• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
this really is the underlying point that many don't want to realize lol.
You've consistently wanted to believe this throughout the thread, and yet continue to be wrong. I'm sure that won't stop you. He committed a crime. He was held for that crime. And then found guilty and sentenced for that crime. Just like a citizen of that country would have been. Not sure what about that is so difficult for you to grasp though.

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding of the verdict's outcome is that, 1) were Rocky et al Swedish residents, they'd likely have served up to a couple extra months due to existence of repeat offence potential, but heading back to US nullifies that, and 2) had the bottle thing proved out in court - instead of remaining inconclusive due to lack of solid evidence - that six month sentence the prosecution were floating would have likely surfaced.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Celebrities commit crimes all the time. People with power and influence commit crimes all the time. Why is ASAP Rocky of all people getting so much vitriol?
Is he? I see much more vitriol in threads about celebs cheating their partner or something, this is about violent assault and rather than vitriol there's been a lot of defense and even justification for his actions (in previous threads atleast). Haven't seen any "Asap Rocky canceled" posts either. I really don't know where you're seeing all this alleged vitriol towards him, atleast more than is deserved. He and his group assaulted someone, they broke the law, so it's not "vitriol" if people are satisfied that he got convicted or thought that he should be. It wouldn't be vitriolic to even think that he got away too easy, especially considering we have people who earlier have defended his actions are now saying that this was still a win for Rocky. Maybe the sentencing was indeed bit too lenient (generally I think Nordic countries are when it comes to violence).

Also if you're going to bring racism to the discussion, you would be a fool to overlook the victim being a middle-eastern immigrant/refugee. Whose side you think Swedish racists, cops or not, take on this? US rapper visiting their country, or a middle-eastern refugees who have mobilized the racists/far right in Sweden this decade.

Last edited:

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
My understanding of the verdict's outcome is that, 1) were Rocky et al Swedish residents, they'd likely have served up to a couple extra months due to existence of repeat offence potential, but heading back to US nullifies that, and 2) had the bottle thing proved out in court - instead of remaining inconclusive due to lack of solid evidence - that six month sentence the prosecution were floating would have likely surfaced.
1) If they were swedish residents they would most likely not have been deemed a flight risk and probably wouldn't have been put in jail at all. Suspended sentence are common for first time offenders in assault cases so the outcome could just as well have been that he wouldn't have served any time at all.
2) Had they been able to prove the bottle the sentence would likely have been slightly harder. Maybe not six months but a couple of months in prison wouldn't have surprised.

You've consistently wanted to believe this throughout the thread, and yet continue to be wrong. I'm sure that won't stop you. He committed a crime. He was held for that crime. And then found guilty and sentenced for that crime. Just like a citizen of that country would have been. Not sure what about that is so difficult for you to grasp though.

I'm not arguing that Rocky if Rocky is guility. This is a W for Rocky, you think he gives a fuck about a suspended sentence or having a record in Sweden. Hell, I'm pretty sure he has a record in NY lol. Dude was thinking he was going to be facing months, and only has to throw his pocket change at the problem. Yeah, that's a win for Rocky.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I'm not arguing that Rocky if Rocky is guility. This is a W for Rocky, you think he gives a fuck about a suspended sentence or having a record in Sweden. Hell, I'm pretty sure he has a record in NY lol. Dude was thinking he was going to be facing months, and only has to throw his pocket change at the problem. Yeah, that's a win for Rocky.
That the prosecutor was not able to prove that someone beat the victim with a bottle could probably be considered a win for Rocky if you believe that he did in fact use a bottle. Otherwise the sentence seems like the most likely outcome. If Rocky considers it a win or not is hard to tell, his Swedish lawyer claimed that he was disappointed with the verdict.

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
1) If they were swedish residents they would most likely not have been deemed a flight risk and probably wouldn't have been put in jail at all. Suspended sentence are common for first time offenders in assault cases so the outcome could just as well have been that he wouldn't have served any time at all.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the bolded but I got the impression from court info that actual serve-time was a possibility here (could just have been words). The 'non-resident' aspect specifically stems from comments made by the judge. I'll post a quote from the Guardian so no bugger needs to google translate the thing.
[Presiding judge, Per Lennerbrant] said actions like those committed by Mayers and his crew would normally carry a two-month prison sentence, but there was "no reason to fear the accused are going to be repeat offenders".
(7th para from the bottom)

Jan 10, 2018
Sweden definitely took an L on this one.

