• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disney has been having a fairly dominant year at the box office. Of the top 10 grossing films of the year so far. 5 of them belong to Disney. 4 of them are part of the Billion Dollar Club, with a 5th in Toy Story 4 very likely to join soon. Avenger's Endgame has become the highest grossing film of all time knocking Avatar of it's 10 year throne. And they still have garunteed big hits to come like Frozen 2 and Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (And Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, which might do alright I guess?)

However, there is one film this year that Disney seems to have forgotten about, and before you ask, no, it's not Dumbo.

47005056_2183601265017228_2115390020276715520_o.jpg

This is Artemis Fowl, a film based of the Artemis Fowl book series.

This film has been in development hell for quite a long time. It's quite the long journey for being produced. The observant of you may have noticed that today is August 9th. Yet it is not out in theaters. Why is that, surely Disney could have an Intern, a temp or anyone to create a poster with it's new release date? What is happening with Artemis Fowl? Well, let's go back, way back, to the year 2001...

The Beginning

Initial plans for a film adaptation go as far back to 2001 before the first book had even come out (Assumingly someone saw how much money the Harry Potter films were making and wanted a piece of that pie). The director for the film was announced as Lawrence Guterman, known for his work on some scenes for Dreamworks Antz and...

81wElqzxFdL._SY445_.jpg

...Oh, well. Ok, Fine, it's not an immediate death blow, Cats and Dogs wasn't great but that doesn't mean the be all, end all. Maybe his next film will be better...

51sCoY3252L.jpg

...Perhaps it was for the best that Artemis Fowl fell into Development Hell and didn't materialise with this director. Lawrence Guterman would eventually move on away from the project, doing some directorial work on the TV Series "Out of Jimmy's Head", considered one of Cartoon Network's worst shows of all time. And then finding some moderate success as an Executive Producer for a film called Remember in 2015.

Back to Artemis Fowl, after the initial announcement, things basically went silent for... about a decade? A screenplay was finalized in 2003 but went no where, it was next heard in 2011 with Jim Sheridan expression interest to direct.

It took until July 2013 until further news was revealed. To give a comparison point, the Percy Jackson Pentalogy of books got written, published, had a film adaption of the first book (Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief) and was primed to release a sequel film (Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters) one month later. Before anything further got heard about the Artemis Fowl film.

Disney Steps In

On July 2013, Disney announced it will be bringing Artemis Fowl to the Silver Screen. Things were looking good. you had Michael Goldenberg penning the Screenplay who was known for his work on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. You had Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal as Executive Producers. And they partnered up with Harvey Weinstein and The Weinstien Company to produce.

Wait, Harvey Weinstien? The now disgraced Harvey Weinstien? Oh no. It's just getting worse.

In September 2015 Kenneth Branagh had been hired to direct the film, who you will recognise from the first Thor movie and had recently released the fairly popular Cinderella Remake in the same year. In September 2017 we got a release date of August 9th 2019. One month later in October, Disney announced they severed ties with The Weinstien Company and Human Garbage, Harvey Weinstien.

In December a cast list got announced with Irish newcomer Ferdia Shaw had been cast as Artemis Fowl, alongside Dench as Commander Root, Josh Gad as Mulch Diggums, Lara McDonnell as Captain Holly Short, and Nonso Anozie as Butler. Further cast members were announced in March 2018 and filming began.

Josh Gad , playing Mulch Diggums made some posts on twitter about some of the film production over the course of 2018.

With his work finishing up in June of 2018, if this twitter post is to be believed.

From starting with the guy that would go on to Direct Son of the Mask and getting rid of Weinstein. Things can only be looking up for this film now, right.

The Trailer

The first trailer was released in November 2018.

Response to it were mixed to say the least. Some liking how the film looks, others feeling the film was betraying the original characters. In December 2018, a first shot of Judi Dench was Commander Root was released.

first-look-judi-dench-as-commander-root.jpg

Also to mixed response.

And then... silence again.

The Present Day

On March 20th 2019, Disney announced the acquisition of 21st Century Fox. On May 7th, Disney announced that both The New Mutants and Artemis Fowl got pushed back to 2020. And that is all we have heard of since.

Just like The New Mutants, we haven't heard anything since from the film. That poster I posted at the beginning of the page? That is still the poster they are using for both it's Facebook and Twitter Social Media pages.

The film is in a limbo at the moment with no new news. All we know at the moment is it is currently due to release on May 29th of 2020, Right inbetween the releases of Fast and Furious 9 and Wonder Woman 1984.

Whether it gets delayed again. Who knows. The film has been in production so long another delay might not be that shocking. Maybe it does come out in 2020. Maybe it's moved to Disney+ to push that service. Maybe it will be good, maybe it will be bad. That is for the future to behold.

All we know is that Dora the Explorer managed to get it's big screen debut out faster than Artemis Fowl did and took it's release slot. And Dame Judi Dench has moved on to starring in the cinematic event of 2019, Cats.

136515.jpg

I think we can end this story here for now.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. It came out? Was there reviews?

Edit: Oh I'm an idiot. It didn't release today. It was supposed to release today.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of films get moved for strategic reasons. Maybe they had to go in and do reshoots, maybe releasing a kid's movie during back to school season wasn't a smart choice, but I doubt this is another New Mutants situation where it caught the worst possible timing it can get.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
the twitter account still says today. It's amazin

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
here I was having a good morning and then you had to go and post the Judi Dench cat picture

and now I'm having a great morning, thank you

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yet another film that should've come out 10+ years ago and now has no built-audience since they've all moved on from the source material.

