• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing valve extend the Call to Arms cycle date without any word or communication is kind of a bummer. Even though it was only a 10 day extension a lot of people were looking at that date as a possible update deadline, since the last one was basically that. Changing it without any real word while the game is basically dying just seems like a weird stance.

Only real hope is the delay means it's a big update.

Pinco

Feb 16, 2018
They're the only packs that exist at the moment, so, yeah.

The new expansion / set hasn't even been announced yet.

EDIT: You're talking about the Call to Arms pre-constructed event that ends on 1/11, right?

Yes. I mean, on the main screen it says that the Call to Arms event "rotates" on the 11th.
Doesn't the word "rotates" imply that it will come back sooner or later as a featured event? Maybe they have some sort of storyline which is composed of 4-5 featured events that will rotate continuously. Like, examples:

1) Call to Arms
2) The Great War
3) Retribution
4) The Final Stand

Different events with different card sets.

I just would like to know if we will be able to purchase Call of Arms card packs after it's over as a feaured event...

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
its unlikely that they will rotate out call to arms packs so early. specially if there is no new expansion yet.
even if there was a new expansion there is no reason to rotate out the old packs because decks will often use cards from multiple sets and they would be leaving money on the table.

also the event was extended till the 21

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yes. I mean, on the main screen it says that the Call to Arms event "rotates" on the 11th.
Doesn't the word "rotates" imply that it will come back sooner or later as a featured event? Maybe they have some sort of storyline which is composed of 4-5 featured events that will rotate continuously. Like, examples:

1) Call to Arms
2) The Great War
3) Retribution
4) The Final Stand

Different events with different card sets.

I just would like to know if we will be able to purchase Call of Arms card packs after it's over as a feaured event...

As I said, the new expansion / set has not been announced.

I am 100% sure you'll be able to purchase Call to Arms packs after the current constructed event ends (on 1/21, now), simply because there are no new packs to replace them.

Messy

Oct 25, 2017
Had some pretty bad draft runs this week but also managed to do 2 perfect runs so overall I broke even ticket wise by recycling cards.

Was this script discussed here yet? Was pretty interesting to see stuff listed like this.
Artifact winrate script

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing valve extend the Call to Arms cycle date without any word or communication is kind of a bummer. Even though it was only a 10 day extension a lot of people were looking at that date as a possible update deadline, since the last one was basically that. Changing it without any real word while the game is basically dying just seems like a weird stance.

Only real hope is the delay means it's a big update.

That update better be straight up fire.

Otherwise this is shaping up to be pretty much what I would expect from Valve these days and that's just not good enough.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about a week into the game. I've actually only been playing the preconstructed gauntlet and after 15 hours I think I'm starting to really grok a few viable strategies.

I'm thinking of buying the full set now and start building sets for constructed games. But I'm wondering if it makes more sense economically to wait until I get all my free packs and fill up the rest. I'm level 8 and it should take me about 4-5 weeks to reach level 16. But I'm not sure if the cost of a set will rise in those 5 weeks (or drop further ;) ). Right now it's about $90 to buy everything else I need.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm about a week into the game. I've actually only been playing the preconstructed gauntlet and after 15 hours I think I'm starting to really grok a few viable strategies.

I'm thinking of buying the full set now and start building sets for constructed games. But I'm wondering if it makes more sense economically to wait until I get all my free packs and fill up the rest. I'm level 8 and it should take me about 4-5 weeks to reach level 16. But I'm not sure if the cost of a set will rise in those 5 weeks (or drop further ;) ). Right now it's about $90 to buy everything else I need.

Glad you're enjoying Artifact. :)

If you're going to play constructed, you might just be better off buying the cards you need to play the exact decks you want.

A full collection doesn't really get you anything, other than checking the boxes. You can already browse through the full set, whether they're a part of your collection or not.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The Skill Rating seems utterly pointless. Is it even possible to lose a rank? Seems like it's essentially only tracking wins.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The Skill Rating seems utterly pointless. Is it even possible to lose a rank? Seems like it's essentially only tracking wins.

They explicitly say you don't lose rank during the season, and that it resets to zero at the start of a new season:
During a season, once you've earned a skill rating, you'll never lose it. In a few months, a new season will begin, and ratings will reset – giving you a fresh opportunity to prove your skill.

(From the general Artifact product page at: https://playartifact.com/buildyourlegend )

Near as I can tell, it's designed on the assumption that the more you play, the better you get, so it matches you against players of a similar ranking. Which makes sense, and seems about right (I'm Skill Rank 30, and I'm being matched against better players now than when I was 10 or 15).

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

I'm almost 100% certain that both the rank and the leveling system were basically rushed in as a stop gap. The player base was plummeting and they were about to go on a two week break for holidays. Why not focus on two easy quick fixes that everyone seems to want just to buy time until you get back in the office and figure something out that's more long term?

I mean, you can't pick icons of lower levels once you unlock new ones...
The ranking seems more like another xp bar than an actual rank.

I just can't help but think these were quick fixes to hold over for the holiday and stop the bleeding.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah the ranking is basically a cap, you get a rank up every two times you win until... you stop. And that's your skill for the season. Most of the pros just hit the 70s and then there's nothing for them to do from there.

I play for like an hour a day, I probably won't even get time to hit my skill cap by the end of the season, I'm only at 12 at the moment.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the ranking is basically a cap, you get a rank up every two times you win until... you stop. And that's your skill for the season. Most of the pros just hit the 70s and then there's nothing for them to do from there.

I play for like an hour a day, I probably won't even get time to hit my skill cap by the end of the season.

