• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last Pauper tournament started at 1am for me, would be nice to have one at a reasonable time.

Voted for Saturday afternoon.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Played a bit last night after not having played for a few days, and I can definitely feel myself falling off. I think like someone else said the biggest issue to me is that the first set is (not surprisingly) just a bit boring and vanilla - and playing different colors doesn't feel THAT different. It kind of contributes to the feeling that this is more of a digital board game than a digital card game. The flow of "both players take turns trying to assemble the most optimal set of numbers on board, the board state resolves, then go again" feels very board-gamey to me. Not to say that's a bad thing, but it doesn't quite scratch the same card game itch. I'm sure future sets will have more synergies and cards with unique effects which will help a lot.

Also want SOME form of progression to incentivize me to keep playing. Certainly don't want daily quests or anything to the level of Hearthstone, but I would love having a rank and some kind of "reach rank X to get a pretty avatar" type thing. I know, progression is just a distraction and it should be enough that the game is fun to play, but I am only human and my dumb monkey brain likes it when people give me pretty pictures for doing a menial task.

I would not bet against Garfield and Valve, and it feels like there is a solid foundation here. The game just needs to mature a little bit. I'm just not sure if I'll be playing much until that happens.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I have a real hard time believing that ONLY $2500 entered the economy during that time. In fact I'll even go as far as to say they are lying. But hey they guy in my discord who opened like 8 axes after exploiting that shit for two hours straight must account for 15% of that "$2500"

As someone who just spent like $15 building a deck on Sunday I'll just say that I feel slightly cheated. Valve assured us all that they wouldn't even BALANCE the cards because it would affect their market value, so I was spending my money accordingly. The deck I built is literally like $6 all day right now. Stupid me. I should just buy games a straight month after they come out now. Time to learn from my mistakes instead of getting hyped for day one purchases.

I'll still have a blast playing this casually but I'm probably never taking this shit seriously again.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The prices of cards have barely blipped since yesterday, though.

And even if Valve did absolutely nothing, the market value was always going to be unstable in the early days of the game. That's what happens with every other game too. Things are only starting to settle down now.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I have a real hard time believing that ONLY $2500 entered the economy during that time. In fact I'll even go as far as to say they are lying. But hey they guy in my discord who opened like 8 axes after exploiting that shit for two hours straight must account for 15% of that "$2500"

As someone who just spent like $15 building a deck on Sunday I'll just say that I feel slightly cheated. Valve assured us all that they wouldn't even BALANCE the cards because it would affect their market value, so I was spending my money accordingly. The deck I built is literally like $6 all day right now. Stupid me. I should just buy games a straight month after they come out now. Time to learn from my mistakes instead of getting hyped for day one purchases.

I'll still have a blast playing this casually but I'm probably never taking this shit seriously again.

I dunno, I'd say the market pretty quickly balancing back out would lend their claim more credit wouldn't it?

Also the not balancing cards thing wasn't a definite. It's two weeks in they could literally do anything. They've only said that they would rather not do that. Once stuff starts going down hill I'm sure a lot of things they'd like and not like to do go out the window.

LatscherGnu

Apr 23, 2018
$15 down to $6? wow, total cost of a full collection was around $190 on sunday and is around $185 now, bad luck getting cards that just went down hard

Sep 14, 2018
Also want SOME form of progression to incentivize me to keep playing. Certainly don't want daily quests or anything to the level of Hearthstone, but I would love having a rank and some kind of "reach rank X to get a pretty avatar" type thing.

Last summer Cygames introduced a Grandmaster rank for Shadowverse, a lot of people were excited for it and it rewarded exclusive cosmetics for every month, so you'd know exactly when someone got to GM. That was a great progression system.

But it coincided with the release of a truly over the top power creep expansion, that gave us one of the most degenerate decks I've seen in any card game, eventually they nerfed pretty much the whole expansion and announced they would reign in their awful design philosophy, but I never gave the game another chance after that.

So I'm hoping Valve will be flexible with their "no card changes" thing or I'll drop the game and not look back.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to play Shadowverse and really liked it, but what is the degenerate deck you are talking about? I think I stopped playing around the release of Wonderland Dreams and only picked it up again a few months ago.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you like precons

Rotation(?) moved from Nov 14 to January 11th.

jlmpghc.jpg

EDIT: Nvm, it's a glitch.

Sep 14, 2018

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Running a cheap mono black deck from some site, I forget which, and I absolutely destroyed my opponent. Netdecking isn't all that fun, though.
It feels a bit like cheating on a test.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of Blackburn. I've been doing something vaguely similar with a Red/Black burn deck but I was feeling red wasn't contributing much outside of Pugna's signature card making opponents not want to burn themselves with spells. Definitely seems fun to play.

I've got a couple of the more expensive black cards as a result too, might see how BB works with a Tinker.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Assassinate's cost, 7, ruin some of the aggro, though? Now that I think of it, the match I played went to turn 6. The game wasn't even close for any of the turns however.
That's Sniper's card right? Tinker's is March of the Machines.

Thinking about it though, MOTM like most improvements is fairly slow so it's probably not ideal for a faster burn deck. I liked it because it thins out the board while doing an extra 2 damage to the tower.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
That's Sniper's card right? Tinker's is March of the Machines.

Thinking about it though, MOTM like most improvements is fairly slow so it's probably not ideal for a faster burn deck. I liked it because it thins out the board while doing an extra 2 damage to the tower.
Ah, right!
Blackburn already has improvements for damage tower 1 and damage tower 4. If you get those early, like I did, it gets out of control quickly.

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about it, and without a doubt the worst-balanced card is Payday.

