• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Amano Book Review #1: Maten
Amano Book Review #2: Hiten
Amano Book Review #3: Think Like Amano
Amano Book Review #4: The Virgin
Amano Book Review #5: Collecting Paintings of Amano's World

Amano Book Review #6: Amano: The Complete Prints (ISBN 978-0060567637)
292 pages, 10.5x9 inches

4fIbWB8.jpg

Amano The Complete Prints is a comprehensive catalog of his printmaking and lithography work from 1991 to 2001. These pieces were created at Amano's workshops across Japan, Paris, and New York.

Before continuing, it might help to understand how a lithograph is produced. The initial drawing for a lithograph is drawn in reverse on a stone or plate with a crayon or pencil. After the drawing is completed, the drawing is sealed with various liquids and powders. These process allows ink to mirror the image when paper is pressed into the stone. This is repeated for prints with multiple colors. MoMa has a good overview of this procedure.

While Amano creates the drawings, printmakers and assistants have the task of producing the actual prints. The unique feature of artwork created in this fashion is that there is no "original" in the traditional sense. Every print is a copy of the first drawing, each with minute differences depending on how ink seeps into the paper. The approved prints are numbered and signed, while the drawing plate and unacceptable prints are recycled.
This book contains over 919 prints, ranging from personal work, Final Fantasy, Vampire Hunter D, Sandman, and The Tale of Genji. The real meat of the book lies in it's 79-page complete catalogue, which details the technical information of each print. Each piece's edition size, dimensions, lithograph type, and workshop of origin is detailed. This book is particularly useful for collectors in search of these prints. For example, this is the page for the Final Fantasy VII silkscreens:

iCIpIea.jpg

So print #463 has an edition of 200, with 30 artist proofs (production samples, basically).

And this framed print is number 120 of 200, yours for only $700 secondhand. When these prints were first produced, they would have cost a couple thousand.

VJx1Rkw.jpg

There is also a small selection of reproduction prints towards the back, although these have more in common with a conventional inkjet print or mass produced poster. Nonetheless, the editions are usually small, ranging from 50 prints all the way to 300 copies per image.

kpTmh4q.jpg

All in all, this is one of the seminal books in Amano's bibliography. There is a wide range of material in black and white as well as vibrant color prints. If you can find a copy for less than $50, scoop it up as soon as possible.

5EuTjeP.jpg

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Dark Horse lost the Final Fantasy license.

Square Enix is bringing more of its stories to the page.

The video game company has announced a new deal with Penguin Random House Publisher Services that will bring all-new original titles from the company behind iconic game properties from Space Invaders to Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider to the American market under its own banner for the first time.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...square-enix-launch-publishing-line-us-1211749

That's a bummer, I really like their releases.

Feb 15, 2018
I used to have tons of art books dating back to the late 90's and I sold almost all of them so I'd have a chance to meet the Dalai Lama.

I've no regrets. This is the cover to one of them that I can remember. I had a lot of KOF, NGE, MGS, Martian Successor Nadesico...tons.

515Cj%2BD9IlL._SX352_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
So... what will happen to their newly-announced FF Dot and Miniature Final Fantasy (ETA December 19 and January 20)? I already preordered those on Amazon :(

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, I hope Vol. 3 of the Ultimania is still in the cards.

As long as they publish outside of their crummy web store I'm okay with it.

I imagine that's still happening as that would be a done deal and comes out soon. Another book was also recently announced from DH: Miniature Final Fantasy for release in December. So I'm sure they are still coming, just nothing after those.

https://smile.amazon.com/Miniature-...niature&qid=1558127888&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered that BB Sega Master System book. Couldn't resist; it's such a defining part of my younger years.

Also, I'm sure I'm not alone in having a large collection of these things still shrinkwrapped...

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I imagine that's still happening as that would be a done deal and comes out soon. Another book was also recently announced from DH: Miniature Final Fantasy for release in December. So I'm sure they are still coming, just nothing after those.

Final Fantasy Dot may be cancelled. You can't even preorder it on Amazon anymore. Its listing page says it's unavailable.

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy Dot may be cancelled. You can't even preorder it on Amazon anymore. Its listing page says it's unavailable.

Oh, interesting. It does seem likely the same will happen to Miniature then.

Still, Ultimania 3 should be fine since the Penguin deal doesn't start until the Fall.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, interesting. It does seem likely the same will happen to Miniature then.

Miniature might come out. Who knows when Dark Horse actually loses the license. Miniature is scheduled for December. Dot was January 2020. They might be able to release books through the end of the year.

Oct 27, 2017
Not gaming related but it might be of interested for some of you :

KlaoMFC.jpg

https://vol.co/product/to-ky-oo/

the limited edition is sexy too with its plastic neon slipcase :

6zpU4RG.jpg

I forgot to mention, but for anyone who was like me and wanted this but only found out too late — standard purchases are now available for pre-order on the volume website

https://vol.co/product/liam-wong-pre-order/

Into the Spiderverse is back in stock on Amazon. I would pick that up, or the End Game book.

I still don't understand why Marvel stops printing their books so quickly.
Tell me about it... I already had several, but after Endgame I was on a hype and decided I would try and get the full set... quite a few are out of print and people are reselling them for crazy prices now. Worst ones seem to be Winder Soldier, Dr Strange, Guardians 1, Iron Man 3 & Avengers 1 books.

The endgame book was already released? saw one coming like in November, in amazon US.

I'd love to have the black panther one, but it's gone :(

The endgame book that is out now is "road to endgame" and tbh its not as good as the road to infinity war (which was more about the characters). This one is more about the history of the infinity stones as they've appeared over the course of the films. The actual art book that covers Endgame's contents is the November one you are thinking of.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot to mention, but for anyone who was like me and wanted this but only found out too late — standard purchases are now available for pre-order on the volume website

https://vol.co/product/liam-wong-pre-order/

Tell me about it... I had several but after Endgame I was on a hype and decided I would try and get the full set... quite a few are out of print and people are reselling them for crazy prices now. Worst ones seem to be Winder Soldier, Dr Strange, Guardians 1, Iron Man 3 & Avengers 1 books.

The endgame book that is out now is "road to endgame" and tbh its not as good as the road to infinity war (which was more about the characters). This one is more about the history of the infinity stones as they've appeared over the course of the films. The actual art book that covers Endgame's contents is the November one you are thinking of.

Oh get it! thanks for the info!

I ordered the art of infinity war, i was planning one getting road to endgame but i'll better save for the November one then.

Amazon uploaded the cover of the SW episode 9 artbook and it's amazing. I might pick that up too.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh get it! thanks for the info!

I ordered the art of infinity war, i was planning one getting road to endgame but i'll better save for the November one then.

Amazon uploaded the cover of the SW episode 9 artbook and it's amazing. I might pick that up too.
While I'm not to enamoured with the Road to Endgame book, the Road to Infinity War book is actually really good — especially if you are someone who wants art of all of the characters but don't necessarily want to buy all of the other books.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm not to enamoured with the Road to Endgame book, the Road to Infinity War book is actually really good — especially if you are someone who wants art of all of the characters but don't necessarily want to buy all of the other books.

I'm hard pressed to purchase these MCU books considering how the local library system orders multiple copies.

I'm confused as to why the End Game book isn't even releasing until November. Perhaps there are spoilers for the next phase in it?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hard pressed to purchase these MCU books considering how the local library system orders multiple copies.

I'm confused as to why the End Game book isn't even releasing until November. Perhaps there are spoilers for the next phase in it?
Why November specifically? No idea.

But in general I'd imagine that a lot of the material in these books needs to be prepared and handed to outside sources in advance, and they wanted as few people knowing details of Endgame as possible.

gati3478

Apr 13, 2018

Maybe they want to coincide it with Endgame going on Disney+ in November

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Does anyone have an idea if the artbooks printed by Blue Canvas will ever be re-printed? I know that Blue Canvas is no more, but it would be so sad to see the incredible artbooks like Homeworld and Journey be gone forever.

Right now they are being sold for a 1000-3000 USD on Amazon and suddenly my artbook shelf is incredibly valuable :O I wish others would have the opportunity to acquire them.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have an idea if the artbooks printed by Blue Canvas will ever be re-printed? I know that Blue Canvas is no more, but it would be so sad to see the incredible artbooks like Homeworld and Journey be gone forever.

