• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
After about ten years of being on the fence I finally ordered a Wacom. It's a small, cheaper version, but I was just testing the waters tbh. The final push was wanting to use/test it for sculpting in Blender. But I want to get back into drawing. This was once a huge part of my life and I've unfortunately allowed it to atrophy.

So my question: If I cannot afford Photoshop, what's my best alternative for little to no cost? Is Gimp suitable for drawing/illustration? I can spend a little bit, but I'm trying to be conservative.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this was too off-topic.

MrBoBo

Nov 6, 2017
So my question: If I cannot afford Photoshop, what's my best alternative for little to no cost? Is Gimp suitable for drawing/illustration? I can spend a little bit, but I'm trying to be conservative..

Firealpaca is free but the downside is ads, which is basically a single one-click-close pop up window when it launches, good trade off. Alot of people who draw anime like using it.

http://firealpaca.com

MrCow

Oct 30, 2017
HxlAJn7.jpg
My first digital piece in quite some time.

So my question: If I cannot afford Photoshop, what's my best alternative for little to no cost? Is Gimp suitable for drawing/illustration? I can spend a little bit, but I'm trying to be conservative.

I can recommend Krita. https://krita.org/en/
It is an open source drawing program and completely free.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I like Krita too, but I've had a glitch for a long time where using the eye dropper or any selection tool is like 3 cm to the left of where I'm actually clicking.

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Banner's finally up, yay, only 3ish months late.

Hi. How do you resize images?
what are you using? I usually do resizing through photoshop, gimp might let you do it as well though I'm not sure. I think Firealpaca can do it.

If you upload the pic to Flickr then you can urls for it at fixed sizes ranging from its original size to something much smaller.

MrBoBo

Nov 6, 2017
Banner's finally up, yay, only 3ish months late.

what are you using? I usually do resizing through photoshop, gimp might let you do it as well though I'm not sure. I think Firealpaca can do it.

If you upload the pic to Flickr then you can urls for it at fixed sizes ranging from its original size to something much smaller.

Thanks.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

I use Clip Studio Paint, or also known as Manga Studio. Normal price is $50, but just wait for a sale, usually every couple of months they'll have it, and drop the price to $25, very affordable imo. And they have loads, loads of free user made downloadable materials (brush, patterns, 3d objects, etc)

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I need to train myself to draw faster, at least double my current speed. Anywho, have a Cordelia!
fe_cordelia_by_mrunfortunate-dbzb1eq.jpg

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Time to start getting ready to do that damn comic I wrote dang near three years ago. Here's the main character:
sammy_concept_by_mrunfortunate-dbzfj15.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Which thread to choose? Seems to be very little activity in either.

I've been drawing for a long time but recently I've been more active. I started doodling portraits of RPG characters while at work in 2009 and then went home to finish them with an ancient Wacom. At one point it was suggested that I use all those pictures for something, so I built a card game, which in turn required me to draw even more. Now I'm done with the first and second editions of the game but I keep drawing new characters just for the fun of it (or maybe to make into a third edition one day).

I initially wanted to get kind of a brushy look, inspired by Street Fighter IV at the time. I've been trying out several programs but eventually settled for Photoshop CS2, and with the old Wacom it necessitated doing short strokes since it was rather inaccurate. I've recently upgraded to a Intuos Pro which feels much more natural, and instead of always drawing a sketch first, I've started doing digital sketches right away. My program of choice now is Krita. I was going to try out MangaStudio, but I needed an upgrade for Photoshop to Elements 2018 so I didn't want to buy another program right then.

I feel that I've gotten a pretty good grip on basic faces and hair, but the further down the body I go, the worse it gets. I've focused a bit on hands and feets recently, but elbows and knees generally escape me. I suppose mostly doing portraits isn't helping me there.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some comments. These two are from 2009 so it's a bit late to do anything about those.
Silver.jpg

Elandar.jpg

These are recent ones that I'm happy with:
Nenielle.jpg

Menos.jpg

All my portraits are drawn in 4000x4000. The procedure is:
* Draw a sketch and refine it
* Scan if on paper
* Draw digital ink lines, usually with a ~34 size brush in Krita
* Fill in base colour
* Pick a background to decide ambient lighting
* Draw shading by starting from the base colour and picking other shades

