• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Right, and that's why Tauriel in The Hobbit trilogy is great.

What's that? She's not great because all the flippy action combat is superfluous to her actually being a good character and role model and in fact hurts the overall story?

Eowyn is so great as a character because, as a woman taking up arms to fight against evil in a patriarchal society that says she can't do that, she is exceptional. Having Arwen running around cheapens the power of that moment, and that's not a good trade just to have one more woman with a sword.

To really go for what you are describing here you'd need to rewrite a significant part of the story to expand and diversify the cast (a noble goal but different from LotR) beyond giving Arwen more action scenes.

They made the right call in the end, just going with it enough to show that she's brave and will do what's right.

There are multiple ways to tell a story. One bad way doesn't negate another way. But there was far more problems with The Hobbit than just Tauriel. The fact that you even bring her up shows how weak your argument is. She isn't even a Tolkien original. Comparing her to Arwen makes no sense.

And then you say having 2 strong women cheapens the other? So you realize how that sounds? Why don't the 3 Hobbits negate Frodo? LOTR is filled with dozens of male action characters. And they don't lessen each other. There is no reason you can't have multiple women in action.

And once again, many chunks of Jackson's movie differ from Tolkien's original. It's what adaptations do.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Given her known status, if she ran off to battle, she would like have some people follower her to help AND Elrond sending troops to bring her back.

Not really. The elves don't care for men. Arwen is a weirdo in this regard. That's already her whole character schtick right now, where she's the nutjob who wants to stay behind for a mortal.

Arwen: "I'm not leaving them to die!"
Elrond: "But death is ultimately all their fates!"
Arwen: "But not today, not if I can stop it!"

And then she runs off. It's pretty easy. As for "under Elrond's control" that's kinda one of the shitty outdated aspects of LotR. She's fucking immortal, what's he gonna do, kill her?

Besides, Elrond does help the Fellowship. Ultimately, he decides to have Anduril fixed up and brought to Aragorn. Just have Arwen be the one who cares enough about men to bring them their sacred blade instead. It all works.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. The elves don't care for men. Arwen is a weirdo in this regard. That's already her whole character schtick right now, where she's the nutjob who wants to stay behind for a mortal.

Arwen: "I'm not leaving them to die!"
Elrond: "But death is ultimately all their fates!"
Arwen: "But not today, not if I can stop it!"

And then she runs off. It's pretty easy. As for "under Elrond's control" that's kinda one of the shitty outdated aspects of LotR. She's fucking immortal, what's he gonna do, kill her?

Besides, Elrond does help the Fellowship. Ultimately, he decides to have Anduril fixed up and brought to Aragorn. Just have Arwen be the one who cares enough about men to bring them their sacred blade instead. It all works.

It just goes to show you have uncreative people are. They can't possibly imagine this happening.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
She's a barely a character in the book, and what purpose she serves, is merely as a love interest to Aragorn. There really isn't much to her, compared to Luthien for example.
Not every character needs to have a deep story. Balin has almost none in LotR, albeit being far more important (in the grand scheme of things) than Arwen. Forcing the love story between A&A down the viewers' throats where in the books it is a side note is far more problematic to me.
Arwen is not an important character, Appendix A aside she appears maybe twice in the book and is mentioned maybe 2 more times if that. I do not understand what's wrong with that, it's not like she is important to the plot of any of the books, that is because that particular love story is far less important than the deeds of the fellowship and when it might have been appropriate to write about it (ie. before the council of Elrond) Aragorn was a fairly misterious character so it would have made no sense.

For one time that a fantasy story does not have a cliché romance as a driving force of the narration (hello Sword of Truth, Wheel of Time, Belgariad Saga etc.) I do not see a benefit in forcing it upon the viewers if not to make more money (by appealing to a certain demographic).

If this is about Arwen being female, Eowyn and Galadriel do a way better job than Arwen ever could, and they do that in the books too (especially Eowyn considering also her arc after Minas Tirith)

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Jackson and his fellow writers went mad with power as the trilogy wore on and it really shows. I mean, imagine thinking it was a fight between Aragorn and Sauron at the end of the third film was okay for any length of time.

