• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cvltclassic

Oct 27, 2017
Just received The Art of Batman by Rocksteady and thank god it's hardcover because the package was all busted... Thanks Amazon !

Next to no damage to the book in the end (very lucky indeed) and it's pretty big. That's 15€ well spent (or so it seems) ! :D

I didn't know this book existed, but it seems really cool. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be readily available in the US anymore, at least from what I could see in a quick Google search.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Just wanted to share my experience with Insight Editions as a kind of an update on this:

Insight Editions has some crazy deals right now as part of their flash sale. The Art of Mondo is $22, a bunch of movie and game art books for $13-$15 (godzilla, jungle book, die hard visual history, pacific rim, shape of water, ready player one, assassins creed, and tons more). Plus free international shipping. It's kind of insane really.

I bought 8 books during that sale (Sept. 21) for a total of something like $120. Nothing happened for a few days, then maybe 5 or so day later I noticed the status on all has changed to cancelled. I never asked for any to be cancelled, never received a cancellation notice, it just happened. I checked my credit card statement and the card was charged successfully for all orders.

So I sent an email, waited a couple of days, no response. I sent another one, no response. I contacted them via their facebook page and got a customer service email different to the one listed on their website. Tried there, again no response. After maybe six or so emails in total spanning about two weeks I tried their twitter and was told to try the same customer service email that previously got me nowhere. I told them I'm getting no replies and they told me they'll forward the info to their "team" and that hey would contact me email. Apparently my orders were "flagged by their payment system". Well, I never heard back, so roughly a week later I asked via twitter what's going on and got no response there anymore either. Today I got a refund notification on all orders. Too soon to say if I'll actually get the money back, though I don't really expect not to, but the whole thing was a total joke. I've had bad customer service before, but being absolutely ignored for over three weeks while they were holding my money with absolutely no intention to send what I paid for probably takes the cake. Oh, and I've posted a surmised version of the whole thing in a comment on twitter and got blocked, because of course :)

In short: They took my money, cancelled all orders without explanation, never responded to any of my emails and now close to a month later I might be getting my money back. Terrible company.

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't know this book existed, but it seems really cool. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be readily available in the US anymore, at least from what I could see in a quick Google search.

It's pretty old so it's not surprising.

I had the English version in my wishlist for the longest time and it was no longer available when I checked so I went with the FR version instead.

May 30, 2018
Just wanted to share my experience with Insight Editions as a kind of an update on this:

In short: They took my money, cancelled all orders without explanation, never responded to any of my emails and now close to a month later I might be getting my money back. Terrible company.

that sucks. i ordered like 6 books and got them a week later.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017

I bought 8 books during that sale (Sept. 21) for a total of something like $120. Nothing happened for a few days, then maybe 5 or so day later I noticed the status on all has changed to cancelled. I never asked for any to be cancelled, never received a cancellation notice, it just happened. I checked my credit card statement and the card was charged successfully for all orders.

So I sent an email, waited a couple of days, no response. I sent another one, no response. I contacted them via their facebook page and got a customer service email different to the one listed on their website. Tried there, again no response. After maybe six or so emails in total spanning about two weeks I tried their twitter and was told to try the same customer service email that previously got me nowhere. I told them I'm getting no replies and they told me they'll forward the info to their "team" and that hey would contact me email. Apparently my orders were "flagged by their payment system". Well, I never heard back, so roughly a week later I asked via twitter what's going on and got no response there anymore either. Today I got a refund notification on all orders. Too soon to say if I'll actually get the money back, though I don't really expect not to, but the whole thing was a total joke. I've had bad customer service before, but being absolutely ignored for over three weeks while they were holding my money with absolutely no intention to send what I paid for probably takes the cake. Oh, and I've posted a surmised version of the whole thing in a comment on twitter and got blocked, because of course :)

Ugh that's such a pain

The sale page is still up which leads me to suspect their technical side of things isn't great. That doesn't excuse poor service though.

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
Mateusz Urbanowicz released a new watercolor art book, I'll probably have to pick it up soon:

Full link

Also got my Dragalia Lost art book yesterday, and it's really nice getting to see full sized art rather than on my tiny screen.

