• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh I love the book jacket for Princess Bride. I mean I doubt I'll buy it anyway but still. that's pretty.

How do spine numbers work exactly? I saw that Princess Bride was released by Criterion on laserdisc at one point. When something like Rublev gets updated it keeps its original number, but this has a new number. Is it just because spine numbers started with DVDs?

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
How do spine numbers work exactly? I saw that Princess Bride was released by Criterion on laserdisc at one point. When something like Rublev gets updated it keeps its original number, but this has a new number. Is it just because spine numbers started with DVDs?
Their LDs had numbering too, sometimes even two depending on the format of the release (CAV vs CLV). They've just re-started the numbering with each new format, I assume. You can't guarantee the same titles will be available with each format, so number them as they release.
Uninspiring month, except for the Bergman.
These are the October releases. Bergman is November, yes?.

OP
OP
omgkitty

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
Ooh I love the book jacket for Princess Bride. I mean I doubt I'll buy it anyway but still. that's pretty.

The laserdiscs had their own numbering system, but when they went to DVD, they started over. Once they went to blu-ray, those spine numbers have continued on, bringing over the same numbers.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Their LDs had numbering too, sometimes even two depending on the format of the release (CAV vs CLV). They've just re-started the numbering with each new format, I assume. You can't guarantee the same titles will be available with each format, so number them as they release.

These are the October releases. Bergman is November, yes?.

The laserdiscs had their own numbering system, but when they went to DVD, they started over. Once they went to blu-ray, those spine numbers have continued on, bringing over the same numbers.
I see, makes sense. Thanks

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't have Princess Bride, so I'll probably pick this up sometime down the road. Still gonna be saving up for that Bergman set for this year.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I watched Parajanov's Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors yesterday for the first time. What a unique film! I had expected something quite a bit more "static", like the same director's later The Color of Pomegranates. Instead, I got a deliriously-operatic, iridescent, whirligig of a movie, with startlingly-kinetic camerawork and evocative music.

My only criticism--other than some inexplicable lapses into black-and-white--is that it is perhaps a little too bravura for its own good. I would have traded some of the pyrotechnics for a little more emotional investment in the larger-than-life characters. (Although the shoddy print I watched may have had something to do with the distant impression.)

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
djhhf3oxoaad9r5uwfak.png

The only one I care about is 12 Monkeys, that one has been overdue a restoration for a while; also Arrow has their summer sale on:

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Would love it if Eureka released Chinese Ghost Story. The HK blu-ray has barely coherent subtitles. They supposedly picked up a bunch of HK titles, so keep them coming.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It says Magnificent Ambersons got all kinds of chopped and screwed. Is it still worth watching?

No more chopped and screwed than other Welles films, TBH, something that just trails most of his work and you just have to accept. I think the only movies he did that wasn't redone or recut or edited or interfered with during production or had footage lost was The Trial and F for Fake. I'd throw Chimes at Midnight in that category of "complete" as well despite him having to make ends meet towards the end of shooting.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
No more chopped and screwed than other Welles films, TBH, something that just trails most of his work and you just have to accept. I think the only movies he did that wasn't redone or recut or edited or interfered with during production or had footage lost was The Trial and F for Fake. I'd throw Chimes at Midnight in that category of "complete" as well despite him having to make ends meet towards the end of shooting.
I wonder if F for Fake would get Criterioned, that clip of it that was on Every Frame A Painting makes it look fascinating.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I think those are all on FilmStruck but I know there have been rumors of a boxset since they acquired the rights to all the Shōwa era stuff. I would throw down for that in a second.

What I really want, though, is a release of Ebirah, Horror of the Deep/Godzilla versus the Sea Monster. Had a copy of that on VHS and my brother and I watched it dozens of times when we were kids.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
I think those are all on FilmStruck but I know there have been rumors of a boxset since they acquired the rights to all the Shōwa era stuff. I would throw down for that in a second.

