• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking up features I'd like to see, and I remembered a challenge mode I used to play in Duelyst.

Basically every day they would give you a board, a hand, and 1 turn to calculate the exact lethal.

It might not be possible to replicate that exactly in Artifact due to the more back and forward nature, but some kind of similar "win from this position" practice mode would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So i just realized, the game doenst show how many items the oponent bought until after the deployment phase. I wanted to deploy a hero depending on if my oponent used their 8 gold, how much gold they used and how many cards they got to get an idea if they bought a consumable or a small hp item but i coudnt. I wonder if its a balance thing that they dont show the items in the hand inmediatly after the shop phase

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Finally pulled off Luna + Blink Dagger to get double charges in a single turn and just enough to clear a lane. Had been wanting to do it for so long and finally nailed it (this is in draft). Felt good.

So i just realized, the game doenst show how many items the oponent bought until after the deployment phase. I wanted to deploy a hero depending on if my oponent used their 8 gold, how much gold they used and how many cards they got to get an idea if they bought a consumable or a small hp item but i coudnt. I wonder if its a balance thing that they dont show the items in the hand inmediatly after the shop phase
I'm not sure if it's for balancing, but I did notice you 'draw' it like a normal card after the round has started. Maybe it's just an aesthetic choice to make it a cohesive part of the draw animation instead of a separate instance between purchasing and deploying?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I know we've talked a lot about our favorite art in the game, but can we talk about the worst card art?

relentless-pursuit.png

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at an r/games comment thread where there was an article posted of how Artifact finished 2018 outside Steams top 100 games is god damn depressing.

I'm not quite sure how they can change the perception of the game when all it's filled with is talks of the game not being fun and also having horrible monetization.

It's also filled with a lot of terrible terrible takes and just misinformation in general. But it's probably the most viewed thing about the game because people want to love to shit on the idea of Valve not making Half Life 3 and it failing because of it.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think eliminating the buy in and releasing a good expansion with fun elements will be all that is necessary to give the game a good kick in the pants.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I think a good first move would be for Valve to make the game Free2Try... Allowing people to play the Call to Arms Event at no cost. Unlocking progression to get packs and other play modes behind some value is tricky but probably still required but, maybe should be adjusted to be easier to digest.

But for me, I don't think any real surge will happen until the expansion comes out. The damage is done.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean the game was never going to be as big as Magic or Hearthstone. It's like releasing a FPS and thinking you're going to be as big as Call of Duty. I would be curious on how big Gwent's PC playerbase is. I know their standalone thing flopped and got released on Steam really quickly. I probably wouldn't call Artifact successful in terms of players but I also don't know how many players that would take for me to change. 10k daily? 20k daily?

I think one good expansion and the mobile release will do a lot. People will always complain that it's not HL3 but the only thing we can is hope that HL:VR comes out soon and shuts everyone up.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Knocked out my 3 wins for the week. Got my level 10 icons, packs and tickets. Yay, rewards!

My contructed run is at 3-1 too, so at the very least I get a ticket back too.

I mean the game was never going to be as big as Magic or Hearthstone. It's like releasing a FPS and thinking you're going to be as big as Call of Duty. I would be curious on how big Gwent's PC playerbase is. I know their standalone thing flopped and got released on Steam really quickly. I probably wouldn't call Artifact successful in terms of players but I also don't know how many players that would take for me to change. 10k daily? 20k daily?

I think one good expansion and the mobile release will do a lot. People will always complain that it's not HL3 but the only thing we can is hope that HL:VR comes out soon and shuts everyone up.

I'm not sure if I should be sad or actually somewhat happy for Gwent. Now that (re)release bombed hard, but people focus on Artifact so much, that they forget Gwent was even a thing.

I also assume Valve wanted at least pre-F2P Feam Fortress 2 numbers, which I think was around 20k. At least you can argue it would be doing fine with such a comparison.

But Artifact is quite far away from that for now.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of bad cards besides the 3 dportals and annihilation. :p
The late game is generally really strong thanks to all the 6-7 mana board clears. Arm the Rebellion and Alter also have good synergy with dportal. Early game sucks ass though.

But yeah it's a really weird deck. Either it completely fails to get going or it's stupid powerful.

uhnomoli

Oct 29, 2017
I can't tell if I'm bad or getting randomed in draft. I build what I feel like are amazing decks and go 0-2 and then I draft some terrible deck with mazzie and two farvhans and go 4-2. I'm probably just bad, but for the life of me I can't figure out why I get trucked some runs and then do well others.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure if I should be sad or actually somewhat happy for Gwent. Now that (re)release bombed hard, but people focus on Artifact so much, that they forget Gwent was even a thing.

I also assume Valve wanted at least pre-F2P Feam Fortress 2 numbers, which I think was around 20k. At least you can argue it would be doing fine with such a comparison.

But Artifact is quite far away from that for now.