Cover, character art

Includes concept designs for a few characters, backgrounds

All the prints in the game, campaign and event art

This one's probably my favorite, from the Fire Emblem crossover, and some promotional art
Is that book like the Granblue Fantasy art books? Only available in Japanese?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post but the book is up.

Arcade Game Typography

agt_8-1920x1280.jpg

agt_6-1920x1280.jpg

Limited to 1000 units, £35.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Making a list of all the artbooks & gaming related books I'd like to own eventually. I'm typing up a list, but was wondering what ones I should focus on for the time being. I'm FINALLY reading through the Valkyria Chronicles artbook and is perhaps the most thorough one I've read, which I appreciate from a "I want to learn more about the game" perspective. After that, I might try to go through Untold History of Japanese Developers Vol. 1 considering how long it's been in my backlog.

I can type up a list of all my books, but to make things easier, I'll sum up a few I have: most of the Bitmap Books visual compendiums (I'm missing ZX Spectrum) along with the NeoGeo history & preordered their Metal Slug book, want to get Read Only Memories' books on the Dreamcast & Sega Arcade (I have the Genesis one), a good amount of Hardcore Gaming 101's books, Nintendo 64 Anthology by Geeks Line (want the PS1 & GCN ones), and some random Udon artbooks. Also some Pix'n Love stuff like the 2 volumes of History of Nintendo that were actually translated (& seem to be rare or expensive) and the first volume of SNES Omnibus.

I really like books that allow me to learn more about the development/history of games and for artbooks, behind the scenes stuff. I can give more details later, but just wanted to at least make a post here since this thread is of interest but I seem to forget to partake it in.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Making a list of all the artbooks & gaming related books I'd like to own eventually. I'm typing up a list, but was wondering what ones I should focus on for the time being. I'm FINALLY reading through the Valkyria Chronicles artbook and is perhaps the most thorough one I've read, which I appreciate from a "I want to learn more about the game" perspective. After that, I might try to go through Untold History of Japanese Developers Vol. 1 considering how long it's been in my backlog.

I can type up a list of all my books, but to make things easier, I'll sum up a few I have: most of the Bitmap Books visual compendiums (I'm missing ZX Spectrum) along with the NeoGeo history & preordered their Metal Slug book, want to get Read Only Memories' books on the Dreamcast & Sega Arcade (I have the Genesis one), a good amount of Hardcore Gaming 101's books, Nintendo 64 Anthology by Geeks Line (want the PS1 & GCN ones), and some random Udon artbooks. Also some Pix'n Love stuff like the 2 volumes of History of Nintendo that were actually translated (& seem to be rare or expensive) and the first volume of SNES Omnibus.

I really like books that allow me to learn more about the development/history of games and for artbooks, behind the scenes stuff. I can give more details later, but just wanted to at least make a post here since this thread is of interest but I seem to forget to partake it in.

ask away, we can tell you what books have commentary or dev history

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017

N64 Anthology is crazy rare now (and there's no sign of restock too), so I suggest you pick up the PS1 and GCN ones (and the SNES one if possible) before they're out of print as well.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
N64 Anthology is crazy rare now (and there's no sign of restock too), so I suggest you pick up the PS1 and GCN ones (and the SNES one if possible) before they're out of print as well.
Oh damn, really? I know the collector's editions of those are rare, but if the regular editions might go out of print, guess I'll focus on those first before getting more HG101 books. Didn't see they did one on the SNES that's two books, I'll keep an eye on that. Is Amazon the best place to get that or the other Geeksline books, or should I check Book Depository or some other site?

ask away, we can tell you what books have commentary or dev history
Appreciate it. I made thing a little easier in that I have I tried to add most of the books I wanted to an Amazon wishlist. I should look & see what Udon has coming out, but I prefer artbooks that isn't just a bunch of artwork that can easily be viewed online & is just flatout rips from the game or promotional material. I don't mind if it's a small part of it, but I want the feeling that I'm learning/seeing things that I can only get from said book. I like concept art, comments about the design process/why they didn't use certain designs, etc. The Valkyria Chronicles one has blown me away with just how much behind the scenes stuff it has. The Ace Attorney ones are neat, but are more "here's model rips from the game" and are lower on my list.

If it helps give a better example, a few other books I have are Before Mario, Mario Goodies Collection, Retro Game Super Translation Selection (I heard a 2nd volume is being made), Terrible Old Games You've Never Heard Of, Art of Atari, The Game Console, Beck & Cooker's Sonic artbook, and Game Boy World 1989 (which I hear is now Game Boy Works on Fangamer & want to get those along with Legend of Localization).

