• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
One of the bigger controversies around the time of LOTR's filming was around some leaked(?) images of the Helm's Deep set. Namely, it was that Arwen herself would have taken part in the battle, presumably alongside Haldir and the rest of the Lorien elves, which in and of itself was a change from Tolkein's novels.

b6ff88ff178eaf43ad3b1af13a846b9c.jpg

The changes for her arc were a bit more drastic. Halfway through the film, Galadriel and Elrond have a 'psychic' conversation, largely a method for the film to re-establish what the broader situation looks like in Middle-Earth before your big action-heavy final third. But this conversation is largely a result of editing and pick-ups. as Arwen and Elrond were at one point to go to Lothlorien and speak directly with Galadriel. This would lead into Arwen joining up with Aragorn for the film's massive setpiece battle. There are brief glimpses of her that can still be found in the final version, particularly at the end with Aragorn and Theoden riding out against the Uruks.

JrgEXDKPYneFOsHAobA3VqqutuKyd_H0hcooc3ziBZQ.jpg

And note, this cut scene between Arwen and Galadriel would have been the only scene between two notable female characters in any of these movies, aside from Eowyn and some Rohan extras.

78a1614ffc19a07df188b635467518f2.jpg

It's not really known what kind of ripple effect this might have had on Return of the King, but what is done to Arwen in both of the final two films is nothing short of a low-point. Instead of any kind of active participant in the story, Arwen's role in TT relegates her to crying on a bed, pining for her mortal love, and some wildly unnecessary flashbacks to Elrond trying to convince Aragorn to break up with her. She simply then refuses to break up with him, culminating these set of events into... absolutely nothing. This continues in ROTK with an extremely embarrassing soap-opera moment of Arwen seeing into the future at her and Aragorn's son, and a confrontation with her father.

This... seems like a real step down from what they originally planned.

Alot of the changes were seemingly as a result of harsh fan reaction to the leaks where she was mockingly-dubbed "Arwen: Warrior Princess," though Xena was rad, so I'm not sure what the actual insult is. Nevertheless, New Line and Jackson radically diminished Arwen's involvement in the active plot for the film.

This isn't the only cut to a major female cast-member, as Miranda Otto was meant to engage in a brief moment of combat in Two Towers as some Uruks made their way into the Glittering Caves, and Eowyn is left to defend the cowering civilians.

Though this cut may have been more to streamline the final fight, and also make her choice to fight in ROTK more impactful, it still is a disappointment.

My question is this: considering the much more open criticism we see towards Hollywood's relationship with women, particularly those in action roles, with how brazenly toxic fandoms are being exposed and challenged, would these changes have been made today? I don't know that I would say the Arwen changes could have been a benefit for the film as it's only more apparent just how much of a sausage-fest LOTR is. The Arwen scenes in Two Towers are just a bafflingly pointless distraction which really supports nothing within the film, and again, relegates the character to crying on a bed about her relationship. The idea of her being a more active agent within the film, continuing her badass streak from FOTR, and potentially being what helps inspire Eowyn to ride out to the Pelennor Fields, is all for more appealing. Even the Hobbit attempted to rectify the gender discrepancy, until it forced Evangeline Lilly's original character into a late-fabricated love-triangle in reshoots.

Thoughts?

Fly to the ford if old.

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
She always seemed superfluous. It would have been fine for her to join the battle.

Fandom is ridiculous as usual.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arwen is Aragorn's muse, inspiration and future wife. There is nothing more to her character in the books or movies, not everyone has to be a front line fighter.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Arwen saving Frodo was a smart story decision because it cut a superfluous character (Glorfindel) and gave her a bit of nuance (love interest torn between two worlds and royalty AND is not afraid to fight)

Arwen showing up at Helms Deep doesn't add anything to the story because the Elves showing up to honor The Last Alliance was the point of the gesture. More importantly it takes away from one of the most important parts of RotK, namely Eowyn facing down The Witch King. That moment kicks ass because women weren't allowed to fight, and that is undercut if you have too much of "Arwen: Warrior Princess"

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the bigger controversies around the time of LOTR's filming was around some leaked(?) images of the Helm's Deep set. Namely, it was that Arwen herself would have taken part in the battle, presumably alongside Haldir and the rest of the Lorien elves, which in and of itself was a change from Tolkein's novels.

b6ff88ff178eaf43ad3b1af13a846b9c.jpg

The changes for her arc were a bit more drastic. Halfway through the film, Galadriel and Elrond have a 'psychic' conversation, largely a method for the film to re-establish what the broader situation looks like in Middle-Earth before your big action-heavy final third. But this conversation is largely a result of editing and pick-ups. as Arwen and Elrond were at one point to go to Lothlorien and speak directly with Galadriel. This would lead into Arwen joining up with Aragorn for the film's massive setpiece battle. There are brief glimpses of her that can still be found in the final version, particularly at the end with Aragorn and Theoden riding out against the Uruks.

