• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt the SteamSpy guy working with Epic on this? Feels weird that he is criticizing Steam while helping with this.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
You think the big three or APPLE OR GOOGLE are scared of Epic?
Not as scared as Valve should be. I think the mobile platforms will lag behind as they deal with different markets and pricing, so I think the console platforms will be up next in regards to increasing dev % payouts and that maybe it will happen at the beginning of next gen.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
What he hell. I thought Microsoft was publishing this? How did Epic steal the PC version from under them?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Not as scared as Valve should be. I think the mobile platforms will lag behind as they deal with different markets and pricing, so I think the console platforms will be up next in regards to increasing dev % payouts and that maybe it will happen at the beginning of next gen.

Why would the console holders increase payouts? The big publisher are not going to abandon consoles, that would be literallly hundreds of milions of dollars missing and EPIC cant force the console holders to do anything they dont want on their hardware.

Microsoft is not going to upturn their console plateform because someone moneyhatted an indie dev.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
The Game Pass thing is really shitty considered how long Xbox has been promoting this game and how the fans were really looking forward to it.

It's business though.

Microsoft gotta be smarter than this going forward.

I don't get it. I downloaded it on my X with Game Pass a while ago. Phil said on the show it was available on Game Pass as he spoke.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Some of you guys really throw around the "fuck you forever" so easily. This is why you claim to write off a whole storefront, that's paying more to it's devs?

Yes? Shitty business practices affect me as a customer more. It's not my job to make them profitable, this isn't a charity, I don't support exclusivity and walled gardens on PC, I didn't do it on the original Windows live store and won't do it now.

As for the developers, they know where the audience is, Steam has over 100 million active users, yet they chose to follow a big bag of cash for exclusivity blindly betting on a new store that has the majority of its audience attached to a F2P game.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys really throw around the "fuck you forever" so easily. This is why you claim to write off a whole storefront, that's paying more to it's devs?

If they were using epic as an option no one would have a problem with that and if you wanted to buy the game there to give them a bigger portion of your money then you could. But now choice has been ripped away. They took a bribe from epic to screw consumers all for an unknown (but probably relatively short) exclusivity window. They deserve any failure heading their way.

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Well I agree this is shit but... Why are people surprised? MS just got the Exclusive for the DMC5 demo! Few months after saying "timed exclusive contents is so disgusting, it's so bad for the industry, blablabla"... Well, that's kinda sad but not surprising. :/

Will be playing it on my XO S. Was expecting to play it on PC through gamepass though. :/

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is even crazier than Satisfactory, given I thought this game was only an xbox/win 10 title 12+ hours ago, until that last minute (idk?) steam announcement. More than one game does not bode well.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Its about supporting open platforms. Steam never blocked anyone from releasing games on another store. The others mostly do and I don't wanna support it. The same way PC gamers didn't support closing down online mp behind a paywall. Anti-consumer BS.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Its about supporting open platforms. Steam never blocked anyone from releasing games on another store. The others mostly do and I don't wanna support it. The same way PC gamers didn't support closing down online mp behind a paywall. Anti-consumer BS.

Steam goes one step farther, devs can make steam keys to sell on other stores and they support the game sale on steam even if they get none of the profit.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Why would the console holders increase payouts?
They could potentially lose games that would normally come to console first to PC because of better payouts. Epic wouldn't force anyone to do anything and I see this affecting smaller studios and indie devs way more than bigger publishers like you mentioned.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
They could potentially lose games that would normally come to console first to PC because of better payouts. Epic wouldn't force anyone to do anything and I see this affecting smaller studios and indie devs way more than bigger publishers like you mentioned.
None of the big publishers would dare move away from the console plateforms, the finances for games of that size do not support that kind of exclusivity.
And for the console manufacturers overall that is all that matters.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would gamers care about dev payouts?

EDIT: nvm, I can't read

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Steam goes one step farther, devs can make steam keys to sell on other stores and they support the game sale on steam even if they get none of the profit.
Well, we cant say for sure that it isn't possible on Epic Games Store yet. We just have to see if games pops up anywhere else soon.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
This is just really weird to me. MS thought it was going to Windows Store, they must have been told it was but it wasn't actually contracted to. Then at some point very recently Epic has come in with moneybags and just taken it away.

MS will need to lock stuff down tighter now. This is just going to end up with them not allowing other store versions when they sign up games in the future which is something they haven't done until now.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
More thought I put into this...it's wrong. I understand fighting for exclusives. It sells platforms. Epic will need exclusives to get traffic and if it benefits a developer in the process, more power to them.

