• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As a total out of nowhere guess, these "exclusives" make me think Epic might be planning a Game Pass like feature further down the line. Sure they will sell the games on the platform to start, but this time next year they'll want to have amassed a few key exclusives to make a subscription based service worth it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand how this happens. So if Microsoft said a 3rd party game will be XPA, they just have no control over it (like a contract with the developers)?

Microsoft can't force them to put up a game if they've decided to delay it for Win10, that's totally up to the developer/publisher, as it should be.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
If this happened with a console game this forum would be on fire with rage right now. But instead epic will be considered a good guy for...some reason.

And why are they a bad guy for offering a better deal for developers? Nothing stopping Steam from lowering their margins, for example.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
And why are they a bad guy for offering a better deal for developers? Nothing stopping Steam from lowering their margins, for example.

These games arent there for the better rates but for the moneyhat.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/03/tim-sweeney-answers-questions-about-the-new-epic-games-store

What sort of exclusive games are going to come to this platform? Is exclusivity something you are thinking about?

Epic's own games are exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC and Mac, and we'll sometimes fund developers to release games exclusively through the store.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but you guys not having forums is a featureeeeee

btw guys, rebelcrusader is a dumb troll that always shows up in these threads. Most commonly known for praising the Windows Store

yes, the Windows Store.

Ah yes classy you are

I am for any store that could break the stupid steam Monopoly that they neither deserve or work to deserve

Epic unlike Microsoft looks like they have the ability and will to do so...and creators will make more money

But go ahead and show that ugliness you have inside

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I hope they smash steam

Steam rakes in incredible amounts of money for basically no improvements on their long languishing storefront

Epic is incredibly hungry and their new store already looks great
??????
Bascially no improvements?

Is universal gamepad not something you will use? Even on games that don't support it? Big Picture? Their new store literally has no features. You don't have a profile. You can turn off game ratings? There's no search? There's no Forums? They have literally money potted games off of other platforms? How the fuck is this good looking?

Steam literally keeps introducing changes to their store front.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Buying games away from the competition is definitely a bad guy move. Even more so when they have literally nothing else to offer consumers. Go check the client out it's barren as hell. It doesn't even have a search function!

It's nice for devs and all but seriously this site is obsessed with devs. You shouldn't be so worried about devs when it's hinged to a move that negatively harms you as the consumer. You come before them.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes classy you are

I am for any store that could break the stupid steam Monopoly that they neither deserve or work to deserve

Epic unlike Microsoft looks like they have the ability and will to do so...and creators will make more money

LMAO

Keep on being a sad parody my dude, it's always emdçessçu a,isomg-

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they smash steam

Steam rakes in incredible amounts of money for basically no improvements on their long languishing storefront

Epic is incredibly hungry and their new store already looks great
Are you for real? Hahaha. As many problems as Steam has, it has also solved many long-standing issues facing PC gaming across the board that pretty much no other platform has even tried to.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Ah yes classy you are

There have been so many well documented complaints about the Microsoft Store. But the current leadership team at Microsoft currently has a better business practice than Epic.

And I disagree with everything you say about Steam. They've done so much for pc gaming, while keeping the ecosystem open. I'm known to be a Microsoft Store-advocate on this website. But I'll never propose damaging other stores for one platforms gain. What Epic has done yesterday feels really nasty. Breaking earlier 'promises' and not communicating.

Also Annapurna. What a shit way to communicate.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
This level of trolling would not be acceptable in any major thread of the big three.

Christopher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These games arent there for the better rates but for the moneyhat.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/03/tim-sweeney-answers-questions-about-the-new-epic-games-store

What sort of exclusive games are going to come to this platform? Is exclusivity something you are thinking about?

Epic's own games are exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC and Mac, and we'll sometimes fund developers to release games exclusively through the store.

Well.....there is your money hatting proof right there.

no1

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

no1

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'm almost confident that Annapura just took the money and didn't give shit to the developers of this game. It sure as fuck doesn't seem like something they wanted to do.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
PC is so versatile, it's like 10 console-style walled gardens in one!