I always thought that this one made sense considering Sauron thought that Aragorn had the ring.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
if you wanted to expand more on a female character the person to do it with, without breaking too much canon is most definitely Eowyn, not Arwen, although that would have only been possible in the last 1.5 movie

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It just goes to show you have uncreative people are. They can't possibly imagine this happening.

Yeah, they're starting from the position of "nothing is wrong with these whatsoever, any changes are bad" and then working backwards ("this change doesn't make sense!").

For one time that a fantasy story does not have a cliché romance

You greatly misunderstand peoples' issues with Arwen in LotR if you think people wanted her to have a bigger part wrapped up in romance.

it's not like she is important to the plot of any of the books,

Right, that's kinda the issue for most, if not all, women in LotR. They're all mostly window dressing as far as advancing The War of the Ring is concerned. Eowyn drops the Witch King and.......that's about it.

LotR is charitably a sausage fest.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There are multiple ways to tell a story. One bad way doesn't negate another way. But there was far more problems with The Hobbit than just Tauriel. The fact that you even bring her up shows how weak your argument is. She isn't even a Tolkien original. Comparing her to Arwen makes no sense.

And then you say having 2 strong women cheapens the other? So you realize how that sounds? Why don't the 3 Hobbits negate Frodo? LOTR is filled with dozens of male action characters. And they don't lessen each other. There is no reason you can't have multiple women in action.

And once again, many chunks of Jackson's movie differ from Tolkien's original. It's what adaptations do.

I didn't mean to say that Tauriel is the sole problem with The Hobbit or that she's (or Arwen) are/would automatically be bad characters because they were action heroes and women, that's my bad for miscommunicating that.

What I'm talking about is character utility: what is this character's role? What do they signify? Does that work in the greater context of the story? Tauriel doesn't work as a character not because she does action but because her action flips and arrow shooting have negligible impact on the progression and meaning of the story. It's fluff, her impact comes from being in a love triangle and pining and brooding, that's her actual character. Adding more action and actual fight scenes to Arwen would have similarly been fluff, as her action antics wouldn't have been what her character contributed to the story.

Eowyn meanwhile is all about action and wanting to fight, and her fight scenes do impact the narrative in a significant way (killed the fucking Witch King and avenged her father) and that's why it works. If you want more of that for more of the female characters (which is a great thing and would in fact improve the story) then you need to go way deeper than just having Arwen participate in Helms Deep, you would need to rewrite who these characters are and place them in different events.

For an adaptation of LotR, that simply wasn't feasible. But! Moving forward there's no reason this can't be done better in a radical retelling or a new story entirely.

For the record I feel having Arwen bring Aragorn Anduril would have been a change for the better in increasing the impact of the character while still maintaining their core designed utility and keeping most of the same events.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
LotR is charitably a sausage fest.
Yup. And Arwen having a single fight scene at Helm's Deep doesn't really change that, honestly.

Maybe as a young girl I would be more hyped for it. But at this point I'm tired of token female action characters. Is it better than nothing? Maybe, but not enough for me to feel strongly about it in this particular case.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot

It is not about elves caring for men, it elves caring for Arwen. A small band may follow Arwen to protect her form what they perceive as her nativity. Elrond definitely would not do it for men. But he knows orcs are out in force, hence sending army to retrieve her.

Jackson could have solved the Arwen awkwardness of her being a trophy girl at the end by eliminating her from the films all together. I did a decent job of including her, without effect the world.

Again, I thought her battle of wills with Elrond was fine, Jackson just need something better than "Arwen am dying" to motivate Elrond into action of delivering the sword.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Why? There's already an entire subplot about a woman not allowed to fight in her country who shows she's a real badass who can take down the leader of the Ringwraiths. She even says that women in her country are trained to swordfight. What does "modern times" have to do with anything?
Just say she's totally allowed to fight because elves aren't sexist, you silly humans. It's a pretty common trope in fantasy; elves don't have our dumb behaviors.
She's not an elf, she's a human. No elf is prohibited from fighting in the book or movie, in fact in the books some of the best elf warriors are female, though none in the main series fight, since in the main series no elves fight, period, except for the one that's a member of the fellowship.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Would have rather her turn up than the elven army that turns up. She at least has a more personal connection with the characters than a random army.