Was Gwent ever a thing? :o

Maybe more a thing then Elder Scrolls Legend at least. 20k for a game as complex as Artifact might be asking too much for the general population. I think people like to follow flowcharts when playing games. And this goes beyond card games.

The late game is generally really strong thanks to all the 6-7 mana board clears. Arm the Rebellion and Alter also have good synergy with dportal. Early game sucks ass though.

But yeah it's a really weird deck. Either it completely fails to get going or it's stupid powerful.

Yeah you'll probably lose against black decks.

Also can i ask why 3 leather armor over 3 shortswords? Earthshaker, Zeus and Skywrath all want at least 4 attack.That's a quick buy to get them to be able to kill melee creeps. Leather armor suckkkssss.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't tell if I'm bad or getting randomed in draft. I build what I feel like are amazing decks and go 0-2 and then I draft some terrible deck with mazzie and two farvhans and go 4-2. I'm probably just bad, but for the life of me I can't figure out why I get trucked some runs and then do well others.

Should post one of your amazing decks and maybe a screenshot of a particularly touch choice. My biggest problem recently has been just been picking the best cards regardless of color. I'll get to the end and have 15 cards of each color lol.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that, Bolt always feels like a cluch win for me where my piddly heroes can't make it through the defensive line.
Yup same here. It's an attrition card, not an instant win. You have to make it to 10 mana before you can use it. Sure, you can use cards that give your tower more mana, but then you're relying on the same luck that you rely on to pull the card in the first place.

Usually when I actually get to use Bolt of Damocles, it's because I've had it since early game and it's just been sitting there, taunting me. D:
Looking at an r/games comment thread where there was an article posted of how Artifact finished 2018 outside Steams top 100 games is god damn depressing.

I'm not quite sure how they can change the perception of the game when all it's filled with is talks of the game not being fun and also having horrible monetization.

It's also filled with a lot of terrible terrible takes and just misinformation in general. But it's probably the most viewed thing about the game because people want to love to shit on the idea of Valve not making Half Life 3 and it failing because of it.
I said this in the IS ARTIFACT DAEAD???D?AS? thread, but two big semi-recent examples of games that had a rocky start (understatement, if you ask me..) but came back HARD are Final Fantasy XIV and The Elder Scrolls: Online. They're not WoW big but they no doubt make bank.

I don't see Artifact in even as bad a state as either of those at launch. It's not pretty, but it's not fatal, either. People are so quick to jump on the hyperbole train.

No Man's Sky is another example, I suppose, though the situation there is a bit more... toxic in nature.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah you should definitely playing swords over armor, armor is a last resort. Especially with blue.

Should post one of your amazing decks and maybe a screenshot of a particularly touch choice. My biggest problem recently has been just been picking the best cards regardless of color. I'll get to the end and have 15 cards of each color lol.
Yeah stop doing that after pack 2 or 3 and start focusing on 2-3 colors. Plus when in doubt avoid blue unless you're specifically getting Dimensional Portals/At All Cost/Annihilation.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah you should definitely playing swords over armor, armor is a last resort. Especially with blue.

Yeah stop doing that after pack 2 or 3 and start focusing on 2-3 colors. Plus when in doubt avoid blue unless you're specifically getting Dimensional Portals/At All Cost/Annihilation.

Blue's my favorite to play but I know it sucks in draft.

This just happened in my most recent draft. I can't imagine what the first 2 people saw to not pick either Bronze Leginonary, Disciple, Mist, Stonehall Cloak or Selfish Cleric. It must have been insane. I had to go with Mist and Disciple.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
177px-Plague_Ward_card_image.png

I know it's a worm thing, but it's just bad.

At least with this you never see the actual card. That's just to have for when you inspect the Veno hero card really.

Blue's my favorite to play but I know it sucks in draft.

This just happened in my most recent draft. I can't imagine what the first 2 people saw to not pick either Bronze Leginonary, Disciple, Mist, Stonehall Cloak or Selfish Cleric. It must have been insane. I had to go with Mist and Disciple.

Worst thing about Draft is being first pick on an amazing pack and having to chose which two to draft.

This actually reminded me of a video Swim and Sunsfan did on Artifact Cinema. They draft each others decks and had to play each other with basically the worst draft the other person could put together. Thought it was actually a fun concept. They were playing with cards they weren't even sure how they worked.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I got the game a couple of days ago. I think I'm just starting to grasp the mechanics. Had my first 3-game win streak with the Green Machine deck in the featured event.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I know we've talked a lot about our favorite art in the game, but can we talk about the worst card art?

I'm not a big fan of the word "worst", but we can talk about it:

2dfhnY4.jpg

I'm not really getting a sense of pursuit here. It looks like she's already caught up to him and is throwing sand in his face. I didn't even see the knife in his shoulder until looking at the image for a while.

