• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
large_high_and_low_blu-ray_7x_2.jpg

Under Construction

OP
OP
omgkitty

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
This thread is primarily aimed at the home media crowd for arthouse films, labels like Criterion, Arrow, Kino, Masters of Cinema, Indicator etc etc etc, but can also be a place to discuss the kinds of films these labels carry.

KidInsomnia

Oct 25, 2017
We made it, family.

That inside cover of the Criterion FWWM actually scared the fuck out of me when I opened it

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen no Ozu. I've seen... many Kurosawa.

Clearly, I have some catching up to do.
But I still love me some A.K. and y'all can't take that away from me.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn I missed this on my first community thread sweep.

We back boyz. And with a better thread title!

Last edited:

BaronLundi

Oct 25, 2017
Paris
Good to see you again fam. My last post in gaf was in the criterion thread.

Anyone managed to drag Berzeli over here or he's he one of those people who changed their username?

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
edit: lol, almost forgot, Criterion is working on a centenary something and I don't know anyone but Bergman who has the profile and the years to match. Basically, prepare your wallets.
Anyone managed to drag Berzeli over here or he's he one of those people who changed their username?
Why would I change perfection?

And it's not my fault omgkitty was lazy and slow when it came to making this thread so that I managed to go to bed before the thread got up.

Last edited:

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
During The Diaspora i got my copy of the Metropolis 90th anniversary edition in. That is a super nice package. Looking forward to watching this behemoth.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Criterion GA...I mean ERA!

My boss was throwing out some Blu-Rays for some reason and he said "do you want any of these." Saw the KINO Blu of Complete Metropolis and demanded he check with me first before throwing or donating anything. I have six new movies now but that one stood out.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Upcoming BFI releases (aka RIP wallet now and forever):

From 4K restorations:
zPrZTrg.jpg

HbzgT7Q.jpg

And a depressing(ly relevant) film:
nHB9xSc.jpg

Some newer fare:
JHxUWjK.jpg

Some older fare:
GQRa9oz.jpg

An terrific boxset from one of the most interesting directors:
x3RTjPh.jpg
And pinging omgkitty:
ULLag8H.jpg

Holy shit this is a slate. La Belle et La Bête, Jarman, and When the Wind Blows? Well, and truly holy shit.
And I guess some mediocre work by some Swedish hack as well.

Last edited:

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. I'll follow this. My girlfriend and I have been working our way through the AFI top 100 movies list and I definitely want to become more well versed in the medium.

Not that I'll stop watching jcvd movies or anything ridiculous

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Eurkea announcements for January (hosted by imgur so that omgkitty can't partake):
vIdVxYr.jpg

gUph2WH.jpg

FNglbZ4.jpg

lGSQeTc.jpg

Glad to see The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes make an appearance

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
So this is still not available for rent through streaming. my options are pay 14 for the digital version or 18 dollars for the physical. Guess I found my first pickup for next month

MV5BMjIyOTY0MjcxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODgxMTE5OTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
Ozu stans only. Anybody who believes Kurosawa is better will be banned.

Ozu stan reporting for duty! So how do you all feel about Koreeda? He's certainly the contemporary director who is most often compared to Ozu. Personally I found Still Walking to be brilliant and Our Little Sister and After Life were quite enjoyable as well. Haven't seen his other films such as Nobody Knows.

Which film is the banner from? The Bad Sleep Well? High and Low?

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
High and Low had one of the GOAT Mifune performances.

For the record, I love Ozu just throwing that out there.

BlockLogo

Oct 26, 2017
Question: I have a ton of criterion BluRays and DVDs, as well as some other labels like BFI and Eureka Masters of Cinema. I don't have time to watch them anymore. Moved on to other hobbies and have a kid and 3 jobs.

Is there a good way to sell them? Don't really wanna go eBay. Anyone know of a more dedicated marketplace, if there even is a market for used, once or twice watched criterion. Not looking to make a huge profit or anything, mostly just wanna get them out of my house to someone who will actually enjoy them...

Last edited:

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Question: I have a ton of criterion BluRays and DVDs, as well as some other labels like BFI and Eureka Masters of Cinema. I don't have time to watch them anymore. Moved on to other hobbies and have a kid and 3 jobs.

Is there a good way to sell them? Don't really wanna go eBay. Anyone know of a more dedicated marketplace, if there even is a market for used, once or twice watched criterion. Not looking to make a huge profit or anything, mostly just wanna get them out of my house to someone who will actually enjoy them...

Is there a BST thread here yet? There may be some interest from people in this thread. Blu-ray.com has a good system set up as well.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
It kills me that Matchbox films in the UK snapped up the rights to release Philippe Grandrieux's Despite the Night and then decides to only release it on DVD. Hopeless. It's not out on VOD either.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering where Mariachi507 saw that Cat o Nine Tails release, and then it occured to me that I missed Arrow's announcements for January. Woooops.
dnjvaymx4aeocaurbsik.jpg

Luckily it mostly consisted of less fancy re-releases of limited editions.

ManniUncanny

Oct 27, 2017
Over the years Barry Lyndon has become my favourite Kubrick. And having on a Criterion BD to watch today is definitely something special.

Does this thread cover anything Third Window Films releases too? Outside of maybe Tsukomoto, its all mostly commercial film.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't really like anise flavor, how much does a bottle of Kurosawa cost?
LOL

Doing a Ozu marathon in November. I keep saying I am going to do it but this thread convinced me.
Wow. Filmstruck has a lot of Ozu. I may have to finally give in and subscribe, especially with that student discount. How's the streaming quality?

The next Barnes & Noble Criterion sale should be in November.
Why do you all have to do dis