• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of my criterion purchase decisions was based on whether or not the movie was streaming.'

Now nothing is streaming. :(

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Fuck everything indeed. About ~90% of the programming I enjoy watching is streamed from FilmStruck. This news just made a whole lot of film fans culturally-poorer. Thanks AT&T

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Sad as heck about FilmStruck.

have a couple hundred stashed aside for the next BN sale, I'm getting the Bergman set, and I've got a good couple dozen blu-rays I haven't watched yet, but it still burns.

Anyone made a list of out of print films currently on FilmStruck? Gonna watch as many as I can before it goes away.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Sad as heck about FilmStruck.

have a couple hundred stashed aside for the next BN sale, I'm getting the Bergman set, and I've got a good couple dozen blu-rays I haven't watched yet, but it still burns.

Anyone made a list of out of print films currently on FilmStruck? Gonna watch as many as I can before it goes away.
I don't think any OOPs were there, could be wrong though.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Barnes & Noble 50% off sale starts 11/2 - 12/3

Thinking of doing a few of these:
-400 Blows
-Jacques Tati
-Some Like It Hot
-Midnight Cowboy (blind buy)
-Barry Lyndon (blind buy)
-Modern Times

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got a region free player and holy hell my wallet is screwed. I've been purposefully ignoring companies like Eureka to try and avoid the temptation, but the floodgates are open now. So many great titles we haven't gotten in the states.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Patiently waiting for November 20th so I can grab that Bergman set at 50% + 10% off in store.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
How much did you pay for that? I always wanted to get one for the exact opposite reason, I can play Eureka, BFI and Curzon releases and they're great but there's a lot missing that's available in the US, mostly Criterion stuff.
$140. Got it from here: https://www.bombayelectronics.com/p...ulti-region-code-free-dvd-blu-ray-disc-player

Super barebones, I just wanted basic blu-ray playback, but I've seen it mentioned positively on the blu-ray.com forums and someone I know has it and says they've had no issues with it.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Honest question: which movies would you want it for?

I have a handful of Region 1 Blu-rays. The US release of "The VVitch", for instance, features an audio commentary by director Robert Eggers. None of the Region 2 versions have that, as far as I know.
Other than that, mostly for Shout! Factory releases.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
$140. Got it from here: https://www.bombayelectronics.com/p...ulti-region-code-free-dvd-blu-ray-disc-player

Super barebones, I just wanted basic blu-ray playback, but I've seen it mentioned positively on the blu-ray.com forums and someone I know has it and says they've had no issues with it.
Just to update: I got this in the mail yesterday and it's fantastic. Works exactly as advertised for all three regions, comes with the remote and everything you need. I love it.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin Alexanderplatz is great news for me, I would go for a Fassbinder's Cinema set if they made one.

If (ok, when) I get a region free blu-ray player, Chinese Roulette will be in the first batch of region B I pick up.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin Alexanderplatz is a 15 hour miniseries adaptation of one of the "greatest works of German literature" directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, who was a madman (both good and bad) who directed 44 films before dying at 37!

I haven't seen it yet, but I recommend checking out Ali: Fear Eats The Soul, World on a Wire (his only sci-fi film) or Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant as a starting place for Fassbinder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Alexanderplatz_(miniseries)

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
So, I've been thinking about how to phrase this without coming across as too hypberbolic but here goes:

To Sleep with Anger is probably the most significant release Criterion has put out on blu-ray. And if you don't buy it you're a terrible human being.

This is a weird way to spell Bo Widerberg.
Cool, but if The Wind doesn't get a Blu release within the next year I'll riot.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is ridiculous.

7zaM1Jl.jpg

Last edited:

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Me and two or three other film nerds were all hitting the B&N here this morning to grab that Bergman set. Saw that they'd gotten at least ten in, so they must be expecting it to sell pretty well.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Sure am glad I preordered that Bergman set just for it to go out of stock before mine even ships.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
It's a shame this thread is hardly ever active, except to react to the latest Criterion releases. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to write about all the great art film discoveries/rediscoveries I enjoy on a regular basis. (No fun expending the energy to write for a dead thread.) Oh well...

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame this thread is hardly ever active, except to react to the latest Criterion releases. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to write about all the great art film discoveries/rediscoveries I enjoy on a regular basis. (No fun expending the energy to write for a dead thread.) Oh well...

These threads haven't been much more than a hub for release updates, sales, and discussion about who licenses what in which region. You'd be better served taking your thoughts to the general movie thread tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Come on over to the movie thread! We talk about classic stuff all the time.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the movie thread is kind of where its at now and a lot of users here are there. I do appreciate the new announced releases, especially from stuff like Shout, but maybe it's better to use the Movie thread for that.

OP
OP
omgkitty

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
Yeah, the movie thread is kind of where its at now and a lot of users here are there. I do appreciate the new announced releases, especially from stuff like Shout, but maybe it's better to use the Movie thread for that.

This thread has always been about physical releases for the most part, even from the old site. Honestly, I'm just too lazy to post when new things are announced, so this is basically all Berzeli's fault that no one uses this thread. He's too busy talking about TV and weekend box offices.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
this is basically all Berzeli's fault that no one uses this thread. He's too busy talking about TV and weekend box offices.
Shilling in EtcetEra proper pays the big bucks compared to hangouts! (also, I'm not sure if there were enough region B folk in here for me to continually try and prop up that side of things)

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I should start posting in the Movies thread. Ever since I got the region free player I've been watching stuff constantly. Eureka and Arrow alone are a treasure trove of interesting releases.

One I'm going to watch tonight in the spirit of my ongoing Red Dead 2 playthrough:

New 4K restoration for the first Django is pretty hype. My only prior experience with the movie was a crappy quality YouTube video of it lol