• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit Swoon you gettin in on that Detour? Special features include a theatrical trailer :o

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Likely to be an upcoming Criterion release:

Of course, go see it on the big screen, if you can. The most epic of all epic films.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I really only lurk here and don't often but premier releases anymore, but just wanted to say God bless Criterion for releasing the only good version of True Stories since the theatrical release. I've lived with the lousy DVD (and VHS before that) and now have finally seen it looking good again.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
ZZhaAEFtm1xq4WviRtHB2frQqHK3kp.png

nnex

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, is Diamonds of the Night finally getting an R1 release? Such a beautiful film.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Swing Time, clock face could also indicate 9 to 5 or 9 1/2 weeks?
Euro-Pa, Euro-Pa
One Sings and the Other Doesn't
Heiress? (Air-S)
War & Peace (Warren/Peas)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch worm

that's a bamboo sled not a candy cane one, so it's gotta be Bamboozled, but I wouldn't be shocked if Citizen Kane was spine #1000.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it just occurred to me that none of Roy Andersson's Living Trilogy is available on Blu-Ray in the US.

Those three are screaming for a Criterion release if you ask me.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm greedy cuz I really want police story 3 starring Michelle Yeoh. The current blu Ray is just awful. But of course these two are day one

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Already have the excellent Eureka set of Police Story 1 and 2, but great it's getting a region A release.

May still double dip if the extras are good enough (also the colors are kinda wonky on the Eureka set).

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
does 1 and 2 have Michelle Yeoh launching a motorcycle off a ramp onto a moving train

no. No, they don't, fancy clown.

Okay...okay...that stunt is dope, I'll give you that....but all the fights are shot way tighter than 1 and 2 and have a lot more cutting in them, in addition to generally just being less dynamic. Why ya gonna do Jackie like that? What's the point? Let the man work.

This two second gif from 2 is better than any fight from 3
tumblr_oyxc5gCrrL1r6ja9oo1_400.gif

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Jackie Chan...

I'm loving all these Jackie releases. Who woulda thought we'd get a pristine remaster of goddamn City Hunter on blu-ray lmao. Really Hong Kong cinema in general is getting some nice attention recently. The new Once Upon a Time in China box set from Eureka is fantastic as well.

I'd love to see a competent label have a go at John Woo's pre-Hollywood stuff next. A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, Hard Boiled, The Killer, etc. Lots of potential there.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Speaking of Jackie Chan...

I'm loving all these Jackie releases. Who woulda thought we'd get a pristine remaster of goddamn City Hunter on blu-ray lmao. Really Hong Kong cinema in general is getting some nice attention recently. The new Once Upon a Time in China box set from Eureka is fantastic as well.

I'd love to see a competent label have a go at John Woo's pre-Hollywood stuff next. A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, Hard Boiled, The Killer, etc. Lots of potential there.

Criterion did Hard Boiled and The Killer, they don't look bad at all. DVDs, but hey.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
A Face in the Crowd and Diamonds of the Night are locks for me. I hope War and Peace and Come and See follow next month or so. 👍

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those interested in something from a more disturbing place of film, I found Tetsuo: The Iron Man to be wrenching in a way that has stuck with me since I watched it in the late nineties. Shinya Tsukamoto's catalog is a pretty hard to find in the US though, so watching it could be really difficult.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty good but the two other ones are bad. So very very bad.
For region B / region free, this Iron Man and Tetsuo II combo release has excellent picture quality: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tetsuo-Iro...id=1547758283&sr=8-2&keywords=tetsuo+iron+man

I watched the first a while back and I liked it, but yeah, incredibly fucked up. Haven't gotten around to Tetsuo II.

I never got to watch the second one, but even back then it seemed like it wasn't well received. Bullet Ballet was grim too, but I prefer the mania of Tetsuo. Some of his other work looks interesting, and I hope to be able to watch it some day.

What is a good Region Free BRD player you recommend Fjordson ?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I never got to watch the second one, but even back then it seemed like it wasn't well received. Bullet Ballet was grim too, but I prefer the mania of Tetsuo. Some of his other work looks interesting, and I hope to be able to watch it some day.

What is a good Region Free BRD player you recommend Fjordson ?
Shit, I'm like weeks late to this, meant to respond back when you posted this lol my bad.