What I really want, though, is a release of Ebirah, Horror of the Deep/Godzilla versus the Sea Monster. Had a copy of that on VHS and my brother and I watched it dozens of times when we were kids.

Look on Amazon. I just bought everything through Final Wars there, minus the stuff I had watched on Filmstruck.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017

Ebirah is out on Blu-ray, it was one of the titles that Kraken put out a couple or so years ago. It's still available, you can find it for under $10, and it has both versions of the film.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Look on Amazon. I just bought everything through Final Wars there, minus the stuff I had watched on Filmstruck.

Ebirah is out on Blu-ray, it was one of the titles that Kraken put out a couple or so years ago. It's still available, you can find it for under $10, and it has both versions of the film.
Thanks, guys. Did just that and I am super excited to watch this again! Still want a fancy Criterion edition, though. Give me a thoughtful essay about crab monsters!

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still amazes me how there's always a sale thread and there's always people A) shocked how this is a "sale" when it's still pricey and/or B) Have never heard of Criterion (much less most of the movies or what it is). I guess we're in a movie-nerd bubble but I figured people would have at least stumbled across something Criterion the past 35 years. Some people have never known a world without Criterion. Those were the dark times....

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Still amazes me how there's always a sale thread and there's always people A) shocked how this is a "sale" when it's still pricey and/or B) Have never heard of Criterion (much less most of the movies or what it is). I guess we're in a movie-nerd bubble but I figured people would have at least stumbled across something Criterion the past 35 years. Some people have never known a world without Criterion. Those were the dark times....

I had to explain Criterions on GAF multiple times. This is very much a bubble. Most people go their lives unconcerned with even the most well known typical Criterion movies.

Last edited:

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to explain Criterions on GAF multiple times. This is very much a bubble. Most people go their lives unconcerned with even the most well known typically Criterion movies.

You mean to tell me people don't care about owning On the Waterfront in 1:33:1, 1:66:1, AND 1:85:1...all in the one pristine package? S-say it isn't so!

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
It's no Koker Trilogy but they did announce the excellent 24 Frames for January. Maybe it'll be a big year of Kiarostami?

I just finally got Close-Up myself in the flash sale. Along with the new Tree of Life, Sullivan's Travels, and Varda in California. Would've gotten Before Trilogy but it doesn't look to be 50% off. Next B&N sale then.

Oct 27, 2017
It's no Koker Trilogy but they did announce the excellent 24 Frames for January. Maybe it'll be a big year of Kiarostami?

I just finally got Close-Up myself in the flash sale. Along with the new Tree of Life, Sullivan's Travels, and Varda in California. Would've gotten Before Trilogy but it doesn't look to be 50% off. Next B&N sale then.
Varda in California is special. Mur Murs and Documenteur are both ace.

OP
OP
omgkitty

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville

Won't surprise me if they pull a Bergman and release a Kiarostami box next year with a lot of his films after releasing some other titles like 24 Frames. The box has been rumored, but I don't remember if the quote was that Criterion would be releasing a lot of his titles, or if it was specifically said it was a box set.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Varda in California is special. Mur Murs and Documenteur are both ace.
I'm psyched, they're close to the only works of hers I haven't seen. And having spent a few years in LA I think I'll find them rewarding.
Won't surprise me if they pull a Bergman and release a Kiarostami box next year with a lot of his films after releasing some other titles like 24 Frames. The box has been rumored, but I don't remember if the quote was that Criterion would be releasing a lot of his titles, or if it was specifically said it was a box set.
Awesome if true. So much of his pre-Close Up work is spotty to find. I'd buy a collection with Koker plus Homework, The Report, Where Is the Friend's Home? and a bunch of shorts in half a heartbeat.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC

Goddamn that would fucking rip. Please god

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This is idiotic. Other than being a pretty great service it was also the only real alternative to piracy for many of us around the world who used it through VPN either because the Criterion blu-rays don't work in our regions or because they're too expensive to import. Or both.