• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Had someone over the weekend play The Oath like turn 2 with nothing but one hero and one creep there. He ended up having to keep putting heroes there that the other two lanes pretty much fell easily.

The person was like level 19 too. I was completely confused. I just blocked it with one hero and took the other two towers easily.

The Oath feels like a really high skill ceiling card to me. Played in the right situations, it's as devastating as Time of Triumph or Emissary of the Quorum while costing only 3 mana. It's hard to play it right though.

I had a game where the opposing player dropped a turn 1 Oath in the right lane and put 2 heroes there. I just let Kanna chill there for several turns and used DP and Prey to spawn creeps to soak the damage and go wide without fear of them playing board clearing spells. Equipped her with Phase Boots so she was never in their line of sight. By the time my opponent realized this wasn't working and ganked Kanna, I had gone wide enough to take that lane while having a 4-on-3 advantage in the other two lanes. Tinker's signature would have countered that but he wasn't in the deck.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Y6BNnjt.gif

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Valve Time as dependable as always.

Let's see:

Chaos Blitz is at least something that can mix things up from the sound of it. Though not sure about putting it in the tournament framework.

Hovering gold in the HUD displays the amount of gold spent but not yet revealed through playing items (this is a clue rather than an exact amount because of hidden information with Hold, Shop Deed, etc.)

If this is what I think it is, neat. Felt like an odd omission for a game with built in deck trackers.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Wow a lot of items got a lot more playable. I'm drafting Sven + Blade of the Vigil next time for pure Cleave sadism.

They really want to encourage people away from just drafting the 3 cost items and make armor a lot more viable. This'll make low cost item guessing a lot tougher too.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, that patch (and specifically the "long haul" bit) could be worse. Still not actual bloody communication, but it's Valve. I'm not even sure they know what a Communications Officer is. Those lowered item costs are really nice - my one twue wuv Phase Boots getting cheaper pleases me greatly. :D

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Love the long haul bit. Odd to focus solely on item cards but I'll take it. Blade and ring changes seem nuts. Blade on Sven is insane.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the item changes is a small buff to Blue heroes. Lower cost items help them more over time than most other I would think.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I really hate the faster timer. I just threw lethal in a game because I was down to 5 seconds left and had to spam spacebar instead of look at my hand. I get that they wanted to make the games more fast-paced but this is an extremely complex game and I hate having to feel rushed to make all of my decisions. I don't see myself playing very much as long as they keep it as-is.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I really hate the faster timer. I just threw lethal in a game because I was down to 5 seconds left and had to spam spacebar instead of look at my hand. I get that they wanted to make the games more fast-paced but this is an extremely complex game and I hate having to feel rushed to make all of my decisions. I don't see myself playing very much as long as they keep it as-is.
You have a free 5 seconds every time you get the turn passed to you. I'm not a big fan of the reduced times and often get close to 0:00 but games taking too long was one of the biggest complaints from people. It's about what's best for everyone, however few people that may be lol

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently there is some "Mutation" cards in API after the update that haven't been revealed or release. Makes people think some kind of Tavern Brawl style mode is coming to the game. Seems like whole board versions of things like Mists, Selemane, Track and some things like that as of right now.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Slowly dropping the number of cards in my main Black/Blue deck, and it's been pretty vicious today - held on til Mana turn 12 to beat one person, but otherwise been murdering opponents on Mana turn 6/7/8. Found a decent combo in Murder Plot+Relentless Pursuit over to a lane with a clear run at the tower. One person surrendered on Mana turn 7 after I relentlessly killed their Blue heroes in their Black/Blue deck - Hip Fire/Keenfolk Turret/Coup de Grace/Assassination all targeted Blue heroes.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
emLYOSi.jpg

Sometimes, you just have to learn to give up. This guy seemed to have nothing but delay delay delay. He had no end game besides a Thunderhide which he got down early and it was quickly taken out. This went to mana 13 and was one of those games that definitely went on for 40 minutes because the guy just refused to concede.

Wasn't even a new player, was level 25.

Also those two heroes ready to be deployed? He didn't put them in lane one...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Looking over items now, there's a lot of playable health items, Blink + Jasper are still the best weapons although draft has more options and armor is still useless.

We need more armor items with strong effects. Nobody is playing armor for the stats, the stuff that does see play (Vesture, Bracers, Helm in draft) are all for the ability.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently there is some "Mutation" cards in API after the update that haven't been revealed or release. Makes people think some kind of Tavern Brawl style mode is coming to the game. Seems like whole board versions of things like Mists, Selemane, Track and some things like that as of right now.
O:

I'm into it.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Really want to try out an open tournament but never seem to get 8 players, wish this game was more active

I'd honestly suggest just doing Call to Arms Gauntlet with the random deck choice. The complete randomness of the tournament can be kind of annoying on top of you only having like 5 seconds to make decisions and the timer being bugged right now where it's counting down during animations. It can be fun but it's almost too hectic and chaotic and there is just no reward for doing it for 90 minutes.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
People playing Burning Oil as though it's supposed to make me be more cautious about attacking that tower, so they can focus on the other lanes. I'm like "Nah mate, Sorla Khan and constant health postions will do me".

