• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are certain cards which I feel are powerful but just brilliantly designed, Enough Magic is definitely one of them.

I really like The Oath as well.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Just had the very satisfying experience of turning a loss into a tie after my opponent was pressuring me into surrendering via chat.

"?"
"???"
"you lost"
"What's your plan dude???"

"This is my plan babe"

Mututally Assured Destruction

guillotine.png

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Put down Forward Charge as one of other surprisingly useful cards in Draft. I've ran a deck with 1 copy and it's surprisingly competent (and surprising) game finisher.

Actually had 5 win run today (1 loss), and one of the game had a case where opponents used The Oath on first lane. Barely blocked it via transporting another hero to that lane using Dark Seer and immediately forced down 40 HP first lane tower for the win. Downside for The Oath seem so super huge considering how easy it's to counter - you just need to put a body in front of enemies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Blue/Black with The Oath would be crazy, used right - Prey on the Weak follow by a couple of Dimensional Portals. Then parachute a Black Hero in, Blink Dagger the Blue Hero out, play it and laugh maniacally. I've not actually come across anyone using The Oath, though - maybe this happens all the time and I've just not seen it?

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Blue/Black with The Oath would be crazy, used right - Prey on the Weak follow by a couple of Dimensional Portals. Then parachute a Black Hero in, Blink Dagger the Blue Hero out, play it and laugh maniacally. I've not actually come across anyone using The Oath, though - maybe this happens all the time and I've just not seen it?
creep deck isn't a thing in this game because at any cost exist

its bonker in draft tho lol

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've been playing a monoblack deck with 1 Oath instead of 2. I find Disciple of Nevermore is a fair bit better. Oath is sort of like Bolt of Damocles where you really only play it to close out a game. It's alright.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
This screenshot is not going to do anything to show it any justice, but I can not explain how desperate I was to stall enough to pull this game out.

At one point he had 3 of his heroes in this lane with forward charge and I had a draw card to get a clutch eclipse to clear the board when I only had Luna on my side. Worth noting that I literally just got the opponent's last lane down like the turn before this with bolt of Damocles and ported CM out. 2 turns before this I didn't have a tower down and had mine down to 2 hp.

I had to delay a whole other turn and ended up with all my heroes in the lane. I honestly only ended up winning because he seemed to make a mistake on the bracers and not realizing it wasn't piercing. He equipped another one to the Tinker and thought with his laser and bracers he'd take out Abaddon and Sorla. He killed himself and I had two ladders to pull it out.

This game can be so damn satisfying.

I can't even remember how long my tower was down to 2 health. It was a long ass time.

I wish there was a damn replay mode.

2C70F4185B3DA9BC6E4FD8985A0D9A118B86C051

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've not seen any UB Oath decks. The Oath is mostly used in Red/Black decks, but even those are fairly rare these days.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with all of you, all these decks seem cool but then... I just think of how oppressive Blue wipes are right now it just stops me from thinking straight. I love the idea of creep focus and support as a deck but...

Nerf some of these blue board wipes!

At any cost at 3 mana is crazy. I could see 4, even 5 for dealing 6 damage. Its so powerful and cheap. Easily getting rid of most creeps WITH buffs. Annihilation could be 7 to crowd that slot up more letting Remote Detonation some room to shine.

For a colour that has great late game, it's real hard to get under them.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Aghanim's Sanctum also needs to be tweaked or something. It's pretty nuts. We need the next expansion to bring all the counters.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah only play The Oath if you're guaranteed to take a lane, don't just throw it out turn 1, that's going to fuck you. Unless you're an all improvement deck of course.

Disciple + The Oath is a great way to have a lane go from doing just under half an ancient to taking it in one turn.

e: also I think because I play very late I get Europeans that don't want to talk as opponents. every time I'm up against an English name they don't communicate/good luck/well played at all, but the Chinese names do and they're polite enough with rough English

Last edited:

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with all of you, all these decks seem cool but then... I just think of how oppressive Blue wipes are right now it just stops me from thinking straight. I love the idea of creep focus and support as a deck but...

Nerf some of these blue board wipes!

At any cost at 3 mana is crazy. I could see 4, even 5 for dealing 6 damage. Its so powerful and cheap. Easily getting rid of most creeps WITH buffs. Annihilation could be 7 to crowd that slot up more letting Remote Detonation some room to shine.

For a colour that has great late game, it's real hard to get under them.

Had someone who got 2x Multicasts of smashing AaC down like crazy in the beginning. What a fun experience that was.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
why does everyone in draft have bonkers decks

I've had blink dagger like twice over thirty drafts

e: got a blink next draft bahaha complaining works

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Was randomly thinking about green and how they had no initiative cards and thought of a way they could get one that fit with their overall theme. They should get like a cheap 1/1 blocker, similar to the Martyr, that has a death effect of giving green initiative.

It works as a blocker, it's low in health and can be worked around with battlefield control.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something as simple as "Modify a unit with +2 attack, get initiative" would also fit green. Definitely agree they should get some kind of tool to deal with initiative.

I was reading https://www.artibuff.com/blog/2019-01-07-a-closer-look-at-mono-red-with-vinkelsier and noticed this:

In the closed beta, one of the Valve tournaments was something they were calling "Chaos Draft". Players were given a completely random 40 card deck.

God that mode sounds like it would have been a complete nightmare.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
There's a special place in Hell for people who are quiet when they're losing, and then spam messages when they're winning.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I never get rude or quiet people

The worst I've ever got is a "good luck" instead of a "well played" when my opponent was about to win

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Was randomly thinking about green and how they had no initiative cards and thought of a way they could get one that fit with their overall theme. They should get like a cheap 1/1 blocker, similar to the Martyr, that has a death effect of giving green initiative.

