• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
Thanks! You're right, that logo ruins their designs. It's almost worth buying a region free player and getting the US copies but $$$. At least it's not as bad as the Australian ratings logo, that's gotta be the worst one.

It seems the Criterions are cheap atm on Zavvi, considering springing for The Royal Tenenbaums but I worry about their abysmal packaging for shipments. The last thing I ordered arrived in a broken case..

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Filmstruck keeps sending me 30 day trial emails to resubscribe so.... how is Filmstruck's picture quality these days? I see it streams films up to 1080p now. Is 1080p available in desktop browsers?

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Figured. I think it's the same deal with Netflix if you're not using Edge or the Windows app. I guess I'll wait for the PS4 app to release so I can compare 'em.

OP
OP
omgkitty

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
Yeah Filmstruck has been an almost unanimously garbage experience on desktop for me, but on my Apple TV, I haven't had any issues. I think overall the streaming quality is good and it stays consistent. No drops once it gets started.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Le Samourai today. I'm so hyped. It's been like 9 years since I last watched it in film class.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
February:

909_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

912_BD_box_34x490_original.jpg

911_BD_box_34x490_original.jpg

909_BD_box_34x490_original.jpg

13_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

335_BD_box_34x490_original.jpg

Well, that's one rather stacked February.

Speaking of, the extras for NotLD are nuts:
  • Night of Anubis, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
  • New program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
  • Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
  • New piece featuring Russo about the commercial and industrial-film production company where key Night of the Living Dead filmmakers got their start
  • Two audio commentaries from 1994, featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor
    Judith O'Dea, and more
  • Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
  • New programs about the editing, the score, and directing ghouls
  • New interviews with Gary R. Streiner and Russel W. Streiner
  • Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawans

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Tiny nitpick: it doesn't seem like Silence V2 has the supplement from the OOP version: the Voices of Death(documents on real killers) and the FBI Crime Classification Manual.

Had a feeling that was going to happen.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I could care less about that lineup outside of Actor's revenge. good films. just not anything I want to own.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
That Night of the Living Dead release looks like it'll more than make up for them not releasing it in October. I wonder how different that Night of Anubis cut is.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Eureka Flash Sale:

Masters of Cinema DVDs, Blu-rays and Dual Formats:

City Girl (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £7.99 Buy Now

Creepy (Masters of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99 Buy Now

If…. (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray) £6.99 Buy Now

Journey To The Shore (Masters of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99 Buy Now

Kes (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray) £9.99 Buy Now

Kwaidan (Masters of Cinema) (DVD) £7.99 Buy Now

The Last Command (Masters of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £10.99 Buy Now

La Planete Sauvage (AKA Fantastic Planet) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £8.99 Buy Now

Roma (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray) £6.99 Buy Now

Rumble Fish (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray) £6.99 Buy Now

Satyricon (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray) £7.99 Buy Now

Silent Running (Masters of Cinema) (Blu-ray) £7.99 Buy Now

That Cold Day In The Park (Masters of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99 Buy Now

Two Rode Together (Masters of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99 Buy Now

Vampyr (Masters of Cinema) (DVD) £6.99 Buy Now

Eureka Classics:

Finding Forrester (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £7.99 Buy Now

Lords Of Dogtown (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £6.99 Buy Now

The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £7.99 Buy Now

Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99 Buy Now

Robinson Crusoe On Mars (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £10.99 Buy Now

The Skull (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £7.99 Buy Now

Stigmata (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99 Buy Now

Eureka TV:

Maid Marian And Her Merry Men: The Complete Series (BBC TV) (DVD) £25.99 Buy Now

No Second Chance (DVD) £10.99 Buy Now

Wolf Creek (The Complete First Series) Blu-ray £9.99 Buy Now

Wolf Creek (The Complete First Series) (DVD) £9.99 Buy Now

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I bought my first Ozu the other day. Late Spring. Hoping to watch it this weekend. :)

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I have to admit that it was only after listening to Ebert's commentary on Floating Weeds that I began to truly appreciate Ozu's style.