I've seen people rank 70 play accounts that are only like level 4 and 5. There's no way the matchmaking is even taking it into account. It's kind of hilarious like they just said fuck it, you guys want to "rank up", here you go!

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
wtf how does that even work?

I saw a level 25 account the other day. How much time are people spending on this game

I've sunk 93 hours in total into the game, but probably only 20 or 30 since the rank/skill update. It's replaced CS:GO and Hexcells Infinite as something I'll play whilst watching episodes of TV series I've seen before, and that's mentally challenging but not too stressful. Will probably start listening to podcasts whilst playing it, soon... All that said, I'm only Level 10 or 11.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
wtf how does that even work?

I saw a level 25 account the other day. How much time are people spending on this game

I've not really seen too high of levels. Maybe 20's the highest I've seen, but a lot of people seem to be up to rank 71 pretty easily and then it stalls and doesn't move at all.

I've put around 100 hours in and I'm level 12 or 13. Rank 27 I think.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm 55 hours, level 11 and draft rank 13. I only play draft and Call to Arms.

No way I could watch TV or play podcasts while playing though, this ain't Hearthstone, I like to think out each play.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you're enjoying Artifact. :)

If you're going to play constructed, you might just be better off buying the cards you need to play the exact decks you want.

A full collection doesn't really get you anything, other than checking the boxes. You can already browse through the full set, whether they're a part of your collection or not.

Good point. I'm was thinking from the point of view that I like to tinker with my decks, so I'll end up buying most of the cards anyway.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sitting at 13 and 35 atm. Not being able to rank down makes it not stressful at all.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm happy about that timer. The last few games, I had +12 minutes and my opponents are at 3 or 4 minutes. You have three cards, make a decision ffs.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone getting a connection error after the new patch? Mine says "Failed to confirm connectivity to any Artifact data center. Check your Internet connection" whever I try to join any match. I have tried abandoning my gauntlet, reinstalling the game, etc. None of it fixed the issue.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone getting a connection error after the new patch? Mine says "Failed to confirm connectivity to any Artifact data center. Check your Internet connection" whever I try to join any match. I have tried abandoning my gauntlet, reinstalling the game, etc. None of it fixed the issue.
booted up, seems fine for me

Feb 16, 2018
the old timer didn't even give you any time to think about a decision

so i guess the logical solution is to make them shorter 🤔

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting it too. Sucks.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in two minds about the timer. It's frustrating to have an opponent spend 30 seconds in round 1 trying to think of any way that their Hero won't die, which is literally impossible, because if they had the card to prevent it, they would've played it already. On the flip-side, late-game with 10 or 12 mana, an Aghanim's in one lane and 8 cards in hand, you need time to work out the optimal strategy. So... Eh. Haven't tried it yet, though.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just played a draft against someone who drew 3x Assassinate, 3x Mystic Flare and 2x Eclipse and I still fucking beat them

Mostly because they screwed up and placed a minion down for my Helm that gave me lethal tho lol, I was getting my ass kicked generally

uhnomoli

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really have anything to base this on, but I feel like Artifact uses the same ranking system as Dota 2. Your rank is just the highest you've hit in the season, but there's an internal MMR that can and does decrease. All the pros getting stuck in the 70s seems like the equivalent of Dota 2 pros in pubs, though amplified due to the much smaller playerbase. Can't really base anything off of profile rank as that's really only achieved through spamming games.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm not sure what the point of the draft skill rank is. I assume it's not being used for matchmaking because it would make way more sense to match based off of win/loss in the current run. It's a number that goes up and never goes down, so it's just a track of how many wins you are getting? Seems entirely pointless.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the connection failure is happening a bunch on MacOS clients post-patch. Valve's getting it figured out at least.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I won it.

https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJZoAPrgCBA+RT3hdAS3dAUYKIwEMDAEDDwwSBgICBAsjAR0IBAQHDQMQAVMRFQEF

Here's my deck. I was getting wrecked early game. Multiple turns with almost everyone down. Once I got to 6 mana I took control. He seemed to buy all weapons with all the money he was making so I was able to assassinate and Thundergod's at will. Guy was giving away initiative for no reason, missing heals and not buying cloaks. I am shocked I won, but he seemed to really miss a lot of chances.

At one point he literally gave up initiative just to shoot my thunderhide with a keenfolk rifle for 2 damage when he has 14 hp lol.

I'd be furious if i had that guys deck and lost.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Holy shit I won it.

https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJZoAPrgCBA+RT3hdAS3dAUYKIwEMDAEDDwwSBgICBAsjAR0IBAQHDQMQAVMRFQEF

Here's my deck. I was getting wrecked early game. Multiple turns with almost everyone down. Once I got to 6 mana I took control. He seemed to buy all weapons with all the money he was making so I was able to assassinate and Thundergod's at will. Guy was giving away initiative for no reason, missing heals and not buying cloaks. I am shocked I won, but he seemed to really miss a lot of chances.

At one point he literally gave up initiative just to shoot my thunderhide with a keenfolk rifle for 2 damage when he has 14 hp lol.

I'd be furious if i had that guys deck and lost.
Shit, well played. Some people really don't seem to understand the initiative system for some reason. I know the tutorial wasn't great at explaining it, but come on! Glance at the top left once in a while!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just ran up against an Axe/PA/Drow/Bounty in draft. Pretty sure I could not have won that game from the jump.
Duuuude I just came up against a Axe/Drow/Lycan/Beastmaster and was like fuck there's no way I could win

And I didn't, I lost. But I managed to get it to last a long time and got close to lethal. Thought back on things and I actually could've won if I thought two turns ahead and played around a second Berserker's Call