JrgEXDKPYneFOsHAobA3VqqutuKyd_H0hcooc3ziBZQ.jpg

And note, this cut scene between Arwen and Galadriel would have been the only scene between two notable female characters in any of these movies, aside from Eowyn and some Rohan extras.

78a1614ffc19a07df188b635467518f2.jpg

It's not really known what kind of ripple effect this might have had on Return of the King, but what is done to Arwen in both of the final two films is nothing short of a low-point. Instead of any kind of active participant in the story, Arwen's role in TT relegates her to crying on a bed, pining for her mortal love, and some wildly unnecessary flashbacks to Elrond trying to convince Aragorn to break up with her. She simply then refuses to break up with him, culminating these set of events into... absolutely nothing. This continues in ROTK with an extremely embarrassing soap-opera moment of Arwen seeing into the future at her and Aragorn's son, and a confrontation with her father.

This... seems like a real step down from what they originally planned.

Alot of the changes were seemingly as a result of harsh fan reaction to the leaks where she was mockingly-dubbed "Arwen: Warrior Princess," though Xena was rad, so I'm not sure what the actual insult is. Nevertheless, New Line and Jackson radically diminished Arwen's involvement in the active plot for the film.

This isn't the only cut to a major female cast-member, as Miranda Otto was meant to engage in a brief moment of combat in Two Towers as some Uruks made their way into the Glittering Caves, and Eowyn is left to defend the cowering civilians.

Though this cut may have been more to streamline the final fight, and also make her choice to fight in ROTK more impactful, it still is a disappointment.

My question is this: considering the much more open criticism we see towards Hollywood's relationship with women, particularly those in action roles, with how brazenly toxic fandoms are being exposed and challenged, would these changes have been made today? I don't know that I would say the Arwen changes could have been a benefit for the film as it's only more apparent just how much of a sausage-fest LOTR is. The Arwen scenes in Two Towers are just a bafflingly pointless distraction which really supports nothing within the film, and again, relegates the character to crying on a bed about her relationship. The idea of her being a more active agent within the film, continuing her badass streak from FOTR, and potentially being what helps inspire Eowyn to ride out to the Pelennor Fields, is all for more appealing. Even the Hobbit attempted to rectify the gender discrepancy, until it forced Evangeline Lilly's original character into a late-fabricated love-triangle in reshoots.

Thoughts?

Fly to the ford if old.

She wasn't a huge fighter in the books so hardcore fans got pissed. I understand their side. Changing characters for whatever reason is some BS and I hate it. You have the source material (and I mean... it's a lot), so go with the source material. Sure, sometimes you have to change something in the storyline for the "shorter" movie. But changing a character, making her somebody she isn't? No. Pretty sure those fans had no issues with her being more of a fighter if she actually fought the battle in the books.
Arwen is Aragorn's muse, inspiration and future wife. There is nothing more to her character in the books or movies, not everyone has to be a front line fighter.
Well said. Even tho seeing her fight in the end would have been cool. But like I said, it wasn't in the books, so I'm cool with it.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Can you imagine the YouTube videos?

Argon gets cucked in LOTR sequal: Peter Jackson goes full SJW

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They tried something similar to this with the Hobbit films and it was disastrous.

It's glorified fan fiction at best and breaking a decades old classic of fantasy literature at worst.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have the source material (and I mean... it's a lot), so go with the source material. Sure, sometimes you have to change something in the storyline for the "shorter" movie. But changing a character, making her somebody she isn't? No. Pretty sure those fans had no issues with her being more of a fighter if she actually fought the battle in the books.

When your source material is problematic, you either need to change the material or you can't be surprised if the adaptation is suggested as problematic too.

Oct 25, 2017
Arwen showing up at Helms Deep doesn't add anything to the story because the Elves showing up to honor The Last Alliance was the point of the gesture. More importantly it takes away from one of the most important parts of RotK, namely Eowyn facing down The Witch King. That moment kicks ass because women weren't allowed to fight, and that is undercut if you have too much of "Arwen: Warrior Princess"

Ya, there's a myriad of reasons why this addition would have been a bad idea. Least of all the amount of changes going forward it would have caused. We know how this turns out, they did this exact thing in the Hobbit movies. It was bad. And it doesn't just effect her character, but it also effects Aragorn's character directly. His entire character arc would be undercut by her showing up at any point.