Good Morning, Weeds and then Tokyo Story were my first ones I think...

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
Cherbourg and Rochefort are basically tonal opposites. Cherbourg's final scene is its best though, so even if you don't enjoy it overall it's worth finishing. I prefer Rochefort myself though.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the news of missing NOTLD footage being found might pan out after all.

They might as well automatically withdraw the funds from my account. NOTLD and SOTL are bought.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just found this thread. Glad to see this community made it over here. Also, that banner is wonderful. Just rewatched High and Low this weekend, and it's even better than I remember it being. That closing scene is one hell of a high note to end things on.

Still waiting on Ran.

You might be waiting awhile. If iirc StudioCanal has the rights to that unless Criterion reacquired them recently. I have that Blu-ray release and it's pretty disappointing. Kagemusha looks worlds better.

I'm waiting on Stray Dog, Drunken Angel, and Red Beard myself. Though I still need to pick Ikiru and Dreams up. I stopped by B&N over the weekend and got Othello for myself and Fire Walk With Me and The Philadelphia Story as gifts. I really hope Criterion does The Magnificent Ambersons one day. I can't wait to watch this new Othello transfer.

February looks like a beautiful month. I want pretty much everything, but I need that Elevator to the Gallows Blu-ray most of all. Glad I didn't buy that on DVD like I thought about doing the past few sales.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
omgkitty said early in the thread that there have been rumors of Criterion and SudioCanal getting back in bed together. Let's hope so.

That would be wonderful. I'd be more than happy to buy Ran again because I know Criterion would do it justice.

A Criterion Ambersons will happen. Hopefully the package will be amazing when it eventually gets announced. Their laserdisc edition was great way back when.

I sure hope so. The way that movie has been treated as a "special feature" on the Citizen Kane Collector's Edition makes me sick. It deserves a full blown release with lots of extras.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
That would be wonderful. I'd be more than happy to buy Ran again because I know Criterion would do it justice.
Studiocanal fixed their release a while back the new restoration is great, but Lionsgate who holds the rights in the US won't release it there.

And I'm not sure how much weight that rumour holds, Lionsgate has recently expanded their *theatrical* distribution deal with SC and there has been rumours about Criterion getting back with them before. This isn't a definite debunk of the rumour, I'm just saying that I haven't seen enough to suggest that it is happening yet.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are some must watch films on Filmstruck? I've seen plenty of Kurosawa's productions already. There's a ton of films on the service and I have no idea where to start.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Picked up My Darling Clementine last night. I'm good for this sale.
What are some must watch films on Filmstruck? I've seen plenty of Kurosawa's productions already. There's a ton of films on the service and I have no idea where to start.
I'm not sure what Criterions are on there, but going off the ones I know? Rashomon, The Young Girls of Rochefort, any Wes Anderson film, Charade, any film by Jim Jarmusch, Harakiri, House, and The Killing. That should be a good start.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Le Samourai and Barry Lyndon. What a great month (or two, I think Barry was October) for Criterion. And they both have actual booklets! Not sure if their return is old news, but hopefully this means no more crappy posters.

Just a few random choices quickly scrolling through the choices: A Touch of Zen, Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love, The Leopard, Withnail and I, Stalker, Le Samourai, L'avventura

Super random list, there's so many great ones on here it's crazy. Didn't realize their Criterion library was this big.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
The Eureka lineup leaked:

House [Hausu] (Masters of Cinema) - Blu-ray Edition - February 12th
Carl Theodor Dreyer's Michael (Masters of Cinema) - Blu-ray Edition - February 12th
The Barefoot Contessa (Masters of Cinema) - Dual Format Edition - March 12th
Legend of the Mountain (Masters of Cinema) - Dual Format Edition - March 19th

That's a slate.

Oct 28, 2017
Tonight, I plan on finally watching Renoir's The Rules of the Game. Here's to hoping it's as good as everyone claims it to be.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Indicator February lineup:
mywwcJM.png

3boZwPO.png

That's a pretty nifty Hammer boxset, I'm glad they just don't go all out on Horror (then again a lot of Hammer horror is tied up with other rightsholders)