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna draw every day in 2018, and so far all I did was New Years Day. Here it is, though:
19059989_10156296065251178_844102664184972999_n.jpg

(zebra pen outlines, Doc Martin's watercolor face, dilluted J Herbin stormy grey 1670 for that bg square)

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna draw every day in 2018, and so far all I did was New Years Day. Here it is, though:
19059989_10156296065251178_844102664184972999_n.jpg

(zebra pen outlines, Doc Martin's watercolor face, dilluted J Herbin stormy grey 1670 for that bg square)

Don't worry, if you start doing two drawings a day you'll catch up in no time!

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very, very new to drawing (I'm in day 2) and this isn't an original but it was a start and I'm proud I did something that wasn't a blob, this is pretty much the first thing that I wasn't totally embarrassed to show off.

27624699_1482595561862547_8151130877943754046_o.jpg

The original that I used for reference.

ScottPilgrimVsTheWorldTheGame_Screenshot_Love1_1276206288-3231461-747x309.jpg

sinopiasaur

Apr 17, 2018
WA, USA
For Evolved1 - this is very late, but if you're still looking around for PS alternatives, there's a free alternative to Manga Studio aka Clip Studio Paint that I like; MediBang Paint. Both desktop and mobile versions exist for this, with free cloud storage if you so desire. I still use MediBang Paint because it's got an extremely good way to extract lines from a scanned drawing.

For everyone else -- I thought it might be good to drop in this very nice Permission Slip that I keep in mind while I do my art stuff. This is courtesy of Ursula Vernon, who is an artist I quite admire:

110650_original.jpg

For more explanation, see here: https://ursulav.livejournal.com/1595179.html

But basically to get through to the good art you gotta keep doing the art even if it is terrible. I know I gotta draw a kind of thing multiple times before I get it right---sometimes due to the specific tool I'm using, sometimes due to not being familiar with the thing---so even though I'm getting decent at drawing I can still have sessions where I'm not very awesome.

I still keep going. Not every day, because chronic illness sucks, but I do art when I can.

Anyways, I'm starting to draw some Svalbard Reindeer. They're cute and unusual for reindeer. I've drawn a young elk before but not much in the way of elk or similar animals, so the first couple are gonna be rough.

svalbard-deer-1_Signed.jpg

Ballpoint pen is a very good sketching tool; I use a cheap Bic Stic that responds very well to pressure. With a Bic Stic and a small sketchbook I can draw anywhere, and that's one of the reasons I stopped using a computer--well, that plus the eye strain of owwwwwwfuck. I know none of them are stable/lasting/archival, but they're for practice and I photograph them anyways.

I'm playing around with how to render the coat, among other things. What kinds of pen strokes work best to portray antler velvet? Also what is the 3-d form of the reindeer? They have such tiny short legs, a very distinctive feature, and their bellies are very round and kind of adorable.

I switched over to a Uniball Jetstream ballpoint pen, and unfortunately that hybrid ink is not responsive to pressure and blots a lot. It flows a lot more like a gel ink than the oil ink in most non-gel ballpoint pens. The results are not as good and also I don't have the best handle on the reindeer:

svalbard-deer-2_Signed.jpg

This is still an interesting effect I can keep in my back pocket for a future project but it's difficult to control for now.

I'll still need to do more of these little quick studies to get a better idea of the reindeer. And I'll probably do them in different mediums as well.

sinopiasaur

Apr 17, 2018
WA, USA
Today: sketching the same reference picture in microns, once for each of the three main sizes I usually work from. None of them are particularly good, but this is the type of drawing exploration I use to figure out which pen width is good for which parts of the drawing of a particular kind of subject. A next step is to combine the pens, although I still want to see what I can do with the brush pen first.

svalbard-microns_Signed.jpg

Currently I'm working on burning down a Pentalic traveler sketchbook that's about A5 in size, a bit smaller. The sketchbook is pretty good with all dry media as well as pen and ink, but it works best with pen and ink and only OK with pencils, due to the mostly smooth nature of the page. Not plate-smooth like plate bristol, but smoother than vellum bristol. I've used oil pencils successfully in these sketchbooks but said pencils feel much better on vellum to medium grain surfaces.

