• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it great that a publisher makes something (timed) exclusive on launch day? And even making people that are paying for a subscription, where the game was going to be on, excluded from playing the game?

Oh, that doesn't concern me. I didn't know it when it was coming out and it's out now on Xbox One, which I have. So for me this is great and I plan to play it this weekend.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Is this more about the developers move to get more percentage than Epic making a deal?

Odds are that Epic's store won't attract much attention outside of Epic's own titles. Nobody (as in relatively few people, not literally nobody) uses Discord to buy games. Nobody uses Uplay to buy third-party games. Nobody uses Origin to buy third-party games. The WinStore is appealing only if you identity to some degree as an Xbox player. Even CDPR has publicly regretted making Thronebreaker a GOG exclusive, and GOG is perhaps the most popular, first-and-foremost publisher-agnostic platform in the PC DD space that isn't Steam.

No developer or publisher would willingly take the risk of launching a new title on a brand new service, but bags of cash do a great job of mitigating it.

I still think it's coming to Windows Store and Steam, maybe just a short timed exclusive.

Oh, sure. The Steam page wasn't pulled, just updated to say "TBD" rather than "2018". I don't think attempts to secure hard exclusivity would have worked as even the developers/publishers aligning with Epic today are surely aware that the bulk of their respective audiences on PC are going to be on Steam, arbitrary delay or not.

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this would have been a smarter move if there were any reviews for the game anywhere. But as it is, I'm looking at a $40 price tag for a game nobody even knew was releasing anywhere near today, on a platform that has no user reviews. There's nothing on Metacritic. I don't see anybody's criticism of the game posted anywhere. I don't even know if this platform has a refund system.

Why would I buy this?

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Finally, some competition. I was worried this game was gonna be on multiple PC stores, but now it's on only one as all good things should be.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not that I care about this game, but people who think Epic provides good competition to Steam are deluding themselves.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you guys really throw around the "fuck you forever" so easily. This is why you claim to write off a whole storefront, that's paying more to it's devs?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to playing this on Xbox and also PC when I don't have console access... guess not.

Oh well. I don't like it, but I think the developers made the smartest move for their game, regardless of whether it sucks for me.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be hard to justify buying pricey indie games like this one ($40) on a service with no user reviews and no automated refunds.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Some of you guys really throw around the "fuck you forever" so easily. This is why you claim to write off a whole storefront, that's paying more to it's devs?

Have you read my posts?

I was going to play this with a sub and on launch it's suddenly not coming to that service. That's a shitty move.

We shouldn't encourage shitty behaviour.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit Epic. I'm not downloading your stupid launcher. I'm sticking to one DRM platform for my games, and it's the one that's been around the longest and I've invested the most time and money into.

This benefits no one. Your store won't take off just because you have enough money to attempt to will it to. This is like the video game equivalent of Bing, lol.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): drive-by posting, trolling, and a history of similar behavior
I apologize for my anti-steam rhetoric.

Last edited:

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Epic already doing more anti competitive practices in the first week of their store than Valve has done with the entirety of Steam.

So much for advocating open platforms huh Tim.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Epic already doing more anti competitive practices in the first week of their store than Valve has done with the entirety of Steam.

Ironicaly the same people that shit on Steam would have never let it go if Steam did that same thing when it was first launched if they money hatted third party content like this. Even if that would have been 15 years ago.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

Checked out their store/client and it is severely lacking in, well, everything really. So severely that it will takes years to catch up, if ever and that using it would impact my gaming experience. Moneyhatting is all they got right now and I'm not supporting that. Also for god's sake y'all should stop throwing around 'bigger cut' like it's an excuse for everything, trying to make us feel guily or whatever. Not working in this case because again, Epic/Tencent obviously know no consumer would use their store if we had a choice. Well actually I have a choice, too bad for the moneyhatted games, see you whenever or never.

Not too suprising after he sold out to Tencent, only way this was ever going to go. Shameless hypocrite.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite connection means it will be easy for them to build on young / first time PC audience. I doubt most people who don't have a lot of money invested in the Steam store are mad about this.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck the Epic Store.

As someone that lives in Brazil, their store already sucks from the start since it doesn´t let me use my own currency to buy games, and if I pay in dollars Ill have to pay something like the double or triple the price of what I pay here on Steam.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Yeah with that Epic games launcher goes on my blacklist, at least the Windows store, Origin offer first party exclusives and moneyhatting 3rd party exclusives, on PC? Keep that shit on consoles, we haven't had to deal with that shit since the first incarnation of the Windows store and look how that turned out. Fuck it, not touching Epic launcher with a 10 foot pole.

Good, fuck Steam. Edit: The gamepass thing is shitty, though.

Yeah fuck the thing that consolidated PC gaming and saved from being relegated to the past, while Epic was focused on 360 exclusives.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the Epic Store.

As someone that lives in Brazil, their store already sucks from the start since it doesn´t let me use my own currency to buy games, and if I pay in dollars Ill have to pay something like the double or triple the price of what I pay here on Steam.

But thats more money for the Devs! C O M P E T I T I O N.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite connection means it will be easy for them to build on young / first time PC audience. I doubt most people who don't have a lot of money invested in the Steam store are mad about this.
I don't care about using another client at all, I have unlimited money. The issue is trash tier anti competitive practices from a guy who was screeching that PC is an open platform where choice matters and that MS wants to take it away only to once he's making insane money he decides to lock down the platform.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Ge0force isnt this exactly what you didn't want Microsoft to do with the Microsoft Store with 3rd parties... I find this ironic from the Tim Sweeny company.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Wait there isn't even Play Anywhere? No way.
How to go from super excited to absolute zero so quick...

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Game Pass thing is really shitty considered how long Xbox has been promoting this game and how the fans were really looking forward to it.

It's business though.

Microsoft gotta be smarter than this going forward.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
It's just a matter of time now before Sony, Microsoft and possibly Apple/Google are forced to increase the dev's payout %.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Ge0force isnt this exactly what you didn't want Microsoft to do with the Microsoft Store with 3rd parties... I find this ironic from the Tim Sweeny company.
It's incredibly ironic and I was the first to agree with Sweeny when he brought out his concerns regarding UWP. Guess the smell of money turned his spine to jelly.