• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to play via GamePass or purchase?

• GamePass

Votes: 1,488 79.7%
  • Purchase

Votes: 378 20.3%

• Total voters

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're in 2023, the year of Starfield and it got me thinking. Do I want to play it via GamePass or do I want to splurge a little and just buy the game outright?

On one hand GamePass would be a cheaper way to play the game but on the other hand I'm not quite sure how mods would work with the GamePass version and maybe buying it full price on Steam would be the better route for potential Steam Workshop and easy modding.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Any Xbox 1st party is GP. I'm already all digital. No point for me to own a box with a code.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass for me, but if performance on PC is decent I will probably purchase on Steam too

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I haven't bought a single game on Series X since I bought it at launch but Starfield might be the first one I buy.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
XCloud for me so Game Pass, I guess?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass on Xbox, full purchase if I decide to get it on PC.

I have no qualms using Gamepass for XGS games. That's the whole selling point of the service after all.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
I plan on playing via GamePass at launch (probably via Cloud) and then paying it afterwards. Paying full price for games is something reaaaally difficult where I live, money wise :b

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft bought Zenimax FOR Game Pass. Unless there is some weird performance/quality difference between the Steam and Windows Store version (which I'm seeing less and less of lately but do admit it was definitely a thing), I'm just gonna play it via Game Pass

Oct 30, 2017
I suspect it may be a title I'd like to buy on PC after its been out for a few years. I'll probably end up buying it when it's $20 or so.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Purchase. Todd Howard deserves all of me, but in this case all I can give is my money. Gamepass just enables me to not open the CE.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Purchase on PC, hope they have cross save for series s

Oct 28, 2017
Starting on Gamepass but will purchase on principle if it hangs with Skyrim for that sheer "I could play this forever" feeling.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If you're on PC and want any sort of modding support from the community, you need to get it on steam. Gamepass versions of games, even with the recent modding updates, aren't usually compatible with stuff the modding community puts out. Not 100% anyways.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass has never interested me but this year they have :

Eiyuden Chronicles
Lies of P
Starfield
Wo-Long

And I want to play all 4 so I'll be getting in there.

If you're on PC and want any sort of modding support from the community, you need to get it on steam. Gamepass versions of games, even with the recent modding updates, aren't usually compatible with stuff the modding community puts out. Not 100% anyways.

Bethesda games tend to support modding by default so I don't think it will be a huge deal.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Buying it on Series X, this is the type of game I'll want to play for the next 10+ years, so I'd rather own it outright

Wiltsghost

Nov 27, 2018
If you want to heavily mod on pc I would recommend the steam version. Script extenders don't work with the game pass versions so that is leaving out a ton of mods. Maybe there will be a workaround once Starfield comes out but who knows.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
PC GamePass. If it's on GamePass I'm not going to spend money to buy it elsewhere, it frees that money up to buy games you can't get on GP.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I would say play it on Game Pass the first time through and then buy it on steam for mod support seeing as they likely wont be made the day of.

Your save will likely be cloud synced like every other MS game even single player stuff that you can use on Steam.

Ill play on PCGP/XGP as I dont really mess with mods much but will look into it after the first play through

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I've got Gamepass til 2024 so I'll try it there first anyways. I'm not expecting much after Fallout 4 tbh.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Gamepass. Im subbed for another two years for it. It's the big reason why i got an Series X and preordered it after the Bethesda Acquisition got announced. Year For GP is looking very promising.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Game Pass for me for sure

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass and then buy on PC once there's some great mods out there.

Caveat is if it runs like butter on the Steam Deck and then I'll buy it day one and play there.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass has never interested me but this year they have :

Eiyuden Chronicles
Lies of P
Starfield
Wo-Long

And I want to play all 4 so I'll be getting in there.

Bethesda games tend to support modding by default so I don't think it will be a huge deal.
Of course. That doesn't mean that modders will support that version of the game. Skyrim is an example of a game that is not being supported fully in gamepass by major mods such as skse.