• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah the rest of the plot felt like random elements were just combined. Balloon house, ancient world, talking dogs.

There's a better way to tie into the theme of continuing to live and go on adventures with the rest of the movie then what it was.
The opening of Up makes for a great Pixar short but it felt like the higher ups wanted to add more accessible elements to be kid-friendly so they could have a feature length film that would make them money.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I remember seeing the movie in theaters and getting really invested in the scene until some dumbshit kid went "MOMMY WHY IS HE CRYING?" super loud. Then I kinda just didn't care.

I do love the movie though, but it doesn't have the emotional bite to it. I guess I'm one of the people who prefers the rest of it anyhow. Love the talking dog and Kevin. And the kid.

Parts of Coco really got me misty-eyed though! shame the first like 20 minutes of that movie is a fucking chore to get through.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I cry more at movies at age 35 than I ever did during my twenties.

I remember seeing Arrival with a first date and during the climax just losing it.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Searching was a movie where the premise is that it's mostly shot entirely from a computer screen with a couple cheats here and there.

To get people invested, they did a homage to that scene in Up, a brief opening detailing a happy family life disrupted by tragedy.

It was pretty effective and gets you on board with how you experience life from a computer!

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Yeah it was really emotional.

Another one that hits me every time is this one :

If you never saw this movie, please do yourself a favor and watch it.

There is something about growing up and losing our innocence... And maybe somehow get it back, at leastt a bit, that truly touches a chord everytime with me.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 52 and I cry about everything, it seems. I cried a couple of times during Spider-verse the other night. Lord help me if I watch one of those Thai insurance commercials.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Shame about the rest of the movie. I know some people already beat me to that comment but w/e

Coco made me cry at several points of the movie and for different reasons. By far the most emotional movie Pixar's ever made.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I have never understood the love for this movie. That entire opening is so hackneyed and the only reason people like it. I say this as someone who loves romantic films too (so people don't accuse me of being bitter or some shit, which is the only defense people seem to have).

Thank you. There is a small group of us out there that see the opening of Up as pure saccharine sweet garbage that was specifically designed to try to make you cry. It doesn't work on me. And I am a huge softy. But I think you have to earn it. As an example...

Bing Bong hit me the hardest

Fucks me up just thinking about it.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The end of Paddington 2 right before the credits. It is a moment you can see coming a thousand miles away. You tell yourself, "Oh, they are going to do this and it is going to be really nice."
And then they actually fucking do it. The neighbor goes, "We did this for you Paddington..."
And then the ugly cry starts. And not because it is sad, but because it is so fucking pure and sweet what they do for him that it is so overwhelming.
The movies are pure fucking magic.
MV5BYTIwNGFhNjItZDU4MC00M2ZiLTkwOWYtMzJlZDdjNjU2ZWY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1MzcwNTI@._V1_.jpg

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Seemed like a really good movie but I struggled so much in the first 20 minutes I turned it off. It really wasn't working for me. Felt very inert.
Oh, that's too bad. Maybe give it another chance if you ever feel like it. Both my wife and I had a seemingly unending stream of tears running down our faces, and that's not something that often happens when we watch movies together (and we watch quite a few).

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It definitely got me feeling a bit emotional. It was a great intro to a pretty fun movie.

The Land Before Time scene with Littlefoot's mother got me tearing up as a kid to the point where I refuse to watch it again. It's a shame that that series just turned into a bunch of cheesy musicals.

I don't think I could handle Grave of the Fireflies.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
The end of Paddington 2 right before the credits. It is a moment you can see coming a thousand miles away. You tell yourself, "Oh, they are going to do this and it is going to be really nice."
And then they actually fucking do it. The neighbor goes, "We did this for you Paddington..."
And then the ugly cry starts. And not because it is sad, but because it is so fucking pure and sweet what they do for him that it is so overwhelming.
The movies are pure fucking magic.
MV5BYTIwNGFhNjItZDU4MC00M2ZiLTkwOWYtMzJlZDdjNjU2ZWY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1MzcwNTI@._V1_.jpg
Yep

This makes me cry because it's so awesome and rewarding in the context of the movie. Life is hard

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

This part always seems to make someone cut onions nearby causing a reaction....

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
It's beautiful the way that Up takes the leitmotif established at the start and recontextualises it throughout to lend emotional weight to major steps in the character arc. What an incredible film.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I started crying but like trying to hide it and failing during the opening of Up in the cinema, felt really embarrassed because i was with a girl who did not look impressed at the time lol.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I first watched Up about a month after my grandmother died and let me tell you, that scene hit me like a ton of bricks.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I first watched Up about a month after my grandmother died and let me tell you, that scene hit me like a ton of bricks.
Oh yeah, watching it after recent stuff like a relationship ending or death in the family only makes it more emotional.

I watched it again about a month after my ex wife and I split and it did not go well.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Same here OP,
Up's intro is up there at #1 tear jerker.
---

My personal tear jerker comes from 2 Splinter speeches from TMNT 1990.

1) Splinter's one on one talk with Raph.

2) Camp fire meditation scene..

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I watched this years ago on Netflix having no idea what the beginning was like. Ten minutes in my 30 year old ass is tearing up. Up is a really great movie.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX

ok well, you assholes lead me down a youtube rabbit hole to somehow ending up watching this scene, so only fair to post it

9VBPNN3.gif

The 'You stay, I go' bit at the end of The Iron Giant wells me up like a baby, though.
When I 1st started dating my baby-momma I noticed she wasn't impacted by anything. I started calling her the Ice Queen.
Busted out the Iron Giant on her and my now step-daughter. Surely this has to do it.

Once that scene came up I looked over at her through bleary eyes..
Nothing.

Even now she only cries over finance issues. She remains the Ice Queen.

Edit: To be fair, I was raised by a single mom. I think the Iron Giant plucks father/son heartstrings.
Edit2: I think the "I am.. Super Man.." part gets me more than the "you stay, I go part". I guess same scene, but I lose it at that part when he closes his eyes.

Last edited:

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever people mention Grave of the Fireflies, I start to think of Now and Then Here and There.
Now that show. Oof.

Braindead

Oct 29, 2017
Got choked up watching Coco recently, but to this day I can't make myself rewatch this episode of Futurama...

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This and the ending of Grave of the Fireflies. Just completely emotionally devastating.
That's the only movie that's made me cry. I think that a lot of its impact came from not having preconceived notions about the film, so watching it after reading "it's the saddest movie ever" a hundred times likely would have weakened the impact the film had.
UP and Iron Giant, as mentioned above, are both good at producing feels as well.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That scene in up hit way too close to home for me:((((

Neverending Story is so cruel to a young kid:

SkinnyMetallicAquaticleech-small.gif

WavyAshamedGharial-small.gif