• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Thrilled by Andrei Rublev. Although that cover is horrible. Something less amateur's paste-up please, Criterion.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
DgTRqdtX0AAC4Ae.png

New Arrow releases.

Well it sucks to live in Region A land for more reasons than the obvious one. No Heathers for you
giphy.gif

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I am excited about the Heathers and them remastering it is the reason I am holding off on watching it on Hulu. I need to see if it will get an American release.

So we are getting Mirror then?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already knew what I wanted for the sale done and done. Debated on pulling the trigger on the Tati set but decided against it.

Picked up:

Pan's Labyrinth (long overdue)
Dead Man (favorite Jarmuch movie)
Midnight Cowboy (one of my gf's favs)
The Awful Truth (anything Cary Grant I love)

And threw in the Marlon Bundo book with the 10% coupon.

So not a huge haul, but I really stocked up last year so wanted to be a little more frugal.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Thank you Filmstruck. I am only picking up a select few like Ghostworld. Filmstruck gave me a 10 dollar gift card as well so I am going to wait for a flash sale from them to use that as well.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Whoa, I just discovered FilmStruck. I can't believe I have never heard of it. In the early 00s I had a phase, coinciding with the rise of DVD as a format, of getting into art house films. Artificial Eye stuff, Solaris, all Kurosawa, Spike Lee Joints, that sort of a thing. I kind of lost track of all that with the rise of iTunes, their indie and foreign categories are too cluttered with equal proportions of hit and miss stuff.

So when I saw the Criterion sale thread come up, something clicked in my brain, maybe a Kurosawa memory, and I thought - "I wonder if Criterion will ever do a streaming service". That's how I found FilmStruck, which seems to be exactly that.

What a treasure trove, literally everything I can click will be great. To get started, I picked randomly something I wasn't familiar with that looked interesting - Topopo. Amazing, beautiful, funny film.

I think I'll watch two or three more films today. Maybe Berberian Sound Studio and The Mirror. It's like a new world just opened to me for £6 a month. Today's binge would have set me back some £60 in early 00s.

4075b93a-ac6b-44a3-84tsje.jpeg

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
So the the Il Cinema Ritrovato festival is wrapping up, so here some of the stuff that was there:
  • Some restored mainstream fare like a new 4K restoration of Ridley Scott's Alien
  • A new restoration of the worst Bergman film (or rather the one he hated the most, which also was a resounding failure and has barely been seen), Sånt Händer Inte Här, what better way to celebrate the centenary omgkitty
  • Newly restored Ozu, Sôshun (Early Spring, not to be confused with Late Spring, or Early Summer... basically what I'm saying is that the English titles for Ozu are bad)
  • More 4Keaton (sorrynotsorry, also I'm not sure if it will end up in 4K) with Go West
And just a whole bunch more that is too much to summarise, but there is some good stuff that is likely coming up.

Also since we're talking about sales being on, let's not forget the big one:

Eureka's June 2018 Sale

Ok, so there isn't a whole lot there, but Seconds for £6.99, and the Early Murnau set for £24.99 are pretty good deals.

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
dhwt7b6vmaah_rnqqloj.jpg

Pretty nice lineup, and it's so amusing to see James Woods in Salvador considering his political sympathies these days.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
City Hunter, huh? I bought the HK blu-ray a few months ago, but I'd get it again depending on the extras.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Whew whew whew

It's felt like years in the making and even though I'll end up having a few duplicates, I'm definitely picking that set up. 50% sale get, for sure.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
7wT4bPXK8EBW1qJ5q9Mk9TRwXuDYk2_original.jpg

This is my shocked face that Criterion did this boxset. Glad to see that they sprung for upgrading The Seventh Seal to the new 4K resto. So if you love Bergman, you better hope you have $239 Criterion is asking for this
Now, that's what I call a boxset!

Although Face to Face seems a strange omission...

Yep I am purchasing that set. there are some films that are not on filmstruck.
You and your ongoing journey through Bergman's filmography immediately came to my mind upon hearing this news. Looking forward to your next reviews!

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
dh_zs4zwkaa7gaveduou.png

Arrow Academy titles, Distant Voices, Still Lives should be a BFI release in region B so no worries there, and nice to see more Assayas from Arrow.

Oct 25, 2017
"Offer me money."

"Yes."

"Power, too, promise me that, too."

"All that I have and more. Please."

"Offer me everything I ask for."

"Anything you want."

"I want my Princess Bride Criterion, you son of a bitch."

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Down for all of those with the exception of Shampoo. Illustration on The Princess Bride isn't great but the packaging is neat.