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Most of the posts aren't even about that. They will say they overlook the negatives because it's "competition" for Steam. Of course most of these posters don't play on PC anyway, so they aren't really affected.
Can you stop assuming people are arguing in bad faith? I'm a PC-only gamer this gen and I still think people are really overreacting about this. Segmenting the market is annoying, but it isn't the end of the world, it isn't any more "anti-consumer" than putting games on Steam, and we have yet to see whether or not the Epic Store will be good or not.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you stop assuming people are arguing in bad faith? I'm a PC-only gamer this gen and I still think people are really overreacting about this. Segmenting the market is annoying, but it isn't the end of the world, it isn't any more "anti-consumer" than putting games on Steam, and we have yet to see whether or not the Epic Store will be good or not.

People are saying you are arguing in bad faith, because, for example, you use gaslighting in your posts. "It isn't any more anti-consumer than putting games on steam" is gaslighting. Putting your game on steam does not preclude you from selling your game on other stores. Putting their game on Epic's store literally came with the caveat that they wouldn't sell on other stores. That is literally the definition of anti-competitive.

Being "PC-only" does not mean you are immune from terrible arguments and faulty logic.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. There's a huge difference between putting games on Steam, and a store owner money hatting 3rd party devs to prevent them to launch games on competing storefronts. We don't need that shitty practice on pc.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
People are saying you are arguing in bad faith, because, for example, you use gaslighting in your posts. "It isn't any more anti-consumer than putting games on steam" is gaslighting. Putting your game on steam does not preclude you from selling your game on other stores. Putting their game on Epic's store literally came with the caveat that they wouldn't sell on other stores. That is literally the definition of anti-competitive.

Being "PC-only" does not mean you are immune from terrible arguments and faulty logic.
What is the issue again with platform-specific games? Plenty of indies exist only on Steam. EA indies are only on Origin. Exclusives have already come to the PC platform - I guess people are now more upset because it's affecting more indies as well.

I have plenty of problems with the Steam platform, mostly stemming from how poorly they've managed to stop hate speech and -isms on their platform. But that's neither here nor there.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the issue again with platform-specific games? Plenty of indies exist only on Steam.

There is no such thing as a steam exclusive. When you "exist only on steam," you can sell your game on any store front. Are you saying you're "PC-only" and don't understand how things like Enhanced steam works? You are PC-only and don't get the difference between something being exclusively hosted on steam, and something being exclusively sold on steam?

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
There is no such thing as a steam exclusive. When you "exist only on steam," you can sell your game on any store front. Are you saying you're "PC-only" and don't understand how things like Enhanced steam works? You are PC-only and don't get the difference between something being exclusively hosted on steam, and something being exclusively sold on steam?
I understand the difference, cheers. Don't know why you're gatekeeping, though.

We've just been introduced to this exclusive, we have no idea of its terms and conditions, or the underlying agreement. A bunch of assumptions being thrown around in this thread - which is, again, why I'm saying people are overreacting. I'm not saying this is a good move for consumers, because it's clearly an annoyance. But I am saying that, if any publisher deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's Annapurna, whose output in the past two years have been incredibly empathetic, artful games. I'm more willing to assume their hearts are in the right place, than, say, CDPR or Rockstar.

All I know is that I was planning to play this with Gamepass and now I can't. And I blame Annapurna for that.

Yeah, that sucks, and I'm not going to downplay any frustrations there.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

We've just been introduced to this exclusive, we have no idea of its terms and conditions, or the underlying agreement. A bunch of assumptions being thrown around in this thread - which is, again, why I'm saying people are overreacting. I'm not saying this is a good move for consumers, because it's clearly an annoyance. But I am saying that, if any publisher deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's Annapurna, whose output in the past two years have been incredibly empathetic, artful games. I'm more willing to assume their hearts are in the right place, than, say, CDPR or Rockstar.

All I know is that I was planning to play this with Gamepass and now I can't. And I blame Annapurna for that.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a lot of words to not address at all what I wrote.

I love how you went from "Why is this a problem" and "What's the issue" to "this is not a good move for consumers, but..."

