• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks!

VNlZews.jpg

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
QPdIpNP.png

i never really noticed how common the "mouth hanging slightly ajar" thing was until i started combing pinterest for reference photos

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
i never really noticed how common the "mouth hanging slightly ajar" thing was until i started combing pinterest for reference photos

Yeah, it's one of those things that once you notice it, you can't stop seeing it everywhere. It does seem to mostly be women doing it. I'll sometimes just keep looking until I find someone that don't have their mouth open.

This is a WIP for a vanitas prompt I've been working on yesterday and today. Hopefully I can pull it together... not sure how happy I am with it so far.
I planned on working on it more this weekend, but ended up binging Evangelion on Netflix.

dMo8s30.jpg

AgrXSpf.jpg

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Just about done with this, I think. I don't have to submit it until the 26th, so I'll probably clean it up and work on it a bit more with fresh eyes tomorrow.

0rMG2Aq.jpg

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
My thread has new life! I've been making stuff but I'll probably post them later as a sketch dump.

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Alrighty, here's a bit of the stuff I've been working on. I've been doodling daily but my progress has been slowing down.

tumblr_pty5ssDWHw1t50g6fo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pty5ssDWHw1t50g6fo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_pty5ssDWHw1t50g6fo3_1280.jpg

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
These are all great drawings. Wish i could draw like this...time to learn i guess.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yay! good to see this thread is still alive :)

I'll chuck some of my 1-day stuff

Last edited:
OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I'm redrawing an old pic from 2015 (which is taking a looooooong time) and here's a cropped wip shot

D_5PBirU0AA7Z20.jpg:large

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Cross post! Skirts confuse me so it's probably totally wrong lol but Infinity Train is great!

tumblr_pw5nqqaYql1t50g6fo1_1280.png

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Hey guys, lots of nice things in this thread! I've recently joined Era and when I'm not playing I like to draw, so I might as well add to the mill!

dde93ag-66496af5-cd45-4d77-9fcc-eb0e3ec0e411.png

Last edited:

DanCon

Oct 30, 2017
finished this drawing last week, started it about 3 months ago. getting i large round dibond print of it to fill a wall :) if anyone wants closeups let me know, dont want to spam too much.
70490123_10162177683590277_4384272898878078976_o.jpg

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Been looking for some outside motivation to keep me on track to practice my art, this thread seems like the perfect spot, if ya'll don't mind my intrusion.
So here's Mr. Sardonicus;
NftzX.jpg

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I stopped drawing years ago, but have been motivated to start back up again after watching a bunch of YouTube videos of talented artists.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I don't know if this is the right place for this, so if it is not I would appreciate any guidance as to where I should post. I am a graduate student and submitting a manuscript for publication, but need to change out some artwork for an experimental design because it is using photos that are not mine. I would like to commission someone to draw a simple replacement for the images (just a simple two tone, basic rendition of it) that I could use for publication. The art would be a mouse with syringe like this:
mousew4kfh.png

I know I could go on fiver or something like that, but I would rather go to the resetera community if possible.

Obviously I am not asking for a free drawing, I would pay you (although I am looking for somewhat reasonable rates as I think the drawing would be relatively simple for someone with the proper skills, that and I am still a grad student), and you would be in the acknowledgements for the paper if it were to be published.

Last edited:

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Hey btags, I'll give it a shot a but later on, for fun and for free. What size do you need it to be?
That would be absolutely awesome! I would really appreciate it. To be on the safe side, publications like to have stuff at 300-600 dpi, and the current image I have is about 2 inches wide, so I would say around 1200x1200.

As a minor note, if possible I would like the mouse to have the appearance of black fur, but if that is not possible with a two tone design that is fine.

Here is an example of how simplistic the final result could be, just so you have an idea of what is needed (nothing too complex). If you can keep the pose of the mouse in the image I posted, awesome, if not that is cool too.

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are really talented. What are your tricks for believable highlights and shadows?
For shadows, gotta think about the direction the light is coming from and how it hits the form in question. From there, you kinda guesstimate, based on the light source direction, how the shadow cast from the form lands on the part of the environment that the form is blocking from light.

For highlights... I'm still figuring them out myself but it is, like shadows, based on the direction of the light and the surface of the form being hit by said light BUT with the added bonus hyper difficulty mode in that it varies wildly depending on the materials of the form. How the highlights are done can also alter the perception of what the material is as well

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
2020 seems like it would have been a good year to get back on the sketch a day train but boy howdy did that not happen

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Tried a quick sketch, is it something like that you have in mind?
Holy crap this is awesome. If I could ask for one edit, could you move the syringe down so the needle looks like it is poking the leg? Whether or not you can change that, could you send me the image with a transparent background?

And I seriously insist that I pay you for this, it is great! Please let me know the best method of doing so.

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
For shadows, gotta think about the direction the light is coming from and how it hits the form in question. From there, you kinda guesstimate, based on the light source direction, how the shadow cast from the form lands on the part of the environment that the form is blocking from light.

For highlights... I'm still figuring them out myself but it is, like shadows, based on the direction of the light and the surface of the form being hit by said light BUT with the added bonus hyper difficulty mode in that it varies wildly depending on the materials of the form. How the highlights are done can also alter the perception of what the material is as well

You have a visual guide? Still sounds pretty complicated to me.

OP
OP
LegendX48

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
You have a visual guide? Still sounds pretty complicated to me.
sorry for leaving ya hanging there for so long >.>

the best visual guide here is reality :P

If you can set up a simple still life, some figures or simple objects, and then shine a light on them, you'll be able to see a bit of what I was saying. And, yeah, it sounds complicated cause it is, lighting is an unforgiving jerk that is obscenely difficult to get the hang of, as is most of art honestly lol >.>