• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean they're telling us what we already knew, more or less. They should have said it earlier but eh. People expecting an announcement of reboot plans are going to have to wait though because obviously they won't have anything ready to share soon.

If it's true that Source 2 can't work on mobile and they have to port to Unity then yeah I expect it to take a long time. They have to go full reboot. More platforms, new monetization, gameplay adjustments, etc.

Feb 16, 2018
confirmation that it's being rebooted and not abandoned is good

the game is basically 3 good ideas and 3 bad ideas and mostly just lacking in content (which is okay for just having 1 set). it's very fixable

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the game. It's fun and designed quite well. It just had an extremely poor launch, there are a number of things they could have done better.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if Valve thought the game just had poor monetization and structure, they would have fixed all that with patches. The fact that they are "re-examining" the game design suggests they feel the problems runs deeper. Though that could just mean card design and not mechanics.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying looking at anything talking about this game because it's largely people that seem to not understand the issues with the game. All you see immediately is "Go FTP!" "Stop the Pay2Win!"

Those can add to the issues, but they aren't just going to magically fix the game.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Has it seriously been over a month since anyone posted anything about this game?

I wonder how long we should give them before we declare it half life 3'd. Like is there any value in releasing it 2022?

It would be pretty insulting if the small updates in the first three months of the game was litterally all the post launch support they end up releasing for it.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Games has less than 200 players, not much to talk about.

They're going to relaunch the game, the question is just when

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I've still been playing - now at Constructed rank 70 - but it's frustrating. All the top-tier decks are in prize-play, which means in order to test my deck "properly" I have to waste a ticket. My Black/Blue is hovering at 40-42 cards, but it consistently falls just a little short. :/

But, yeah, low player base, and I expect no updates for at least a couple of months.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is Gwent? I tried to play it within The Witcher but it was so confusing to me that I never picked it the standalone game up.

Probably for the best in this case because the standalone Gwent is radically different from the in game incarnation from the Witcher games. 2 rows, less focus on card advantage, more interesting card effects. It's a proper card game now but very little was retained from its original format I think, for better or worse.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably for the best in this case because the standalone Gwent is radically different from the in game incarnation from the Witcher games. 2 rows, less focus on card advantage, more interesting card effects. It's a proper card game now but very little was retained from its original format I think, for better or worse.
Yeah this, it's a really cool game and very different from your average tcg, but it's only similar on a surface level to the TW3 Gwent, which I think is a FANTASTIC game but is very ill suited to being a TCG, hence all the changes.

TW3 Gwent is very very much a 'simple' game that has some super obvious and easy ways to break it, without much room for cards that do wild and crazy things.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Look I wouldn't expect anything Artifact related in 2019 at this point

How is Gwent? I tried to play it within The Witcher but it was so confusing to me that I never picked it the standalone game up.
I'm playing Gwent while Artifact is in hibernation, it's okay but I don't love it. There's a few ways in which the game is strong, deck building is better than most games because you've got a limit of good cards in your deck that's balanced by how effective your hero is. Every deck has to run a variety of different cards and power levels. Strategically it can be quite satisfying if you know the match ups. But it's also a horrible grind at the start, the starter decks are terrible and they nerf cards way too much and you don't get refunded the currency you spent to craft them (unlike Hearthstone). I've been playing for a little over two months and at the end of each month they've nerfed my deck meaning I lost weeks worth of progress and have to start over again. It's miserable.

I'm going to get all the achievements and probably switch over to Magic Arena. I don't love Magic either but it's the one game you can always rely on to stick around.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

What about Thronebreaker?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a time-zone thing, since I'm in Malaysia I'm awake for a lot of the Chinese players. But anyways...

Yes, there's a low player-base. But I've found there's a definite consistency in the players who are left, in that I've played multiple times every day this past week, and only twice have I not been able to find a game. Though this is also Constructed, so that might affect things. And for sure it's tough, because so many of the decks are tough as nails. But for anyone who enjoys the gameplay loop - and damn if there's not some enjoyment to be had from coming out on top - I wouldn't be afraid of dipping back into the game now-and-then. That was how I got back into it - too tired for The Council, Sekiro or Wandersong (my current other games on the go) I just loaded it up to see if I could grab a quick game, and found a match within a few seconds.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I'm not sure if it's a time-zone thing, since I'm in Malaysia I'm awake for a lot of the Chinese players. But anyways...

Yes, there's a low player-base. But I've found there's a definite consistency in the players who are left, in that I've played multiple times every day this past week, and only twice have I not been able to find a game. Though this is also Constructed, so that might affect things. And for sure it's tough, because so many of the decks are tough as nails. But for anyone who enjoys the gameplay loop - and damn if there's not some enjoyment to be had from coming out on top - I wouldn't be afraid of dipping back into the game now-and-then. That was how I got back into it - too tired for The Council, Sekiro or Wandersong (my current other games on the go) I just loaded it up to see if I could grab a quick game, and found a match within a few seconds.
You only need one other player to find a match.