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well. their initial FIG campaign said they would be releasing it on Steam.

Seemingly, they've also pulled out and revoked copies of Outer Wild they had given away in Mixer at the E3 show

so sorry, but Annapurna definitely seems to be a little bit scummy.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
im confused as to how this affects anybody, unlike a console exclusive that is locked to specific hardware. theyre literally just saying you have to download it from here instead of over there lol

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
im confused as to how this affects anybody, unlike a console exclusive that is locked to specific hardware. theyre literally just saying you have to download it from here instead of over there lol

Not download, BUY.

This isn't about providing a platform of tools. Uplay does that, and Uplay is fine. This is about limiting the stores you can buy this at. This is like if Smash Bros Ultimate was entirely exclusive to nintendo. You know how Nintendo rarely discounts the prices of their games? Imagine if Nintendo said, you can only buy Smash Bros Ultimate through the e-shop. You can't buy it through amazon, or walmart, or anything, and just to drive the point home, you can't even use cards bought at other stores to load points into your eshop. You have to give your money directly to nintendo, they will decide the price forever.

Obviously, smash brothers isn't being sold like that. I can go to walmart and get it for the MSRB. Or I can go to a store on boxing day that is trying to vye for my patrionship and is selling it at a discount. Or I could go into the used market and buy it there, directly from another owner, who might sell it for even cheaper. Because there are many stores to choose from, I win, because I get a better price.

Epic is doing my smash brothers ultimate hypothetical with these games. They are paying so that they are the only store that will sell these games, stifling the marketplace. Steam doesn't work like this. What you call "launchers" and what people are referring to as "Steam" and "Epic" are actually a bunch of different things all rolled into one. On one end, the thing that consumers interact with to give money to, is steam the store. There is also Steam, the host. Steam, the host, is where you download games from. To download a game from steam, the host, you need to use Steam, the client, which is a launcher that also has a bunch of tools built in, like key remappers or linux translators. Thing is, you don't need to buy your game from steam, the store, to use steam, the host. And the way it's set up is that in order to download a game from steam, the host, you need to enter a unique pin number into steam, the client. That pin number is generated by developers using a tool valve provides. Developers, way from steam, the store, and steam, the client, when they are making their game, can make a huge number of keys, then they decide where they go. They can put their keys on steam, the store, or give them to other stores like amazon or gamestop.com or whatever. Once a consumer has that key, they functionally have the game. That key, regardless of where they got it from, enables them unlimited lifetime downloads from Steam, the host, using Steam, the client.

You never have to give money to Valve or use steam, the store in this situation. To understand this further, Ubisoft has a similar thing. Uplay is a host for games, and also a store, and also a client that lets people download their games. Uplay and Steam play nicely together. Steam, the store, sells Uplay keys. Uplay, the store, can also sell steam keys. When Uplay sells steam keys, Valve doesn't see a dime. Similarly, when Steam sells Uplay keys, Ubisoft doesn't see a dime... but since most uplay games are from ubisoft in the first place, they still are happy. When I launch a game that uses Uplay from steam, it opens Uplay up in the background, which then launches the game.

Now you might be saying, well what's the big deal about the launchers. In PC Gaming, launchers actually integrate into games. Uplay, the client, for example, has it's own achievement system, and it's actually superior to steam, the client, achievement system. Uplay, the client, achievement system is unique because when you earn achievements, you can turn those points into money to be used on Uplay, the store. So there is actually incentive to buy a Uplay, the client, version of a game. Similarly, Steam, the client, has things like Steam Proton, which lets you run windows games in Linux, or things like Steam Input, which lets you rebind gamepads.

Now, these features between clients actually play nicely. I can launch a Uplay, the client, game from within steam, the client, and Steam's features, like Steam Input, will follow to uplay, the client. There are actually clients that block this, like Microsoft's.

Epic announced three things, basically. That they are launching an epic game store, an epic client, and an epic hosting service. Nobody gives a fuck if people use epic's hosting service. I honestly couldn't care less. Similarly, if I needed to use epic's client to download and play the game, but the client integrates seamlessly to steam, I also don't give a shit. From what I've seen, it appears that's the case and you can integrate Epic's stuff into steam alright.