And her parts in TTT and ROTK are so bad they're legit the only parts that I always fast forward through. Should have her anything else, even if her being at Helms deep would be superfluous it would still be an improvement.

A badass one dimensional fighter is always better than a shit snow white.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. And Arwen having a single fight scene at Helm's Deep doesn't really change that, honestly.

Maybe as a young girl I would be more hyped for it. But at this point I'm tired of token female action characters. Is it better than nothing? Maybe, but not enough for me to feel strongly about it in this particular case.

Sure, but I presume there were other scenes around that would give her a real part in the films. PJ isn't the guys who do Game of Thrones. I'd hope he wouldn't just teleport her into the battle.

And honestly, it'd be nice for my wife (who is a big LotR fan) to have more impactful female characters to relate to other than Eowyn. I get literally the entire fucking Fellowship, plus other dudes. She gets Eowyn, Galadriel (who isn't around for much and doesn't do much but exposition), and Arwen (who might as well be tagged as loot in the 2nd and 3rd films, and in all of the books).

It is not about elves caring for men, it elves caring for Arwen. A small band may follow Arwen to protect her form what they perceive as her nativity.

I don't recall any scene where fanatical elves are loyal enough to Arwen that they'd feel the need to go battle with her. These elves were not there when she saved Frodo from Wraiths, and they didn't seem to object to her staying behind at the end of the films. This small band you've referred to does not exist as far as I recall, nor do they need to.

But he knows orcs are out in force, hence sending army to retrieve her.

He didn't seem to think this when she went to take on the Nazghul by herself.

edit:
She's not an elf, she's a human. No elf isn't allowed to fight, in fact in the books some of the best elf warriors are female.

I was referring to Arwen there. Eowyn is the one who does the "I'm not allowed to fight" thing, and they were saying that Arwen would just be that again. I was pointing out that it's pretty easy to say that elves don't have such hangups and Arwen could have a different arc.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
She's not an elf, she's a human. No elf is prohibited from fighting in the book or movie, in fact in the books some of the best elf warriors are female, though none in the main series fight, since in the main series no elves fight, period, except for the one that's a member of the fellowship.
Were female elves allowed into elf armies? I would prefer seeing a mixed gender army at Helms Deep than just Arwen fighting, although in that case, having both would have been pretty cool.

And honestly, it'd be nice for my wife (who is a big LotR fan) to have more impactful female characters to relate to other than Eowyn. I get literally the entire fucking Fellowship, plus other dudes. She gets Eowyn, Galadriel (who isn't around for much and doesn't do much but exposition), and Arwen (who might as well be tagged as loot in the 2nd and 3rd films, and in all of the books).
I get it. As a female fan I would have loved if there were more prominent female characters in Lord of the Rings. I just don't think adding Arwen to a single fight scene changes it that much. (But I'm sure enough to make certain fans angry about it.)

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I don't recall any scene where fanatical elves are loyal enough to Arwen that they'd feel the need to go battle with her. These elves were not there when she saved Frodo from Wraiths, and they didn't seem to object to her staying behind at the end of the films. This small band you've referred to does not exist as far as I recall, nor do they need to.

I was presenting suggestion how Jackson could have built a story around Arwen to get her to the battle of Helms' Deep.Yes, the random followers suggested don't exist in cannon. But a tool make Arwen getting from Rivendell to Helm's Deep a bit more interesting if you are going to include her.

He didn't seem to think this when she went to take on the Nazghul by herself.
Just because Elrond is a protective father, doesn't mean he has Arwen under lock a key. Wandering the boarders of your own land is quite different than willingly going to war against a large host. Also, no one knew the Nazghul were going to show up on the doorstep of Rivendal. Arwin was out there looking for looking for Aragon to return.

I was referring to Arwen there. Eowyn is the one who does the "I'm not allowed to fight" thing, and they were saying that Arwen would just be that again. I was pointing out that it's pretty easy to say that elves don't have such hangups and Arwen could have a different arc.

