• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have ever seen someone use up the whole timer. I actually kept wondering if it is even possible with the standard timer.

I did see quite a big difference between my opponents and me so I guess late game it is gonna ruffle some feathers.

New tournament timer sounds crazy though. One way to nerf Mono Blue I guess. Draft is probably trickier too.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I don't think I have ever seen someone use up the whole timer. I actually kept wondering if it is even possible with the standard timer.

I did see quite a big difference between my opponents and me so I guess late game it is gonna ruffle some feathers.

New tournament timer sounds crazy though. One way to nerf Mono Blue I guess. Draft is probably trickier too.

Lifecoach made it down to a few seconds once. He had to spam spacebar for the rest of that turn so he wouldn't lose the game, lol.

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Getting off a 5 hero Time of Triumph feels so good

What doesn't feel good is being 1 damage short of a victory and getting your 5 wins...

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
1n9is3O.jpg

No clue how this deck turned into my first 5-0. The first 2 turns basically I could do nothing. There may be something to the strategy of having low HP heros on the flop. The players seem to not be able to help blowing cards and doing everything they can to get those early kills. Then they don't have those cards later when they more need them and when they're dying left and right to better end game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just played a level 26 guy at 4 wins in draft and he outplayed me so damn easily. Not even mad, his deck wasn't busted, he just predicted every move two turns ahead.

No clue how this deck turned into my first 5-0. The first 2 turns basically I could do nothing. There may be something to the strategy of having low HP heros on the flop. The players seem to not be able to help blowing cards and doing everything they can to get those early kills. Then they don't have those cards later when they more need them and when they're dying left and right to better end game.
That's a great deck. There's a few filler cards and your items are bad but there's a lot of really solid cards in there, and Annihilate and Thunderstorm are game changers.

Wasting swing cards to get early kills is a rookie mistake. Cards like Duel, the bad players will pop them turn one for easy kills but unless they really need the gold to swing things early that's probably a huge waste when someone should absolutely be saving that stuff for 6 mana to clear your board so you can't Assassinate/Thundergod/Echo Slam the next turn. If you're playing blue and your heroes die in the first few turns... that's perfectly fine. All you do is survive a few turns and take control of the board.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
wth, I just won a game of prize draft and I hit to continue finding matches, instead it kicked me out to the main menu and didn't record the win?

e: Checking the reddit (ugh) it seems lots of people are having connection errors and losing games as a result. Might avoid prize play for a while.

Messy

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking through my turns is so exhausting to me. Can only play like 2 games at a time until I need to take a break. Still having a lot of fun in Phantom Draft. Constructed doesn't look too appealing for me at the moment so I don't think I will dip into it for now.

Hope we get some more info about the next patch soon (I played Dota, so I know not to expect any communication from Valve but it is nice to believe in things)

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Just played a level 26 guy at 4 wins in draft and he outplayed me so damn easily. Not even mad, his deck wasn't busted, he just predicted every move two turns ahead.

That's a great deck. There's a few filler cards and your items are bad but there's a lot of really solid cards in there, and Annihilate and Thunderstorm are game changers.

Wasting swing cards to get early kills is a rookie mistake. Cards like Duel, the bad players will pop them turn one for easy kills but unless they really need the gold to swing things early that's probably a huge waste when someone should absolutely be saving that stuff for 6 mana to clear your board so you can't Assassinate/Thundergod/Echo Slam the next turn. If you're playing blue and your heroes die in the first few turns... that's perfectly fine. All you do is survive a few turns and take control of the board.

I didn't even realize I had thunderstorm in that deck. I seriously think I went 5 games without ever drawing it. Used the Annihilate once though.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I notice more and more a gap in skill or at least deck quality in constructed. Had some very one sided games with me winning basically all 3 lanes.

Probably because I haven't seen any R/G ramp in a while.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Prize constructed is where the skill gap spikes exponentially. I generally can get at least three wins per run in standard constructed no problem. So far in prize I've only gotten three wins once. The players I see in price are ridiculous. Level +25s that just outplay me at every turn.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Drow's reputation is preceding her, and some people don't think clearly when she's in play. I had multiple games yesterday where my opponent specifically went out of their way to kill/condemn her, when her +1 wasn't making any difference, and/or when there were better Heroes to go after (like my sole Blue Hero left on the board). I took her out of my U/G deck after one game where she was in-play for one whole round out of eight (and which I still won) - being effectively dropped to 4 Heroes a game because of Drow Derangement Syndrome is no fun.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just came up against a level 32 Chinese player. Highest I've seen.

Got stuck with an awful, awful draft deck, can't wait to lose out of this.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
No clue how this deck turned into my first 5-0. The first 2 turns basically I could do nothing.
I also noticed that I manage to get 5 wins way more often with just mediocre decks.
If I draft the nuts, I only usually go 2-2 or 3-2 at best.

Just went 5-0 with this deck. Enough Magic won me like 3 games alone. Never casted Anihilation and Friendly Fire only once in all five games.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
If I draft the nuts, I only usually go 2-2 or 3-2 at best.
Just drafted LC and Axe and went 1-2

I keep coming up against this Chinese guy who's always drafted the nuts and I'm starting to suspect he's just abandoning runs until he gets great decks

e: just drafted double Annihilation and went 0-2 fml I'm so tilted

I get perfect runs from drafting really solid black/green more than anything else, gotta stop chasing heroes/bomb cards

Last edited:

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
So uhh, how do you get better at draft?