So the underlyig points are that this a L for Sweden and a W for Rocky? And not that Sweden has a functional justice system, while America normalized a celebrity President who tries to interfere in a independent investigation because a celebrity told him to, in sake of a celebrity and in the end, that celebrity got sentenced, while the celebrity President will continue to interfere in investigations and put puppets in courts, making sure racial justice won't be served in our lifetime?

Just asking.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm familiar with the bolded but I got the impression from court info that actual serve-time was a possibility here (could just have been words). The 'non-resident' aspect specifically stems from comments made by the judge. I'll post a quote from the Guardian so no bugger needs to google translate the thing.

(7th para from the bottom)
Well if the judge said that then I guess the court reasoned like that in this case. It bothers me somewhat though that they use that line of reasoning since it implies that the judges prejudices affects his sentences.

If this is a W, then there was almost no chance of an "L". I still wouldn't count being declared guilty and convicted a "W". Kinda low bar.

I disagree, I think an L would obviously have been any prison time Rocky would've haven to swerve.

That the prosecutor was not able to prove that someone beat the victim with a bottle could probably be considered a win for Rocky if you believe that he did in fact use a bottle. Otherwise the sentence seems like the most likely outcome. If Rocky considers it a win or not is hard to tell, his Swedish lawyer claimed that he was disappointed with the verdict.

Exactly, and I think the texts from the camerawoman did prove the bottle being used. I just can't seem him being disappointed, I think he's more than willing to just pay a fine and never return to Sweden.

So the underlyig points are that this a L for Sweden and a W for Rocky? And not that Sweden has a functional justice system, while America normalized a celebrity President who tries to interfere in a independent investigation because a celebrity told him to, in sake of a celebrity and in the end, that celebrity got sentenced, while the celebrity President will continue to interfere in investigations and put puppets in courts, making sure racial justice won't be served in our lifetime?

Just asking.

It's so wild that A$AP Rocky is the one causing these extreme takes on America.

Jan 10, 2018
I disagree, I think an L would obviously have been any prison time Rocky would've haven to swerve.

Exactly, and I think the texts from the camerawoman did prove the bottle being used. I just can't seem him being disappointed, I think he's more than willing to just pay a fine and never return to Sweden.

It's so wild that A$AP Rocky is the one causing these extreme takes on America.

I'm not sure if I should reply to someone who argues in serious matters with Ls and Ws.

Guess I take the L on that one.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
People love to feel righteous when they're not in someone else's shoes. It's a simple thing to understand. "The dumbshit" "the fucker" lol. It's incredible how jealous people on the internet are that they don't have what others have. It's also incredible how perfect everyone's lives are that they can pass judgement on everyone about every thing they do because no one can pass judgement on them behind their keyboards.
Careful with that big brain, you could hurt someone.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky: *is found guilty*
Era stans: lmao take the L Sweden, our boy rocky is coming home.

You people have a very strange understanding of a functional justice system.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Was there any extended video of what happened? The only clips I saw were the guys stalking A$AP and his crew while A$AP was kind of laughing them off. And then jump to a next clip where they're being tossed in the street. I didn't see anything that showed what happened between that. Did the stalkers try to lay hands on them? Or did A$AP just finally get annoyed enough to turn and hit them?

"Stalker." Good lord.

People just showing their asses defending assault. Crazy. 🤔

It's a nice blend of celebrity worship, tribalism, and xenophobia. Given the amount of idiocy I've read around this case, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump won himself some votes with this blatant stunt to gain favor.

Celebrities commit crimes all the time. People with power and influence commit crimes all the time. Why is ASAP Rocky of all people getting so much vitriol? Let me think why it might be.

This wasn't even a premeditated crime. Yes Rocky shouldn't have done that. And he went overboard. He could've gone to Swedish police to deal with the issue if he had one. But is it really that hard to understand why a black, American man might have issue with any type of law enforcement?