What's being discussed, which has never happened with steam, is Epic, the store, making a game exclusive. THAT is anti-consumer. It's not just about "downloading another launcher." Nobody gives a shit about that really. It's about being forced into a single vendor setup, where Epic is basically paying money to keep games out of other people's stores. This is more than just not being on steam, the store. This is also, presumably, not being on amazon.com, or gamestop.com, and so forth. The actual competition that matters, the competition that actually drives PC gaming. It is these fringe stores that haven't been the steam store since steam has existed that has made PC gaming so awesome. These stores create real competition, where multiple outlets are selling the same product and I, as a consumer, pick the one that treats me best. There will be no grey market for epic games, no organic market of keys. They control the transaction, they're the only entity you can go through to get these games, which, a week ago, otherwise were going to come to many stores.

That is why it sucks.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Listen. I can get the "this is annoying" takes, but the "no steam no buy" folks are pretty out there. They're only hurting themselves by missing this gem.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
That means you don't understand what Steam is and what it provides gamers. I'm not going to waste my time explaining any of this to you.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I paid $10 to play this with a subscription service. And on the day of launch it suddenly isn't on that subscription service. So, instead of the $10 I already paid, I now have to pay $40. Which would be fine, if they'd announced this earlier. But the Xbox website is still showing this as a Play Anywhere..

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I paid $10 to play this with a subscription service. And on the day of launch it suddenly isn't on that subscription service. So, instead of the $10 I already paid, I now have to pay $40. Which would be fine, if they'd announced this earlier. But the Xbox website is still showing this as a Play Anywhere..
Why would you pay to subscribe to a service to play a game that didn't even have a release date until yesterday

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
This whole thread just makes me sad. Why couldn't they just launch the fucking store front and let the games come to them.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Man, if we would get a thread for every game being released exclusively on steam and not on GoG or Uplay or Origin this forum would consist of nothing else.

I get the disappointment about the game being pulled from Play Anywhere, but the way so many here act like store exclusivity in it's own right is inexcusable? Come on. Nobody cared as long as the games were exclusive to Steam. It's not the exclusivity, its which platform gets it.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Listen. I can get the "this is annoying" takes, but the "no steam no buy" folks are pretty out there. They're only hurting themselves by missing this gem.

Would've bought it on Steam, but plenty of games there already, in the end the devs lost sales not me, don't feel the slightest inclination in supporting Epic and walled gardens. Most of Epic is being built on the back of Steam and their open source approach to game thanks to Galyonkin and his Steamspy and they repay with a walled garden, won't support it.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
That is why it sucks.
ok but youre acting like epic is charging a price for the game that they set and it wouldve been less if you couldve bought the game elsewhere. it's exclusive to their store but again, it only changed who you have to pay and then download it from lol.

it's not their problem that you bought gamepass for this game. gamepass is not their service. if the game wasnt on gamepass then you wouldve paid $40 like you said. im sure it sucks that it was announced so late but again it's not like say tomb raider where the game was announced for a console and then right at the end changed to only one console, therefore requiring you to buy another console if you wanted to play it. nothing changed except who you have to pay.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, if we would get a thread for every game being released exclusively on steam and not on GoG or Uplay or Origin this forum would consist of nothing else.

I get the disappointment about the game being pulled from Play Anywhere, but the way so many here act like store exclusivity in it's own right is inexcusable? Come on. Nobody cared as long as the games were exclusive to Steam. It's not the exclusivity, its which platform gets it.

I'm pretty sure there's like next to no games that are "exclusive" to Steam outside of Valve games. Most games don't bother because who buys indie games on Uplay? Who wants to support 7 different stores at launch with patching. This is why we do eventually see games pop up on Origin or Uplay or Twitch, it's usually because the games at that point are content complete and require no further support. There's no contractual obligations keeping saying, Battle Princess Madelyn off of Origin, it's just if the dev wants to do it and if EA wants to accept it. It's a pretty big difference between paying specifically to keep a game off other platforms.