• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
The Switch back is completely flat, what do you do with your hands? Needs ridges to rest your fingers and grip so it's actually playable for longer than 10 minutes without cramping like so

Can't speak for VaporSnake but this works for me. Pretty comfortable, I can play for hours on end, no issues.
fYRQgor.jpg

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I think I liked Wii U more, but I really like Switch too. I only play my Switch at home so it's portability isn't necessarily improved over Wii U for me. Switch is missing all sorts of awesome things that I loved about Wii U:

-Resistive touchscreen
-Stylus
-Miiverse
-Infrared sensor I could use as a TV remote
-That Mii plaza thing (Waru Waru?)
-Dual screen gaming (Splatoon 2 is sorely missing this)
-A bajillion times more comfortable to hold than a Switch

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with the Wii U UI is that it was slow as shit. Other than that I prefer it to the Switch UI, which feels like a step backwards from the channel stuff Nintendo has been doing since the Wii.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'll just say I disagree.

Dual analogs on the top was horrendous to me. So happy they didn't do that again

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Switch isn't a confusing ball of clusterfucks.

Wii U killed the Wii brand on its own. A massive 100M userbase. That tells you all you need to know, really.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I really enjoyed my time with the Wii U (I like quirky games and the "droughts" didn't mean a thing to me, as I don't have tons of time to dedicate to gaming), but as someone who's been a Nintendo fan since the NES, it's hard to deny that the Switch is spearheading a Nintendo renaissance while the Wii U was an off-season.

OP, you make your reasons clear for the personal preference, but I think the amount of extremely specific personal reasons, caveats, and "if you do this" or "if you're like this" reasons speak to why the Switch has been received so much better. As hardware, the Switch doesn't require nearly as many caveats for either the average user or the superfan to find it appealing.

One thing I'd objectively disagree with you on, though, is "underpowered." Both the Wii U and Switch existed or exist in a market alongside the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Based on its architecture alone, the Switch is a far more modern piece of hardware than the Wii U. When your console is 6 inches wide, running lower-res versions of current-gen games like Doom and Rocket League ain't "underpowered."

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I think the switch is a far more compelling product than the WiiU.
Imo and that's really clear when i get back to it, the WiiU is one of the most crappy hardware i've ever experienced.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
God no.

Wii U was a frankenstein of a system that had no coherent thought put to it. It's main features made it way too expensive for what it was and was never able to be price dropped appropriately due to that, and they barely even used the unique controller. the OS was slow as molasses and actively made me use it less. The controller had a smaller battery life than the actual switch undocked, the screen was crappy and the touch screen was awful. It felt bad to hold (barely better than switch handheld). You couldnt use a Wii remote or a pro controller without the gamepad which made no sense, so youd have to take out two controller just to not use the gamepad, and if you wanted to go into the settings, you guessed it you had to use the gamepad. It was confusing as fuck what you could use when, they couldnt decide because they gave no thought to what the console should actually be. The Wii was great in its simplicity and focus in its vision. The Wii U was a drunken rambling mess. Switch I was worried would be the same, cuz it included so many different aspects, but they actually made it a simple, easy to understand use and play package. This is exactly why its enjoying success as did the wii.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I don't agree with you but I see where you are coming from and can appreciate your points, OP. I wish the Switch had a bit more personality or charm, maybe it could come in the form of themes, homescreen/eShop music, and/or a Miiverse 2.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing about this is that pretty much everything Nintendo have released so far would have started life as a Wii U title!

I think the Wii U's failure has made the Switch that much more attractive for a lot of people.
After 2014 you could see how they switched (haha) focus to their new platform.
Wii U was already dead at that point but besides Splatoon and funding Bayonetta 2,
everything was just another sequel to a 3DS or Wii game (even tho DKC TF was awesome).

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Get the basstop switch dpad. Problem solved.

I hate the idea of getting any kind of an unofficial controller mod for a console still on the market. I don't even fully know why, I wouldn't have as much of a problem doing this with a Gamecube or PS2 controller but for this it just feels wrong. Like I'm playing the games on the console as they come out in a way not intended. I know this is completely irrational though.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the idea of getting any kind of an unofficial controller mod for a console still on the market. I don't even fully know why, I wouldn't have as much of a problem doing this with a Gamecube or PS2 controller but for this it just feels wrong. Like I'm playing the games on the console as they come out in a way not intended. I know this is completely irrational though.

That is understandable. I rarely remove the joycons and play in handheld mode most of the time, and when i do dock it, i use a Pro Controller. For me, it was an easy decision. Also, if you are not completely comfortable taking these things apart, it can be pretty nerve wracking. I definitely highly recommend it though, even if you just use it even as a spare one.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
WiiU was the worst Nintendo console of all time. The hardware is the ugliest and hardest to use. The concept made no sense. The UI was super slow. And the software while it had some good games it was horrible in terms of quantity compare to almost all consoles ever created.

Clix

Banned
I love the Wii U but I also love Switch. Why not both as they say!

Wii U was a great console IMO so I will leave it at that.

That said, regarding the OS. Here is the thing. I love the presentation and snappiness of the Switch OS, however, I do love the Wii U OS better. Not talking speed. Just the presentation and layout.

I like the folders, I like the music, the color scheme, and I loved pressing X and going to the now trending section regarding games and player comments on said games. Also, I like the eShop better on the Wii U. It had cool music, and it had a better storefront page. The Switch OS just takes you to a list of games. Which is great, but would like a storefront that has "featured games", player picks, editor's choice, etc.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Not by a million miles. Wii U gamepad felt like, and still feels like, Baby's First Tablet. The screen on it was awful.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
I could tell you my opinion, but I'm still downloading the launch update on my Wii U. Just 3 more years to go though!