I've had the exact same game play out so many times now. Opponent hoards their gold for a little bit, then plays 2x Payday. Bam, suddenly everyone is rocking the Apotheosis Blade or that horn that summons Thunderhides. It's a 3 cost card that's a total game winner. There's no real thought required to enact this strategy. There's no way to counter it, other than hope you're good enough to beat your opponent when they're 80 gold up on you.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about it, and without a doubt the worst-balanced card is Payday.

I've had the exact same game play out so many times now. Opponent hoards their gold for a little bit, then plays 2x Payday. Bam, suddenly everyone is rocking the Apotheosis Blade or that horn that summons Thunderhides. It's a 3 cost card that's a total game winner. There's no real thought required to enact this strategy. There's no way to counter it, other than hope you're good enough to beat your opponent when they're 80 gold up on you.

Yeah, it feels like the designers thought it would only be used when a player has been losing a couple of rounds straight, and needs some cash to buy up a health or attack item. It's a little short-sighted to not think players wouldn't just game 2 or 3 of the cards in one round and bulldoze their opponent.

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
Corrosive Mist and One for Me are the counters to Pay Day.
Yeah, I might start putting corrosive mist in more of my decks.

You're right though - there are some counters. Ravenhook is another one. It's just a frustratingly common/easy strategy. I enjoy when someone kills me with a novel strategy but it's boring to just see iron fog/track/payday spammed in so many decks.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Helm of the Dominator is also a great counter to horn of the alpha, just wait till they slam that thing down and then take it from them. Highly recommend vs black gold gain.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
It's not very interesting to watch.
Most of the streamers have gone back to other games.

Streamers also say it's hard to interact with viewers too because of how much focus it requires to play good.

I agree a typical structured stream is not very interesting to watch unless the personality is stellar. Most streams I prefer to tune into are running tournaments. Allowing individual streamers to play, and then take a break and spectate other people in that tournament providing additional commentary there.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint did a pretty good write-up and review of Artifact.

I think they make some really good points and the write-up over all is really great, but I think they largely ignore the benefits of drafts and how most the community at this point feels Draft is where the games balance is best. They also focus a lot on the paid competitive mode where a lot of the competitive aspect has more turned to social tournaments with either drafts or sometimes restricted constructed decks.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

I think they make some really good points and the write-up over all is really great, but I think they largely ignore the benefits of drafts and how most the community at this point feels Draft is where the games balance is best. They also focus a lot on the paid competitive mode where a lot of the competitive aspect has more turned to social tournaments with either drafts or sometimes restricted constructed decks.
Great review. I love how Partin weaved the history of Valve, Magic and proxy cards into an interesting conceptual foundation for his review of Artifact. I don't read many reviews (I honestly tend to avoid them), but this author is an outstanding critic. Is Waypoint normally a channel for more "serious" criticism?

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Great review. I love how Partin weaved the history of Valve, Magic and proxy cards into an interesting conceptual foundation for his review of Artifact. I don't read many reviews (I honestly tend to avoid them), but this author is an outstanding critic. Is Waypoint normally a channel for more "serious" criticism?

I think, though, that this line, "It's the metagame that's the problem," is a bit disingenuous (unless I have a more narrow view of what metagame means than the author. His explanation: " where a game "ends" and the rest of the world begins"). The metagame (deckbuilding for me) is fine--it's the market/monetization that's the problem (except that it really isn't outside a few cards). Again, who buys every card in the set, anyway?

Waypoint is very focused on the serious and philosophical look at games.

As for the line about the metagame, I think he says in his review that he considers the metagame issue with Artifact is that it's become more of a metagame for Valve. I could be taking it wrong but it was more about Valve is playing the metagame of the market and that's the issue.

Not so much the metagame of the game itself. Which is also in line with where I feels he ignores drafts too much.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Waypoint is very focused on the serious and philosophical look at games.

As for the line about the metagame, I think he says in his review that he considers the metagame issue with Artifact is that it's become more of a metagame for Valve. I could be taking it wrong but it was more about Valve is playing the metagame of the market and that's the issue.

Not so much the metagame of the game itself. Which is also in line with where I feels he ignores drafts too much.

Good points. And after reading the article again, I think Partin convinced me that my original conception was far too narrow. (Which is why I edited it out, but yet it lives on! lol)

If we were to take my original conception of deckbuilding as the metagame, and you need cards to build decks, and cards come from the monetization, it would seem to add cost to the metagame. Also, maybe it's when I hear/use "meta," the person/I seems to be talking about the construction of the deck; where "metagame" seems to imply the world outside the game. This is such hairsplitting. though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Artfax items no longer front page "popular items" on steam market T.T
dad gam

Damn, the fall was quick.

As an addition to the metagame dicsussion, I am reminded of Bogost's term unit operations. It seems that this could imply metagame, as the metagame is a combination of all unit operations that creates the meta, where I was only looking at one unit (deckbuilding) of the whole.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

I feel that the one thing missing from this is that Magic the Gathering Online, which launched in 2002, uses basically the same economic model (to the point, at launch, it was called Magic Online with Digital Objects) down to the point of using a set amount of $1 Event Tickets to play in any mode with prize support, except that all the selling/buying of cards are either done on websites outside of the game, or from bots in the game that are run by those same websites, so Wizards doesn't get a cut of the profits (the "currency" in game are those $1 event tickets that you can trade)

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I will admit I've gotten back into Slay the Spire more again. The games take so long for too many times when you're essentially waiting on RNG to play out.

I'm cool with the waiting when there's actual math/strategy going on, but some of the swings just because creeps keep spawning or the directions don't land correctly bring games into a real slog.