• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
my thread lives!!!

I've been drawing stuff too, just very, very, VERY slowly and meticulously:

Her coat, based on K's from Blade Runner 2049, looks way too much like K's coat >.>

It's aliiiiiiiiiveee!

Hey Legend, been awhile! Are you going to try and join in the drawing-a-day?

Nice character! Her coat doesn't bother me at all. I suppose with the wool on the flap, it looks similar to BR2049. But that style reminds me of 80s/retro fashion. I think quite a few people had coats and shirts with the triangle flap thing back in the day. Check out Simon LeBon from Duran Duran:

duran-duran-Smash-Hits-7th-20th-July-1983.jpg

I've never done a redraw before, and finally decided to do one. I was looking at an old drawing in my sketchbook and found the original reference photo, so I gave it a shot. The original drawing is from 2 years ago. Just before I started doing the drawing-a-day back at the old site during 2017.

October 2016
EAisF5A.jpg

7. January 2019
zWIst3a.jpg

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
It's aliiiiiiiiiveee!

Hey Legend, been awhile! Are you going to try and join in the drawing-a-day?

Nice character! Her coat doesn't bother me at all. I suppose with the wool on the flap, it looks similar to BR2049. But that style reminds me of 80s/retro fashion. I think quite a few people had coats and shirts with the triangle flap thing back in the day. Check out Simon LeBon from Duran Duran:

duran-duran-Smash-Hits-7th-20th-July-1983.jpg

I've never done a redraw before, and finally decided to do one. I was looking at an old drawing in my sketchbook and found the original reference photo, so I gave it a shot. The original drawing is from 2 years ago. Just before I started doing the drawing-a-day back at the old site during 2017.

October 2016
EAisF5A.jpg

7. January 2019
zWIst3a.jpg
I'm too slow for a drawing a day lol but I'll try to hang in there until school starts (and proceeds to get hectic) and thanks! I'm trying to figure out ways to make this feel cyberpunk-like outside of obvious mechanical parts, which this character can't have anyway. I keep thinking about K's design though and how he doesn't necessarily look like a cyberpunk character and would fit right in with something more contemporary. That redraw looks pretty good, her face feels much more natural and her hair especially!

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm too slow for a drawing a day lol but I'll try to hang in there until school starts (and proceeds to get hectic) and thanks! I'm trying to figure out ways to make this feel cyberpunk-like outside of obvious mechanical parts, which this character can't have anyway. I keep thinking about K's design though and how he doesn't necessarily look like a cyberpunk character and would fit right in with something more contemporary. That redraw looks pretty good, her face feels much more natural and her hair especially!

Thanks! Yeah I can see improvement in the posture and construction of the figure in the redraw. More three dimensional.

I think another way you can really convey that your character is in a cyberpunk environment is to make her gun more futuristic. Right now it looks like she has a six shooter or something? I would look up some futuristic guns for reference. If that's still not enough, you could always look push the wardrobe further away from the button shirts and jeans that she's wearing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a drawing tablet but I haven't drawn much at all. I want to develop, what's the best way to start? Any good tutorials or places to start?

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aww man, I miss so much to draw.
Office work has kept my artwork on the fringe for too long, I will try to do a sketch every day or so and upload it here.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Aww man, I miss so much to draw.
Office work has kept my artwork on the fringe for too long, I will try to do a sketch every day or so and upload it here.

Do it! I'm starting to feel lonely in this thread! :)

Office work had kept (still keeps) me on the fringe for longer than I want to admit. But I started doing the drawing-a-day at the old place during 2017 and saw definite improvement. I try to spend around 30 min or so before work just sketching or whatever. Sometimes when I get home, if I'm not too burned out. Not every day will will produce a masterpiece, and that's fine. Nothing wrong with a napkin doodle. But I've had a few unexpected drawings that turned out better than I thought, so it's all good!

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ps3Dte2.jpg

1366507e1cbfe22e1b15219a4b1eb825.jpg

nyjah-huston-skateboarding-header.jpg

Here are a couple that I did today, and the references I used for them. Just doing some of these drawings I realized there are a lot of things that I do not know that I did not consider while doing normal studies.

Perspective - Haven't really studied or looked into this thoroughly yet, but it is definitely very important and difficult to do. A lot of skateboarding photography has crazy perspective with the fish eye lenses.
Basic Anatomy/Proportions - Just started gesture drawing so my figure/anatomy knowledge is pretty much non-existent. Hands are certainly difficult, and the face/head I will have to tackle as well.
Clothes - Proper fit and the wrinkles/folds are more difficult than I had anticipated.
Shading - Haven't looked into at all yet. Youtube'd a "How to draw clouds" and just gave it a quick attempt.

