• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update December 7th

Game director on why the game is exclusive to the Epic store. Sounds like the Windows 10 version wasn't actually stopped by this deal and it was a resource issue. Other platforms are TBA though.

http://www.ashen-game.com/news/ashen-launch

Happy launch weekend! We hope everyone is enjoying the world we've created in Ashen. It has been a labor of love, and we couldn't be more thrilled with the reception we are getting from players and critics alike after releasing live at The Game Awards last night.

As many of you are aware, some members of our community have questions about the launch strategy and initial platform availability for Ashen, which we would like to discuss before boarding the long flight back to New Zealand.

Let's begin with the Windows 10 availability in the Microsoft Store. The Xbox One launch of Ashen could not have been a better success story, in our opinion, and Microsoft has been unbelievably supportive throughout the development of Ashen. We are currently working with our partners at Microsoft and the ID@Xbox team on bringing Ashen to the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 as soon as possible. We wholeheartedly agree that this would have been better available day one. We are a small studio that just shipped a very big game, but have been actively working to get it there. Rest assured, it is coming.

Launching on the Epic Games Store is a unique opportunity that does not come around for an indie title like ours very often. Our publisher, Annapurna Interactive, approached us with a unique opportunity from Epic Games to make Ashen a hallmark title for their store's launch. As a developer we want as many players as possible to have the opportunity to play Ashen. A big part of that is having Ashen featured in a place that isn't crowded and at an exciting time when a great new platform, one that genuinely wants to do the best for developers and players alike, first launches. The promotion we are and will be receiving from our partners at Epic is tremendous. It is incredibly rare to have an opportunity like this, and we are honored and proud to have earned this opportunity. This was not a decision that was made lightly.

Epic Games have been with us from the very start, with us having received a huge amount of support from their Unreal team in addition to a development grant when we were first starting. Ashen would not have existed had they not believed in us from the beginning. We have so much heartfelt gratitude for the helping hand they have shown, and we are honored to be a premier launch title on a platform that is so important to them.

Right now you can play Ashen on all the hardware we have promised since day one. We know that is not enough for everyone. We will be coming to other platforms in the future. If you must wait for those, we totally understand. We are super proud of the game and hope you will enjoy it whenever and wherever you play it.

Thank you for supporting us, and please continue to follow us here for all the latest updates.

Sincerely,

Derek Bradley
Game Director

----

Tweet mentioning "exclusivity" was deleted last night and was replaced with the following.

Ashen is available right now on PC through the @EpicGames Store AND on @Xbox One! Find all the details about Ashen's launch in our latest blog post on the Ashen website, along with our launch trailer

---

Ashen is available to play right now, exclusively on the Epic Games Store and on Xbox One!

So, at least for launch: there's no Steam release, no crossplay between Xbox One and PC (Win10) and no Game Pass options on PC.

Was still advertised as Steam and Play Anywhere as of tonight.
https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/games/xbox-play-anywhere

aM0RuCn.png

Last edited:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this happened with a console game this forum would be on fire with rage right now. But instead epic will be considered a good guy for...some reason.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic's idea of competing with Steam is offering devs large sums of money to drop other platforms. Okay then.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Oooof...not what I had in mind about having another store front as competition to Steam. Will not install their client just yet...after this move.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Well, more games that are going to miss out on revenue from bigger storefronts/platforms (Steam isn't just a storefront). We'll see if the exclusivity is worth it. As SE saw it may not be as great as the publisher/dev initially thinks it is.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What the fuck.

Was gonna play this game with Gamepass. Well, that's a no from me then. What a shitty move.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
If this happened with a console game this forum would be on fire with rage right now. But instead epic will be considered a good guy for...some reason.
Maybe because you don't have to buy new hardware? Terrible comparison. This is the equivalent of asking you to access the game on a sub-menu of a console.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
OH GEE GREAT COMPETITION HUH GUYS.

Now imagine if this was done on consoles...oh wait...it has...and I bet the ppl that say this is COMPETITION hated those same tactics on consoles.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck?

Interested to see what happens with Outer Wilds. I backed on Fig for a Steam code, not a Fortnite launcher copy.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Now Epic is messing with my Gamepass games? Thank god for competition so I can play less games now.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't they just saying it's exclusive to play NOW on Epic Games Store and not it will be exclusively launched there?

This just sounds like one of the hundreds of "play first on x" tweets but I could be wrong.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Holy shit. This really is a shitty thing to do. I was looking forward to playing this with Gamepass and get some shiny Xbox achievements in the process.

What the hell.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Am I gonna have to buy this game in USD now? I liked using canadian bucks. Will the epic launcher use other currencies?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
What a fucking disgrace its turning out to be... if this continues on.. then sadly i really hope this whole fucking initiative from epic falls hard on their faces and fails...i really don't care if the Sergei from steamspy is helping on this project or not.. Steamspy absolutely helped developers and consumers alike but this is something that has the absolute potential to fragment the PC community, doing the opposite to the platform. Plus its epic so i don't trust them to give them my money and let me play my games unhinged... I'll probably install the launcher for free games but thats it really...

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. This really is a shitty thing to do. I was looking forward to playing this with Gamepass and get some shiny Xbox achievements in the process.

What the hell.

lol you didn't seem to care in the TGA thread when it was happening to other games, just when it affected gamepass and something you cared about.