It not about conflict of Arwen ability to fight. The fight she is in with Elrond is about the destiny of the elves. They are destined to go to the Undying Lands. Arwen's fight against that destiny. Elrond not only believes in that destiny, but is doing what any parent would do- trying to protect their child from the horrors of war.

Not every conflict needs to be solved with swords.

EDIT: I am women too that like more representation in my media. But I am hard pressed to figure out a logical way to include Arwen into LOTR more without disrupting the focus of Aragon journey to be King and Frodo's sacrifices to save everyone from the Ring.

Last edited:

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
It is wild how Arwen went from the badass in the River scene to basically just background for the rest of the story. Not sure how I would change it, but I'm curious if the Amazon series might take some liberties with the overall character arcs.

98398d5856c9ba5354bb4bd23c5e793a.gif
She's "badass" sure in that scene, but she doesn't fight. It's not like she's shown to be an amazing archer or have great swordsmanship.

I actually thought pretty much everyone was in agreement that having Arwen join the Helm's Deep battle would have been forced as hell. There's just a myriad of reasons why I don't think it would have made the story better.

Jan 31, 2018
I always thought that this one made sense considering Sauron thought that Aragorn had the ring.

In the books, Sauron had lost the ability to take solid form.

Now in the movie universe, Jackson clearly would have put in anything that would have created more tension and drama. But even then, it would have been kind of dumb given how weak Aragorn was portrayed (his struggled with the Uruk-hai come to mind). And it would have clashed horribly with the intro to the Fellowship.

I'm actually surprised he came to his senses on this one.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Were female elves allowed into elf armies? I would prefer seeing a mixed gender army at Helms Deep than just Arwen fighting, although in that case, having both would have been pretty cool.
Well, elf armies in the books were only vaguely mentioned as being in the last battle with Sauron the first time, when the ring was first cut from his finger. Other than that the books really just had small bands of elves doing things on their own, and by the time of Lord of the Rings, they really just want to get the heck out of Middle Earth. One of the biggest events from the Silmarillion, that is mentioned in some songs during the Lord of the Rings books and even a song in the movies, is an elf named Luthien who sneaks into Sauron's original boss's lair and takes from him one of his greatest treasures, a Silmaril. She travels with her human boyfriend Beren but is constantly rescuing him from one thing or another, and she takes the Silmaril herself, using her magic to lull the god to sleep. Another great female elf, Idril Celebrindal, donned battle armor and led her people out a secret tunnel to escape an army of balrogs and dragons (she was a prophetess and saw the army coming). I think she was Arwen's grandmother.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I was presenting suggestion how Jackson could have built a story around Arwen to get her to the battle of Helms' Deep.Yes, the random followers suggested don't exist in cannon. But a tool make Arwen getting from Rivendell to Helm's Deep a bit more interesting if you are going to include her.

You presented this as a bad thing. I don't personally care if Arwen brings a few more elves with her, but you said that would be bad. I said "fine, it can just be her." So are more elves with her good or not?

Just because Elrond is a protective father, doesn't mean he has Arwen under lock a key. Wandering the boarders of your own land is quite different than willingly going to war against a large host. Also, no one knew the Nazghul were going to show up on the doorstep of Rivendal. Arwin was out there looking for looking for Aragon to return.

Okay. This isn't a refutation of my point. Elrond doesn't have the ability to stop her from going if she chooses to, and he doesn't have to send an army after her to save her (as we've already seen, he didn't send one before). She doesn't even have to tell him where she's gone.

Not like it matters. Like I mentioned to Pau, PJ isn't the Game of Thrones guys. Elrond's backup if he did send them wouldn't get there until well after the battle. Armies don't travel quickly.

It not about conflict of Arwen ability to fight. The fight she is in with Elrond is about the destiny of the elves. They are destined to go to the Undying Lands. Arwen's fight against that destiny. Elrond not only believes in that destiny, but is doing what any parent would do- trying to protect their child from the horrors of war.

Again, I don't see how this refutes my point.

