• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
As new cases of coronavirus continue to rise in a number of countries around the world, worrying divides have begun to form as those opposed to mask-wearing decry recommendations and requests to cover their faces to help stop the spread of the virus.
In Japan, mask-wearing is not mandatory but it doesn't really have to be, as masks have been a part of everyday life here even before coronavirus. However, while the large majority of the public is masking up during the pandemic, a small faction of anti-maskers has appeared, and they're not just opposed to masks — they are against any form of restraint in regards to stopping the spread of the virus.
The group is being led by YouTuber and leader of the Popular Sovereignty Party Masayuki Hiratsuka, who ran an unsuccessful campaign in the July Tokyo Gubernatorial Election. His campaign slogan, "Coronavirus is just a cold" failed to gain traction with voters, but that doesn't mean he hasn't picked up followers who agree with his views.
On Aug 9, a number of party supporters gathered for a "Cluster Protest" outside Shibuya Station, where people held up placards that read "Masks, Social Distancing, The 'Three Cs', Self-restraint Not Necessary." The group, which included women with babies and toddlers, were all unmasked for the three-hour-plus-long protest outside the station.
In a YouTube video uploaded to his channel a day before the protest, Hiratsuka encouraged people to join him in "hijacking" the Yamanote Line with unmasked passengers after the demonstration, so that passengers with masks would "feel stupid" for wearing them.

japantoday.com

Anti-mask group in Tokyo slammed for 'cluster festival'

As new cases of coronavirus continue to rise in a number of countries around the world, worrying divides have begun to form as those opposed to mask-wearing decry recommendations and requests to cover their faces to help stop the spread of the virus. In Japan, mask-wearing is not mandatory but...

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
"led by a YouTuber" makes this make a lot more sense, the idolatry people get from their videos will always be lost on me.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Can we just, like, i dunno, free up a country and let all the non-mask wearing anti-vaxers live there while the rest of the world tries to use common sense and decency to limit the spread of this virus?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think COVID spent DNA points on paranoia.

I read a medical paper today that found 55% of those infected with Covid 19 get brain structure changes (damage), even without any real symptoms. The loss of smell is probably actually brain damage.

it was a real well carried out study seemingly and corroborates some other studies and findings.

Sooo it's a real possibility.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, not even Japan, with its cultural mask use, is immune to social media nonsense.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't read much into this. The turnout was fairly low, and everyone online is slamming them for being absolute idiots.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
This anti-mask ideology is a disease, just like covid itself. Except it can spread online.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
A pretty compelling theory as to why people believe in conspiracy theories is that despite their often outlandish nature, they're actually a more comforting perspective of the world than the overwhelming nuanced and complicated truth.

It makes sense then, that in this period of great and terrifying existential dread, more and more people around the world are refusing to stare the truth in the face, and are finding sweet comfort in denying any actual danger. "It's just the flu. Our civil liberties are more important than a passing virus. It's Bill Gates and the media that are controlling the narrative." What a mess.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I actually passed by those idiots on Sunday, they were a like a couple dozen people?
Guy and his goons are stupid but definitely don't reflect any big trend here.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Maskless mass gathering in Tokyo? I could understand if it was in the ass end of nowhere like here, but Tokyo?

Come on now :/

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I was hoping the world wouldn't follow this country's path but you're right, there are stupid people all over the world.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
These ideas aren't limited by culture, social media is obviously becoming a real tangible issue.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
anti maskers in a place where people regularly wear masks all the time, predating corona ? ok

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Social Distancing, stay at home, mask wearing American here. Will trade a spot to a mask denier in Japan for a spot in mask denying America. DM me Japan's government.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Off-topic, but I think the word "cluster" hits me the same way "moist" does for some people. It skeeves me out for some reason...

Magni

anti maskers in a place where people regularly wear masks all the time, predating corona ? ok

Nobody wore masks here in the summer, it's miserable. People have always worn masks when they have a cold (so mostly in the fall/winter) or for pollen allergies in the spring.

That said, this year almost everyone has been wearing a mask throughout the summer barring these dipshit idiots.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
The 'parties' still happen in Shibuya station. I'm lucky that I don't have to go anywhere near it.