent with the other Zelda books Dark Horse has published. I really appreciate that stuff.

Anyway, thought this would be the place to ask, but this Xenoblade Chronicles 2 art book was announced the other day- what do you think the chances are of this being released in English?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
No pics, but I got my copy of the Breath of the Wild book "Creating a Champion" today and holy crap it's huge! Can't wait to get home from work and pour over it.
Just a little thing, but I love how the spine design is consistent with the other Zelda books Dark Horse has published. I really appreciate that stuff.

Anyway, thought this would be the place to ask, but this Xenoblade Chronicles 2 art book was announced the other day- what do you think the chances are of this being released in English?

Woah; thanks for this! Had no idea. I'll be ordering tonight.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bought the artbooks for Hearthstone, Horizon, BOTW, Dishonored 2 and GOW.

First one was kinda underwhelming but the second is great. Just wished Titan books credited the artists more properly on the Horizon ZD one.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Looking for some feedback from those who have a bunch of Soejima books. Which would be better value for an order - the two Art Works books that cover 2004 to 2017, or the Persona 5 artbook? The two Art Works books seem pretty thin (152 and 208 pages) and I seem to recall there is a lot of white space to pad pages? Meanwhile the Persona 5 book is like 512 pages? Lol. Some short reviews from those who have all 3 of these books would be nice. Thanks!

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some feedback from those who have a bunch of Soejima books. Which would be better value for an order - the two Art Works books that cover 2004 to 2017, or the Persona 5 artbook? The two Art Works books seem pretty thin (152 and 208 pages) and I seem to recall there is a lot of white space to pad pages? Meanwhile the Persona 5 book is like 512 pages? Lol. Some short reviews from those who have all 3 of these books would be nice. Thanks!

it depends what you are looking for. If you want some persona art, go for P3, P4 and P5 artbooks. If you want Soejima art (including his other works like Catherine) you can check his own books.

But P5 artbook might look huge, it's also very much filled with some not so interesting stuff like iconography but the commentary on the chara design is a must have if you enjoyed the game

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
From 2012 to 2015, I purchased nearly 80 books. Since 2016, I've only gotten six.

I have around 30 still that are on my wishlist. I don't know when I'll ever crunch through it, especially since some are rare as expensive as fuck.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

IMG-20190114-200454.jpg

I have the Japanese version of the DQ art book and I'm having a very hard time holding off on double dipping for the English version. This book originally came out before DQ XI released in Japan so that's why only the hero is included. Unlike most special edition art books, the one that came with the DQ XI special edition is actually quite nice, though I imagine it's hard to get a hold of now for people who missed out. The other main DQ art book is the Monster Encyclopedia, which is a pretty comprehensive (at the time of publication several years ago -- there are many new monsters at this point) bestiary of DQ's monsters. It has a lot of Japanese text but I definitely recommend it for DQ fans. Then there's the new 20th Anniversary Monster Master Memories book which I haven't gotten yet but seems like more of a magazine mook type deal.

Do you like these books?

The character profiles are not very well written, and the real highlight seems to be the pixel art. I was hoping for more development interviews and planning docs.
If you don't have it already, the FF DOT book is great. It's not a huge book but it's all pixel art and highlights some of the best sprites from the series, though it's far from comprehensive.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Bought the artbooks for Hearthstone, Horizon, BOTW, Dishonored 2 and GOW.

First one was kinda underwhelming but the second is great. Just wished Titan books credited the artists more properly on the Horizon ZD one.
I like the Horizon one as well. Lots of good commentary.

To your point about crediting, this is something that is done very very well in the Overwatch art book. It's called out on almost every page who did what, even tho it's the same handful of names often times. Super cool.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
for some reason Amazon JP canceled my Pre-order of Xenoblade 2 Artbook, now im fucked if they dont do more re-prints :/

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've been slowly collecting the Kazuma Kaneko SMT art volumes and I was wondering -- has there even been an art book that covers the first two games in the series on the Famicom, Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei I and II? Those games have unique designs compared to the Shin games and I'm quite fond of some of them.