I just started playing draft, and I've yet to win more than 3-4 games before losing 2. The problem is I'm not really able to identify if it's how I constructed my deck or how I played it. I've been using draft tier lists to guide my draft selections but I haven't figured out how to best fine-tune it so I don't end up with unevenly constructed decks. I still remember my first draft deck had a billion creeps and no good spells.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Just drafted LC and Axe and went 1-2

I keep coming up against this Chinese guy who's always drafted the nuts and I'm starting to suspect he's just abandoning runs until he gets great decks

e: just drafted double Annihilation and went 0-2 fml I'm so tilted

I get perfect runs from drafting really solid black/green more than anything else, gotta stop chasing heroes/bomb cards

The green/blue difference between draft and constructed I think is funny. Green seems like it's the least usable in constructed as a whole, but it's probably the most versatile and worthwhile to play in draft. Where it's kind of the opposite where Blue right now is the strongest in constructed but seems to be only valuable as the splash color in draft.

I just started playing draft, and I've yet to win more than 3-4 games before losing 2. The problem is I'm not really able to identify if it's how I constructed my deck or how I played it. I've been using draft tier lists to guide my draft selections but I haven't figured out how to best fine-tune it so I don't end up with unevenly constructed decks. I still remember my first draft deck had a billion creeps and no good spells.

I think it's a mixture. Knowing when to abandon a color and abandoning the tier lists to focus on making an actual deck during draft is a big one. Then it comes to remembering the different heroes late games and trying to play best around it.

I'd say it's a learning curve. You can end up with great heroes but a bad deck, or you can end up with a really good deck with bad heroes. The good deck is easier to win with than the deck centered around good heroes.

Basically by third pack you should have an idea of what way you're leaning. And don't be afraid to just all out abandon good heroes you drafted to fill in with a Debbi or Farvhon if you have better cards in green or black.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well draft is draft. Just because you get really powerful cards doesn't mean it'll work well with what you have. It's about knowing the synergy between cards and colors. In constructed, you can pretty much just look up the meta decks online somewhere and do decent. In draft you really have to know the game inside and out to do well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I am shit at drafting. You basically gotta clutch it

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really get any satisfaction from Draft, I've actually gone in and played a lot of the Call to Arms event lately and I'm thoroughly enjoying that. Getting a lot of mileage out of the Blue/Red list with Meepo and Axe. Nothing more satisfying than getting like 5+ heroes Time of Triumph'd. I'd probably tweak it if I were playing it in constructed though.

Death and Taxes is just kinda shit without the old Cheating Death.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just had a guy blow an At Any Cost against me on turn 1 just to kill a Bounty Hunter that didn't even have lethal on anyone. Like dude, a couple of turns later I had two lanes full of minions and you could've easily saved yourself but got greedy for 5 gold.

The green/blue difference between draft and constructed I think is funny. Green seems like it's the least usable in constructed as a whole, but it's probably the most versatile and worthwhile to play in draft. Where it's kind of the opposite where Blue right now is the strongest in constructed but seems to be only valuable as the splash color in draft.
Green is still useful in constructed for ramp, but yeah I'd say red and blue are stronger constructed and black and green are stronger draft.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Constructed Skill Rating of 49, and now almost every player I'm up against is running a meta deck, regardless of colour. I wouldn't mind if I were learning something, but for the most part they're just generic decks - Red with Duel and ToT or Black with Debbi and Phantom. I've never been bothered about losing Heroes on the first round or two, but it's a literal waste of time to look at the lanes and realise there's a very good chance the Heroes I'm laying down aren't going to survive one round.

All that said, I played a Black/Green deck which was amusing to watch play out - Revtel Convoy plus various Black cards to boost amount of gold (which thus boosted Revtel). 107 damage against the only tower they were attacking, and they hadn't even got the Ancient out. I got wise to what the opponent was doing and Surrendered - no point wasting our time.

Edit: Also frustrating that I haven't got a single Annihilation or ToT from all the packs I've opened. Nor an Axe, either.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Petrify with a huge mistake just now may take him out in the first round. Damn. Coup'd the wrong hero and did no damage on a 1 hp tower(vesture). Wow

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Around the time of Artifact getting revealed I was really not liking Slacks, but damn I've come around on him and really like him. He's great.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad mono blue is somewhat falling out of favor fast. I find it so damn boring.

We have a mirror match with it now, but sounds like it's not very popular over the tourney as a whole.

Gela possibly coming back in this match has been really interesting though.

Last edited:

Messy

Oct 25, 2017
That was an amazing match, despite being a monoblue mirror. Didn't expect Gela to come back like that.

Edit: Spoke too soon, haha

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
That was an amazing match, despite being a monoblue mirror. Didn't expect Gela to come back like that.

Edit: Spoke too soon, haha

That play by rename was pretty clutch. I'm really surprised Gela came back to make it close at all. Using that glyph to her advantage was great.

I was down on a monoblue mirror match but damn that game was great.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
....what was that?

So the budget for the presentation of the tournament definitely must have been made a while ago right? Like they thought it would be big?

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
The Artifact subreddit has got to be one of the more toxic communities out there. Seems like lots of people are just there to shit on the game rather than contribute to any productive discussion. I guess that really shows the importance of good moderation.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The Artifact subreddit has got to be one of the more toxic communities out there. Seems like lots of people are just there to shit on the game rather than contribute to any productive discussion. I guess that really shows the importance of good moderation.

Without a doubt. All the posts are now are "I've played 100 hours, here's how you fix the game." or random rng clips to show the game is bad.

The occasional posts with actual ideas for cards or heroes or talks of combos just gets downvoted and ridiculed.

All this production value for fewer than 2k viewers... FeelsWastefulMan

It had to be budgeted far ahead of time before the userbase and viewership bombed right? It just had to.