Right now they are being sold for a 1000-3000 USD on Amazon and suddenly my artbook shelf is incredibly valuable :O I wish others would have the opportunity to acquire them.

It depends on who owns the rights to the book. They must have been a very small publisher, as I can't find anything about them excepted a Linkedin page.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

I guess they will Never be reprinted I hold my journey book very close.

HONDA

Oct 27, 2017
wanted to share some a list of cheap used art books that were under $10 from Thriftbooks
They are very limited. Only 1 avilaible for some books. You can also search Amazon for these on USED section and find similar prices
TBHnEAo.png
poD1xaH.png

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
wanted to share some a list of cheap used art books that were under $10 from Thriftbooks
They are very limited. Only 1 avilaible for some books. You can also search Amazon for these on USED section and find similar prices

Thiftbooks also has a 15% off $15 or more coupon right now. Pretty good deal for those books, but I don't have any more shelf space. I'm literally stacking books on top of one another now.

UnluckyKate How was Japan? Find any rare books?

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Thiftbooks also has a 15% off $15 or more coupon right now. Pretty good deal for those books, but I don't have any more shelf space. I'm literally stacking books on top of one another now.

UnluckyKate How was Japan? Find any rare books?

Still there. Just landed in miyajima Island. So far I didn't bought much, only the eyes of bayo 2 and the art of mateusz urbanowicz, it's Japanese store fronts water painted, it's lovely. I've been too close to 20 book shops so far, used new. I really felt like buying more granblue fantasy artbooks. I also try to not buy books for game I didn't play yet, such as dmc5 that is everywhere with a killer cover or bravely default or fire emblem.

I like when looking for stuff finding these amazing looking book for lord of vermillion or other card /gatcha games. Sometime also for otome games with the weirdest names like brother conflict ugggh they even have several books of art for this okay??? I don't really want to know.

My biggest find is Nagoya's little akiba in osu kannon. It's such a lovely place with great price, great shop, with more space and no tourists. Very much like osaka's denden but even more intimate.

But so far, no really 'rare' find or oldies.

Last day in Tokyo might change that... If I don't run out of money before that on all the delicious food.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any instances of that happening

Usually reprints occur under the same publisher. Art books are a niche product, so I don't see too many publishers buying a defunct company and spending money reprinting a book for an older game.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I can't think of any instances of that happening

Usually reprints occur under the same publisher. Art books are a niche product, so I don't see too many publishers buying a defunct company and spending money reprinting a book for an older game.

I guess you're right that there's no precedent, it's just crazy when you see stuff like this:

RTZ24yN.png

4HO9WRZ.png

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I found twice Sadamoto's Carmine but it always come in a giant box packaging with poster CD and other stuff I don't care. The box is really huge and I could never bother or have the heart to separate one box for the book. Today I visited ikekuburo and it's mainly for girls with otome shops but I found it! I found carmine without the box! 2 years and 3 trips to Japan for it haha

I guess you're right that there's no precedent, it's just crazy when you see stuff like this:

RTZ24yN.png

4HO9WRZ.png
Do they really sell at these price?

If yes thats a lot of money. Like a few months of rent money...

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
That's amazon. OOP stuff is always ridiculously priced by the marketplace sellers there. I've been following the Journey art book for a while now waiting to find a deal, and they usually go between $200-$300 on ebay.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have Cook & Becker's Sonic 25th Anniversary Artbook? It's 25% for one more day, so it's about $12 cheaper than usual. I'm debating getting it since it's been on my watch list for quite some time, but I also wouldn't mind knowing if it's worth it.

www.cookandbecker.com

Book Sonic The Hedgehog 25th Anniversary Art Book | Sonic the Hedgehog

The official Sonic the Hedgehog 25th Anniversary Art Book honors the video game icon with a striking ‘coffee-table style’ volume about the art and visual

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
So I've been building a small collection of Art Books but I can't find the time to post about them here. Even though it's not game related, I just wanna say that my favorite book so far has to be The Art of Posuka Demizu

734214bc-d855-4663-99ea-cfd70db20f6c_1.1c437a7fd4a1a161f8e1166376589dcc.jpeg

I love her scratchy style and the book is choke full of great perspective shots and adventurous pieces.