It was the method Epic did this. Pulling it literally hours before it was supposed to launch on other platforms is the kind of thing that causes uncertainty and distrust amongst consumers. That's a bad thing. There were likely some PC gamers who bought Game Pass on sale because this was Play Anywhere. Now gamers are faced with the reality that something can be announced as coming to a store for a couple years, be announced for Game Pass for 6 months...and it can be pulled literally hours before launch. That's going to cause distrust in Microsoft or Steam's services...which from a competitive standpoint makes sense as you're weakening you competition. But this is the kind of shit that can lead to shrinking an industry rather than growing it. You don't fuck with consumers that way. Fuck with corporations and money-hat developers all you want...but don't fuck with consumers. This is the kind of shit that turns me off from considering Epic. Hope consumers teach them a lesson.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
I guess I won't be playing Ashen at any point soon then unfortunately. I've recently switched from Xbox to PC for the vast majority of my games and while the game looks absolutely gorgeous, I'm just not prepared to support this nonsense.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's disgusting that indie devs want to make money through exclusivity deal. Screw them!

I don't get you guys,

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
It's no longer play anywhere, so there are no game pass options on pc.
Oh, okay, I see. Yeah I was expecting some PC Gamepass announcements, now it makes sense why they were mum.

It does seem like bad timing, probably since they wanted to hold on for the VGA reveals. I'm a huge fan of Annapurna's output, though, so I'll probably follow.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's disgusting that indie devs want to make money through exclusivity deal. Screw them!

I don't get you guys,

So its fine to marketing that you are releasing a game in one place and then on the day of the release of a new store jsut say "opps, nvm its TBD and not avalaible now, please buy it on this new store"

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It not being gamepass on PC anymore sucks. Kinda surprised Microsoft didn't have something in place to prevent this
So its fine to marketing that you are releasing a game in one place and then on the day of the release of a new store jsut say "opps, nvm its TBD and not avalaible now, please buy it on this new store"
I mean they didn't take preorders so it is fine. Marketing is never a guarantee of anything

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this would have been a smarter move if there were any reviews for the game anywhere. But as it is, I'm looking at a $40 price tag for a game nobody even knew was releasing anywhere near today, on a platform that has no user reviews. There's nothing on Metacritic. I don't see anybody's criticism of the game posted anywhere. I don't even know if this platform has a refund system.

Why would I buy this?
You wouldn't, but ya brain wud... let me clarify: You can see this as a marketing move for these games, they're getting a lot of publicity in this early period of this store. People will buy the game simply because of that, had the devs launched their game 2 years down the road, that wouldn't happen any longer. Of course epic is going to use that effect for some marketing talk unprecedented sales that would not be possible on steam etc.

From the devs pov it was clever to use this (and maybe accept a bag of fortnite cash from epic aswell?), as long as this doesn't hurt their image, which I don't think will happen in the long run (but I could be wrong.... do they even have an image as of yet?)
The store is new and in the news and so are the games launching on it, with a bit of controversy on top. I think this combination will translate to an exaggerated sales effect atm

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It not being gamepass on PC anymore sucks. Kinda surprised Microsoft didn't have something in place to prevent this

I mean they didn't take preorders so it is fine. Marketing is never a guarantee of anything

Its amazing goal post shifting of anti-conusmer behiavor that is allowed when it involves companies compoeting with steam.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

I don't get you guys,

That's not what people are upset about though. It was marketed as coming to Steam. And as a W10 Play Anywhere tittle. People bought Game Pass subscriptions to play it on PC because of their advertising and marketing. It was being marketed this way up until the shows announcement. Up until the games release. Yea thats pretty darn disgusting actually.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the Way Back machine for june 8th, the game was listed as a Play anywhere title.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180608052630/https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/ashen

Now it's not :(

Yeah, MS probably shouldn't have advertised something they didn't actually have locked down.

I'm not surprised to see devs jumping to Epic's Game Store. The terms are hugely more favorable even if there was no exclusivity payout from Epic. They're looking at only giving up 12% instead of 35% (for an Unreal Engine game) and that is a giant difference.

The game pages are also so much nicer to look at and do a way better job of selling the games. Steam is so dated and confusing by comparison. Just looking at a screenshot that isn't tiny is a hassle on Steam. They also aren't saddled with the need to personally moderate a game forum that Valve will take no responsibility for, lest it become a cesspool. Obviously there are things they need to add like wishlists, etc, but I think it looks like a really strong foundation. The idea that people who installed the Epic Launcher for a single game will somehow refuse to use it for any more games is just silly.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that MS dropped the ball on the one Play Anywhere title that was getting me over the edge. Had planned to buy game pass and spend some time with this and Forza this weekend.

I get going to Epic store for exclusivity, but ditching the Play Anywhere thing is weird. And it's just weird in general that Epic got to announce the shadow drop rather than MS when they were always pushing it and it seemed like a title they had under wraps. Wonder what happened there.

Still might buy it, gonna look around for word of mouth.