Here's my point in simple terms:
1) Arwen, like most female characters in LotR, is sidelined at almost every turn except as she pertains to the romance plot of her wanting Aragorn.
2) This is bad. Maybe there are ways to include her in the main plot of LotR (as in, don't just add even more scenes of her pining for Aragorn's "sword").
3) This doesn't necessarily mean combat (EG have her fix up Anduril and deliver it).

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
In the books, Sauron had lost the ability to take solid form.

Now in the movie universe, Jackson clearly would have put in anything that would have created more tension and drama. But even then, it would have been kind of dumb given how weak Aragorn was portrayed (his struggled with the Uruk-hai come to mind). And it would have clashed horribly with the intro to the Fellowship.

I'm actually surprised he came to his senses on this one.
Sauron did indeed have a physical form in the books during this period. Tolkien make it explicitly clear, via the 'four fingers description' given by Gollum.

Aragorn may have faired quite well against Sauron considering his lack of martial ability, and greatly weakened form without the One.

In the end, Peter made the right decision in excising Sauron/Annatar.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the "Women of Rohan can't fight" thing not accurate? Eowyn is described as a Shieldmaiden of Rohan, so clearly there's some cultural precedence for Rohirrim women being trained in the martial arts. And she's been trained to fight in the heavy cavalry.

Her issue is that her father made her regent to rule in his stead instead of allowing her to ride with him on campaign, so she defies her duty to covertly join the campaigning army instead.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The changes introduced in FotR re: Arwen are great.

The rest I could do without, and so could Peter Jackson apparently. Too bad he had no restraint when making The Hobbit.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the "Women of Rohan can't fight" thing not accurate? Eowyn is described as a Shieldmaiden of Rohan, so clearly there's some cultural precedence for Rohirrim women being trained in the martial arts. And she's been trained to fight in the heavy cavalry.

Her issue is that her father made her regent to rule in his stead instead of allowing her to ride with him on campaign, so she defies her duty to covertly join the campaigning army instead.
Those women in the book are trained to fight because women are expected to fight in the last if any army makes it through. As she says in the movie, "woman learned long ago that they can die on swords just as much as men". But she most definitely isn't allowed in the army to fight in the books because she is female, they aren't a normal part of the army.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Those women in the book are trained to fight because women are expected to fight in the last if any army makes it through. As she says in the movie, "woman learned long ago that they can die on swords just as much as men". But she most definitely isn't allowed in the army to fight in the books because she is female, they aren't a normal part of the army.

This is also explained with what Theoden tells Eowyn at Dunharrow just before departing for Gondor.
"I have left instruction. The people are to follow your rule in my stead. Take up my seat in the Golden Hall. Long may you defend Edoras if the battle goes ill."

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This is also explained with what Theoden tells Eowyn at Dunharrow just before departing for Gondor.
"I have left instruction. The people are to follow your rule in my stead. Take up my seat in the Golden Hall. Long may you defend Edoras if the battle goes ill."
In the books he doesn't even think of her at first as a leader, until someone else reminds him of it when asking who will lead them while he leads the armies away. I guess it really might be just the king that's the problem, not their society. Hard to tell.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
You presented this as a bad thing. I don't personally care if Arwen brings a few more elves with her, but you said that would be bad. I said "fine, it can just be her." So are more elves with her good or not?

What the actual fuck? I suggested she should have more elves with her. Did I make a typo for you claim the exact opposite?

The Fellowship lost Gandalf and split up during their journey. Aragon, Boorimer, Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf are some of the best fighters in Middle Earth. It not a knock to Arwen's prowess as a fighter to have her travel with band of elves.

Okay. This isn't a refutation of my point. Elrond doesn't have the ability to stop her from going if she chooses to, and he doesn't have to send an army after her to save her (as we've already seen, he didn't send one before). She doesn't even have to tell him where she's gone.

a) Elrond does have the ability to stop her- he is the leader of their people. You are down playing the significance of Elrond power
b) Elrond does not have to send an army after Arwen, but parental love isn't always logical. You keep ignoring that parental bond. Making Arwen a petulant child would not make her character better.
c) Yeah, she don't have to tell Elrond where she is going, because she herself would not know where to go either. There is no instant long distance communication in Middle Earth. Because of the rings of power, you can fudge it story wise that Elrond and Galdrieal are "tracking" the Fellowship. But please explain how Arwen would know to show up at Helm's Deep?