I also found the FFXII original PS2 artbook that came with the official guide in a small store when I visited Toronto lol. It doesn't actually have a whole tone of art because a lot of pages are dedicated to the weapons and stuff but it's still really cool.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
That's amazon. OOP stuff is always ridiculously priced by the marketplace sellers there. I've been following the Journey art book for a while now waiting to find a deal, and they usually go between $200-$300 on ebay.

I am given to understand that they will price it on Amazon at an insane price without even having the book. Then if someone actually buys it at that price they will buy it at a cheaper price and pocket the difference.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I am given to understand that they will price it on Amazon at an insane price without even having the book. Then if someone actually buys it at that price they will buy it at a cheaper price and pocket the difference.

Seems like a risky prospect with this particular book. It can't be easy to find a copy regardless of the price.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
My previous comment was regarding books in general, not just artbooks and certainly not one particular artbook. It came from the experience of an ex-bookshop owner.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Do you like Columbia, Northface, Patagonia, Arkteryx and other outdoor wear catalogs? Do you like American landmarks in urban chaos sceneries seen in any major blockbusters movie since the 80s?
Haha yes I do. The Division as a concept is so much better executed than the Division as a game. It gives me hope though.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have Cook & Becker's Sonic 25th Anniversary Artbook? It's 25% for one more day, so it's about $12 cheaper than usual. I'm debating getting it since it's been on my watch list for quite some time, but I also wouldn't mind knowing if it's worth it.

www.cookandbecker.com

Book Sonic The Hedgehog 25th Anniversary Art Book | Sonic the Hedgehog

The official Sonic the Hedgehog 25th Anniversary Art Book honors the video game icon with a striking ‘coffee-table style’ volume about the art and visual

Have it, well worth it, more so than the PNL book that UDON localized. They're not kidding about the quality of the pages. Even more I recommend Cook & Becker for the their customer service.

I bought my copy through their Amazon storefront (shipping is significantly cheaper through there), unfortunately one of the foldout pages got stuck and was damaged. Didn't know what to do since they were 3rd party on Amazon, so I tweeted them the issue and they worked with me on getting a replacement copy sent without a hitch.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Have it, well worth it, more so than the PNL book that UDON localized. Even more I recommend Cook & Becker for the their customer service.

I boughr my copy through their Amazon storefront, unfortunately one of the foldout pages got stuck and was damaged. Didn't know what to do since they were 3rd party on Amazon, so I tweeted them the issue and they worked with me on getting a replacement copy sent without a hitch.
Thank you, I have the Pix 'n Love book as well, so that was kinda why I was debating it. Considering how long I've been keeping an eye for this to go on sale, I might as well give in. Was kinda hoping to get it on Amazon so I could use gift cards, but considering it's still $49 + $8.50 shipping (not sure why shipping is $12.50 from the official store), I'll be saving about $10 if I order directly from them.

Just placed the order, wonder how long it'll take, though I know it'll be an extra day or two due to Memorial Day.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
While not exactly art books can someone give me an idea whether the following are collecting:

a) The three Bloodborne graphic novels (comics?) -
  1. BLOODBORNE: THE HEALING THIRST
  2. Bloodborne: The Death of Sleep
  3. Bloodborne: A Song of Crows
b) The two Dark Souls book-
  1. Dark Souls: Beyond the Grave Volume 1: Demon's Souls – Dark Souls – Dark Souls II
  2. Dark Souls: Beyond the Grave Volume 2: Bloodborne – Dark Souls III

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
eBay doesn't seem to show any completed listings for The Art of Homeworld, so I'd still take the listed prices with a grain of salt. I don't know that there's any evidence anyone's actually bought one of those books for $800+.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
What's the best book of Akira Toriyama? Specifically Dragon Ball.
I don't know about Dragon Ball but his Dragon Quest anniversary book is great and was recently released in English, not that there was much text to begin with. It isn't comprehensive but it's curated well and includes a selection of character art and some monster designs from the main series up through X with some coverage on a few but not all the spin-offs. The 25th anniversary Monster Encyclopedia is also great if you like his DQ monster designs, though that one has a lot of Japanese text.