• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Can anybody recommend some good retro gaming books?

Focusing on the 8bit-16bit and PS1-N64 eras?

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Finally received my copy of "The Game Console" by Evan Amos yesterday. Really nice book.

411G-otS17L._SX401_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

How? I've had an order pending on amazon for months

Jijidasu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Some people might like this one: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 art and design book that released yesterday in Japan. Was originally due to release earlier in February but due to miscalculations on the publishing side it was pushed to the 12th.

The book itself covers all of the characters and blades in depth with design notes, the world and some extra content at the end. 360 pages or so.

The binding of the book features a nice graphic. A nice little touch in my opinion.

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
That Xenoblade 2 book looks lovely, thanks for posting the pictures! I can't find any way to order it in Australia unfortunately, Amazon.co.jp won't ship here. I hope the release isn't too limited and it makes its way to kinokuniya or some other local store.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
That Xenoblade 2 book looks lovely, thanks for posting the pictures! I can't find any way to order it in Australia unfortunately, Amazon.co.jp won't ship here. I hope the release isn't too limited and it makes its way to kinokuniya or some other local store.

Have you tried ?
Cdjapan.co.jp

Edit: Sorry, turns out it's out of stock from that website.

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried ?
Cdjapan.co.jp

Edit: Sorry, turns out it's out of stock from that website.
Thanks for the lead, maybe it'll be back in stock a bit later on, fingers crossed! Apparently the wait time on shipping to Aus is up to 12 weeks unless you pay a small fortune, but worth it if I can get my hands on a copy.

Any other Aussie art book collectors? Where do you normal get them from?

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've been looking for the Dark Souls artbook for quite awhile now. I'm not ready to buy one from ebay yet for 150+ dollars. I've pre-ordered one from amazon.com which is "temporarily" out of stock and I'm not sure when it's going to be shipped out.

I've tried reaching out to Udon entertainment but haven't heard back from them. Any advice for how to get my hands on the Dark Souls book? Should I just keep waiting with amazon in hopes they will ship it out soon?

Dark Souls Artbook on Amazon
I think in the past Udon has said on here or maybe the old place, that the Dark Souls books are something they want to keep in circulation. Dark Souls 2 was out of stock for a few months, then the stock got replenished. So you may have to wait, but I'm pretty sure it will be back in stock in the future.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Kinokuniya is crazy expensive no matter which location you go to. I don't think I've ever seen them sell used books.

Kinokuniya is expensive but isn't too bad if you only buy during their sales. If you get their membership ($25), during their sales everything is 20% off which puts it to about even prices with Amazon after shipping. You also get $10 credit every $300 you spend, which doesn't hurt.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't updated in a while, but just got the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Official Artworks, so figured I would make a new post.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (possible spoilers)
This book has a ton of content at over 300 pages, with concepts and comments on all of the characters, blades, locations, and items in the game.
y3cL4KR.jpg

Wg4KoNb.jpg

s9k54Nl.jpg

Just finished playing Kingdom Hearts 3, so Nomura's designs are still fresh on my mind. His characters in Xenoblade were a standout for me, and Jin became one of my favorites after playing Torna.

eFZtXvI.jpg

Another one I quite like, Herald by Hideo Minaba.

iawj4qv.jpg

And one more blade, Azami by hakus

BnzMOvx.jpg

hM7pS8D.jpg

Also got Dark Horse's Breath of the Wild.
The art style and direction for this game is one of the main reasons why I enjoyed playing it so much (along with its mechanics, world, music, and pretty much everything else)
o7Bjf3I.jpg

cdeJQ63.jpg

i7ErWB7.jpg

rUxSuSH.jpg

Do5FGT9.jpg

r5K7QsV.jpg

cLRQP9W.jpg

These covers for Edge made me go out and buy the magazine.

Mikimoto Haruhiko Character Works, notably including art of Macross and Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.