These are sepia pens, because for some reason I'm more fond of warm darks than pure black.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
For Evolved1 - this is very late, but if you're still looking around for PS alternatives, there's a free alternative to Manga Studio aka Clip Studio Paint that I like; MediBang Paint. Both desktop and mobile versions exist for this, with free cloud storage if you so desire. I still use MediBang Paint because it's got an extremely good way to extract lines from a scanned drawing.

Thanks. I actually decided to just subscribe to adobe creative cloud. Didn't realize a cheap sub was even an option. So now I'm using photoshop and stuff. But yeah thanks though.

sinopiasaur

Apr 17, 2018
WA, USA
Yesterday and today has much construction and like a call with a disability lawyer and basically I have no concentration or nerves today and maybe even tomorrow for drawing.

However yesterday I did a little brush pen test, using a very good non-photo blue pencil to lay in the initial structure. The blue is so light that I had to futz with the image to get the sketch to show up in a photograph. It's a non-photo pencil after all...

svalbard-brush-prep_Signed.jpg

And then working in the tiny figure with a brush pen.

svalbard-brush_Signed.jpg

So I've got a page of svalbard reindeer sketches now in each of the Micron pens that I use for various works, and at some point later this week I want to put it all together into a more full pen sketch using each pen as appropriate.

I might take a break though to do a version of the reindeer using an oil pencil. I tend to use mediums that are extremely unkind or impossible to erase, and that all by itself has been extremely helpful in removing hesitation and backtracking.

Also yeah; none of these are full-out finished works of art, which is the key to keep drawing very often. Every artist I know, even the ones who work purely alla prima (all at once in a single session), take hours to days to do a solid, good work. Even experienced digital artists will take something like a minimum of 48 to 72 hours (and more) to do one of those super-impressive masterpieces (that I know they don't consider masterpieces; a true masterpiece to them would take even longer!).

So keep on going even if things are scribbly. Focus on the fun of the creation rather than only on the end product.

--

Hammering continues, needed to do something to get my anxiety down, so did tiny studies. Helped, but anxiety is still through the roof. Sometimes concentrating on a single subject is helpful. Every subject has so many aspects, even if it's just an individual rather than a collection of them. Look at those hooves. They aren't at all like horse's hooves.

This is a nero soft 5,6mm lead. It's a kind of charcoal mixed with oil and grease to remove smudging and dusting.

svalbard-closeup-studies.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
Just recently started drawing again, currently working to "shake off the rust" and get my skills back, along with furthering my current standards.

Anyways here is a sketch I completed yesterday for a Clan mate for Destiny 2. I asked someone to send me their Guardian,as I wanted something more futuristic to draw, to challenge myself as Destiny 2 by design has many organic lines that meet geometric hard lines.

HX31YWI.jpg

Aug 7, 2018
Currently a work in progress, fairly certain I have the perspective corrected in this piece (as this is my practice point at this time) but the face and head is going to cause me delay. I can't get anything on the paper that I am happy with and I don't want to take a shortcut with it. It's getting there and I think if I play around a bit I can come up with something I am happy with in the end.

Obligatory - Samus Sketch

sFhRsZt.jpg

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the new DBZ Abridged episode inspired me.. (not nearly as talented as you guys but what the hell)
7jDYjkK.jpg

Aug 7, 2018
Made this yesterday for my Friend's Birthday, he loves Transformers and especially Starscream, so went with the King Starscream version of the character. I think it turned out okay overall.

I still want to finish the Samus sketch but I'm at a "block" right now with it and the face, I can't seem to sketch anything I am happy with, I'll return to it soon.

sKwHFeZ.jpg

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, it's a new year! I took the drawing-a-day stuff off in 2018, although I was still busy art-wise. Time to get back to it, though! I'll try to do one drawing/sketch/scribble per day, probably in different mediums, be it pencil, digital or crayon. If I miss a day or two, I'll try to catch up later. My goal is to push myself to get better in some areas I need improvement.

Anyone else in? (Tfritz ?)

SQxgDyy.jpg

Last edited:

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Loving the look of your sketch, heavy liquid!