I'll try to post as often as possible but I think I may wait until the weekends to post a sketch or two I've done throughout the week.. Most of the days I just go over fundamentals, and study instead of doing actual sketches. Will probably do more sketches to keep things exciting though.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
ps3Dte2.jpg

1366507e1cbfe22e1b15219a4b1eb825.jpg

nyjah-huston-skateboarding-header.jpg

Here are a couple that I did today, and the references I used for them. Just doing some of these drawings I realized there are a lot of things that I do not know that I did not consider while doing normal studies.

Perspective - Haven't really studied or looked into this thoroughly yet, but it is definitely very important and difficult to do. A lot of skateboarding photography has crazy perspective with the fish eye lenses.
Basic Anatomy/Proportions - Just started gesture drawing so my figure/anatomy knowledge is pretty much non-existent. Hands are certainly difficult, and the face/head I will have to tackle as well.
Clothes - Proper fit and the wrinkles/folds are more difficult than I had anticipated.
Shading - Haven't looked into at all yet. Youtube'd a "How to draw clouds" and just gave it a quick attempt.

I'll try to post as often as possible but I think I may wait until the weekends to post a sketch or two I've done throughout the week.. Most of the days I just go over fundamentals, and study instead of doing actual sketches. Will probably do more sketches to keep things exciting though.

Hey broken, nice to see some of your work! Keep it up and even if you just post on the weekends, it'll be fun to see you improve. There's a lot to learn and take in, but like I said before, try to have fun with it. Perspective, anatomy, clothes, and shading will all come in time with practice the more you do it.
One figure drawing tip I'll mention is to draw the figure without clothing first, and then put the t-shirt and pants on after (or whatever clothes). That way you have a solid figure structure underneath. Like this:

img_1057.jpg

Catching up with the daily stuff:

UgwLYwq.jpg

R1swuKt.jpg

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey broken, nice to see some of your work! Keep it up and even if you just post on the weekends, it'll be fun to see you improve. There's a lot to learn and take in, but like I said before, try to have fun with it. Perspective, anatomy, clothes, and shading will all come in time with practice the more you do it.
One figure drawing tip I'll mention is to draw the figure without clothing first, and then put the t-shirt and pants on after (or whatever clothes). That way you have a solid figure structure underneath. Like this:

img_1057.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Most of the time I spend on the weekdays drawing seems to be on fundamentals and study. I'm currently going over gestures more thoroughly than I was last time. I'm taking notes and actually putting thought into each line rather than brute force grinding until it suddenly works.

I believe it was in the other thread that you said to hold your pencil a certain way when doing gesture drawings. I'm having a difficult time trying to do that with the 2B pencil that I am using. Is it possible with normal pencils? Or is that grip mainly for charcoal? I have a couple charcoal pencils in my set, but they're not sharpened yet.

Glad to see that you're continuing to post everyday. I may post some of my study/practice on the weekdays just to keep the thread a little more active, but once again I'll definitely try to post on the weekends.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Most of the time I spend on the weekdays drawing seems to be on fundamentals and study. I'm currently going over gestures more thoroughly than I was last time. I'm taking notes and actually putting thought into each line rather than brute force grinding until it suddenly works.

I believe it was in the other thread that you said to hold your pencil a certain way when doing gesture drawings. I'm having a difficult time trying to do that with the 2B pencil that I am using. Is it possible with normal pencils? Or is that grip mainly for charcoal? I have a couple charcoal pencils in my set, but they're not sharpened yet.

Glad to see that you're continuing to post everyday. I may post some of my study/practice on the weekdays just to keep the thread a little more active, but once again I'll definitely try to post on the weekends.

You're welcome!

As for holding the pencil, I found a decent Proko video that will explain it better than me writing it down:

Yes, you can use this method with 2B pencils, charcoal, pastels, whatever. I do all the time. Like the video explains, I'll hold the pencil like this to lightly draw when finding the form of something, and then switch to the tripod method for details. But sometimes I mostly stick with holding the pencil like this. It'll take a while to get used to it, but your drawing will be better for it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
heavy liquid nice work, I like your style! 26 is top tier!

I'm streaming some random sketches 3/4 times a week, here's yesterday's batch !

I'll update with more fleshed out characters, as I'm working on a small game prototype these days !

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Hey thanks, Ci
heavy liquid nice work, I like your style! 26 is top tier!

I'm streaming some random sketches 3/4 times a week, here's yesterday's batch !

I'll update with more fleshed out characters, as I'm working on a small game prototype these days !

Hey thanks, Ciao! I really like the style you have, too. I dig those chunky blacks and shadows. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Funny you mention day 26.. it was fun to do and I've been meaning to play around with that style a bit more. But then I got sidetracked with doing more traditional work and shading, and now I'm playing around with colored pencils. I'll have to explore more like that soon!

Jt7qSOl.jpg