• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

At this point Fairfax has multiple sexual assault allegations against him and refuses to budge, so the state is clearly at an impasse and it seems the issues has gone on long enough.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I completely understand that Fairfax has to go and this might be the only way.

But it's really dark that the Governor and the AG did blackface and the only guy getting the boot is the black guy.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
What happens to that spot? Does the current gov replace that post, or does everyone in the chain move up one?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happens to that spot? Does the current gov replace that post, or does everyone in the chain move up one?
The Governor appoints the replacement. Fairfax has to resign first here, for very obvious reasons. Northam being dumb about resigning accidentally saved us from a bigger problem.

Oct 29, 2017
Wait wtf, why is Fairfax getting the boot and Northam gets jack shit? (not that Fairfax should stay because he really shouldn't)

OP
OP
studyguy

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
If you're keeping count of VA mess: We have the Gov and AG in blackface, the Lt. Gov accused of sexual assault, Senate leader found out to be the yearbook editor in a yearbook filled with wildly racist shit and an officer identified as having a tattoo of a white nationalist group. So fun times for everyone.

Also this was basically a fucking week's worth of controversy.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait wtf, why is Fairfax getting the boot and Northam gets jack shit? (not that Fairfax should stay because he really shouldn't)
2 rape accusations + rumors of 3 more in the pipeline in the process of coming forward is ten billion times worse than Notham's stuff. Northam also cannot resign right now because it would make Fairfax Governor- Fairfax has to be removed first no matter what else happens.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it seem like there are people in this thread implying that rape isn't worse than blackface?

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
If you're keeping count of VA mess: We have the Gov and AG in blackface, the Lt. Gov accused of sexual assault, Senate leader found out to be the yearbook editor in a yearbook filled with wildly racist shit and an officer identified as having a tattoo of a white nationalist group. So fun times for everyone.

Jesus Christ, virginia just basically told Florida to "hold my beer" then proceeded to defecate in it while said beer was being held

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
They all need to be canned, but could Northam appoint someone new, resign, and then his newly appointed lieutenant governor take his place?

OP
OP
studyguy

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ, virginia just basically told Florida to "hold my beer" then proceeded to defecate in it while said beer was being held
Florida had a state congresswoman resign who apparently had a history of licking men's faces... so there's that?
Honestly though, yeah VA a fucking dumpster fire.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
The Governor appoints the replacement. Fairfax has to resign first here, for very obvious reasons. Northam being dumb about resigning accidentally saved us from a bigger problem.

Either that, or we can have a standard that when a disgraced democrat resigns, we at least allow them to configure a state of affairs in such a way that republicans gain neither power nor political capital, prior to their resignation. I feel like "resign or don't" is the kind of simple binary that prevents us from seeing solutions even better. If we demand a resignation from a democrat, we can absolutely allow that resignation to be facilitated by pre-resignation political actions that prevent a worse state of affairs from occurring.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

But it's really dark that the Governor and the AG did blackface and the only guy getting the boot is the black guy.
As shitty as being a racist is, it's not forcing a woman to perform oral sex on you.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either that, or we can have a standard that when a disgraced democrat resigns, we at least allow them to configure a state of affairs in such a way that republicans gain neither power nor political capital, prior to their resignation. I feel like "resign or don't" is the kind of simple binary that prevents us from seeing solutions even better. If we demand a resignation from a democrat, we can absolutely allow that resignation to be facilitated by pre-resignation political actions that prevent a worse state of affairs from occurring.
This is happening with the A.G. No one inside the party is calling for a resignation because the circumstances are different, both ethically and because it'd put a Republican in the A.G. position.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Blackface is obviously disgusting, but let's not put that anywhere near the level of guy that's increasingly looking like a serial rapist.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Please do not invoke comparisons to other inexcusable behavior in this thread. This is not respectful to the victims.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
This is happening with the A.G. No one inside the party is calling for a resignation because the circumstances are different, both ethically and because it'd put a Republican in the A.G. position.
There's also the fact that, at least based on materials disclosed so far, the AG's blackface incident contained mitigating factors that Northam's didn't.

Blackface isn't okay; I'm not defending it. And it's entirely possible that the AG's full of shit too.

But he self-disclosed, met with the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus, commented that it was horribly inappropriate, and at least demonstrated (or his PR people did) some sensitivity about the issue.