At this rate, its gonna be New Mutants all over again where the child actors have aged out of their roles...

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Must be weird for the child actors getting this HUGE break and then being way older when it finally comes out.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was going to be trainwreck with every change they did. They need to go back to square one. I wouldn't be surprised to find out this movie will be moved over to Disney+ to spare it from box office failure.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's currently sandwiched between Fast 9 and WW1984. The movie is toast.
A spring release would have been much better, but Disney obviously wants nothing scratching their pedigree movie Mulan, especially not a Fox castaway.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I liked Artemis Fowl as a kid, I don't know if it can pull off a movie franchise in 2019. Is there still a big audience or is Disney expecting to just go for kids/preteens in general?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer uses an arrangement of Radiohead's Decks Dark from A Moon Shaped Pool.

I felt emotionally manipulated by that lol

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
After watching that Series of Unfortunate Events Netflix series, I wonder if this would've been better as a TV series in a similar vein to that. Maybe something they could've thrown on Disney+.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I remember loving these books when I was a teenager, I wonder if they held up as well as I remember.

Sucks that all principal photography has completed, but are still holding it. Must be frustrating for the cast and crew that spent all this time working on it.

Oct 28, 2017
At least Eoin Colfer seems to be able to laugh about it

But yeah this film will come out way too late for anyone interested. I mean the series wrapped up years ago and the later installments didn't get a lot of attention anymore.

Though the first book in the sequel series about Artemis' twin brothers is supposed to come out 2020, so maybe the film is late enough to be released at the right time again ;)
(Yeah this is a thing:)

Wikia-fowl-twins-us-cover.jpg

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would bet hard money this lands on Disney+.

And New Mutants is sharing the same fate, but on Hulu.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Funny thing, I saw the trailer play on TV and halfway through it, thought "Oh, they're making MIB junior?".

Trailer didn't really sell me on anything and the only thing that stood out was that the trailer used Radioheads epic music.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My brother just started working as a teacher, and yesterday, he excitedly sent me a picture of a copy of the first book that his school's library has.

What a disappointment this movie has been.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
It's currently sandwiched between Fast 9 and WW1984. The movie is toast.
A spring release would have been much better, but Disney obviously wants nothing scratching their pedigree movie Mulan, especially not a Fox castaway.

Except the OP pretty clearly states that this movie is a Disney movie and has been since 2013.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I lost faith in Disney when I watched A Wrinkle in Time, sick, and still found it terrible.

Remember when the kid pets[?] the giant Oprah Winfrey's face?

1d945fc88f8e5b8b-600x338.jpg

Disney has such big money behind it, it's reallya shame their live action's are sorta down in the dumps this passed decade.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
it was doomed as soon as they had Kenneth Branagh direct it, outside of Shakespeare films this dudes work is abysmal. especially when it comes to franchise flicks

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Man. I loved these books when I was younger. I remember obsessively searching for news about movie adaptations when I was still in high school, and that was more than a decade ago. Crazy that they're trying to make it happen now.

As much as I'd love to be proven wrong, I think it's just too late. They missed their chance.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie looked interesting but I didn't realize Josh Gad was in this. I don't remember seeing him in any of the previous promos. I find him to be kinda meh.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With D23 coming in a couple of weeks we'll probably find out the future of the film and if they still plan on the spring 2020 release.

Oct 28, 2017
I always wanted to go back and read them again, or rather the first three, cause I have zero idea how many they made after I stopped. The trailer for the movie kinda made me second guess that idea cause it looked like hot ass.

There are 8 books out, as a teen I stopped reading after the 5th, it was pretty convoluted and Artemis had become such a goody two shoes that it got way less interesting. The series is fun exactly because he is a 12 years old amoral arrogant ass

Last year I bought book number 6 because I heard about the film and was curious how the story continued. It's actually pretty good. It's the second time travel story in a row which doesn't exactly bode well, but that means older reformed Artemis and young asshole Artemis meet and it's awesome

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
I loved the first few books, but lost all interest in this when I saw that the casting call totally Disneyfied Artemis:

Artemis is warm-hearted and has a great sense of humour; he has fun in whatever situation he is in and loves life.

The whole point of the character is that he's a ruthless sociopath in the form of an unassuming kid, and his slow development of empathy and friendship is what drives much of the novels. They totally neutered all that.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i remember talking about this movie on messageboards in Two Thousand And Three.

will see it day 1. butler being black and root being played by judi are great twists on the source, and i have no issue with there seeming to be more action than the book had. the book is the book, i wanna see this as something new.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
I lost faith in Disney when I watched A Wrinkle in Time, sick, and still found it terrible.

Disney has such big money behind it, it's reallya shame their live action's are sorta down in the dumps this passed decade.
I may need to watch A Wrinkle in Time now because that looks hilariously awful.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I know jack shit about Artemis Fowl, but you better believe I'm going to identify that typeface.

4y8HFtVC_o.jpeg

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this shit was doomed as soon as that 2003-ass KID WITH SUNGLASSES poster dropped

Holy fuck lmfao

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Should have made Skulduggery Pleasant instead

(Actually I think they tried and the author thought the screenplay was so nad he told them not to go ahead with it)