When your source material is problematic, you either need to change the material or you can't be surprised if the adaptation is suggested as problematic too.

Lacking a host of female characters doesn't automatically make something problematic. There's some actually problematic stuff and it isn't female representation.

Last edited:

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018

What's problematic about Arwen in the source material? Eowyn is a far better characterized female character in both renditions anyways.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I think that would have added unneeded conflict. You've already got this final defence of the people of Rohan backed into a corner, and then you add the emotional plight of Aragorn/Arwen at the wall defending each other. And it definitely would have been extra soap opera-y. Yes, Arwen is just a love interest in typical old fashion sexist style, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe she isn't that great a warrior, so it wouldn't make sense for her to be there. We already know she isn't a damsel in distress from how she courageously battled the Ringwraiths.

Seeing Eowyn given more shieldmaiden scenes would be cool and foreshadow her character so that might have been a good add.

LOTR the book was already male dominated. Changes to that would kinda be silly because it might change the whole structure and flow of events. That is the book, and people like the book for what it is. There is a time and place for new direction in adaptation, namely when there is room for it. See how not to do it with the Hobbit movies.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
What's problematic about Arwen in the source material? Eowyn is a far better characterized female character in both renditions anyways.
She's a barely a character in the book, and what purpose she serves, is merely as a love interest to Aragorn. There really isn't much to her, compared to Luthien for example.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
It is wild how Arwen went from the badass in the River scene to basically just background for the rest of the story. Not sure how I would change it, but I'm curious if the Amazon series might take some liberties with the overall character arcs.

98398d5856c9ba5354bb4bd23c5e793a.gif

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I think they definitely did Arwen dirty in ROTK (the last-minute-inserted idea that the ring is killing her reeks of studio notes and reshoots and "stakes," just like having a troll almost kill Aragorn at the end), but I think it's actually wise to keep her and Aragorn apart in the second film.

So much of the point of it is that they're pining for each other (lots of Aragorn's whole arc in the film is about his wish to be with her versus his reluctant pursuit of his duties to humanity, often complicated by the one-way attraction with Eowyn and her own entirely separate hopes/dreams/despairs).

I think the arc of separating them and rejoining them is fundamentally sound (so, keeping them separated in TTT is fine); where the arc stumbles is in the third film, not in the second. I would much rather have seen Arwen be the one to bring Aragorn the reforged Anduril (and leave out the unnecessary speech about how the ring is killing her).

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
It is wild how Arwen went from the badass in the River scene to basically just background for the rest of the story. Not sure how I would change it, but I'm curious if the Amazon series might take some liberties with the overall character arcs.

If the series is about young Aragorn, then I expect Arwen to be fleshed out quite a bit.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would have been fine. They made it work by giving her a bigger role in Fellowship.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the series is about young Aragorn, then I expect Arwen to be fleshed out quite a bit.

Arwen and Aragorn spent a little bit of time together in Rivendell when he was barely a man. He then left for like 40 years to adventure in the world while pining over her memory until he came back to her and proposed. Their story is more about a love that is meant to be between two creatures of noble blood and not about two independent people falling in love with each other.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Gandalf and the Rohirrim were the only calvary the movie really needed to save the day at Helm's Deep.

ANY Elves showing up at Helm's Deep was dumb and forced. Arwen, Haldir...both pointless.

Thankfully, though, they all get killed, so the Elven-Rohan alliance doesn't last beyond that and are soon forgotten.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Arwen and Aragorn spent a little bit of time together in Rivendell when he was barely a man. He then left for like 40 years to adventure in the world while pining over her memory until he came back to her and proposed. Their story is more about a love that is meant to be between two creatures of noble blood and not about two independent people falling in love with each other.
Yes indeed. But the Amazon showrunners won't see it like that. They'll use Arwen the way they see fit and with Christopher Tolkien no longer having much of a say and recent news about the Tolkien family meeting with Jeff Bezos, I don't see much restraint.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know they had any Glittering Caves footage.

I really wish they had kept Helm's Deep more like the book.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Happens all the time. It seems to be a cliché in and of itself - women can be badass for a little bit but then they have to become wimpy so the men can take centre stage.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Eowyn was the most badass woman of all. Her line at the end right before killing the Witch King was fucking awesome.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Even with its flaws the book is going to be far better than anything they came up with.

For good or bad she is really not a central character to the books, other than in the background.

The same can be said of Elrond and other major characters as well.

Not everyone has to fight.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they shifted focus from Arwen to Eowyn for TT and RotK, to a large degree. I would have been fine with Arwen being at Helms Deep.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Timely, as I started up the trilogy against yesterday (half-way through the Two Towers Extended Cut).