This is what the VA Black Caucus said:

We called for Governor Northam's resignation sharply and swiftly because all of the facts were before us immediately," the statement read. "That is still our position."

The lawmakers did not call for Attorney General Herring to resign, following Herring's revelation that he put on blackface in college, but called for "further action" from Herring to convince Virginia he is able to lead.

There's enough of a distinction there to pass a smell test, even if Herring's resignation would lead to more fuckery by a Republican governor.

And -- not to compare, but because the article mentions it anyway -- they haven't called for Fairfax to resign either:

In regards to sexual assault allegations made against Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax, the black caucus said they, "must be fully and thoroughly investigated by the appropriate agencies."

That was yesterday, though. Something might've come down since another named victim accused Fairfax today.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Blackface is obviously disgusting, but let's not put that anywhere near the level of guy that's increasingly looking like a serial rapist.
It was poor wording on my part, but the thing I was going for was trying to envision how VA's black voting population will see this just as a surface level thing. I'll admit it was in poor taste and won't bring it up again.

Regardless, everything about this situation is completely awful and I can only hope Fairfax gets booted ASAP.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
If it's possible they need to leave in the order they can replace each other. No good will come out of all of them leaving at the same time. And if that's not possible it's better to force out the one that potentially committed a crime and leave in the others.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus christ

Virginia politics is a shitshow rn

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
What a fucking shit show. Fairfax needs to resign. After that Northam needs to after appointing someone to take the position.

Oct 25, 2017
This has all been such a mess. Hopefully this ends with a replacement appointed and then Northam stepping down, because otherwise...woof.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Are people in this thread seriously comparing 2 accusations of sexual assault with wearing blackface in the 80s and wondering why the sexual assaulter is being dealt with first? WOW. Perspective people.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are people in this thread seriously comparing 2 accusations of sexual assault with wearing blackface in the 80s and wondering why the sexual assaulter is being dealt with first? WOW. Perspective people.

The people are bringing up the point that white and black people get treated differently. I think it's pretty obvious. It's also obvious that sexual assault is gross and multiple credible accusations mean this man should resign.

Also, I don't think the thread should worry, the racist fucks will be out at some point too.

Oct 25, 2017
As repugnant as racism is, blackface isn't illegal. Sexual assault claims by multiple women could lead to some sort of criminal charge being filed. They absolutely cannot wait for that to potentially happen. Illinois got rid of Blago once it became clear he was going to face charges and trial. It is becoming increasingly more likely that Fairfax may face the same.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Northram is going to make it through this. I'm amazed. Fairfax is toast.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Odd question but can they actually impeach him here since he hasn't been convicted of these rapes yet? Or does this fall under one of those other articles of impeachment. Because if he's stubborn (like his statements over this seem to suggest he will be) he could just fight this and make things difficult. And if they can't actually impeach him over allegations then it'll be a huge blunder that'll drag this out forever.

It'd honestly be easier for him to resign, maybe this is just a threat to force his hand here? Man, what a fucking mess.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Northram is going to make it through this. I'm amazed. Fairfax is toast.

Yeah, unfortunately Northam may survive this although his approval numbers have plummeted.

According to a Morning Consult poll 4 days ago, Northam dropped from 48% to 29% approval.

Surprisingly Democrat voters still approved 50%(down from 70% though) otherwise his total approval would be much lower. (20% Independent and 13% Republican approve of his job performance)

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I feel bad for Virginia voters, because holy shit is the upper levels of their government disgusting as hell.
Hoping for Northam, Fairfax, and the AG all to go, but I'll take what I get. Yeesh.

Odd question but can they actually impeach him here since he hasn't been convicted of these rapes yet? Or does this fall under one of those other articles of impeachment. Because if he's stubborn (like his statements over this seem to suggest he will be) he could just fight this and make things difficult. And if they can't actually impeach him over allegations then it'll be a huge blunder that'll drag this out forever.

It'd honestly be easier for him to resign, maybe this is just a threat to force his hand here? Man, what a fucking mess.
It varies from state to state, but in general you don't actually have to be indicted to be impeached. In fact, the opposite is usually true where someone is impeached and then indicted.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I feel bad for Virginia voters, because holy shit is the upper levels of their government disgusting as hell.
Hoping for Northam, Fairfax, and the AG all to go, but I'll take what I get. Yeesh.
The Virginia Democratic Party pretty much assured the state will be veering hard-right next election. It's the downside to having a base with actual morals (and Republican hypocrisy).