• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nesty_dara

Feb 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
There is still a substantial number of great quality indies coming out this month:

Creature in the Well
Overland
Children of Morta
Police Stories
Northgard

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel overwhelmed at all but I feel comfortable. Pokemon and Zelda are cool. Fire Emblem was great. It's a pretty decent pace of games that I appreciate. If I didn't own a PS4 I'd think it was slightly lacking but I get a lot of fix there.

I feel good about the lineup though.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Not to be dismissive(but I probably am) aren't most things shown just ports or graphically worse versions of games that already exist right now?

Why is there so much hype?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah I know the feeling. I've been feeling it for 4 generations of playstation in a row. Doing my best to clear the backlog.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
The feeling I get right now is that the Switch has the best library of any console ever. Its AAA third-party library is highly curated as a direct result of late ports. The same largely applies to indies. And of course Nintendo's first-party output is unrivaled. If things continue as they have been, the Switch will easily be my favorite console ever.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Something I learned from having all consoles and a gaming PC is to only want to play games you are really really interested in.

Otherwise you are just going to end up with a ridiculous backlog that you will never complete.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it's hell. i put a couple of hours in Mario Maker then FE came and then AC came and in 15 days Zelda will be here and Banjo just came out.Tetris got an update and tons of eshop stuff.

halp.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Not to be dismissive(but I probably am) aren't most things shown just ports or graphically worse versions of games that already exist right now?

Why is there so much hype?
For people who own other consoles besides a Switch, yes. Switch-only owners, or dedicated handheld players, probably get more hype from all these high caliber 3rd party ports.

But I already played better looking, running and sounding versions of games like Diablo 3, Dragon Quest 11, The Witcher 3, Overwatch and whatnot for hundreds of hours on a PS4 Pro, so of course these ports do nothing for me. DQ11 offers a nice 2D mode and some other additions, but after 160 hours I can't take any more DQ11.

Even the Xenoblade Remake left me cold, after spending a similar amount of time with the original (and not liking it in the end when I found out I was heavily underleveled for the final boss, so I just quit the game and sold it).

All these Remakes and ports of older games, yet no Metroid Prime Trilogy. Thanks no, Nintendo.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't think with Switch it's been anything special or moreso than any other devices or pc's. It's vastly superior to Wii U sure but it's certainly not any better compared to the competition either. They all feel overwhelming in terms of choice and time.

In regards to the Switch itself I find it's Online capability lacking, no achievements, no real deep online discounts or compared to PSN OR XBL., not great performing in portable mode, those sticks controls in portable are really uncomfortable for me compared to a traditional controller.

I mean it's good selection of games these days sure but quite a few games are rereleases from last gen or a few years old already or had ports from Wii U. it's a bit weird to say it's never been overwhelming with the amount of games since PS2 as if to just dismiss everything else until September 2019 on everything else. A lot has come and gone.

I guess if you just own a Switch and nothing else and been completely oblivious to any other games on other platforms be it ports or new games maybe it feels that way but I don't think many people do?

I have played through 4 Switch exclusive games since launch and the rest I would have played on other devices as they perform better so I don't feel overwhelmed with the Switch itself on its own.

But when I include it with other devices I own I find I don't have the time to play it that often even if one or two new games interest me on it. That's what I find overwhelming a combination of PC, Switch and PS4. I definately don't find Switch on its own oveewhelming.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I have been enjoying games like Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, and just picked up Deadly Premonition but "overwhelmed" is not the word. Maybe for switch-only owners who don't care about anything outside of what a Nintendo platform offers then I can see that.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's cool to see some big name 3rd party ports coming to the Switch. Who cares if they are old. Those are great additions to a library with a ton of quality indies and of course the many Nintendo first party exclusives.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Me for the last 18 months: Put everything on Switch!!

Me this week: Stop putting things on Switch, I beg you

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, the direct was boring since all the ports are uninteresting to me. Thank Zeus for my PS4 backlog or I'd have nothing to play.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Don't let the people downplaying games as "old" or "already played" deflate your hype and enjoyment or otherwise make you feel embarrassed, OP.

I get the feeling, and it's absolutely incredible.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch will go down as Nintendo's best software library and it won't even be close. it's crazy

right now its only competition is the SNES and I don't know, it might already be over

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, Deadly Premonition is basically a PS2 game so it makes sense you feel the same way

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Yeah this basically. The Switch library is a hell of a thing.

I mean if it's your only platform you primarily game on then yea, there's a lot to play on switch. But if your the kind of person who has other consoles, and ways or has played all those third party titles and at much cheaper prices, then switch is kind of meh outside of Nintendo First party.

It's the main reason I sold mine.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I know the feeling, I have games that I've bought on sale that have been installed on my Switch for months now and I haven't had a chance to touch them.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you are cause I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I had fire emblem, and I won't have anything until Zelda (admittedly, FE is covering up time really nicely). Nothing interested me or is a port of something I played. I might pick up River city girls just to ride out the time until Zelda.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I haven't purchased this many physical games since the PS2/DC era. And if you'd told me that I wouldn't purchase Astral Chain at launch because I'm still playing Fire Emblem, Mario Maker and Smash DLC, I wouldn't have believed you.

There's just way too much, and Switch (and Bloodborne) has (have) saved this generation of consoles from being a wash.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean if it's your only platform you primarily game on then yea, there's a lot to play on switch. But if your the kind of person who has other consoles, and ways or has played all those third party titles and at much cheaper prices, then switch is kind of meh outside of Nintendo First party.

It's the main reason I sold mine.

I have both an Xbox One and a PS4, I'm going to be playing Gears 5 tonight on the former and MHW Iceborne tomorrow on the latter

And I stand by my comment. It's an amazing system. I'll echo the above- best games for Nintendo since the SNES.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
User banned (1 day): Threadwhining, driveby
Pretty successful validation thread all things considered. 8 pages too. Nice.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's anything special and the comparison with the PS2 seems a bit off. But to each his own of course

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I have both an Xbox One and a PS4, I'm going to be playing Gears 5 tonight on the former and MHW Iceborne tomorrow on the latter

And I stand by my comment. It's an amazing system. I'll echo the above- best games for Nintendo since the SNES.

Sure. You do you.

I stand by the same sentiment I see with some posters on here, that getting a bunch of late ports, and third party games that are severely down graded is not something I would compare to snes.

SNES had some of the best versions of third party games. On switch thats not the case. Maybe for some that make sense like Indie titles. But to say mortal kombat, witcher 3, doom and the likes are best played on switch is really reaching.

It's awesome that they can run on that system and are available for those who primarily play switch and want those titles for on the go. But that library is not for everyone.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure. You do you.

I stand by the same sentiment I see with some posters on here, that getting a bunch of late ports, and third party games that are severely down graded is not something I would compare to snes.

SNES had some of the best versions of third party games. On switch thats not the case. Maybe for some that make sense like Indie titles. But to say mortal kombat, witcher 3, doom and the likes are best played on switch is really reaching.

It's awesome that they can run on that system and are available for those who primarily play switch and want those titles for on the go. But that library is not for everyone.

OK then!

I was just kinda refuting your claim that no one with a PlayStation can care that much about this so I'm happy to drop this here and echo what you just said regarding your subjective opinion of preferring TW3 on an Xbox One or a PS4:

You do you.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed!! Zelda in a couple weeks or so, and then Luigis Mansion 3 next month not to mention all the amazing Indie titles and other things announced and talked about today. I also have a PS4 Pro and i'm trying to keep up there as well.

No mention of Metroid Prime Trilogy yet (which is basically all but confirmed to be coming), and they still have Super Mario 3D World that they could easily bring to Switch that so many missed out on who didnt own a WiiU. My guess is we'll see both of those announced next year. Then Metroid Prime 4 that is also being made but probably wont see the light of day until 2021.

Oct 28, 2017
This is just the beginning, almost all games from previous generation and even most games from current generation can be put up on switch.
Its glorious for a handheld device.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Agree with OP. There is also my PS4 backlog to add on that, but switch line up doesn't stop...halp

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I feel like PS4 was adding its line up with more sparse titles in the first 3 years.
At the same point in time as switch right now I had already a backlog, but nothing like this.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
My backlog is too big on Switch. I bought a bunch of games I haven't even touched yet like DQB2 and Rabidds Kingdom Battle. This month alone I have Link's Awakening, AI: The Somnium Files, and DQXI. It's even worse when I look at my PS4 especially since FFXIV has taken over my life for the last 2 months.

And fucking Monster Hunter tomorrow. Too many games on every platform

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
After three generations of getting all the consoles, if this keeps up I'm leaning towards just going single console Switch in the future.
Between (married with children,) Netflix and soon Disney+ I can hardly dedicate the time to play a 30 hour game on the TV, and all the shorter games are also on Switch anyway.

I feel ya, I'm contemplating it too...majority of my play time right now is on Switch anyways and I'm having a blast and quite frankly not really missing my 1X or Pro.

The Switch has def. moved to the forefront of my gaming space and I don't really see that changing. Once BOTW 2 hits....ho boy lol.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
We are feeling the same on PS4/PC.. heck I haven't had time to finish Switch games because of it.. I'm finishing Control right before GreedFall comes out... then off to the next which is Concrete Genie... Then weeks after we got MW and MediEvil.... You get the drill...

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I feel the same, too many games I should buy and a big backlog (poor Celeste, Hollow Knight, TWEWY, ...)

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
still on my first path too. its honestly too much, i need all these games
I beat the 4th story first and luckily I created a save before "the decision" in the black eagles so I can grab that one prob in 20hrs. Starting Blue Lions and Golden Deer from Scratch and playing both up until the time skip.

This game is so deep. I have no idea how they expect us to play more games with a game that has this much content. I'm guessing most ppl dropped it.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, why would those games sell you on a Switch when you (presumably) already have a means of playing them?
I only tend to buy one console. So, if Nintendo can not offer those games going forward then I won't consider them. I would love to play their first-party stuff but not at the expense of missing so many big games.

Jun 10, 2018
Definitely a nice rebound from the 3DS. Switch is not quite DS level, but it certainly is GBA tier, and I'm more than fine with that.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I feel especially overwhelmed since I buy my games physical.
It's super inconvenient to play two games at the same time.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are drooling over years old console ports on handheld now?

How times have changed...
People are enjoying fully featured ports of console games on a system that has the power and Buttons to do them justice in addition to a lot of high quality, high production value exclusive content.
The Vita wasn't anything approaching the scenario above , so you guys can stop pretending people are hypocritical now.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Really? Every other console and PC get way more games (and WAY more AAA games) than Switch. Was OP hiding under the rock since PS2?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People are enjoying fully featured ports of console games on a system that has the power and Buttons to do them justice in addition to a lot of high quality, high production value exclusive content.
The Vita wasn't anything approaching the scenario above , so you guys can stop pretending people are hypocritical now.

First, the concept itself of "console gaming on the go" was mocked so power wasn't even an issue for the critics back then. Furthermore the difference of power between the Vita and the PS360 was much lower than between the Switch and the PS4/XB1.

So yeah, it's extremely funny to see the turn on that concept now that Nintendo is doing it.