I'm... indifferent. Maybe it would have been superfluous, maybe it would've been good. The truth of the matter is Arwen was never a main character, in either the books or the movies. She's not a focal point and... that's fine. Yeah, the original material was very male-dominated, but I think that's what makes a character like Eowyn stand out even more.

Jan 31, 2018
Jackson and his fellow writers went mad with power as the trilogy wore on and it really shows. I mean, imagine thinking it was a fight between Aragorn and Sauron at the end of the third film was okay for any length of time.

As for Arwen at Helms Deep, eh, they already brought in the Elves for nonsensical reasons. It wouldn't have changed things further.

Oct 27, 2017
This seems to be "Here's a female character who doesn't really do much in the trilogy. Let's make her into a fighter because reasons"

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It would have sucked just like forcing kate from lost into everything in the hobbit did

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Jackson and his fellow writers went mad with power as the trilogy wore on and it really shows. I mean, imagine thinking it was a fight between Aragorn and Sauron at the end of the third film was okay for any length of time.

As for Arwen at Helms Deep, eh, they already brought in the Elves for nonsensical reasons. It wouldn't have changed things further.
what?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It would have sucked just like forcing kate from lost into everything in the hobbit did
A lot went wrong with the Hobbit movies... and the weird love triangle thing wasn't even in the original script.
Lilly had played a character involved in a love triangle for six years in the TV show Lost, and had only accepted the role of Tauriel on the condition that this was not going to be a part of The Hobbit films. In the interview, she reveals that it was indeed not a part of the original script and that it was filmed during pickup shoots, despite her initial protestations at the change in direction.

... You can tell.

Originally, Sauron himself comes out to fight Aragorn. That's how they filmed it. They later agreed it was a bad idea and changed the fight to a generic troll.
f6ca22c9c8687a62d07d58b8e4c81c7e.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
She should've fought. She was already fighting in Fellowship and she's a background character for the rest of the films. She also has like nothing to do in the book so beefing up her role would've been nice.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since I first heard of this idea and saw some of the footage on the DVD documentaries I've wished PJ went with action Arwen.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
It could have worked if done well but would have been even more different than the books. Luthien was inspired by Edith Tolkien and Arwen's based off that. Going to war and being separated from the ones you love.

I do think considering the change they made with Fellowship (which was correct to cut the superfluous Glorfindel) and having the elves at Helms Deep, Arwen probably should have been involved at some point.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Wow, never knew about the Arwen and sauron bits.
I always though that arwen will show up sometime to help in a battle due to her badass introduction in FOTR, but was never disappointed that she never did.

Sorry OP, but arwen's vision of her son in the future was fantastic.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Eowyn was the most badass woman of all. Her line at the end right before killing the Witch King was fucking awesome.

Felt forced and cheesy to me. She should have stroke first then deliever that line, it would have been better.

I didn't like how the Witch King (in the extended edition) owned Gandalf the White either.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
didn't realize she was still visible in some of those crowd scenes. man, the hobbit has made me skeptical of how rewrites to the story woulda turned out, but it's fun to imagine Arwen getting to do more.

Wow, never knew about the Arwen and sauron bits.
I always though that arwen will show up sometime to help in a battle due to her badass introduction in FOTR, but was never disappointed that she never did.

Sorry OP, but arwen's vision of her son in the future was fantastic.

that was a different elf's scene in the book. they cut that elf's cameo appearance and gave the scene to Arwen, then just .... had her go back to being herself instead of developing her from there. If Glorfindel had other scenes later to borrow they probably woulda given those to her too.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to adapt a story, it should reflect the modern times (The original will always exist). If the LOTR movies come out today Arwen would have participated in the battles for sure.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
If you are going to adapt a story, it should reflect the modern times (The original will always exist). If the LOTR movies come out today Arwen would have participated in the battles for sure.
Why? There's already an entire subplot about a woman not allowed to fight in her country who shows she's a real badass who can take down the leader of the Ringwraiths. She even says that women in her country are trained to swordfight. What does "modern times" have to do with anything?

Last edited:

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I was good with Arwen saving Frodo from the Ring wraiths to tighten up the story cast. And I was okay her not participating in any battle after that. Not every women has to be a warrior. Her fighting against Elrond, breaking elves social traditions was enough. That showed strength of character.

The elves time was over, and they were leaving Middle Earth. Her, personally running around participating in battle would have brought into question why don't all the elves help. The token force sent to Helm's deep was pushing it as it is. It was men's time to find their own way in the world.

