• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Im
Getting musty-eyed thinking about the scenes listed ITT!

Pixar are absolute bastards for it tho, and since becoming a dad and re-watching each of their movies with the kids they're a lot more impactful now than first watch.

Inside Out tho...I watched about 18mths after moving to Australia and I was still having a hard time adjusting, so not only did the film speak to me in every way possible, our daughter was also still adjusting and the two things combined with my guilt about moving them to Aus had me crying hard...and then they throw in Bing Bong, and both the kids looked at me & started cuddling me which made me even worse...Jesus I'm tearing up typing this lol!

Bastards.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
I had to NOPE out of this thread as soon as I saw the thumbnails of the videos.
I just can't watch this anymore, cause it's a guaranteed cry every single time.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shawshank redemption always make me tear up. That and ending of brokeback mountain. I am not gay but love is love. And that last scene is very powerful.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It made me sad but I didn't cry. But then, I was single at the time and had never dated.

Dunno how it would hit me now.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
There are a handful of scenes in The Thin Red Line that strike huge emotional chords with me. I was going through a divorce when I saw the movie and I was in a transitional phase in my life. I was very open and contemplative, so the poetry of that movie spoke directly to my soul. I remember weeping at 4-5 scenes in the movie. It was a rough time in my life but the movie gave me comfort and peace.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Was going through the channels about a week ago on a Saturday night, Up had just just started so left it on. Both myself and my wife were crying like babies at the end of the opening scene/montage even though it was at least the 20th time watching it. Really is incredible how well it is done. I also agree with whomever said the older I get the more it hits me.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
UP opening scene kills me, shame the rest of the movie was mostly a bit poor.

Someone did kind of ruin it for me though... He's clearly a fairly clever person, if he'd have just got a decent job, rather than balloon seller, then maybe they would have been able to afford to go on their adventures a bit earlier in life...

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's great. It's a pity the rest of the movie is sub par.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't feel anything except slight annoyance, and the rest of the movie was a 0/10.
It's pretty easy for a movie to make me cry, though.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's too bad. Maybe give it another chance if you ever feel like it. Both my wife and I had a seemingly unending stream of tears running down our faces, and that's not something that often happens when we watch movies together (and we watch quite a few).
Yeah, critically it seems to be buoyed pretty nicely. I'll come back to it!

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that scene almost made me cry. Almost.
The images combined with the music and the way i feel about my girlfriend made it very emotional.
And that's coming from a guy that literally never cries. Not proud of it, but it is what it is.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The week after my dad died, my mom took my little sister out to the movies just to get out of the house.

They saw Up.

It went about as well as you'd expect.

Oct 27, 2017
Forrest Gump crying at the grave towards the end always gets me so bad.

"If theres anything you need, I wont be far away."

:'(

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'm not afraid to admit that the ending of Toy Story 3 made me cry like a fucking baby

I wasn't prepared for the fucking haymaker of feels that ending gave even though the movie basically builds up to it the entire time.

Every time my 4 year old watches toy story 3 when the incinerator scene and the very end scene come on I have to go and make a cup tea or something...

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Yup this and the hugging/Riley breaking down in front of her parents scene in Inside Out always get me.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Pixar 100% has my number. My wife and I saw Up on opening night, it was before we were married and had kids but we wept at that scene. The whole theater aside from the kids was sniffling, with random "Why are you crying Mom/Dad?" being heard in between.

Fox and the Hound and Grave of the Fireflies also if you just want to get a real good cry out.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I never found this scene sad in Dumbo until I became a father.

anigif_enhanced-19439-1422919143-31.gif

Once I learned that the little girl who played Marie was murdered by her father before the film's release, I can't watch All Dogs Go To Heaven anymore.

672fb931e719bdf13b89a52fa234100d.png

And a few months before I became a dad, the endings of Logan and Guardians 2 absolutely wrecked me right there in the theater.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There are a handful of scenes in The Thin Red Line that strike huge emotional chords with me. I was going through a divorce when I saw the movie and I was in a transitional phase in my life. I was very open and contemplative, so the poetry of that movie spoke directly to my soul. I remember weeping at 4-5 scenes in the movie. It was a rough time in my life but the movie gave me comfort and peace.
Good to hear. I think Thin Red Line has got more emotional staying power than Saving Private Ryan if we're going with WW2 movies along with Come And See, Grave Of The Fireflies, and Schlinder's List.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big Fish. You know the scene. Never have I cried so hard in a public place before. I was a slobbery, snotty mess.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

"As a grown man"?

The older you get, the more this scene is going to get you really, this is no "only kids get the feels" type scene.

I'm only 28, and been married less than a year. I'm already more emotional about widowed spouse stuff and alike. Can't imagine when I've been married years and
have kids. I find people get more emotional as they age because you've had more experienced to tie into what you're seeing.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
And that's why Pixar is, imo, vastly superior to the other animation studios. When they want to hit the feels, they hit them harder than anybody else, just right, not over the top, just human. This scene made me teared up hard the first time, and still does. Masterful storytelling.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I cry to movies and TV. All the time. You all posted magnificent examples.

My master list:
  • Toy Story 3: incinerator and ending
  • Coco ending
  • Up beginning/ending
  • Dumbo's mom
  • Homeward Bound ending
  • Shawshank Redemption ending
  • Multiple scenes during FMA Brotherhood final battle. Greed's personal revelation, Al for Ed, Hoenheim scene
  • Neverending Story swamp scene
  • Guardians 2 ending
  • Gurren Lagann reunion scene
  • Castaway - Wilson scene
  • Hook - "lookie lookie" :(
  • A Star is Born - Sam Elliot driving away after he and his brother make amends, that brief glance back when you see him crying. I was blindsided by that. Also the ending.
  • E.T. - ending
  • It's a Wonderful Life - ending
  • Naruto Shippuden - when Naruto returns home from the fight with Pain, his teacher Iruka looks on as the villagers cheer him on and hug him, he thinks about the journey and growth Naruto went through to become the most hated boy in the village who desperately wanted to stop feeling alone to being someone who is celebrated and loved. The music swells and I bawl my eyes out.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Up! Is my favorite Pixar movie. I know for a fact I would be like Carl if my wife died before me. Watching it for the first time nearly brought me to tears. Such a strong impact especially for those who can connect to the relationship those two had.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't make me cry but I don't really cry from movies very often.

Only three at the top of my head are Cinema Paradiso, The End of the Tour, and La La Land.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm a sociopath, that didn't make me cry. hell I was hanging out in my grandparents house last month while my grandfather was laying dead and everyone was all emotional and it didn't phase me one bit.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Same, OP. My wife and I went to see Up in a packed theater. We must've been one of the only couples without kids. Damn if I didn't cry during both of those scenes. Tried my damndest to hide it because I felt so awkward.

And yes, I own the movie and still tear up on rewatches. Love Up. It's Pixar's best.