Last one is Tokyo Storefronts, by Mateusz Urbanowicz.
Saw this book in Kinokuniya and picked it up. This variant has a special cover of the Kinokuniya in Shinjuku.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The Xenoblade 2 artbook looks amazing as expected. I won't get mine until next month since Amazon will be shipping it along with 13 Sentinels and the Xenogears concert BD, but I can wait. :)

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I think in the past Udon has said on here or maybe the old place, that the Dark Souls books are something they want to keep in circulation. Dark Souls 2 was out of stock for a few months, then the stock got replenished. So you may have to wait, but I'm pretty sure it will be back in stock in the future.

Thank you :) that made my day. I'll keep my eyes open.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Mikimoto Haruhiko Character Works, notably including art of Macross and Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.

Saw this book in Kinokuniya and picked it up. This variant has a special cover of the Kinokuniya in Shinjuku.

Haruhiko character works pop up in my amazon.jp recommandation feed. It looked great but seeing it inside is something else. I love that late 80 early 90s anime art...

And same for Ubrnowcz store fronts. I seriously considered buying this one.

also, I just booked another trip to japan for may so... SOOOOOOOOOO

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't updated in a while, but just got the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Official Artworks, so figured I would make a new post.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (possible spoilers)
This book has a ton of content at over 300 pages, with concepts and comments on all of the characters, blades, locations, and items in the game.

Also got Dark Horse's Breath of the Wild.
The art style and direction for this game is one of the main reasons why I enjoyed playing it so much (along with its mechanics, world, music, and pretty much everything else)

God these last two are amazing.

Especially that Mikimoto Haruhiko book. Obviously art is subjective, but when I think of the perfect visual style in my head something like that comes to mind. Just beautiful.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The german version of the Zelda Encyclopedia is acting very weirdly. Shipping date changes weekly from february 20th and march 20th, the website of the publisher says april 20th... weird.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Does anyone own the Super Mario Encyclopedia? I wanted to know if it's worth it to get the limited edition version with the case? Is it worth the price?

I bought the regular one and now I'm having buyers remorse.

gati3478

Apr 13, 2018
Fangamer has restocked with the hardcover edition of The Art of Hyper Light Drifter. Kind of sucks for me that I bought a softcover month earlier for basically the same price.
product_HLD_artbook_hardcover_photo1_1024x1024.png

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
Fangamer has restocked with the hardcover edition of The Art of Hyper Light Drifter. Kind of sucks for me that I bought a softcover month earlier for basically the same price.

Thanks for the heads up! I was looking at picking up this book, but the shipping to Australia is a bit pricey, so I wanted to check the contents first and unlike almost every other art book available, this one doesn't have ANY youtube videos of somebody flipping through it to give me an idea.

Is there any chance you could please post a few pics, or even just give your impression of contents, particularly how much sketch/rough/concept art there is (my favourite part of art books)?

gati3478

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for the heads up! I was looking at picking up this book, but the shipping to Australia is a bit pricey, so I wanted to check the contents first and unlike almost every other art book available, this one doesn't have ANY youtube videos of somebody flipping through it to give me an idea.

Is there any chance you could please post a few pics, or even just give your impression of contents, particularly how much sketch/rough/concept art there is (my favourite part of art books)?

There was this video that I watched before I bought it

I'm just not at home right now. It's basically 90% art and very little making of commentary (close to none), last part of the book is dedicated to fan sketches, which honestly are quite impressive. There are lots of rough sketches and pixel art spritesheets.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Does anyone own the Super Mario Encyclopedia? I wanted to know if it's worth it to get the limited edition version with the case? Is it worth the price?

I bought the regular one and now I'm having buyers remorse.
I own the ltd edition and it's not worth it. It's just a different cover with a yellow box slip cover.

Finalpotion

Jun 24, 2018
To those ordering the Art of Darksiders Hardcover re-releases on Amazon, be wary.

I just had my Art of Darksiders 3 Hardcover cancelled by Amazon.ca as the item itself is no longer being released apparently.

"Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you. "

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I would KILL, and I mean KILL, KILL, KILL for a Hollow Knight Artbook. Jesus I love the designs in that game, and if you've ever seen some Ari Gibson's sketches from his sketchbook floating around that stuff is just... too damn good.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshitaka Amano Review #2: Hiten

4CVdBgu.jpg

Hiten is Amano's fourth solo artbook, and he really begins to evolve into the artist we're all familiar with in this one. During this era, he's going full steam ahead with book cover illustrations for Guin Saga, Edogawa Ranpo, and Vampire Hunter D. We also see some of the first incarnations of Panther, one of Amano's personal characters.

There are a few pieces from Angel's Egg in this book, the avant-garde OVA film directed by Ghost in the Shell director Mamoru Oshii. Free from his days at Tatsunoko, Amano has developed more elaborate characters and draws them with wilder, elaborate hair. The paint is more opaque in this volume, perhaps a necessity to stand out in a crowded bookshop. His character's eyes have thinned considerably, although he draws them wider when he needs to. The few personal pieces done in gold ink for this book are stunning. This particular book has special printing and displays the gold in almost a holographic format.

~~~

A particular fun fact: One painting in this book ended up on the secondary market in 2017 and sold for almost $3000 USD. This is one of the few recorded instances of a commissioned illustration leaving Amano's personal collection. I've spoken with a few collectors who've tried to buy pieces from Guin Saga only to be met with stark refusal, making this auction quite unique.

ISBN: 9784257032298, can be purchased for $20-$40.

spJGeE6.jpg
CCYMrUq.jpg
KWkHjQR.jpg
dKVMwlP.jpg

a6Yd5u7.png

And a few pieces in this book showcased in the previously mentioned exhibition:

Last edited:

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Are we getting an English version of the Xenoblade artbook?

4CVdBgu.jpg

Hiten is Amano's fourth solo artbook, and he really begins to evolve into the artist we're all familiar with in this one. During this era, he's going full steam ahead with book cover illustrations for Guin Saga, Edogawa Ranpo, and Vampire Hunter D. We also see some of the first incarnations of Panther, one of Amano's personal characters.

There are a few pieces from Angel's Egg in this book, the avant-garde OVA film directed by Ghost in the Shell director Mamoru Oshii. Free from his days at Tatsunoko, Amano has developed more elaborate characters and draws them with wilder, elaborate hair. The paint is more opaque in this volume, perhaps a necessity to stand out in a crowded bookshop. His character's eyes have thinned considerably, although he draws them wider when he needs to. The few personal pieces done in gold ink for this book are stunning. This particular book has special printing and displays the gold in almost a holographic format.

~~~

A particular fun fact: One painting in this book ended up on the secondary market in 2017 and sold for almost $3000 USD. This is one of the few recorded instances of a commissioned illustration leaving Amano's personal collection. I've spoken with a few collectors who've tried to buy pieces from Guin Saga only to be met with stark refusal, making this auction quite unique.

spJGeE6.jpg
CCYMrUq.jpg
KWkHjQR.jpg
dKVMwlP.jpg

a6Yd5u7.png

Thanks. I had no idea about this book.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

4CVdBgu.jpg

~~~

spJGeE6.jpg
CCYMrUq.jpg
KWkHjQR.jpg
dKVMwlP.jpg

a6Yd5u7.png

amazing read.

Keep these reviews coming

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017

4CVdBgu.jpg

~~~

spJGeE6.jpg
CCYMrUq.jpg
KWkHjQR.jpg
dKVMwlP.jpg

a6Yd5u7.png

God tier post

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I just saw Futurepress is doing a Dark Souls Trilogy Compendium.
  • Hardcover: 464 pages
Dark-Souls-Trilogy-Compendium-1021x580.jpg

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's a guide book, same as the first two guides that already exist + entirely new for DS3.
It's a lore book, with lore entries for the 3 games.

Uhhhhh......

The description mentions maps, so it makes it seem like a guide. But they spend more time describing the other things like dialogue lines and lore. I'll probably buy it either way since FuturePress puts out nice books.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Has anyone imported The Art of Mario Odyssey? I really want a proper translation but if it's mostly art anyway I might just get it from Japan.