It works as a blocker, it's low in health and can be worked around with battlefield control.
Pretty easy to get around by using any card to kill it before combat phase, but if you wait until their mana's low, it could work well. Play it as close to the end as possible, and if you position it right you're guaranteed initiative on the next lane.

I like it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
And you call yourself a warrior.

:p

Unrelated:

I don't think people fully understand the depth of the Pass Turn/Initiative mechanic. Just played a Constructed game where, in Third Lane, my opponent used Assassin's Apprentice's ability when I had no units he could target - they just used the ability on my Tower, which it was going to hit anyway. In so doing, I passed turn first, and First Lane Initiative therefore fell to me, and helped me in my crushing victory (seriously, I could've killed his Ancient with over 100 damage, but stopped short at 92 :D ). They were level 5, too, so it's not like they were completely new to the game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess the game heard me complain about my first 5 packs containing pure crap. My 6th had an Axe.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJTEAIH0FvLsBKQFKuF2CZd0BQUYGDwSICgUcQxsOEAIrAkxLLgEF

perfect run in prize draft with this deck

just went as aggro as possible and then on turn 7 or 8 just double creep steal with Chen and Helm to take the game

I don't get a lot of bomb cards or heroes, but I do tend to draft a really solid base of commons and uncommons. Chen was a randomly generated hero and I purposely picked Dark Seer because of the conversation in this thread haha

e: holy shit my next draft was the absolute nuts. Mist of Avernus, Unearthed Secrets, Conflagration, 2x At Any Cost. Watch me go 0-2 with these insane pulls. Should have play J'muy over CM I think.

https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJWAAIH0-vAGDA0u4XYIj3QEJIQEJAQkLCAwHBAQIFQscOwFLDlMGDWUBTQ__

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty easy to get around by using any card to kill it before combat phase, but if you wait until their mana's low, it could work well. Play it as close to the end as possible, and if you position it right you're guaranteed initiative on the next lane.

I like it.

I was thinking there had to be some specific reason they didn't give green an initiative card, so I figured easier to play around or not an automatic get made it fit more. I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to give green an initiative, but I was just assuming they had some reason. Martyr being the only one with a real deth effect made me think it could tie in with that since it's also exclusive to green.

I'm expecting a lot more play and death effect cards in the first expansion.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
"Alas, poor Dark Seer! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy...

But, y'know, after awhile I needed someone with more heft. So I chucked him for Lycan. Sorry Dark Seer, but see yer, wouldn't want to be yer!"

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Pinco

Feb 16, 2018
Apologies in advance if this has been answered before, but do we know if we will be able to buy Call to Arms Card Packs after the end of the event? Thanks.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Apologies in advance if this has been answered before, but do we know if we will be able to buy Call to Arms Card Packs after the end of the event? Thanks.

They're the only packs that exist at the moment, so, yeah.

The new expansion / set hasn't even been announced yet.

EDIT: You're talking about the Call to Arms pre-constructed event that ends on 1/11, right?

Last edited:

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Is the meta now Mono Blue and cheese ramp decks(to counter Mono I assume), where if they have it you can barely do anything about it? Back to draft I guess, constructed isn't fun right now.

When's the next update?

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Is the meta now Mono Blue and cheese ramp decks(to counter Mono I assume), where if they have it you can barely do anything about it? Back to draft I guess, constructed isn't fun right now.

When's the next update?

Haha I'm actually on the other end and not having as much fun in Draft lately. Thinking of brewing some constructed.

Recently I'm feeling Draft without signaling and/or some sort of pod pools is just pile vs pile with whoever was more lucky.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can beat mono blue fairly consistently, but ramp is annoying as fuck. Getting ToT that early just fuck everything up.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's basically no counter to ToT, it's annoying. Honestly should have a downside like discarding your hand or something.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's basically no counter to ToT, it's annoying. Honestly should have a downside like discarding your hand or something.

It's too situational to really build around it, but I saw Load-stone barer used to counter ToT pretty nicely. Down to basically one lane and used a ToT on 3 heroes and pulled out Load-Stone for an instant 17 dmg to the tower for the win.

Here's actually another great clip of it being used, but not against ToT. You get the idea though.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
There should be an increased mana cost for ToT, if nothing else - 8 cost, when Incarnation of Selemene is 9 and Bolt of Damocles is 10 is just having a laugh.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, that's brilliant actually haha

What's makes it even better is just how behind the opponent was. The third lane had like 15 damage to go but he was doing about 40+ damage to it and it would have been the win. He blinked a treeant over there and was able to put down a roseleaf to restore 7 to the tower and block enough dmg to not be lethal. Immediately after that he did this and got the win.

It was honestly amazing.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Time of Trial is a weird one because I feel like it isn't broken at all if played at 8 mana, but accelerated it's so much more busted than Incarnation or Damocles.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
lol i thought this thread was dead, i wasnt getting notifications.

Damn i need to find some time to play

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad. I just cleared a guys lane 3 times in a row with Chain Frost. He was giving up initiative every time though, so not sure what his plan was.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just had a Death from Above vs. Green Machine match where I was gifted initiative for lane 1 on turn 7.

I got to Thundergod's Wrath, which sent his only hero in lane one to the fountain. Used Aghanim's Sanctum, and Wrath again, which killed all his remaining heroes in every lane. He conceded.

I like the preconstructed event. I wonder what they're going to replace it with on the 11th?

Messy

Oct 25, 2017
Going to the twitch page for this game and switching from livestreams to videos just brings up a bunch of full length movies ...
I just wanted to watch some Artifact VODs