• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
guys arthas is a super cool and unique character with a never before seen arc please respect the warcraft

tenor.gif
Never seen it! What is it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Seems the new meta (or at least new against me) is waiting out the opponent until you can afford Vesture of the Tyrant, and then "One For Me" it onto as many heroes as possible.

Which is just crappy. I've won against decks that do it (Coup de Grace works wonders against it), but it just turns the game into a war of attrition, because Vesture gives 3 Armor, 3 Tower Armor and Rapid Deployment, so it's just taking ages to whittle the Tower down by 3 or 4 per turn, or hope you can Coup De Grace your way to winning quickly enough. I've surrendered multiple games where it's turned out the deck is based around Vesture, simply because it's so boring.

I really think it's an OP card, considering the superficially-better-but-actually-worse Horn of the Alpha costs 6 more.

Edit: Vesture is also a self-fulfilling prophecy of cheese. People play with it, and the opponents they beat realise how good it is, so they add it to their decks, and the opponents they play and beat realise how good it is and add it to their decks... Like, must be 8 of the past 10 decks I've played against have had at least one in. I think I may have to stop playing for awhile, since playing against decks with Vesture isn't fun, and I don't find it a fun card to play. It's not like Annihilation, where you have to time its use, it's just "Here's this card that prevents damage to the hero, the tower, and, oh, yeah, if you kill the hero it returns next round". There's no... nuance, no skill.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I ran a Vesture deck and it was hard countered by aggro. Mono black destroyed it.

Hmmm... Fair enough. I am running 3 colours right now, so maybe it's just a weakness of my deck. Still seems like it's a bit OP, but *shrugs* not like complaining is going to do anything soon.

Also, idle thought: Given the low player base and Valve reworking the game, what are the odds some of the players out there are Valve employees? Or would they be running games against each-other purely on the internal test build?

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've got a Green/Black Payday deck that just throws down a bunch of Horn of the Alphas early game and ramps into Emissaries and Thunderhide Packs. I think it'd do well against the list you mentioned.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Artifact on mobile! (oops, here comes the ban. :p )

Steam Link for iOS is out, and the new Steam client Beta has this as part of the update:

Steam In-Home Streaming is experimentally available outside the home, and is now known as Steam Remote Play. Your Steam clients can now stream games from each other wherever they are, as long as there is a good network connection on both sides and they are close to a Steam datacenter

I'm actually wondering how Artifact will play streamed. My iPhone 7 screen may be too small, but my older model iPad Pro is probably perfect, so I'll try it out later. :)

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Something i could see happening in Artifact 2, is having all cards available for every player (beyond draft of course) and them just selling cosmetic versions of cards, like dota 2 heroes.

Which, knowing Valve, would mean people that own 1.0 cards would get highly exclusive bullshit as an apology.

I'm speculating on this at least, sitting here, with my complete collection and no game to play them with.
I dunno I'll think they'll give you some stupid golden thing that will end up being stupid expensive on the market and then you just have a free Max's head. 60 bucks for your card buying!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't think think Valve owes early adopters that much, I feel like I got more than enough value for money, but they should probably be generous if they want to lure people back. Like $20 worth of credit on whatever new Artifact is is fine.

e: also I tried it on Steam Link on iPad and it seems to work really well except for some weird drift where my cursor was always floating down to the bottom right. Don't know how to fix that. I don't know why it even has gyro mouse controls. I fucking hate big picture too

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that sort of describe the origin of WarCraft as well? :D
To be fair Warcraft is just a Warhammer bootleg...
I mean, tongue in cheek or not, surely we can agree there's a difference between 'stylistically similar' like Warcraft and Warhammer were at the outset and "Literally a game based on using 100% another companies assets"

Like, Warcraft diverged from Warhammer pretty quickly, aside from the general look of the orcs themselves in those early games. DOTA literally went from using exact blizzard art to using valve art that looked like budget blizzard art and took years to start genuinely shaking that. So, it's not hard to see why a game that is literally a hodge podge of blizzard designed characters (generic ones, at that, rather than actual heroes like league of legends) fighting over a river is not exactly a setting ripe for lore.

Doesn't mean they can't do it, but it does mean that they'd probably have been better served simply not using Dota as a setting since nobody that played dota cared about the setting to begin with.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, tongue in cheek or not, surely we can agree there's a difference between 'stylistically similar' like Warcraft and Warhammer were at the outset and "Literally a game based on using 100% another companies assets"

Like, Warcraft diverged from Warhammer pretty quickly, aside from the general look of the orcs themselves in those early games. DOTA literally went from using exact blizzard art to using valve art that looked like budget blizzard art and took years to start genuinely shaking that. So, it's not hard to see why a game that is literally a hodge podge of blizzard designed characters (generic ones, at that, rather than actual heroes like league of legends) fighting over a river is not exactly a setting ripe for lore.

Doesn't mean they can't do it, but it does mean that they'd probably have been better served simply not using Dota as a setting since nobody that played dota cared about the setting to begin with.

tbh I wouldn't really describe Dota's art style as "budget Blizzard", if anything it feels like the opposite

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it was indeed tongue in cheek :) That having been said reducing the dota art to budget Blizzard feels to reductive to me.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I wouldn't really describe Dota's art style as "budget Blizzard", if anything it feels like the opposite
I mean, when you're literally just ripping the designs wholesale and changing them about as much as those third party cash in "ALADDIN" direct to video movies when I was a kid, I call it budget.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but no but yeah but no only 6 people work at Volvo lol.

More seriously, I didn't have any doubts they were different teams, but good to see confirmation.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I thought valve has an open office where employees can switch teams however they want? 🤔

That's what they've said in the past. But I assume there's some mandate about how there has to be a team working on X game if it's a currently supported title, so there will always be a team on TF2 until they retire it, CS:GO until they retire it, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought valve has an open office where employees can switch teams however they want? 🤔
I believe this is still correct, the caveat iirc is that your "results" give a bonus multiplier to your salary.

So you can make $200k or whatever the base Valve salary is, but to get internal stock and bonus multipliers you have to be on profit making team/projects.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Artifact team is working on Artifact
Auto Chess team is working on Auto Chess
Ez pz

.....it was a joke?

He asked if the artifact team was still working on artifact and just got an answer of it being two different teams. It kind of avoids the part about still working on artifact. But obviously the answer is just sticking to the crux of the question of if the artifact team is working on auto chess.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
.....it was a joke?

He asked if the artifact team was still working on artifact and just got an answer of it being two different teams. It kind of avoids the part about still working on artifact. But obviously the answer is just sticking to the crux of the question of if the artifact team is working on auto chess.

My joke radar was faulty. I have a team of people on the way to fix it though.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I still play this game.
:(

Me too. I've mostly got a deck I'll stick to, now. It still fails hard sometimes, but that's a split between bad choices from me (which I can live with), and the RNG on Hero Deployment screwing me over (which is frustrating, but nothing can be done). I don't have any tickets to see how it runs in Prize Play, but since you can only buy them in blocks of 5, and for the cost of that in Malaysia I can buy a game, I won't be doing Prize until there's news on how they're rebooting it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I've got to stop relying on the third lane to win. As the first tower to take out, it doesn't work too badly, but attempting it as the second tower means opponents can delay and delay whilst pushing against other lanes.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Just logged into Twitch. Saw Artifact @9.7k viewers

Good God I need Jesus.