• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Nier Automata would be regarded as such a masterpiece if it didn't have a sex doll protagonist? Every time 2B comes up it really seems like people are just about T&A more than anything else. I played it and thought it was mediocre

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cum gets brownish after a while I think. There was a picture of a guy that came on a My Little Pony figure every day for a year and it looked like slightly burnt pizza color-wise.

3XiKMch.gif

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Nier Automata would be regarded as such a masterpiece if it didn't have a sex doll protagonist? Every time 2B comes up it really seems like people are just about T&A more than anything else. I played it and thought it was mediocre

People think the previous is a masterpiece and it's main character was a rough old man.

Cum gets brownish after a while I think. There was a picture of a guy that came on a My Little Pony figure every day for a year and it looked like slightly burnt pizza color-wise.

9GHfl2cFIVtvNN6Mj2yYUgNaeBaeapKwLTwO7Z1LaER7gqJBIgBVYL_6ATykeRT65BT-fw

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gameplay was meh (honestly, the multiple playthrough thing really sucked) and the story was uh, fine? So to your question, I think that's one of the big draws yes.

Also, that statue is definitely getting fucked. If it hasn't been already. Good lord; I appreciate the artistry, but come on.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Yes? Nier 1 has a cult following.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. The writing in both Nier games is fantastic. Taro is fantastic in doing great subversive writing in his games. The music and the writing are the two main draws of the series for me. 2B being cute as heck is just a bonus really.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

It's my goat despite the design. This argument just downplays the entire game, if this is true games like Senran Kagura would have been bigger hits. You also won't get the most wholesome youtube comments i've seen for music videos.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

there's a reason for their designs. And yes, people love her ass.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

It wouldn't have sold nearly as much. 2B's character reveal was more polarizing than any other character this generation. Anyone who was posting on NeoGaf or reading youtube comments knows this to be true.

Oct 25, 2017

Nier is also highly regarded and its main character looks like this

latest

Though to be fair one of the npc partners looks like this

latest

Oct 25, 2017
It isnt particularly novel content. I think its more its most peoples' first experience with scifi that makes you think. This kind of thing has been in the literary world for ages, and is a lot more fleshed out. Being able to control it makes it more accessible than reading for most gamers.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

the reasons i think automata is amazing have little to do with 2b's butt

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised she was the character you spend the least time playing as, seeing as she's the face of the game. Anyway, the game is great, but the first game is a lot better.

This statue, though...

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has me genuinely curious about the Nier Automata fanfic scene, but some doors should remain closed.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
No? The fandom for Nier 1 is nothing like that of Automata. Show me the "old man from nier 1" appearances in soul calibur or hundreds of millions of fan arts

I'm not saying it was as big I'm just saying it was well regarded by it's community.

I'm also not trying to say sex doesn't sell. I'm sure a decent chunk of people bought the game because of 2B, but I don't think people would be still talking about it about it if it was just about the T&A. It was a good game with a good story is we're going by reviews.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isnt particularly novel content. I think its more its most peoples' first experience with scifi that makes you think. This kind of thing has been in the literary world for ages, and is a lot more fleshed out. Being able to control it makes it more accessible than reading for most gamers.

Sure some of the thematic elements Taro puts forward in both Nier and Drakengard aren't exactly groundbreaking for the Sci-Fi genre but the thing that I think sets Taro apart from a lot of other "auteur" creators right now in the game space is he very much takes advantage of the medium he is working in and though the themes might not be like revolutionary the way Taro presents them to the player is very impactful because he uses the interactivity of the medium well to compliment the story in ways you can't do with traditional media types.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure some of the thematic elements Taro puts forward in both Nier and Drakengard aren't exactly groundbreaking for the Sci-Fi genre but the thing that I think sets Taro apart from a lot of other "auteur" creators right now in the game space is he very much takes advantage of the medium he is working in and though the themes might not be like revolutionary the way Taro presents them to the player is very impactful because he uses the interactivity of the medium well to compliment the story in ways you can't do with traditional media types.
Yeah. There are things you simply cannot convey in different media, and he definitely uses it in a novel way for the medium.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
From the FAQ:

Respect a Diverse Audience

What might seem harmless or funny to you can be hurtful to others. Exclusionary behavior, casual or otherwise, is not tolerated. Be mindful at all times that your posts are not only being read by men; you should be considerate of women members and how your words might make them feel. We specifically discourage inappropriate or vulgar objectification of women.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.