Probably sound overwhelming, but I guess I just want to figure out what books to prioritze first either due to being more up my alley or the risk of them going out of print (I'm so glad I got those History of Nintendo books from Pix'n Love before they started costing over $100 each). I mainly buy them with Amazon credit I slowly earn over the months if I can, but I also know a lot of the books I have interest in are from the UK so shipping tends to be $10+.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, really? I know the collector's editions of those are rare, but if the regular editions might go out of print, guess I'll focus on those first before getting more HG101 books. Didn't see they did one on the SNES that's two books, I'll keep an eye on that. Is Amazon the best place to get that or the other Geeksline books, or should I check Book Depository or some other site?

Appreciate it. I made thing a little easier in that I have I tried to add most of the books I wanted to an Amazon wishlist. I should look & see what Udon has coming out, but I prefer artbooks that isn't just a bunch of artwork that can easily be viewed online & is just flatout rips from the game or promotional material. I don't mind if it's a small part of it, but I want the feeling that I'm learning/seeing things that I can only get from said book. I like concept art, comments about the design process/why they didn't use certain designs, etc. The Valkyria Chronicles one has blown me away with just how much behind the scenes stuff it has. The Ace Attorney ones are neat, but are more "here's model rips from the game" and are lower on my list.

If it helps give a better example, a few other books I have are Before Mario, Mario Goodies Collection, Retro Game Super Translation Selection (I heard a 2nd volume is being made), Terrible Old Games You've Never Heard Of, Art of Atari, The Game Console, Beck & Cooker's Sonic artbook, and Game Boy World 1989 (which I hear is now Game Boy Works on Fangamer & want to get those along with Legend of Localization).

Probably sound overwhelming, but I guess I just want to figure out what books to prioritze first either due to being more up my alley or the risk of them going out of print (I'm so glad I got those History of Nintendo books from Pix'n Love before they started costing over $100 each). I mainly buy them with Amazon credit I slowly earn over the months if I can, but I also know a lot of the books I have interest in are from the UK so shipping tends to be $10+.

must buys :
- Persona 3&5 (why not 4 ?) books. They don't have dev commentary but Soejima comments on every characters and their persona, the intent the design process etc, its great. They also have interviews at the end.
- Persona Arena is more focused on the animation. It has a lot of rough sketch of key frames or animation steps. its all annoted in english. It's great it you are into animation work. Other than that, it has an few pages of interview at the end but not much real commentary.
Playstation / Gamecube anthology : I have the playstation, it's amazing. Half is history of playstation, second half is a compilation of every game released. It'sa bit gimmicky
- Art of point and click / Sinclair ZX must buy. like all Bitmapbooks. Buy blind.
- Okami : must buy. Tons of comments, often hilarious. Brillant and beautiful book.
- FLCL archives (I have the original japanese edition) is my favorite thing ever. First half is color promos and illustrations. Second half is full of preparatory works, rough sketchs, bits of story boards. Its beautiful and full of character even in its rather small format, you can trully enjoy FLCL art.

Others
- I don't have Udon's Art of Capcom but I have Udon's 25th years of SF anniversary. It's truly amazing if you are into Capcom art even without Darkstalkers & co... and for the fraction of the price.
- Art of Ratchet & Clank : the book is huge but sadly still too small for the entire saga. the arts are commented but its heavily leaning towards paying tribute to Insomaniac fun characters designs. Its good but I somewhat expected more. It's entirely subjective.
- 0 commentary in Dragon Dogma artbook. But the art is good so up to you.
- Don't buy art of Grasshooper. its... translated but in the laste pages of the books so its super hard and annoying to read. It focus on all its game, even its mobile games and its not that good for artworks or concept works.

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a comprehensive list of all the Warcraft artbooks out there?