Let's not pretend Europe and Sweden are some utopia of race relations. America has it's problems, but racism isn't an American problem, it's a world problem. It's pretty easy to see why some people might have a problem with the legitimate disgust some people have with not only Rocky's actions, but Rocky himself. Thankfully the Swedish court system did right by the person.

The man broke a crime, and was found guilty by a court of law. I don't know what else people want to happen to him.

And fuck Trump for getting involved.

Where is the vitriol directed at Rocky? Very few people talking about this are actually talking about him. People are rightfully annoyed at the entire circus around the incident. Trump sent his top hostage negotiator to Sweden. People have gone out of their way to defend what Rocky did, coming up with ludicrous defenses with most of them only ever looking at the edited footage he put out. Look at the person arguing about the definition of being "beaten bloody" in this thread. Also, the amount of "he's no angel" posts about the victim in this case when the story originally broke was absurd. This was a nothing event that blew up into a spectacle.

There was never a threat to Rocky or anyone else in his group. There was not a justification for the beat down. The victim was beaten enough that he had broken ribs and cuts requiring stitches. The major issue with the case was whether the victim was attacked with a bottle, and the judge determined that there wasn't sufficient evidence that he was.

Because they have a functional judiciary?

Last edited:

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

Except that isn't what you posted.
this really is the underlying point that many don't want to realize lol.

Arguing it is a W for Rocky doesn't mean it is an L for Sweden. Rocky should rightfully be happy he'll basically just have to pay some money to close this out. But how is it an L for Sweden? By all accounts, they didn't bow to the insanity of the Trump administration or the US public. They let the judiciary do their job without political interference. This outcome is what was expected after the evidence was released.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people are calling out the Swedish justice system when people in the USA routinely get harsher sentences for less serious crimes. People are acting like he got a caning for spitting gum on the sidewalk.

data

Oct 25, 2017
So you guys hate Rocky because trump tried getting him out of swedish jail? Not really sure what caused all the hatred of the guy in this thread
I mean he's a criminal with clear evidence of his wrongdoings.

Are you trying to say criminals should be beloved for their actions?

Oct 27, 2017
Some colleagues was discussing that sweden basically had to give him some kind of sentence, to avoid having to pay for all the canceled concerts during his incarceration, but I don't know how much validity there is to that.

What a strange take - the Swedish justice system does not have a contract with ASAP, nor does it owe a duty of care to ASAP. On what basis could Sweden possibly be liable in any way to ASAP, even if he was found not guilty of the charges?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people are calling out the Swedish justice system when people in the USA routinely get harsher sentences for less serious crimes. People are acting like he got a caning for spitting gum on the sidewalk.
It's more a misunderstanding of how Swedish sentences aren't barbaric, so they see that he pays a fine and has a suspended sentence and think 'got off easy' when in reality, that's how most justice systems SHOULD operate for a first time offender.

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, what is wrong with a bunch of you? Celebrating a criminal and handing out L's to a country because your fave was found guilty. Not to mention arguing over whether the victim was beaten up enough.

You lot need help, I swear.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
"Stalker." Good lord.

Perhaps "stalker" is the wrong word, so, "followers?" (in the world of internet celebs, I dunno). My point was, there were two guys following A$AP and clearly annoying them, and then I only saw the next clip where they're being tossed. I didn't see if there was any escalation in between there. Not a defense or an accusation. I'm literally asking if there was more evidence I didn't get to see.

Side note, not an A$AP fan. I've literally never heard anything from him. I don't blindly follow celebrities either.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps "stalker" is the wrong word, so, "followers?" (in the world of internet celebs, I dunno). My point was, there were two guys following A$AP and clearly annoying them, and then I only saw the next clip where they're being tossed. I didn't see if there was any escalation in between there. Not a defense or an accusation. I'm literally asking if there was more evidence I didn't get to see.

Side note, not an A$AP fan. I've literally never heard anything from him. I don't blindly follow celebrities either.

You realise the distance involved was about fifty metres, right? And it was after he'd had his property destroyed. And been manhandled.