• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for Bamboozled. Was already planning for 2020 to be the year I finally get rid of my glaring inexcusable Spike Lee blindspot.

Salesman is great, and when I saw it announced I thought "that would be hilarious if it included the Documentary Now! parody of it." Then I checked the special features and lo and behold. It's genuinely a great companion piece to the film and is a perfect example of what a loving parody should be.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Anyone?

flal2bnAq19IunfGdH1hS5Wy8WhyO7.jpg

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018

these four plus an Army of Shadows rerelease.

AWESOME news about The Cremator, a fantastic, politically-incisive Czech thriller. Been excited ever since I heard a new 4K restoration was initiated by the Czech Film Fund. The previous Second Run release looked decent, but this should be a huge upgrade. 👍

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Army of Shadows back in print is awesome, everyone should watch that masterpiece.

If they announce a Wong Kar Wai box set I might cry.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I love Le Samourai, but Army of Shadows didn't click with me for some reason...
I wasn't crazy about both, although of the two, I definitely preferred Army of Shadows. Like many artists whose later work doesn't seem to click with me (Bresson or Malick, to name two other examples), what was in their earlier careers excitingly singular in style eventually seemed to ossify and become too obsessive in their mature output. I'm much more inclined towards, say, Le Doulos if I feel like spinning up Melville.

Army of Shadows definitely has its merits, though. (I couldn't have been more bored by Le Samouraï.)

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
So clearly Netflix/Criterion have some budding relationship going. Special features for Irishman will be fire.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Or a ... Forum... Dedicated to... Movies.
That'd be neat. I think they had those back in the '00s.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017

www.criterion.com

Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits

In the early 1970s, a kung-fu dynamo named Bruce Lee side-kicked his way onto the screen and straight into pop-culture immortality. With his magnetic screen presence, tightly coiled intensity, and superhuman martial-arts prowess, Lee was an icon who conquered both Hong Kong and Hollywood cinema...

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am in a Shortmovie marathon in the last few days and I just saw Rite of Passages by Richard Stanley and I wonder if there is a feature lenght movie that explored the idea of a individual who experiences reincarnation while maintaining his memories? Its something that sounds really familiar and want to see a full movie over it

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Why Are There So Few Black Directors in the Criterion Collection? (Published 2020)

The prestigious line is coveted by cinephiles and taught in film schools. The company’s president blames his “blind spots” for largely shutting out Black Americans.

is really good about the state of the collection. however, i think it also shows how the canon shouldn't be shaped by a private company and we need to show up more for films that are released outside of the collection.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
www.nytimes.com

Why Are There So Few Black Directors in the Criterion Collection? (Published 2020)

The prestigious line is coveted by cinephiles and taught in film schools. The company’s president blames his “blind spots” for largely shutting out Black Americans.

is really good about the state of the collection. however, i think it also shows how the canon shouldn't be shaped by a private company and we need to show up more for films that are released outside of the collection.

Thanks - this was a great read.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
www.nytimes.com

I would be delighted to see Julie Dash's Daughters of the Dust and Billy Woodberry's Bless Their Little Hearts gain more recognition by the community as the superlative and important films that they are. (Bill Gunn's Stop!, too, if its licensing nightmares can ever be resolved.)

And yeah, anyone whom awards Criterion a presumed monopoly on representing the world's outstanding cinema is overlooking a whole crapton of great film art.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Excellent, atmospheric thriller with substance from the dawn of the Czech New Wave, coming to Second Run blu-ray in August.

Very few folks on this side of the pond have likely seen this title--unless you caught the horrible Facets DVD, which, until now, has been the only home video release. This promises to be a significant upgrade. Even includes the restored and controversial "brothel" scene, which was pretty strong stuff for the day.

13369.jpg

Description: A Jewish physician in Nazi-occupied Prague is compelled to work cataloguing the homes and possessions of his countrymen as they are displaced to designated ghettos. When he helps an injured resistance fighter, he is plunged into a moral and ethical dilemma, and begins a nightmarish odyssey to help save the man.