Can't promise that I'll create as many pieces this year, but I definitely want to draw more, as I'm just about to start my second term at University (animation). It's mainly a 3D course, but I want to up my drawing skills nonetheless. Never know where things take you, and I enjoy it.

Yesterday's piece of mine, done with reference I found on Pinterest (Model / Actor name: Nana Komatsu):

ndULW1r.jpg

Critique welcome!

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! I'm not alone! *phew* Nice sketch, Supervizzle .

No worries if you miss a day or two. The key to improving is consistency. So even if you draw just a 20 min sketch like you did, it will add up.Even if it's a 5 or 10 minute sketch, post it for consistency and so you can look back at your progress.
I'm sure being able to draw will help your 3D animation, such as being able to lay out some rough storyboards or designing character ideas.

As for a critique, I'd say keep at it! Your proportions are there and you picked a tough face (puckered lips and glasses are always a challenge).

0IpOBHK.jpg

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks heavy liquid! Did my part of keeping at it today, here's my second sketch. I'm not quite happy with the shading, I need to develop a better feel for it ha.

I'm really loving how loose your sketches feel, it makes them feel alive.

8d15d11c4e98e0f8.jpg

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks heavy liquid! Did my part of keeping at it today, here's my second sketch. I'm not quite happy with the shading, I need to develop a better feel for it ha.

I'm really loving how loose your sketches feel, it makes them feel alive.

Thanks! Just starting off keeping things loose for now.

Your second drawing is even better. It feels less flat than your first one -- like I can feel the weight of his hoodie.

As for shading, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It looks like the bits you have in there is good. When I want to practice shading, I'll sometimes look for photos that have lots of shadows. That way, you can easily tell where the shadows fall on the face depending on the light source.

Anyone thinking about participating in this? https://www.brooklynartlibrary.com/sketchbookproject

$65 is a bit pricey for the book plus digitization but I'm thinking about going for it since I've been meaning to do it.

Looks cool! Yeah, $65 is a bit pricey, but I guess it's 20% off right now? I don't know if it's something I'd do myself, but maybe someday.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Thanks! Just starting off keeping things loose for now.

Your second drawing is even better. It feels less flat than your first one -- like I can feel the weight of his hoodie.

As for shading, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It looks like the bits you have in there is good. When I want to practice shading, I'll sometimes look for photos that have lots of shadows. That way, you can easily tell where the shadows fall on the face depending on the light source.

Looks cool! Yeah, $65 is a bit pricey, but I guess it's 20% off right now? I don't know if it's something I'd do myself, but maybe someday.
It doesn't seem too bad with 20% off but still, it's still pricey. I'm interested in participating in traveling sketchbooks since I think there's a rawness that comes out of strangers expressing themselves. It's a shame that the NeoGAF notebooks got lost and pretty much went down the hill once the forum imploded. That was quite gratifying to participate in.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem too bad with 20% off but still, it's still pricey. I'm interested in participating in traveling sketchbooks since I think there's a rawness that comes out of strangers expressing themselves. It's a shame that the NeoGAF notebooks got lost and pretty much went down the hill once the forum imploded. That was quite gratifying to participate in.

Oh, I forgot all about the sketchbook project going over there! I never got to participate in it, but would definitely be interested if someone started it up over here.

7BvppiO.jpg

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The sketchbook thing sounds like a cool idea, but I think I'll skip it as it's so far away from me that I'll never get to see it... (that, and I have to save up for other things atm.)

No. 3! Went for a full body gesture this time around, rather than a portrait, as I got to practise these more as well. Capoeira:

cabd88e253d38ff8.jpg

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Hello art era I need some advice on a lot of art things but today i just need advice on color for my OC:

Basically do my colors work well?

here is a 4 year old picture(I can draw way better than this now i promise!) of the basics of her color scheme:

49414103_511396002602127_8913091998685069312_n.jpg

and heres just a headshot :
49555813_963683383817314_6489585985280540672_n.jpg

So she has red hair and green eyes but i always imagined her outfit as a combination of black and grey with gold. But i feel like the outfit clashes with her hair and eyes.

Now here of examples of her i had commissioned by two great artist (ShatteredEarth and Bampshi) , the first I gave her the my color scheme while the second I just let her do her own thing:
49319456_275684693121486_8414278113290092544_n.png

I feel like the color scheme of the outfit clash badly with the hair and eye color. Not the artist fault because she just used the colors i gave her.

49864975_309643263004523_5918399654680068096_n.png

Now the second commission uses colors that I feel blend really well and makes me feel like giving up the black and gold outfit scheme.

So I just wanted advice, should I drop the black and gold(im not changing the hair and eye colors) or can I still make this work?

breath_of_the_wild___riju_by_juuliewoof_db572ld-pre.jpg

Final note: This drawing of Riju by juuliewoof is what makes me feel like I can make it work because overall Rijus color scheme is very close to what I want for my OC and i find the red hair and green eyes work really well with the black and gold on Riju without clashing but I can't put my finger on why.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Hello art era I need some advice on a lot of art things but today i just need advice on color for my OC:

Basically do my colors work well?

Final note: This drawing of Riju by juuliewoof is what makes me feel like I can make it work because overall Rijus color scheme is very close to what I want for my OC and i find the red hair and green eyes work really well with the black and gold on Riju without clashing but I can't put my finger on why.

I'm not a color expert, but I think I can help you a bit from what I do know. Basically, your colors can work.

Colors are extremely tricky. The colors in the your drawing of Riju by juuliewoof work best because her green eyes are not limited to just her eyes. There are green accents in her dress, and her dress isn't pure black. It is a dark green tint with green highlights. This carries the green throughout the image. Same with her hair. It's not a bright red, but more muted, and the shadows of her skin have red in it, as well as the background being tinted rose. There are also red dots in the gold discs at the bottom of her dress and a red jewel in her crown. This brings a uniformity to the picture.

The two images you commissioned are on a white background. It would look much different if they had a rose colored background like her drawing. There is also very little shading. An artist can tie colors together with shading as well, like the drawing of Riju.

I did a quick drawing of your character with shading and some different backgrounds. I made the colors more like juuliewoof's: more muted and less saturated. It's very rough and sketchy, but mainly just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about and how different backgrounds can affect the overall image.

MAijd37.jpg

Q2LAgxr.jpg

ot6qu89.jpg

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a color expert, but I think I can help you a bit from what I do know. Basically, your colors can work.

Colors are extremely tricky. The colors in the your drawing of Riju by juuliewoof work best because her green eyes are not limited to just her eyes. There are green accents in her dress, and her dress isn't pure black. It is a dark green tint with green highlights. This carries the green throughout the image. Same with her hair. It's not a bright red, but more muted, and the shadows of her skin have red in it, as well as the background being tinted rose. There are also red dots in the gold discs at the bottom of her dress and a red jewel in her crown. This brings a uniformity to the picture.

The two images you commissioned are on a white background. It would look much different if they had a rose colored background like her drawing. There is also very little shading. An artist can tie colors together with shading as well, like the drawing of Riju.

I did a quick drawing of your character with shading and some different backgrounds. I made the colors more like juuliewoof's: more muted and less saturated. It's very rough and sketchy, but mainly just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about and how different backgrounds can affect the overall image.

MAijd37.jpg

Q2LAgxr.jpg

ot6qu89.jpg

WOW you have no idea how much I appreciate this, this is more in depth than I was expecting but it really eases my mind so thank you so much. I want to take drawing more seriously(my 2019 goal is to draw my first digital comic even if its just one page) and Ive created some characters over the years but despite having a color design i my head i rarely color my drawings. Which then results in when I do color them i realize some things might not look as good in my head as on paper. I am also not where I want to be with just drawing in general so at the moment I'm just trying to work the basics of drawing but I know i actually need to just study color theory.

Even with my hobbies I try to observe why something works( even if I don't understand it). Like its easy for me to see why Miles Morales and Silks colors work because its mainly just Red, Black and greys/white. I feel like its easy to make anything work with black. But then I look at the Strawhat Pirates(Timeskip) in One Piece and I can enjoy the color theory behind each character but I can't understand why it works to me on certain characters (like Franky, Chopper, Robin).

