• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Where's a real challenge?
If only I could do that in prize.

DE8622CAAA38B6CBEE647A44C5F4673CB72CE726

When you play a bunch of mono blue and R/U decks, mono reds just poops on them all.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Phew just finished watching. That was intense. Great tournament overall.

The luck couldn't save Swim forever. Maggo took it clean.

Petrify looks so unprofessional with all of these salty clapping
That was good. I don't get the point in having the cameras if the players are just sitting there doing absolutely nothing. You can tell Swim wants to say things sometimes but knows it's pointless.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, I would rather it have been the commentators' faces displayed than the players because 90% of the players are emotionless barely moving statues with untidy bedrooms in the background.

Great tourney though, really enjoyed it and my god, Slacks should get some recognition from Valve for his enthusiasm for the game and its community. One of the other commentators, Panda, literally said while commentating that he has no excitement for Artifact. That's just unprofessional and disappointing to hear honestly.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So where would upcoming cash prize tournament news be in the future? Do I have to start having Twitch on in the background to find out about this kind of thing (plsgodsayno)?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So where would upcoming cash prize tournament news be in the future? Do I have to start having Twitch on in the background to find out about this kind of thing (plsgodsayno)?
It's disappointing, Valve isn't announcing shit
Twitter @wykrhm is supposed to handle the Dota related soc media, but he's basically not tweeting anything for Artifact.
I guess they forgot the @playartifact account password
jfc last tweet Dec21

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Twitter @wykrhm is supposed to handle the Dota related soc media, but he's basically not tweeting anything for Artifact.
jfc last tweet Dec21

Yeah I started following Wykrhm because he tweeted a couple Artifact things then all of a sudden that stopped.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Hit level 16 and with that my last pack rewards. Wanted to buy the rest of the cards after that, but I don't feel rewarding a month of radio silence by Valve.

They better have something meaningful cooking that they can release before the month is over.

Overall the first expansion is gonna make or brake it for me. Will probably a good snapshot of where the game is going, both in gameplay and support.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
jfc last tweet Dec21

Man, I couldn't remember if I was even following @wykrhm (turns out I am), he's been that quiet.

Cheers, I'll bookmark it and check it every few days.

Hit level 16 and with that my last pack rewards. Wanted to buy the rest of the cards after that, but I don't feel rewarding a month of radio silence by Valve.

They better have something meaningful cooking that they can release before the month is over.

Overall the first expansion is gonna make or brake it for me. Will probably a good snapshot of where the game is going, both in gameplay and support.

Mostly feel the same, even down to just hitting 16 - I was hoping my last three packs would at least give me a ToT, but noooooooo... Not feeling like spending the local equivalent of, what, 15 bucks just to make a Red deck when there's no guarantee I''ll even be playing it in 6 months. That's money I could put towards Sekiro.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Ah. For me that's the same as being silent - only reason I followed him was for Artifact talk, so I guess I just skipped over whatever Dota tweets he made without realising it.

Yeah, he tweeted a lot the last couple days because of the TI doc that came out and some Dota tourney. I had notifications on for him and had to turn it off lol

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I beat MyGoodMate. Time to go pro.

FDBF06226C0D4FBEC75A0873B9FF489C007DE6E6

8B2A9C90B76C0F79B0E16A268C16B2AF2A246426

I had initiative, so I just Enough Magic the first board. That way he couldn't take the tower that turn or try some black shenanigans. Then a simple ToT and a Bronze Legion to block that four damage on the second board.

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The Giant Bombcast got an interesting email this week that supposedly has some insider info at Valve.

Supposedly Garfield and other ex-Magic people are all gone as of late last week. Could not be all that big a deal as he probably just designed the game and gave insight on the first expansion and was out anyways. But still could be an actual good thing?

Email was anonymous but Giant Bomb kind of has a history with some pretty accurate anonymous emails being sent in. Who knows, thought it was interesting though.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
That's expected, isn't that what Garfield does? Make a new game and move on.