Maybe sometimes the queues are long and skill levels might not match as well, but worries about not being able to ever find a match were always overstated by people who have probably never played a low playerbase multiplayer game.

Infinite Crisis was my favorite game that failed miserably, but I could still always get a 5v5 with online players only in the double digits.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
After picking up MTGA, I don't really have any desire to go back even if/when they fix the game.

I think it lost too much steam by now. It just needs a full on reboot.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
I've moved on to Magic Arena as well but I do miss having free drafts.

In Magic Arena, I can only do drafts every 4-5 days after grinding out the daily quests.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Something i could see happening in Artifact 2, is having all cards available for every player (beyond draft of course) and them just selling cosmetic versions of cards, like dota 2 heroes.

Which, knowing Valve, would mean people that own 1.0 cards would get highly exclusive bullshit as an apology.

I'm speculating on this at least, sitting here, with my complete collection and no game to play them with.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something i could see happening in Artifact 2, is having all cards available for every player (beyond draft of course) and them just selling cosmetic versions of cards, like dota 2 heroes.

Which, knowing Valve, would mean people that own 1.0 cards would get highly exclusive bullshit as an apology.

I'm speculating on this at least, sitting here, with my complete collection and no game to play them with.
I gotta think they go 3D and just use Dota 2 cosmetics or some kind of Harry Potter animated video cards.
Maybe the base game is 2D and the cosmetics allow for 3D.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The Reborn version would need to be better than Artifact and Autochess, which is an amazingly difficult task.
Finding someway to link all 3 games would be my idea.

Doesn't Magic have some narrative line running through all its expansions now? Perhaps do the same thing with Artifact, and use it as a stepping-stone to push the Dota story places.

I caved and bought the last of the cards I needed. Using the word "needed" loosely though - I think 2 of every card is enough, with some exceptions, so I don't have a "complete" set but I do have one that's complete enough. And now I finally have Axe, I might seriously look at a Red/Green or Red/Black deck.

Oh, if anyone cares, this is my current deck: https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJ...LVGVzdCAtIEJsYWNrL0JsdWUvR3JlZW4gNDEgQ2FyZA__

Black/Blue/Green, 41 cards. It works well, but isn't quite perfect. The Mana curve occasionally screws me, as more than once I've had 2 or 3 6 and 7 cost Signature cards in my opening hand.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Magic have some narrative line running through all its expansions now? Perhaps do the same thing with Artifact, and use it as a stepping-stone to push the Dota story places.

I caved and bought the last of the cards I needed. Using the word "needed" loosely though - I think 2 of every card is enough, with some exceptions, so I don't have a "complete" set but I do have one that's complete enough. And now I finally have Axe, I might seriously look at a Red/Green or Red/Black deck.

Oh, if anyone cares, this is my current deck: https://www.playartifact.com/d/ADCJ...LVGVzdCAtIEJsYWNrL0JsdWUvR3JlZW4gNDEgQ2FyZA__

Black/Blue/Green, 41 cards. It works well, but isn't quite perfect. The Mana curve occasionally screws me, as more than once I've had 2 or 3 6 and 7 cost Signature cards in my opening hand.
yoink, I will copy that

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Fun fact, the creative writing staff for Artifact included longtime Telltale alum and The Walking Dead lead writer Sean Vanaman, longtime Valve writers and Portal 2 co-writers Jay Pinkerton and Erik Wolpaw, and long time Saints Row writer and Saints Row The Third lead writer Steve Jaros.

They gave flavor text and lore an honest attempt the first go around and I think they did the best they could do with the ultra bland and boring Dota universe. How much can you really expect from a literal Warcraft bootleg.

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact, the creative writing staff for Artifact included longtime Telltale alum and The Walking Dead lead writer Sean Vanaman, longtime Valve writers and Portal 2 co-writers Jay Pinkerton and Erik Wolpaw, and long time Saints Row writer and Saints Row The Third lead writer Steve Jaros.

They gave flavor text and lore an honest attempt the first go around and I think they did the best they could do with the ultra bland and boring Dota universe. How much can you really expect from a literal Warcraft bootleg.

The extra card stuff is by far one of the best things in the game. From art, to design, to writing and voice acting.

Never played dota and never cared about the lore but there was a few times where servers were down or something and I'd just go through the cards and listen to the stories and check out the art.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know nothing about my animes.
tenor.gif

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

To be fair Warcraft is just a Warhammer bootleg...