• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Looks like the Wii U situation is repeating itself. Cheaters have begun appearing in Splatoon 2 and there have been multiple reports of people modyding the weapons parameters and basically becoming invincible.

Is Nintendo going to actually do something this time? And before somebody mentions the recent bans, only two people in total have been banned and theta because they were part of the team who researched Switch homebrew and naturally experimented with requests to Nintendo servers, not a single normal user of homebrew / CFW has been banned.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't bother with Splatoon because the console was already dead when cheaters started to pour in.
Just like every other console manufactor, they'll obviously take actions when it concerns games that are still being updated.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Seriously, if this is not addressed in the same manor as PS Plus or Xbox Live, than I can't imagine people putting down even 20 bucks a year for online play. Cheaters kill playerbases dead.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed too some strange cases in Splatoon 2. Most of them I consider as lag, but others ... Recently I saw a player with a splattershot rolling, and that's not lag.

Splatoon is the only game I play online, if this keeps happening, I can't see me paying to play online.

PS: imagine if hackers start playing online with the special weapons from salmon run.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Annual fee and no anti cheat eh?
Was cheating on Wii U bad? I remember it being hilariously awful on Wii

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Nuke the accounts Nintendo! Not something I want to deal with in any online community.

Also, why do people do this? Like, how is it fun knowing you are cheating to be good?

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
If you see those people, please use report function through switch online app. I know I will because I don't want to have online infested with this

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Annual fee and no anti cheat eh?
Was cheating on Wii U bad? I remember it being hilariously awful on Wii
What is "anti-cheat"?

They will definitely be trying to shut it down via firmware patches, banning online connections, and fixes, just like they always have. There is the same "anti-cheat" as everything else.

Will

Oct 26, 2017
This became very rampant in the first Splatoon. Its a shame to see it happening so early in the sequel's life.

Deleted member 11986

Oct 27, 2017
Well the $20 sub. should work both ways. A lot of people justified Nintendo to charge for online play with much little to offer initially. Now it's up to Nintendo to put the money where mouth is.

Oct 25, 2017
Well the $20 sub. should work both ways. A lot of people justified Nintendo to charge for online play with much little to offer initially. Now it's up to Nintendo to put the money where mouth is.
That online service fee ain't got nothing to do with patching up online security in general and banning cheat accounts.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Can someone explain what is happening in those videos?

Because the first one sounds like lag and the second one I haven't seen anything different

(note: i haven't played much of splatoon 2)

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
The guy that did it in the first clip as much as admitted to it on the Twitter thread. His friend has the same hack, but he said he's not stupid enough to use it in public matches and he's angry with the guy in the clip. The guy posted his discord info.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Ugh. I like "homebrew" (which usually amounts to emulators), but usually much later in a console's life for reasons like this, and piracy scaring smaller devs.

Laggers can be bad enough, but this is a shame to see in what's otherwise one of the best competitive shooters out there.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California

Because the first one sounds like lag and the second one I haven't seen anything different

Looks as if it was hacked to increase the fire rate of the rapid blaster in the first clip. Second looks like it's got a range increase and a shortened charge time?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These people are idiots. WiiUs ban circumvention is no longer possible so someone's going to be in for a rude awakening.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The guy that did it in the first clip as much as admitted to it on the Twitter thread. His friend has the same hack, but he said he's not stupid enough to use it in public matches and he's angry with the guy in the clip. The guy posted his discord info.
So it was a private match?

Will

Oct 26, 2017

The first video shows a rapid blaster with a rate of fire mod. It isn't supposed to fire nearly that fast and it makes the weapon pretty bullshit to deal with.

In the second video the blaster has a range mod. He shouldn't be able to shoot that far while standing in the spawn point where he can't be hit. The range you're seeing there is longer than sniper class weapons.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Seriously, if this is not addressed in the same manor as PS Plus or Xbox Live, than I can't imagine people putting down even 20 bucks a year for online play. Cheaters kill playerbases dead.

... because there are no cheaters on those services. Unless you mean a report feature, I have no idea what you think Sony and Microsoft do about cheating.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The first video shows a rapid blaster with a rate of fire mod. It isn't supposed to fire nearly that fast and it makes the weapon pretty bullshit to deal with.

In the second video the blaster has a range mod. He shouldn't be able to shoot that far while standing in the spawn point where he can't be hit. The range you're seeing there is longer than sniper class weapons.
Thanks for this, because I never played the games and didn't know what I was looking at

Deleted member 11986

Oct 27, 2017
That online service fee ain't got nothing to do with patching up online security in general and banning cheat accounts.
But it sure worked in the past when it was free. And "free" was the counter-argument for the incompetence of not doing that properly in the past. Just because Nintendo should be banning cheaters now before the sub charging is going online Nintendo has to show some goodwill too.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Hackers ruined Mario Kart on Wii, 3DS and Wii U. I hope they come down hard on this.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
... because there are no cheaters on those services. Unless you mean a report feature, I have no idea what you think Sony and Microsoft do about cheating.
Just the fact that you can report based on gamer tags instead of needing that stupid friend code makes the other two much better already. Nobody can report these people from seeing these clips unless they happen to have them on their friend list or run into them in online play.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't like homebrew happening so early. It's all cool and magic at first but then the assholes come and screw it all for everyone else.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It's also kinda ridiculous how the game server just believes any parameter the clients give for their weapons, even if it's obvious that a weapon with those parameters don't exist.

Consequences of the P2P architecture.