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
People playing Burning Oil as though it's supposed to make me be more cautious about attacking that tower, so they can focus on the other lanes. I'm like "Nah mate, Sorla Khan and constant health postions will do me".

I see burning Oil as more just a counter to Kanna/Veno to make sure their creeps can't go 80, or the same thing for Disciple lanes.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah Burning Oil is for creep control. Stops little ones from snowballing. It's not something heroes or big minions worry about.

Red Mist goes from threat to dead just like that.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Burning Oil is for creep control. Stops little ones from snowballing. It's not something heroes or big minions worry about.

Red Mist goes from threat to dead just like that.

I always forget Red Mist because I feel like they don't get utilized that often in draft. Either people don't get a good enough chance to put them down or they're just more uncommon, but they seem to rarely come up. Rebel Instigators end up being more common and more well utilized.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly suggest just doing Call to Arms Gauntlet with the random deck choice. The complete randomness of the tournament can be kind of annoying on top of you only having like 5 seconds to make decisions and the timer being bugged right now where it's counting down during animations. It can be fun but it's almost too hectic and chaotic and there is just no reward for doing it for 90 minutes.

Yeah, I want more relaxed, casual game modes but blitz isn't doing it because the blitz timer sucks. I wish there was a matchmaking option where people who want slower timers can match with each other.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like VNN jumps to the most crazy conclusions just to make for a good video. Like saying that the unity stuff automatically means the game is going free to play when it launches on mobile. Or saying the mutation cards are part of some new expansion. If anything they seem like they'd more tie into a puzzle type mode because they're basically just modification of already existing cards.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean u need dose clicks.
Can't just be vanilla reddit rumors

I'd say the biggest take away from it is that they're possibly looking at other ideas for gameplay modes. Which honestly is interesting enough and yet another reversal on an old stance they stated before.

That's honestly a good takeaway that they're not just looking at just the basic things that everyone wants.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Most of the stuff sounds really good

I disagree with a few things though

The mutations seem more like Tavern Brawl than a new expansion, those effects would either be too expensive or too broken for constructed

Apple and Valve thing is going to have no issues as long as all transactions on mobile go through Apple

That said F2P will be a necessity on mobile to some extent. Game is dead if there's an upfront fee. Base client will be free at least

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the stuff sounds really good

I disagree with a few things though

The mutations seem more like Tavern Brawl than a new expansion, those effects would either be too expensive or too broken for constructed

Apple and Valve thing is going to have no issues as long as all transactions on mobile go through Apple

That said F2P will be a necessity on mobile to some extent. Game is dead if there's an upfront fee. Base client will be free at least
Idk feels like Valve wants Steamlink and Steam market on Apple
Apple be like we want a piece
Gaben: lul

The steam market is essential for Artifact

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought early on they said the app wouldn't have marketplace? Maybe I'm confusing speculation with stuff they said though.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I see burning Oil as more just a counter to Kanna/Veno to make sure their creeps can't go 80, or the same thing for Disciple lanes.

Yeah, that I can see, but this person? When they played it, I had Sorla and one creep in the lane, and they had Legion Commander and a couple of creeps. I guess it could've been just a "I got nothing else to play, may as well play it here", but otherwise, they just didn't seem to understand its use.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand I'm pretty much bored/burnt out on the game now. Too few people playing, with too little variety, and many current players narrowing on a select few Heroes (myself included). If you're playing Red, you're pretty much always gonna have Legion Commander (and the 2 cost Duel) in deck, just like playing mono-Blue you're almost always going to have Zeus, and Black is going to have Sorla. It makes many games just the same old, same old. I'll probably start to hit up Draft when I fancy playing, but eh.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The Red Mist site is really going above and beyond with their stats/records support. Chrome extension for quick checking, now have a win rate ranking system, their break downs are really in depth.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaand I'm pretty much bored/burnt out on the game now. Too few people playing, with too little variety, and many current players narrowing on a select few Heroes (myself included). If you're playing Red, you're pretty much always gonna have Legion Commander (and the 2 cost Duel) in deck, just like playing mono-Blue you're almost always going to have Zeus, and Black is going to have Sorla. It makes many games just the same old, same old. I'll probably start to hit up Draft when I fancy playing, but eh.

People are making interesting puzzles. Give it a try - it's very different from the normal games.