So far I have:
The 6 books from the Collector's Editions
The Cinematic Art of World of Warcraf
Cinematic Art of Wrath of the Lich King
Art of Hearthstone
Art of the WoW TCG
The Art of World of Warcraft (Insight Editions)
The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
The Art of Warcraft (Bradygames 2003, for Frozen Throne release)

I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
must buys :
- Persona 3&5 (why not 4 ?) books. They don't have dev commentary but Soejima comments on every characters and their persona, the intent the design process etc, its great. They also have interviews at the end.
- Persona Arena is more focused on the animation. It has a lot of rough sketch of key frames or animation steps. its all annoted in english. It's great it you are into animation work. Other than that, it has an few pages of interview at the end but not much real commentary.
Playstation / Gamecube anthology : I have the playstation, it's amazing. Half is history of playstation, second half is a compilation of every game released. It'sa bit gimmicky
- Art of point and click / Sinclair ZX must buy. like all Bitmapbooks. Buy blind.
- Okami : must buy. Tons of comments, often hilarious. Brillant and beautiful book.
- FLCL archives (I have the original japanese edition) is my favorite thing ever. First half is color promos and illustrations. Second half is full of preparatory works, rough sketchs, bits of story boards. Its beautiful and full of character even in its rather small format, you can trully enjoy FLCL art.

Others
- I don't have Udon's Art of Capcom but I have Udon's 25th years of SF anniversary. It's truly amazing if you are into Capcom art even without Darkstalkers & co... and for the fraction of the price.
- Art of Ratchet & Clank : the book is huge but sadly still too small for the entire saga. the arts are commented but its heavily leaning towards paying tribute to Insomaniac fun characters designs. Its good but I somewhat expected more. It's entirely subjective.
- 0 commentary in Dragon Dogma artbook. But the art is good so up to you.
- Don't buy art of Grasshooper. its... translated but in the laste pages of the books so its super hard and annoying to read. It focus on all its game, even its mobile games and its not that good for artworks or concept works.
Cool, thank you for the feedback. I actually already have the Persona 4 artbook, which is why I didn't mention it. If it matters, the Udon books I have are both Ace Attorney books (Trilogy & Dual Destinies), Breath of Fire (a gift, but still neat despite not playing any of the games), Darkstalkers, Marvel vs. Capcom, & Mega Man 25th + X. I have the Splatoon book from Dark Horse & might get the 2nd one.

I held off the P4A one because I wanted to wait to see if they did one for Ultimax, which I don't think Udon ever localized. I'll take a look through their site to see what they've released lately. But I guess for the time being, I'll focus on the Geeksline books to ensure I get them before they're out of print & then get the must buys that you recommended.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
My copy of AZTDR from Unit Editions finally showed up today and this thing is a tome. There's about 10 pages I think of Wipeout material, but the whole book is fantastic. Lots of great album artwork and graphic design material contained. I can't wait to thumb through it some more.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Oh, I might as well throw this out there: roughly 20 hours remaining before pre-orders for Bitmap Book's Metal Slug: The Ultimate History close.
(limited edition is SOLD-OUT)

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
For those still interested the FFXV art-book that Cook&Booker made is going to be out of print soon. If you were ever thinking of grabbing it you might want to do so before it goes poof forever.

As much as I love the quality and passion of work put by Cook & Becker in their products (prints and other books, I cannot recommend this book.

Its a beautiful book from the outside but it has nothing worth the price inside, its basically a collection of hi rez renders, it feels an hybrid between a promotional kit and a fashion magazine. It has barely any artworks or concepts. It feels like a book made by Square to elevate FF XV into a luxurious perfume or cloth accessory brand.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't know The Art of Cuphead was getting a Limited Edition. From my $20 Standard pre-order to $99 LE for a couple little extras isn't enough for me to make the jump up though.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't know The Art of Cuphead was getting a Limited Edition. From my $20 Standard pre-order to $99 LE for a couple little extras isn't enough for me to make the jump up though.

Do you (or anyone here) usually buy these limited artbook ? I never went for the upgrade. Never seems worth the price for a folder and or different cover.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
That's waaaay too high of a jump in price for me, especially when I can't tell what most of the extra stuff is aside from the cels. The only LE for a book I've ever ordered is that upcoming Metal Slug one. Only other ones that've interested me are the Geeksline ones because the main bonus is getting another book that's only available via LE.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Do you (or anyone here) usually buy these limited artbook ? I never went for the upgrade. Never seems worth the price for a folder and or different cover.

Eeeh, sometimes. It's never worth it though. As far as standalones, I purchased the Hyrule Historia Limited Edition (getting one of those was wild) and it wasn't worth it plus the book kinda sucked.

