• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
j8ZxPII.jpg

and inked:
yOjng38.jpg

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great seeing all the work and consistency heavy liquid !!

I did sketch around a bit, but didn't get around to posting much. Here's a sheet from my first character design lesson from yesterday, my brief was 'guard' / 'security guard'. We were taught about the importance of researching and experimenting :D

HfnEoTu.jpg

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
ronin_kid_and_stuff_by_faust_nebel_dczxemm-fullview.jpg

Yesterday's stream !
I'm probably Zbrush sculpting the Samuraï Kid this week .

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Great seeing all the work and consistency heavy liquid !!

I did sketch around a bit, but didn't get around to posting much. Here's a sheet from my first character design lesson from yesterday, my brief was 'guard' / 'security guard'. We were taught about the importance of researching and experimenting :D

HfnEoTu.jpg

Hey thanks, Supervizzle! It's great to see some more posts here. :D I like your character sketches, they have a really nice whimsical feel to them.

ronin_kid_and_stuff_by_faust_nebel_dczxemm-fullview.jpg

Yesterday's stream !
I'm probably Zbrush sculpting the Samuraï Kid this week .

Good stuff as always, Ciao! They're all good, but if I had to choose, I think I like the top left best. They guy with the nose and miniature wings. :)

I'm playing catch up today since I didn't post anything yesterday. I've got company in town this weekend, so I haven't had as much time to sketch.

MCBlByb.jpg

CL18XwC.jpg

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Spent a bit of time on it and made it smoother, can you tell me which one of the two you prefer? :D

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
heavy liquid check this artist if you don't know him already :
https://www.deviantart.com/davi-go/gallery/
NSFW tho, be warned!

He's great with pencils, and your style reminds me of him. I'm sure you can steal some tricks from him!
And on that exact topic of inspiration, assimilation and creation, here's his last vid !

I have the exact same stance as him on this subject.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
heavy liquid check this artist if you don't know him already :
https://www.deviantart.com/davi-go/gallery/
NSFW tho, be warned!

He's great with pencils, and your style reminds me of him. I'm sure you can steal some tricks from him!
And on that exact topic of inspiration, assimilation and creation, here's his last vid !

I have the exact same stance as him on this subject.

Hey, thanks for the link and vid. I haven't heard of him before, but I like his stuff and see how our styles seem similar. Especially with the colored pencil stuff I've been playing around with, lately.

He's spot on about learning to draw by copying, too. It's probably the best way to learn, as long as you're copying from other artists who are good. You don't want to teach yourself other people's mistakes. I taught myself by copying comic books growing up.

Another comic book artist who I like quite a bit is Jeff Dekal. I think he mostly does covers, but also a lot of portrait and figure stuff with traditional media.
http://jeffdekal.com/traditional/

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
e4kwk9h.jpg

I started learning to draw this month so this is a early attempt taking what I've learned into practice.

Hey, nice to see you joining in! If you have any questions or want any critiques, just holler. The video Ciao posted above is pretty good advice for beginners. Just turn on some music and start copying things you like.
And please post more stuff if you keep up with it, I'd like to see your progress!

GegS719.jpg

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, nice to see you joining in! If you have any questions or want any critiques, just holler. The video Ciao posted above is pretty good advice for beginners. Just turn on some music and start copying things you like.
And please post more stuff if you keep up with it, I'd like to see your progress!

GegS719.jpg
Thank you ^_^ right now I'm watching an online class and learning fundamentals so I have a long way to go. I'll be uploading more for sure.

Side note: that's fantastic

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I edited, that should be visible now !

And very nice work on 54 ! It woud look good with vectorized black and white lines !

Thanks! Inking or going over it digitally later might be fun to do.
And nice drawings, they all have appealing shapes. I like the gorilla.

Saw Battle Angel again this afternoon, and felt like doing some fanart.
Very rough still, I'll have to finish it later.

EY71UqH.jpg

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
D0SFNo8X0AIUw3P.jpg

Can I post my 3D speed sculpt? It's my daily ZBrush practice, the process is the same as my random tablet sketches !
It's my third time with ZBrush, still discovering how it works, but I love it so far !

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
i'm so proud of you heavy liquid for keeping it up where others have failed

lol, thanks! You should join in, even if it's just a weekend painting or whatever.

D0SFNo8X0AIUw3P.jpg

Can I post my 3D speed sculpt? It's my daily ZBrush practice, the process is the same as my random tablet sketches !
It's my third time with ZBrush, still discovering how it works, but I love it so far !

Nice job! Don't see why not, it's artistic and basically a digital sculpture. I'd like to try messing around with ZBrushp one of these days..

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
The UI is very intimidating at first, I had to ask one of my animation student friends to break it down for me. But after that, the actual sculpting process is very intuitive. I'm in love with it now !

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
My last sketches are NSFW, I'll pass my turn this time! Good job on Gally (or Alita if you're a heathen) !

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
My last sketches are NSFW, I'll pass my turn this time! Good job on Gally (or Alita if you're a heathen) !

Thanks! I've been a big fan since the beginning. In the US, at least. I watched the OVA when it came out and then avidly read each of the comics/graphic novels as VIZ put them out in the mid 90's. I'm not entirely happy with the sketch... but it's just a rough, so I might spend some time cleaning it up this weekend.

SuwGAnZ.jpg

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Me, foolishly, earlier today: "I will attempt Ahmed Adoori's 100 Head Challenge"

Me, halfway through the fifth portrait: "I have made a huge mistake"

Wow! That looks like a lot of fun! A lot of work, but a lot of fun. You'll be caught up and then some in less than a week!

I'm tempted to also try it out, but I wouldn't be able to start for a couple days, because I'm going to be pretty busy the next couple nights. I'm not sure if I could sustain the 10 drawings per day for 10 days. If I kept them small and loose thumbnails like he did in the video, I probably could.

BfGzCRj.jpg

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! That looks like a lot of fun! A lot of work, but a lot of fun. You'll be caught up and then some in less than a week!

I'm tempted to also try it out, but I wouldn't be able to start for a couple days, because I'm going to be pretty busy the next couple nights. I'm not sure if I could sustain the 10 drawings per day for 10 days. If I kept them small and loose thumbnails like he did in the video, I probably could.

Yeah, so far it feels like the biggest hurdle is managing your work flow - I'm gonna have to try and institute a two song limit on these or else I'm gonna burn out real quick.

Day 2:

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, so far it feels like the biggest hurdle is managing your work flow - I'm gonna have to try and institute a two song limit on these or else I'm gonna burn out real quick.

Day 2:

2 song limit seems reasonable. If the average song is 4 minutes, that's still 1hr20min to knock out 10 drawings. Around how long did it take you to do each of 10, do you think?

7aOh8QP.jpg

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
2 song limit seems reasonable. If the average song is 4 minutes, that's still 1hr20min to knock out 10 drawings. Around how long did it take you to do each of 10, do you think?

it's varied so far, because some are like, painting versus some just being sketches - which highlights another issue with this, you have to balance between trying new things and learning versus just banging out ten heads

anyway, day 3:

lotta sculptures in today's pool