Not like it matters. Like I mentioned to Pau, PJ isn't the Game of Thrones guys. Elrond's backup if he did send them wouldn't get there until well after the battle. Armies don't travel quickly.

Unless they are elves, which seem to possess abilities beyond men a dwarves. If you are arguing Arwin could have made to Helm's Deep, without a clue a battle is brewing there, then elven armies can get there in time too. Galadrial's army got there on foot, without running into the Orcs. If Elrond's army took the direct route, unlike the Fellowship who were trying to avoid detection, they could get there fast too.

I'm not against including more female roles. How about instead making for things for Arwen to do, make Merry and Pippin women? There is nothing about their roles that require either to be men. That would put two female leads right in Fellowship itself. Gondor may be a little uptight about making Pippin a squire, but Merry- their are shield maids in Rohan. That would be an easy story conversion.

Again, I don't see how this refutes my point.
Here's my point in simple terms:
1) Arwen, like most female characters in LotR, is sidelined at almost every turn except as she pertains to the romance plot of her wanting Aragorn.
2) This is bad. Maybe there are ways to include her in the main plot of LotR (as in, don't just add even more scenes of her pining for Aragorn's "sword").
3) This doesn't necessarily mean combat (EG have her fix up Anduril and deliver it).

1) Find a way to reinvent Arwen without breaking the world of Middle Earth, and I would be okay with more of her inclusion along the way.
2) Jackson had to balance making her more than the widow dressing she was in the books verses making her journey unbelievable in the world Tolkien created for the story. I did a decent job, NOT prefect, but decent.
3) I agreed with this very suggested plot earlier. In the books, her brother's deliver banner to Aragorn before Pelonnor Fields. There is no reason Arwen could not have done this role of bring hope to men instead of her brothers or Elrond.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be "Here's a female character who doesn't really do much in the trilogy. Let's make her into a fighter because reasons"

I don't mean to single you out here, but why is this line of rhetoric only aimed at Arwen, when virtually every male character — even ones of a child's stature — fight? One of the overriding points of the narrative, between the aloof Ents, the dismissal of Eowyn, the mocking of Merry, is that everyone should fight (or be allowed to fight) to preserve what they hold dear.

Tolkien's resounding dearth of female characters or their participation (whether fighting or otherwise) was a major flaw in his writings, no matter how talented the author. Having Eowyn be the only woman who eventually takes up a sword doesn't make her arc any more poignant, and Arwen's helpless stasis in Rivendell damages her character — especially after she was (rightly) incorporated into Fellowship in place of the superfluous Glorfindel.

Having Arwen participate at Helm's Deep would have improved the narrative and her character considerably. The reaffirmation of the bond between Elves and Humans was an inspired choice by Jackson to parallel the Last Alliance, but the form it took in Haldir leading the Silvan Galadhrim made zero logistical sense. Lorien was besieged by Sauron's forces all the while, and besides, Galadriel's telepathic conversation with Elrond put the onus on him to send aid ("Will you let them stand alone?"). Haldir even says Elrond sent him (...a Lorien elf, leading Lorien forces...), but that makes no sense considering geography, and is probably a holdover from Arwen's participation. Arwen leading a small contingent of remaining elves from Imladris would have been way more sensible, and her and her forces' continued participation in the story would have been better than the implication that every elf at Helm's Deep died.

Arwen is even shown being the key facilitator of Narsil's reforging, yet has her agency removed again with her father acting as its courier instead of her. Then there's the epilogue with her emerging from behind a flag to be Aragorn's reward... All of that could've been averted if she were an active participant from Helm's Deep onward. It could have even been at Helm's Deep, from Arwen, that Aragorn received Anduril.

OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Do you want another Tauriel? Because this is how you get another Tauriel.
The failure of Tauriel has nothing to do with her being a woman who fights, and everything to do with forcing her into a romantic subplot that wasn't originally scripted and came during reshoots.