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
WOW you have no idea how much I appreciate this, this is more in depth than I was expecting but it really eases my mind so thank you so much. I want to take drawing more seriously(my 2019 goal is to draw my first digital comic even if its just one page) and Ive created some characters over the years but despite having a color design i my head i rarely color my drawings. Which then results in when I do color them i realize some things might not look as good in my head as on paper. I am also not where I want to be with just drawing in general so at the moment I'm just trying to work the basics of drawing but I know i actually need to just study color theory.

Even with my hobbies I try to observe why something works( even if I don't understand it). Like its easy for me to see why Miles Morales and Silks colors work because its mainly just Red, Black and greys/white. I feel like its easy to make anything work with black. But then I look at the Strawhat Pirates(Timeskip) in One Piece and I can enjoy the color theory behind each character but I can't understand why it works to me on certain characters (like Franky, Chopper, Robin).

You're welcome! There's a lot more to color, but you shouldn't be afraid of it. Dive in and try out different things. Look up different complimentary colors and color palettes. You could also experiment with a color palette generator. Sometimes it's good to not worry about trying to recreate the colors you see in your head exactly, but let them change based on what appeals to you while doing it. Same with drawing.

I might do a finished version of your character later, since I'm halfway there already. I can count it towards one of my days, then.

Also, you should join in posting a drawing a day! It doesn't have to be a masterpiece. They won't all be, because life can get in the way. Just a 10 minute scribble is fine. If you want critiques, I can try to help.

OHyh4K4.jpg

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Skipped a few days to work on this one. I made a few other sketches in my notebook, but they're just some scribbles of rubbish bins, windows, etc. :P

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Skipped a few days to work on this one. I made a few other sketches in my notebook, but they're just some scribbles of rubbish bins, windows, etc. :P

Nice animation! Keep it coming... and feel free to post the scribbles. I don't know how many people see this thread being in Hangouts, but it would be great to keep the daily art going with as many people as possible. Hopefully some other people will join in. All levels are welcome, I promise we won't bite. I've found that posting daily here keeps me motivated to not to slack off and skip days. And by drawing daily, you'll see improvement pretty quickly.

Keep in mind that with the daily grind, life can sometimes come at you with punching gloves, so you'll need to be forgiving to yourself if you end up only scribbling doodles now and then. And you'll even see improvement in your scribbles and doodles!

Last edited:

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Did a cleaned up version of your character, Vee

88dbgXK.jpg
Omg this is amazing :D

So I guess this will be my day 1:
XXHO4mG.jpg

LEX3T1Y.jpg

I was looking at stock photos of facial reactions to try to help me get more depth in my drawings, I always feel I have that flat lifeless "how to draw manga look". Also I'm trying to work on getting my own style (I know this is pretty common from beginner artist). i've been using real people for reference because before I just kind of copied artist I liked but realized I was just apeing their style and I wasn't actually learning anything but how to copy.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Omg this is amazing :D
I was looking at stock photos of facial reactions to try to help me get more depth in my drawings, I always feel I have that flat lifeless "how to draw manga look". Also I'm trying to work on getting my own style (I know this is pretty common from beginner artist). i've been using real people for reference because before I just kind of copied artist I liked but realized I was just apeing their style and I wasn't actually learning anything but how to copy.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I spent more time on it than I thought I was going to, but it was fun and I kind of chilled out and listened to music while doing it last night.

That could easily count as two days, since I see two pages worth! A couple more days of doubles and you're caught up.

Most people will tell you not to worry about actively trying to create a "style", and I agree. That's something that will naturally develop the more you draw. And good on you for using real people for reference. If you can draw realistic people, not only will it make drawing manga a piece of cake, but it will make it look much better since you'll have that foundation.

As for copying other artists style or artwork, it's a very good technique that's commonly used. People do "master studies" all the time where they will try to copy a famous artists painting or drawing. It's a good way to learn and get inside their head to see through their eyes, so to speak.

Some of my sketches from a few days ago, catching up. And you're right heavy liquid, just gotta stick with it and it will be worth it!

Right on. It's all about pacing yourself. Don't beat yourself up if you feel burned out and only end up doing a few scribbles. But even if I don't feel like drawing at first, once I start I find that I'll get into it.

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
my thread lives!!!

I've been drawing stuff too, just very, very, VERY slowly and meticulously:

Her coat, based on K's from Blade Runner 2049, looks way too much like K's coat >.>