I think this image would be greatly improved if you moved the woman further away, and have a more anguished look on the purple guy's face. The colors are really nice, but it's more of a silent and quiet pursuit over a more dramatic confrontation.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup same here. It's an attrition card, not an instant win. You have to make it to 10 mana before you can use it. Sure, you can use cards that give your tower more mana, but then you're relying on the same luck that you rely on to pull the card in the first place.

Usually when I actually get to use Bolt of Damocles, it's because I've had it since early game and it's just been sitting there, taunting me. D:

I said this in the IS ARTIFACT DAEAD???D?AS? thread, but two big semi-recent examples of games that had a rocky start (understatement, if you ask me..) but came back HARD are Final Fantasy XIV and The Elder Scrolls: Online. They're not WoW big but they no doubt make bank.

I don't see Artifact in even as bad a state as either of those at launch. It's not pretty, but it's not fatal, either. People are so quick to jump on the hyperbole train.

No Man's Sky is another example, I suppose, though the situation there is a bit more... toxic in nature.
Also Siege

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
583950_20190103145854mtfpw.png

I've been having a lot of fun with an all-improvements deck - actually winning a decent amount with it too! Just finished this ridiculous match - I wanted to see what would happen once the top lines both got filled, but my opponent conceded :(

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've been having a lot of fun with an all-improvements deck - actually winning a decent amount with it too! Just finished this ridiculous match - I wanted to see what would happen once the top lines both got filled, but my opponent conceded :(
IIRC, you get a maximum of 16 improvements and then when you try and add a new one, it'll remove one of the others.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

I think I saw someone say you can only have a max of 16 then it won't let you put anymore.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
RepairmanJack Nappael

Huh, I see. Thanks. I remember Richard Garfield saying one of the reasons he wanted to make a digital game was so there were no arbitrary limits stopping you from having loads of shit in play at once, so I'm a bit surprised that there is a limit there. But also it's such a ridiculous edge case that I can't say I'm bothered either, hah!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
RepairmanJack Nappael

Huh, I see. Thanks. I remember Richard Garfield saying one of the reasons he wanted to make a digital game was so there were no arbitrary limits stopping you from having loads of shit in play at once, so I'm a bit surprised that there is a limit there. But also it's such a ridiculous edge case that I can't say I'm bothered either, hah!

Yeah, a lot were saying the same thing when it first came up. Could be something as small as an art thing mixed with it being an edge case?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I swear I thought there was a card for that already, but couldn't find it on a quick search lmao

I never see Dirty Deeds played much.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
After playing nearly 100 hours of almost nothing but Draft, I don't think I'm cut out for constructed. Been trying different decks the last couple days on constructed and I think it just takes a different mindset than what I've been working with on Draft.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Yay I wanted to see how viable it was as a fun deck, that looks cool as fuck

Here is the Deck List if you or anyone else is interested. I added in a couple of Unearthed Secrets today to help with the card draw as obviously the key thing is getting as many improvements out as quickly as possible and I found myself running out of cards to play sometimes. The items seem to be working for me just fine, but I don't have any of the flashy high end items so there might be better choices available. The Dominator helm has saved my bacon on more than one occasion, so I find it a good option to have available.

Basically after the first round, I look to see which lane Prellex will be likely to survive in, then either ramp that lane to high heaven or use her as a distraction while I beef up somewhere else.

Cards like Raze and Dirty Deeds are there in case an improvement heavy meta happens, but until then they're just junk.

Indeed, part of the reason this deck works so well is that not many people are rocking Raze/DD etc. There are times I've considered adding the 3x Creep Portal spell for emergencies when someone clocks what's going on early and gets on of those maces that destroy an improvement if the hero isn't blocked, but it's not too common an occurence to be worth compromising the purity of the deck :D

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Here is the Deck List if you or anyone else is interested. I added in a couple of Unearthed Secrets today to help with the card draw as obviously the key thing is getting as many improvements out as quickly as possible and I found myself running out of cards to play sometimes. The items seem to be working for me just fine, but I don't have any of the flashy high end items so there might be better choices available. The Dominator helm has saved my bacon on more than one occasion, so I find it a good option to have available.

Basically after the first round, I look to see which lane Prellex will be likely to survive in, then either ramp that lane to high heaven or use her as a distraction while I beef up somewhere else.

Indeed, part of the reason this deck works so well is that not many people are rocking Raze/DD etc.
That looks so much annoying fun, I can't think of much to change, but it'll only get more entertaining with future expansions.

They need to buff Dirty Deeds up to 3 damage per improvement, they need 3 improvements just to match the (cheaper) Lightning Strike.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Just got matched against the same guy twice. I can totally get why people get frustrated with this game now - it was a board wipe deck centred around slowly hitting towers until 10 mana is reached, and then Bolt of Damocles to kill 2 towers. Every other round had at least one lane wiped of everything. So bloody boring. :/