And it sure as hell isn't like she is the lone point of fault with the Hobbit films.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Liv Tyler always looked bad fighting in the footage that was shot. It's talked about in this book. The way they used her in the final films worked a lot better than forcing something that didn't look right.

https://www.amazon.com/Anything-You-Can-Imagine-Middle-earth-ebook/dp/B0716L6FJD

Miranda Otto's fight with The Witch King led to one of the best movie moments in history, so I think their choices worked out alright. I say their, because Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens had as much input into story changes as Jackson did, even if he had the final say.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Jackson and his fellow writers went mad with power as the trilogy wore on and it really shows. I mean, imagine thinking it was a fight between Aragorn and Sauron at the end of the third film was okay for any length of time.

As for Arwen at Helms Deep, eh, they already brought in the Elves for nonsensical reasons. It wouldn't have changed things further.

Aragorn fighting Sauron was a story decision they made early on, that they later reversed. Most of the changes from the early scripts pushed the films closer to the books, so saying they went mad with power as the trilogy wore on is inaccurate.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day I shared a house with a New Zealander LOTR fanboy who knew people working on the film and Arwen's potential role expansion was the bane of his miserable life. Never stopped complaining about how these movies were gonna suck and Jackson was gonna turn them into low budget disaster.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Liv Tyler always looked bad fighting in the footage that was shot. It's talked about in this book. The way they used her in the final films worked a lot better than forcing something that didn't look right.

https://www.amazon.com/Anything-You-Can-Imagine-Middle-earth-ebook/dp/B0716L6FJD

Miranda Otto's fight with The Witch King led to one of the best movie moments in history, so I think their choices worked out alright.

It isn't as if Haldir's lone moment of fighting — getting wounded, distracted, then killed — looked all that majestic. Or most of Gimli's fighting, for that matter, which could be why he was more relegated to comedic bits. We don't know what she would have looked like in properly edited footage.

Eowyn's surmounting of the Witch King wouldn't have lost any potency by having Arwen also being an active participant. There's room for more than one woman...

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Liv Tyler talks about it in that book, if you care to know what the woman in question actually thinks.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Having Arwen participate at Helm's Deep would have improved the narrative and her character considerably. The reaffirmation of the bond between Elves and Humans was an inspired choice by Jackson to parallel the Last Alliance, but the form it took in Haldir leading the Silvan Galadhrim made zero logistical sense. Lorien was besieged by Sauron's forces all the while, and besides, Galadriel's telepathic conversation with Elrond put the onus on him to send aid ("Will you let them stand alone?"). Haldir even says Elrond sent him (...a Lorien elf, leading Lorien forces...), but that makes no sense considering geography, and is probably a holdover from Arwen's participation. Arwen leading a small contingent of remaining elves from Imladris would have been way more sensible, and her and her forces' continued participation in the story would have been better than the implication that every elf at Helm's Deep died.

Arwen is even shown being the key facilitator of Narsil's reforging, yet has her agency removed again with her father acting as its courier instead of her. Then there's the epilogue with her emerging from behind a flag to be Aragorn's reward... All of that could've been averted if she were an active participant from Helm's Deep onward. It could have even been at Helm's Deep, from Arwen, that Aragorn received Anduril.

Improvement could definitely been made here, but for many of the reasons you listed, it could have been done with the inclusion of the Dunedain (leave out the Sons of Elrond if you want). Now they're included earlier in the story, Aragorn is no longer the ONLY "one of them rangers", the reinforcements would make sense, and if you insist on having the Narsil -> Anduril forging be so late in the story (my biggest gripe from FotR), you have a convenient delivery method.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Aragorn fighting Sauron was a story decision they made early on, that they later reversed. Most of the changes from the early scripts pushed the films closer to the books, so saying they went mad with power as the trilogy wore on is inaccurate.

This. They had no idea now the films would be received commercially or critically when filming. There had to be intense pressure to play things safe throughout that initial filming period. I"m sure part of Aragon/Sauron was hedging their bets in the event that the studio decided that Frodo throwing the Ring into the volcano was too anti-climactic for the finale of the trilogy.