Whoever suggested it, I agree, it would have been better after Arwen see the vision of her child, that she would have been the one to take the sword to Aragon, not Elrond. That would have been enough for her arc. I never like "oh, I am dying" bit. It shifted Aragon accepting is place of fighting for men, back to fighting for his love. Arwen bring him the sword would made her choice of being the part of the new age more significant, instead of daddy manipulating events so his daughter would live.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Why? There's already an entire subplot about a woman not allowed to fight in her country who shows she's a real badass who can take down the leader of the Ringwraiths. She even says that women in her country are trained to swordfight. What does "modern times" have to do with anything?

What's the point of retelling a story and not reflecting the moment you live in? Tolkien most certainly reflected the world he lived in. Storytelling isn't a static art. It's meant to inspire the audience of the day. The audience today lives in a world were women are gaining more power than ever. Women that get things done, and aren't passive participants, are what audiences respond to and desire. It's in the air. Consciously or not, the art reflects that.

Expanding Arwen's role and having her participate in the action scenes is natural if you are adapting that story today. You don't want that? Go read the original books. Jackson's trilogy reflected the early 2000s plenty. So it's not like it wouldn't be expected now a days.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
In general, nerds are way more defensive of LotR than Tolkien himself was. He personally never liked how he did the orcs, for example.

Not everyone has to fight.

Sure, but it'd be nice if she ever advanced the plot at all in any way after Fellowship. Have her be the one to convince the elves to honor the alliance, have her bring Anduril, etc... There are a lot of characters that advance the "stop Sauron from killing us all" plot without directly fighting (like the hobbits most of the time). But post Fellowship, it's like the only thing that Arwen counts for is Aragorn's prize should he survive everything. That's a pretty common criticism of a lot of media! A lot of things (games, books, movies, etc...) treat women no better than prizes or loot to be won post-mission, and Arwen certainly gets that treatment. Worse in the books. Tolkien was educated, and I like to think that if he were alive today, he'd be open to hearing critique of his work. He was when he was alive.

Just say she's totally allowed to fight because elves aren't sexist, you silly humans. It's a pretty common trope in fantasy; elves don't have our dumb behaviors.

battle would have brought into question why don't all the elves help

Uh, I'm fairly certain this didn't come up whenever Legolas (who is, last I checked, definitely an elf of some repute) was in battle. I don't see why Arwen is the tipping point here. She's always had more concern for humans than most elves.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What's the point of retelling a story and not reflecting the moment you live in? Tolkien most certainly reflected the world he lived in. Storytelling isn't a static art. It's meant to inspire the audience of the day. The audience today lives in a world were women are gaining more power than ever. Women that get things done, and aren't passive participants, are what audiences respond to and desire. It's in the air. Consciously or not, the art reflects that.

Expanding Arwen's role and having her participate in the action scenes is natural if you are adapting that story today. You don't want that? Go read the original books. Jackson's trilogy reflected the early 2000s plenty. So it's not like it wouldn't be expected now a days.

Right, and that's why Tauriel in The Hobbit trilogy is great.

What's that? She's not great because all the flippy action combat is superfluous to her actually being a good character and role model and in fact hurts the overall story?

Eowyn is so great as a character because, as a woman taking up arms to fight against evil in a patriarchal society that says she can't do that, she is exceptional. Having Arwen running around cheapens the power of that moment, and that's not a good trade just to have one more woman with a sword.

To really go for what you are describing here you'd need to rewrite a significant part of the story to expand and diversify the cast (a noble goal but different from LotR) beyond giving Arwen more action scenes.

They made the right call in the end, just going with it enough to show that she's brave and will do what's right.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Uh, I'm fairly certain this didn't come up whenever Legolas (who is, last I checked, definitely an elf of some repute) was in battle. I don't see why Arwen is the tipping point here. She's always had more concern for humans than most elves.

It doesn't come up for Legolas in the movies because he was sent to help deal with the Ring. The average movie goer doesn't know he is an heir to throne.

Arwen is depicted to not only be the heir to Elrond, but under Elrond's control. Given that Galadriel the queen, the Arwen's problem isn't due to the sexism the affect Eowyn. It a father using his power to protect offspring- this case a daughter.

Given her known status, if she ran off to battle, she would like have some people follower her to help AND Elrond sending troops to bring her back.

Remember- Elrond himself does not join the Ring quest nor send troops to aid the Fellowship- the elves are leaving Middle Earth. To have Arwen run off to battle does not just change her story- It change Elrond's and Elves place in the story as a whole. Heck, if Arwen joins battle, why not Galadriel too?

Having the elves stay out of battles as much as possiable is what makes the story a coming of age story for humans.