Anyway it would be nice if Valve started to communicate, stuff like: first expansion is coming in X month(giving a wide timeline in case there's hiccups), btw that Million dollar tournament is still happening, we are working on X bug or adding x feature. Radio silence is leaving me disappointed...

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I guess by "in it for the long haul", Valve meant in it until next month.

The complete lack of communication or meaningful updates on a game that is near-death is absolutely bizarre.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's expected, isn't that what Garfield does? Make a new game and move on.

Anyway it would be nice if Valve started to communicate, stuff like: first expansion is coming in X month(giving a wide timeline in case there's hiccups), btw that Million dollar tournament is still happening, we are working on X bug or adding x feature. Radio silence is leaving me disappointed...

Pretty much. It's the same with Keyforge and that game is a huge success. He will probably return for the first few expansions though.

Feb 16, 2018
what original multiplayer games has valve made by themselves?

counterstrike / dota / team fortress / left 4 dead all originated externally

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess by "in it for the long haul", Valve meant in it until next month.

The complete lack of communication or meaningful updates on a game that is near-death is absolutely bizarre.
Prolly get info dump next week after the Dota Major

We are also expecting a new MMR reset of Dota in January
If we get to February without a peep then I would be worried

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
what original multiplayer games has valve made by themselves?

counterstrike / dota / team fortress / left 4 dead all originated externally

iirc, CS:GO was developed by Hidden Path and Valve, but Valve took over completely after the initial release fell flat, with tons of complaints from players. It's why I'm not counting Artifact out yet - CS:GO at release and CS:GO 6 months after release were already different games.

Level 16, no more rewards for me. RIP.

Yeah. On the one hand boo, no more rewards. On the other, I'm back to just playing because I enjoy the gameplay loop. Last night my wife asked me a question and I completely forgot about the game I was playing for a good couple of minutes. Still almost won, but because I wasn't stressing about levelling up, I just shrugged.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah after I finish my dailies I'll be hitting level 16, it was a good run.

It's not like I've touched constructed yet and probably won't until we get more word from Valve.

e: dropped into Trunkroll's (lol) stream and he came up against a deck in draft which had Drow, PA, Sniper and double Axe lmao.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Potential update today or tomorrow

Not expecting much until early next month probably. They're either putting big changes together or uh... not.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they are all watching Dota at the moment, so expectations are super low.

I actually wonder if they are already focused on a semi-relaunch. No update is gonna fix things long term, if they continue to run the game like they did this month.

But then again it's Valve, maybe that is indeed all we'll ever get.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
But then again it's Valve, maybe that is indeed all we'll ever get.

I find applying this attitude to Valve games weird. Every game they've released, they've supported for at least a year, I think, whether it's fixes or actual content. With some having support that's gone above-and-beyond what any other dev would do - CS:GO, for example, got a Battle Royale update at Christmas, which was no small thing.

I do understand that people float around Valve doing what they fancy, but ascribing to the company the same mentality to games as they have for the Steam client or store is just odd. Which isn't to say that they won't just ignore Artifact and let it die, just that there's no previous experience of them doing that to a game.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
"ohhhh wooooo... I'm really quite drunk! Let's play Artifact! Yeah! That makes sense!!!111!!"

*wins at Mana Turn 7, Lane 2.*

Yeah, fuck this noise. I legit want to run in proper tournaments, because I'm so drunk, and I can still wipe the floor using this deck. Soz people who're my opponents, but yer basic.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
"ohhhh wooooo... I'm really quite drunk! Let's play Artifact! Yeah! That makes sense!!!111!!"

*wins at Mana Turn 7, Lane 2.*

Yeah, fuck this noise. I legit want to run in proper tournaments, because I'm so drunk, and I can still wipe the floor using this deck. Soz people who're my opponents, but yer basic.

That's a whoooole lot of cards to not have any blue card draw lol

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone interested in the Tournament aspect of Artifact from the perspective of the commentators and production I would highly recommend the newest Artifact Podcast episode. The whole first 40 minutes so far has been about the We Play tourney and there's some good talk of how they could see Draft Tournaments working out or how they'd like to see them done.