I'm always a little nervous recommending this sort of thing to people just because there's a lot of weird little problems that can pop up with these region free players (at least from what I see on the blu-ray.com forums lol) so I can only speak to my experience. But this player has been perfect for me since November:

https://www.bombayelectronics.com/p...ulti-region-code-free-dvd-blu-ray-disc-player

The base player is $99 and the region-free option is another $40, so $139 altogether. I was just looking for simple blu-ray playback, so it's barebones, but I've watched a bunch of non-region A discs without a hitch. I love it.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
nice, set up my criterion channel account today.

I hope the charter subscription/trial works the way they said where the 30 day trial doesn't start until April 8 when the channel officially launches. because this is how the sub shows for me on my account:
MiL3bDwERd35BH4ZHQhT4KWYDCtXNGgjP5_sEWxViU56M7T-c1L9d1uwD9hrnt8uF9rPf6F1OwP2kAlvZWIpA_skLyKNtMOR_EoxNd_3f7h4o8FZG_fNOwODomv6zZf6pMFQ01JMobiOUAYCpHuyRzn1tw8pXma2qMojdzKXE2KtiyPm2A7T4Z5LrjcTpGRUp4YKAZLlY6S2lA9jCoJ1ezfWY8t3GKwgYYxIp2lDRf0qK1Jn0UxTrnYWZQPULgffpu19gGFqoy7fr60J9IsLv6npkt0cxNR7PatqhDfblEzBGImVYhObhEnM7zqZKI9YGNU8fOj62w3CskBNvrPmjM58dgk3tkYcXkdI9rX_W6SbgGFkwAlDJ-HjEybWx_8Mlk1zf1nGekZec_2RiVS83DLd7ERhQ_kxH_eS53QvDsEOpGfkBmAm3_0ExKY67J9Z1ZHHXba-hq4suJgGlNX2NdYmwgMvGXGWauZvOBckdAj7p_fhpv7LxATgwQExD-VmseE7u-EXRNtuqHtvx4SJWvwz3k_jCR82215OU2Q254fmQYduWt9NuJ3YTIxy_-7hhSPbjez4EvkiLOZgAJDPRwX9_UjYYU3Isy3itiJQOWyoi24Ducd58fEtz2SWd0lLq8usb9OT9xLsVl0ibLRwHlU_vX5nUO0=w543-h290-no

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, I'm like weeks late to this, meant to respond back when you posted this lol my bad.

I'm always a little nervous recommending this sort of thing to people just because there's a lot of weird little problems that can pop up with these region free players (at least from what I see on the blu-ray.com forums lol) so I can only speak to my experience. But this player has been perfect for me since November:

https://www.bombayelectronics.com/p...ulti-region-code-free-dvd-blu-ray-disc-player

The base player is $99 and the region-free option is another $40, so $139 altogether. I was just looking for simple blu-ray playback, so it's barebones, but I've watched a bunch of non-region A discs without a hitch. I love it.

Awesome thank you so much for the breakdown. I'll be ordering this one or possibly one of the UHD versions of off this site.

FILM LINC is showing the new restoration in February. Here is a trailer:

Bizarre question incoming... how much of the source or the history does someone have to be aware of to watch this film and be able to comprehend it?

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Bizarre question incoming... how much of the source or the history does someone have to be aware of to watch this film and be able to comprehend it?
Well, you're not going to experience anything like the full richness of Tolstoy without actually reading Tolstoy. That said, you probably need no more than a basic schoolbook-level familiarity with the political atmosphere of the times to be able to follow along.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thank you so much for the breakdown. I'll be ordering this one or possibly one of the UHD versions of off this site.

Yeah, I honestly have zero complaints. Even the remote it comes with is pretty decent.

I should mention about UHD discs (though you might already know this) that those are always region free, so if you already have a 4K player you're good to go.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I honestly have zero complaints. Even the remote it comes with is pretty decent.

I should mention about UHD discs (though you might already know this) that those are always region free, so if you already have a 4K player you're good to go.

Right yes. I'd known about the uhd thing. Just wanted a one stop shop for BRDs as well. Appreciate the heads up.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

I thought 4k players are only region free for 4k discs, which are always regionless, but the blu-ray and dvd features are still region locked.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 4k players are only region free for 4k discs, which are always regionless, but the blu-ray and dvd features are still region locked.
That's right, sorry I worded it badly. Just meant that one didn't need to get a special player for 4K discs specifically since they're all region-free.