The Witcher III Collector's Edition Game came with an exclusive art book, that ended up being an all-time favorite and best for the series, but that only kind of counts since I didn't purchase the package only for the art book and there's no cheaper alternative for it. It's the exception more than the rule, as you know.

Then you have most exclusive art books that come bundled with Collector's Edition games that suck. Either they're bare bones affairs that only give a few page turns worth of concept art with little-to-no words and/or not even hardcover (which I prefer. Still bundled softcovers are usually just cheap all over). I use art books as a bulletpoint to get a game's special edition, but have been played the fool on their quality (or other extras) far too much at this point, skipping more CEs each year in favor of awaiting a standard standalone if I feel like it at the time.

In short, I don't purchase standalone Limited Edition art books anymore and even Limited Edition games for their art books has always been a difficult gamble.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, that Cuphead LE is now down to $64 on Amazon compared to the $100 when it was posted a few days ago.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my Metal Slug Fully Loaded Edition and HG101's Japanese Video Game Obscurities to ship.

*sees HG101's next book/digest is on Namco arcade classics*

Guess I'm adding another to the wishlist, and I just got digest volumes 4 & 5 recently.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Did The Art of Super Mario Odyssey get a stealth delay? I could have sworn it was supposed to be out by now, but every website changed the release date to November.

Either way, I can wait. This is definitely the next release I'm getting.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Did The Art of Super Mario Odyssey get a stealth delay? I could have sworn it was supposed to be out by now, but every website changed the release date to November.

Either way, I can wait. This is definitely the next release I'm getting.
Guess so. Dark Horse's site says it's Nov. 5th, one week before the Splatoon 2 one.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
man, FFXV has like, the weirdest arc.

started as a spin-off of FFXIII
was in development hell
changed director and title
a prequel film was made???
released
entire story sections were patched
DLC was announced and released
DLC was announced and cancelled
cancelled DLC was then released as a book oh and the director quit squareenix

There must have been a lot of drama internally

I'm satisfied with what we got, but a lot of compromises were made

m_anger

Dec 13, 2018

Well that's sucks. My problem was only that they wrote the full price on the bill, not the sale one. I almost had to pay a bunch of extra money for customs and tax. Absolutely dick move.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
I'm scared of ordering the japanese version of Fire Emblem If Visual Works and inmediately see how Dark Horse announces an english release.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
man, FFXV has like, the weirdest arc.

started as a spin-off of FFXIII
was in development hell
changed director and title
a prequel film was made???
released
entire story sections were patched
DLC was announced and released
DLC was announced and cancelled
cancelled DLC was then released as a book oh and the director quit squareenix

Drama tied with FF14 and FF12..

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eeeh, sometimes. It's never worth it though. As far as standalones, I purchased the Hyrule Historia Limited Edition (getting one of those was wild) and it wasn't worth it plus the book kinda sucked.

The Witcher III Collector's Edition Game came with an exclusive art book, that ended up being an all-time favorite and best for the series, but that only kind of counts since I didn't purchase the package only for the art book and there's no cheaper alternative for it. It's the exception more than the rule, as you know.

Then you have most exclusive art books that come bundled with Collector's Edition games that suck. Either they're bare bones affairs that only give a few page turns worth of concept art with little-to-no words and/or not even hardcover (which I prefer. Still bundled softcovers are usually just cheap all over). I use art books as a bulletpoint to get a game's special edition, but have been played the fool on their quality (or other extras) far too much at this point, skipping more CEs each year in favor of awaiting a standard standalone if I feel like it at the time.

In short, I don't purchase standalone Limited Edition art books anymore and even Limited Edition games for their art books has always been a difficult gamble.

The witcher 3 book still hurts.

It's nice that they give you the e-artbook when you buy the game online, but i wanted to have it in physical form so baaaad.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Does anyone know if the Medievil remake has a physical art book coming out? I know the deluxe version of the game has a digital art book, but I wanted the real deal. If not, who would be the best person to contact to find out?

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the Medievil remake has a physical art book coming out? I know the version of the game has a digital art book, but I wanted the real deal. If not, who would be the best person to contact to find out?

Its not been announced... They usually are announced before the game release, so I would say the chances that a physical book to ever come out are pretty slim...