Good insight.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
That's a whoooole lot of cards to not have any blue card draw lol

Yeah, I was dithering about adding a couple of Foresights, but currently it's amazingly consistent - I get the cards I need, roughly when I need them. There's been, like, 1 game in the past week where I needed an Echo Slam but I didn't draw it in time. Every other game I've lost, it's because I was just outplayed (one person did 81 damage to the Ancient in one round, for instance, and I didn't see it coming, so didn't place a Hero there at the start of round).

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Lord... Lobbygg is, well, "barebones" is polite. And an exaggeration.

So, there's an upcoming Artifact tourney. Mixture of Constructed (woo!) and Draft (you wot mate? I've not even touched Draft yet. :( ). Registration is via Lobbygg.

Lobbygg has no Twitter, no Facebook, no Discord, their live(ish) chat support don't work weekends, and there's not a single word - not one - about non-US registrations. Which I wouldn't care about, except their registration process requires a US phone number. It limits characters to the length of a US number, and auto-formats as US.

Registered anyways, and sent them an email, just in case they should have some legal mumbo-jumbo up about limiting to Continental US. I'm legit surprised that their website is live.

Edit:

"May as well sign up on the waitlist"
"Name? Does it mean actual name? Player handle? What?"

That website is shit for newbies. Absolute shit.

Last edited:

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy the challenge of constructing decks, and I'm trying to make a competitive rainbow deck. So far, I've settled on Axe, LC, Kanna and Drow. I'm trying to decide which black hero card to put in. I've tried PA but I don't think she fits. The deck plays like ramp/control and PA probably fits better in an aggro deck.

I'm debating between Lich, Tinker or Sniper.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe it's my skill rating, but my wait times are starting to get long. Plus I'll just play the same person multiple times in a row.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's my skill rating, but my wait times are starting to get long. Plus I'll just play the same person multiple times in a row.

Yeah, I wasn't really getting much of this early on when people were talking about it, but in the last week it's gotten much worse. I don't know if it's me getting to a certain rank or what. Think I'm low 40s?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the challenge of constructing decks, and I'm trying to make a competitive rainbow deck. So far, I've settled on Axe, LC, Kanna and Drow. I'm trying to decide which black hero card to put in. I've tried PA but I don't think she fits. The deck plays like ramp/control and PA probably fits better in an aggro deck.

I'm debating between Lich, Tinker or Sniper.

I'd narrow it to either Tinker or Sniper, and personally I'd choose Sniper. I feel Assassinate is better than March of the Machines, and Sniper's 5 damage to an enemy is marginally better than Tinker's 3 and Stun - the chance of outright killing an enemy is more useful than just stunning it for a round.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I'd narrow it to either Tinker or Sniper, and personally I'd choose Sniper. I feel Assassinate is better than March of the Machines, and Sniper's 5 damage to an enemy is marginally better than Tinker's 3 and Stun - the chance of outright killing an enemy is more useful than just stunning it for a round.

Yeah, I've tried Lich and Tinker so far. I haven't found much synergy with either. Tinker feels too squishy and I haven't really seen many opponents go wide (which is where March of the Machines' has maximal utility IMO, otherwise, it's not that great). Lich's Chain Frost feels a little too situational and I haven't found the right 5 or so cards to splash with him.

Funny enough, I played a bunch more with PA and I'm starting to like her as a splash. The ability to Gank and Pick Off across lanes gives her a lot of versatility in a deck where the ability to play cards of a given color in any lane is so restrictive. It also occurred to me that I may be playing PA wrong by having her on the flop. I might move Kanna to the flop, move PA to the turn and have Drow on the river instead.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Had someone over the weekend play The Oath like turn 2 with nothing but one hero and one creep there. He ended up having to keep putting heroes there that the other two lanes pretty much fell easily.

The person was like level 19 too. I was completely confused. I just blocked it with one hero and took the other two towers easily.