On a related note, have there been any art books that cover:

Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (remake of DDM:MT 1 and 2)
SMT If...
Last Bible series
Majin Tensei
Giten Megami Tensei (I know extremely little about this game)

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like the Horizon one as well. Lots of good commentary.

To your point about crediting, this is something that is done very very well in the Overwatch art book. It's called out on almost every page who did what, even tho it's the same handful of names often times. Super cool.

Oh agreed. The Overwatch one is really good. It's weird that the horizon one has this layout that doesn't include the authors of the pictures on every page. I think it's the only one with that issue in my collection.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
for some reason Amazon JP canceled my Pre-order of Xenoblade 2 Artbook, now im fucked if they dont do more re-prints :/
They sort of removed their listing completely. Due to the release date change it seems they are doing some changes on the backend for that item. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'll post an update here when I see it go up again.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Oh agreed. The Overwatch one is really good. It's weird that the horizon one has this layout that doesn't include the authors of the pictures on every page. I think it's the only one with that issue in my collection.
Interesting....

Now I should look through my collection and see how prevalent that is. Certainly isn't in the first two Ultimanias, though those aren't technically art books I suppose. Will have to keep a more watchful eye!

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I got the collector's edition RDR2 guidebook today. I am so glad I bought this...

The book is absolutely amazing. Every single bit of content is covered in the guide, in full detail. Every single animal, npc, weapon, chance encounter, point of interest, elixer, everything is in there.

The pages are very thick and glossy quality, and the cover is debossed with a glossy Arthur. It is perfect.
Lots of photos:

It's pretty mind-blowing just how much content is in the game. I see a ton of stuff I missed despite playing over 150 hours so far.
Who makes this? Just finished the game and tempted to get the guide for another playthrough.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Today I got time with Encyclopedia Eorza volume 2, it's beautiful. I think I've never seen a paper so thick, it's 300 pages but it thick as 450 pages. The texture is also amazing on the finger. It's text heavy (encyclopedia of course) but beautifully illustrated with both artwork and in game screens. I like how it also shows weapons and classes gear. It's really an art piece by itself, I love in universe the entire book feels, down to how clean the back cover is, void of any trademark or editorial text.

Assassin's Creed artbooks also credits their artists for every single piece. They are pretty good for this and for their commentary

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to your impressions of R&C when you peel your eyes away from SF25! and yeah those SF art books are amazing, I buy all the updates even though they're fairly similar lol love that Udon translated these with all the designer's notes intact and wish they'd do the same for the old Capcom Design Work books

So I've took time to go throught Art of Ratchet, and I'm mixed.

On one hand, it's massive and over all a very good quality of print, layout (sometimes old art cut from paper and made like a collage on the pages) and it's well commented enough (not super insightful but every pages as a few lines of explanation about what is displayed and sometimes design/art notes, so I can't complain). It also has a few pages, apparently exclusives never seen/shown before artworks of two of their project transitioning from Spyro to Ratchet, the fist, Girl with a Stick, a plateformer looking strangely like Jak & Daxter, and Madi, a game where you would capture and train and grow beast, like pokemon but with the insomniac design. So that's, short but brillant (because I have NEVER heard of these). It's also very generous in real wip concepts, it's not only marketing ready level of concepts, so that's also cool, a lot of sketches.

The problem comes from the amount of games it has to cover. I mean, they did like 4 Ratchet on PS2, 5 or 6 on the PS3 and the PS4 reboot... That's obviously too much to fit into 248 pages. The book takes you along the creation process for characters, weapons, levels, ideas, and then go back to each episodes but there are only a few pages per episodes at best.

I think it does a great job at celebrating R&C as a whole, and especially Insomniac trademark monster design (tons of super dynamic mean but goofy cartoon looking creatures) but it might fall short on specifics if you are very into a specific episode or even planets arts. It's very much a focus on character design rather than level or world design, for the better or the worse, depending on your expectations.