Focusing on the intense anxiety, paranoia and terror prevalent in a fascist state, Zbyněk Brynych's The Fifth Horseman is Fear subverts its historical context, creating an expressionistic, thinly disguised allegory about communist Czechoslovakia – or indeed living under any totalitarian system - that is richly atmospheric and frighteningly real.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • NEWLY REMASTERED BY THE CZECH NATIONAL FILM ARCHIVE
  • A newly-recorded Projection Booth audio commentary with Kat Ellinger, Jonathan Owen and Mike White
  • Two 'lost' sequences: the Italian Prologue, and the notorious Nazi brothel sequence that appeared in the 1968 American and Italian release versions of the film
  • Žalm (1966) - a short film by the renowned Czech filmmaker Evald Schorm to commemorate the tragic destiny of the Jewish people
  • 20-page booklet with new writing on the film by Jonathan Owen
  • New English subtitle translation

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Does anyone know if there is a Discord Community that revolves around stuff like B-Movies, Gialli, etc etc? Not sure if this s exactly the right place but I feel its more appropiated to ask here then anywhere else

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if there is a Discord Community that revolves around stuff like B-Movies, Gialli, etc etc? Not sure if this s exactly the right place but I feel its more appropiated to ask here then anywhere else

there is an unofficial Joe Bob Briggs Discord that is very welcoming to all horror fans and does fun watch parties all the time.

assuming you can tolerate JBB of course.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017

a fictional character played by a Texan film critic since the 80s, although the line between those two identities has gotten blurry over time. he presents genre movies on his Shudder show nowadays.

he could be deemed controversial due to his aversion to political correctness, but considering the sheer diversity of his fan base that I've noticed online, it seems a significant number of progressives enjoy him.

personally I've only discovered him in recent years but his live Shudder show has been a beacon of light for me during the pandemic, largely due to the communal experience of "virtually" watching it with fellow genre fans.

anyway, don't mean to derail the thread, this wasn't meant to be this wordy heh. if you do find a Discord that more specifically fits what you had in mind, please do share.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, it's finally happened. Got an email from Criterion announcing their first slate of 4K UHD releases. Time to re-buy everything. Again.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
György Fehér's extremely hard-to-find, Hungarian existential noir from 1990, Twilight (Szürkület), is finally coming to home video, courtesy of UK boutique label Second Run and based on a "stunning new 4K restoration" by the National Film Institute Hungary - Film Archive:

3457270943.jpg

https://secondrundvd.ecwid.com/?ownerid=7344019#!/Twilight-Szürkület-Blu-ray-Special-Edition/p/530378532

Fehér is a protégé and collaborator of Béla Tarr's (Sátántangó, Werckmeister Harmonies, The Turin Horse), for anyone unfamiliar with his name.

This new trailer of the film showcasing its black-and-white, brooding style and moody long takes should help folks pick up on Tarr's influence easily:

View: https://youtu.be/j1fie4Zl5Ms

Truly one of the most atmospheric and haunting movies ever made.

Last edited:

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
A trailer of the latest 4K restoration of a Béla Tarr masterpiece is up on Janus Films' YouTube channel:

View: https://youtu.be/-tJVdq_G_Go

One of the major achievements of twenty-first-century cinema thus far, Béla Tarr's mesmeric parable of societal collapse is an enigma of transcendent visual, philosophical, and mystical resonance. Adapted from a novel by the celebrated writer and frequent Tarr collaborator László Krasznahorkai, Werckmeister Harmonies unfolds in an unknown era in an unnamed village, where, one day, a mysterious circus—complete with an enormous stuffed whale and a shadowy, demagogue-like figure known as the Prince—arrives and appears to awaken a kind of madness in the citizens, which builds inexorably toward violence and destruction. In thirty-nine of his signature long takes, engraved in ghostly black and white, Tarr conjures an apocalyptic vision of dreamlike dread and fathomless beauty.

This likely bodes very well for a Criterion Werckmeister Harmonies release on disc. Crossing fingers it holds up to the standard of Arbelos' superb presentations of Sátántangó and Damnation.🤞

Last edited: