• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've recently been playing plenty of Wii U and Switch over the holidays, and I keep coming back to the same feeling - I prefer the Wii U in a lot of ways. Or... I preferred the Wii U at the time, if that makes sense. As in, for its time it was a better product - for me - than the Switch. This is such a strange feeling for me, because I can fully recognise that the Wii U was a disastrous product in so many ways and the Switch is a blatant home run - and I do like it. Yet for me - in the way that I personally have used both consoles - I can't deny that the Wii U was a better piece of hardware, and certainly better value. So I was wondering if I'm way out on my own with this one or whether anyone else agrees.

My reasons:
I get nothing from the Hybrid feature of the Switch that I didn't get from Wii U
This one really surprised me. I almost never play in handheld mode despite loving playing Vita and 3DS and putting a thousand hours into each. So I assumed I'd use handheld mode a ton. But after more than half a year with the Switch, I realise that since I can play on the big screen - since I know it's an option - I always want to. I always want that bigger screen real estate, that better resolution. So the handheld mode gets very little use, unless the TV is in use. And in that case I could just use the Wii U gamepad in the same way for most games.

I've never taken my Switch outside. I've taken it on two trips only for it to be ignored due to being busy / social. That's par for the course for handhelds for me - I always just used them in the living room anyway. When I do use the Switch in handheld mode, I'm impressed with the screen and the visuals but I'm also looking forward to docking it again. So, despite the thing being the best handheld ever made, I really only use it as a home console. So that's what it is to me. And yes, this part is totally subjective and based on my own usage. But it means it functions the same as the Wii U did - I'm getting fundamentally the same experience from both.

The Switch is underpowered home console

Look, the Wii U was a little bit underpowered for its time, but it was a huge leap into the HD era for Nintendo and as such I loved it. Just seeing all the classic Nintendo franchises with an HD lick of paint was a real treat, a pleasure that didn't wear off for a solid year or two. And for a year Nintendo was back on par with the other consoles I owned, which was nice. More importantly, the games just looked great.

With the Switch, I really feel like I've paid money just to end up playing a marginally more powerful Wii U most of the time. I was shocked how little difference there was in Zelda when I got it for Switch. I just played XC2 and went back to XCX to compare - as far as I'm concerned XCX looks better both on the big screen and on the gamepad / portable screen. And as a PS4 Pro / 4k TV owner, It's tough going from the likes of Horizon back down to this level of visual quality again and knowing that's it for the next couple of years. Since I only use the thing as a home console, I find myself wishing that my money had gone towards a bit more computing power rather than the hybrid nature of the device. I can't lie - disappointment with the graphics was a recurring thought I had while playing both Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Many won't care about that stuff. I found I noticed it.

The Switch is an overpriced home console (with poor pack-in controllers)

Carrying on from that previous point, given that to me it's just an underpowered home console, it was tremendously overpriced. It was 300 euros with no game. I disliked the joycons and grip controller so much (a serious rarity for a Nintendo console) that I felt obliged to buy the Pro Controller for 70 euros. That's 370 (euros!) altogether to get the full console experience with a decent controller.

On the other hand, I got a white Wii U a year after launch (new) with two games for 200 US dollars. It was a ridiculous bargain and a bit of an unfair comparison as it was after a year and steep price cuts, but even if I had paid 300 dollars standalone (no game) I would have been getting a reasonably powerful console with a good controller (I love the gamepad's ergonomics) for much, much less than I paid for the underpowered Switch.

Again, to be clear, I feel like I spent 370 euros and I'm really just playing a very similar standard of games to what I was playing on Wii U for the last 4 years and that's what feels so weird.

The Wii U has "Nintendo Charm" that the Switch lacks and I prefer the OS
This will be controversial but I prefer everything about the Wii U's OS bar the speed. I found the home screen and bubbles attractive and the Miiverse implementation endlessly charming from moment one. There was an instant emotional connection there. With Switch's OS you might as well be using a nondescript budget tablet - it's the same old flat, minimalist design every modern device uses, with no 'Nintendo twist' to it at all. Even the store is dull and boring compared to the Wii U's musical and inviting store front. I'll always remember migrating my Wii data to the Wii U and seeing all the little pikmin that obviously live inside there doing their best to move my stuff around. It was a gorgeous little touch in a console stuffed full of them. The Wii U constantly made me smile, just using it.

Sure, the Wii U had a pretty shite online infrastructure... but so does the Switch right now. At least the Wii U had apps and VC games by this point in its life. While on the other hand the Switch has nothing... but it's planned to put online multiplayer behind a paywall. That's gross. Ultimately there's just so much missing from the Switch right now to make it feel like a true Nintendo device.

Backwards Compatibility
Ignoring the VC, the Wii U plays all my Wii games. Using Nintendon't it plays all of my Gamecube games as well. That means feels like two decades of Nintendo history in a little white box. The Switch, for obvious reasons, has no backwards compatibility at all. Add the VC and the thing feels like a wonderbox, even if the emulation is disappointing.

Conclusion
I'm not going to make arguments that I don't believe in to score points - for example the Wii U has dual screen / asymmetric / second screen gameplay and the Switch doesn't, but I found asymmetric gameplay to be pretty much a total failure so I don't really care about that. I'm not going to argue about the games, as this is purely about the hardware (and games is a fight the Wii U can't win).

And I know that the Switch is a brilliant handheld - anyone who uses it as such primarily is getting the biggest step up in a generation (3DS -> Switch) we've seen in ages. Anyone who uses it as a hybrid a lot basically gets the utility of two consoles for the price of one. Add an insane first year of games and gorgeous industrial design and it's no wonder its been such a massive success - it's totally warranted.

But for this particular Nintendo fan I can't escape my true feelings... I preferred the Wii U.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The Wii U has "Nintendo Charm" that the Switch lacks and I prefer theOS"

Stop right the fuck there

Maybe Switch lacks charm but come on, Wii U OS is so bad it prevented me to play it some times

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.
- Hardware feels better
- OS isn't such a drag like on the Wii U
- everything is fast
- Nintendo isn't just playing it safe with its games
- And I love taking my Switch and therefore my games with me while travelling
(and the Switch is a powerful Handheld with home console functions)

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The Wii-U does feel like a Nintendo console such as the N64 or Gamecube. I can see that "Nintendo feel."

The Switch is well designed, but it feels like it's made to appease stockholders. The Switch was a "make or break" system for Nintendo after the Wii-U, they had to make sure it was a success.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is arguably a little bland but I think the Wii U may be the worst console in 20+ years. The games are good but just everything about it is awful on the hardware level. Ugly, slow, confusing, unnecessary. All the worst.

It has that "Nintendo feel" but only because it feels like a weird parody of how bad Nintendo was at designing hardware for a few years there.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. I am so opposite to everything you said there. However, you have a right to your opinion / feelings.

Switch Hardware is one of the most compelling things about the thing. The only thing that the Wii U Hardware offered me was hiding goofy internet things behind curtains at the beginning of its life. Everything else just felt off to me.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the Switch is an underpowered home console, but it's in a much better position to make good looking games than the WiiU was.

despite how much I rag on the Switch for being weakshit slowsauce I honestly think it's in a good position hardware wise, along with its portability features which are just surprisingly easy to use

The biggest issue i have with Switch actually has less to do with its hardware and more with how software developers are biting off way more than they can chew (Xenoblade 2). It just draws way too much attention to the console's shortcomings...but that's just an age-old Nintendo issue that's never going to go away.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This might be the only "Am I the only one who..." where the answer is actually yes. It's just you.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I prefer on the Wii U over the Switch is the current library availability. That and a stylus so I can play Picross like a gentleman and not some sort of neanderthal. Pretty much all else goes to the Switch.

Aesthetic

Nov 6, 2017
Texas, USA
I had that same feeling about switch and Wii U. With Wii U I could easily "switch" from TV to Gamepad if I felt the need to. Needing to undock feels like too much work VS getting the gamepad.

I also don't take my Switch out so its mostly just docked. I still take my 3DS with me when I go out though (Smash 3DS).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda understand where you're coming from, but no. I feel that the Switch hardware is much much better and more worthwhile than the Wii U's,

Neufr0

Nov 20, 2017
The only thing I regret is the double screen. Everything else is better on switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah your arguements make no sense of how you're comparing the Switch and Wii U. The Switch is an underpowered home console? So what does that make the Wii U? Give me a break dude.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I would take the speed and snappiness of the Switch over the Wii U's "charm" every time.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the *feel* of the Gamepad vs. the Switch in handheld mode (it's just more comfortable, real d-pad, etc.), but everything else about the Switch is superior... you don't have to worry about range/line-of-sight for the Gamepad to work, screen quality is better, performance is better, and I like the minimalist UI vs. the Mii-centric one on Wii U (I'm kinda done with the whole Mii thing tbh; hope it gets an overhaul at some point), and unlike a lot of folks, I'm kinda over VC. I'd rather we not just get bare-bone emulated games with save states. I'd rather they be more fully featured, and like the original Wii VC, have games from more rare systems and more arcade games.

I have very fond memories of the Wii U -- it was my most played console while it was active, especially throughout 2014 and 2015 -- but the Switch is just better. Also, the hybrid aspect has fundamentally changed how and when I consume games. I now see sitting in front of a PC or traditional console rather limiting... there's a time and place for that, but the convenience of the Switch has me playing those other platforms less.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
not even remotely in the same ballpark

wii u, not only was the hardware really cheap feeling, but they never even bothered to make games that would take advantage of it. so not only was it a flimsy piece of plastic, no one took advantage of the potential it had. it's a pretty sad story and console all together. I enjoyed mine too, for the games it had, but the system itself... nope

switch itself is a very sleek, fast design that achieved its goal of being a hybrid right away for a huge majority of users

glad you like it though. I'm still bitter I couldn't even use my Wii U gamepad less than a room away (I'm talking four feet). The range on that thing was... disappointing to say the least.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Not even one bit.
I look at the Switch as an amazing handheld gaming device that I can hook up to my TV, rather than a home console. It helps!

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, no. The Wii U OS was even slower than the PS3 OS, for that alone I don't even want to turn it on again.

The Switch OS is a fucking dream.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii U feels like a toy compared to the Switch. The Fisher Price comparisons didn't become apparent to me until I saw the Switch.

OP
OP
Bán

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would take the speed and snappiness of the Switch over the Wii U's "charm" every time.

And I'd trade that snappiness for a bit of that old-school charm. I knew that would put me in the minority, seems I was right.

One thing is for sure... it's a good thing Nintendo didn't design their new console for me. There's no doubt that another dedicate home console would have been a massive failure. But it would have been a massive failure that was right up my alley, like the Wii U was.

Wii U feels like a toy compared to the Switch. The Fisher Price comparisons didn't become apparent to me until I saw the Switch.

Oh, the second I saw the Wii U 'Fisher Price' was the first thing I thought. But it was comfortable as hell so I liked it. Made a terrible first impression though.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, um no. Though both the Wii U and Switch blow away the atrocity known as the Wii so at least there is that.

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii U gamepad felt like a toy. Whether that makes it feel more "Nintendo-like" is open to an individuals interpretation.

The Switch feels like a well-designed piece of hardware that is very slick. It doesn't look like a lunchbox with a handle. It's not a clamshell design to throw in your pocket (for better or worse). It seems like a very modern console for Nintendo.

Things like UI and VC should only improve with time (hopefully!).

javac

Oct 28, 2017
The Switch in handheld mode gives me hand cramps which is why I was always confused when people talked shit about the ergonomics of the gamepad, shit was comfy as fuck.

Nov 14, 2017
The Wii U sucked. The only redeeming quality other than some of the games was the Wii U Pro Controller. Everything else was a turd.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
vizzini.gif

I'm a staunch Nintendo supporter, but no.

Let it die!!!

Oct 31, 2017
This may be a matter of taste but the Switch's minimalistic UI is exactly what I want. "Here's your games, play one." No bullshit animations weighing it down.

OP
OP
Bán

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And "marginally more powerful than Wii U" is just a joke, man. You're really underplaying the power under the hood here. Switch is no slouch. Every Wii U port performs better and it can hang with the big boys (PS4 and XBO) better than we thought it could.

That's not what it felt like when I was playing both over the holidays. I felt like moving from PS4 Pro to Wii U / Switch was moving from one plateau to another. That Switch and Wii U were roughly on the same level. Granted a lot of this is that I just spent 100 hours playing XB2 and that game looks like ass either docked or undocked, but even a game like Splatoon 2 - there's a nice resolution boost and it does look better, but not massively so. Granted, Nintendo's games typically have such a good art style that it doesn't matter much, but Mario Odyssey, Zelda, XB2, Pokken Tourney DX... these were all games where I felt like the hardware should have been capable of more. And where if it had been a dedicated home console it definitely would have been capable of a lot more.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
- Wii U felt and look like a cheap plastic toy
- UI looked horrible
- gamepad was too big and uncomfortable

For me of course.

Also: "I get nothing from the Hybrid feature of the Switch that I didn't get from Wii U" - um... if I remember correctly I can't take my Wii U's gamepad from the TV room and go with gamepad alone on a trip and play in a hotel.

I agree that it's a shame there's no backwards compatibility.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree. The one thing the Switch has over the Wii U is full portability but I rarely need that these days. The Wii U reaches my bed and that's enough for me. Sure, the UI might be better but there is no MiiVerse and who gives a shit about UI really? I never understood why people make a big deal out of that. It's there to start the game.

The Wii U gamepad on the other hand was actually a really cool selling point and useful for couch play. One person playing on the pad while the other on the TV in games like Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors was awesome and some smaller games in Nintendo Land and that Wario game whatever it was called were really fun. It was also pretty cool how the Wii U had BC with both games and controllers while the Switch has neither.

The Switch has full portability and that's the advantage, for me personally.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with most of those points, but it does sound like your situation doesn't make much good use of the Switch's main feature, which is its portability. I have definitely carried it out to play, and pulled it out of its dock even at home to play in places away from the TV. Hell, sometimes I pull it out to play in handheld mode even when I'm in front of the TV, so that someone else can use the TV to watch something while I play. These are huge advantages for me, but if you have no use for those advantages then I can see why it may feel pointless.

As for the power and graphics, I feel like console power has kind of stagnated as of late, but I also care much less about it these days, so I don't really care how a game looks anymore as long as it's fun. The power feels fine for me, though again, if you're looking for a powerful home console and can always play at home, then the Switch is not an optimal solution for your situation. You sound like you'd be better served by a dedicated home console.

For the "nintendo feel", I kind agree because the Switch doesn't feel as solid and robust as most Nintendo consoles. I'm always worried I'll break the damn thing. But it does feel like it has a good amount of thought put into its design, and many of its more fragile points, such as the joycons, seem to be intended to sacrifice durability for versatility so that it can be played in many different configurations. Which I'm fine with, though I do miss the durable feel.

I love the joycons, by the way. I think it's really comfortable to play with controller halves that don't make me put my hands together, especially since they're both wireless.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
WiiU OS was horrible and playing games on the game pad was hit or miss as far as support goes. Also in my house anyway, anywhere that wasn't in front of my tv that I would conceivably want to play at (bed, office, bathroom, etc) didn't work. It was useless to me because anywhere it actually worked the TV screen would be visible anyway.

Oct 31, 2017
Actually OP, as someone who doesn't gain much from the portability factor, I too kind of feel that the Wii U was a superior console hardware. I tend to prefer to do my gaming in front of a tv in a relaxed position, and having a portable complementary to that is gravy.

Two things that I think the Wii U definitively does superior to the Switch: the gamepad is far more ergonomic/comfortable to use than the Switch is in portable mode, and, having the headphone jack in the gamepad meant that I could be sitting across the room from a TV and still have headphones on. With the Switch you have to be right next to your setup/TV in order to wear headphones.

And I also kind of agree with you that the Wii U feels more like a Nintendo console than the Switch does, simply on the build quality and how solid and sturdy both the console itself and the gamepad feel. The Switch feels kind of cheap and flimsy by comparison.